[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was it such a failure?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 298x169) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 298x169
Why was it such a failure?
>>
>>332274154
sony always wins baby
>>
Marketing
>>
File: 1447967378851.png (808 KB, 980x678) Image search: [Google]
1447967378851.png
808 KB, 980x678
no proper mario game, no zelda game, no metroid game

fuck nintendo
>>
>>332274154
it's barely out of the no-gaemz phase and they're already retiring it.
>>
>>332274154
is it really a failure?
>>
>>332274294
Saleswise, yes.
>>
>>332274294
are you kidding me? the dreamcast was even more successful.
>>
I'm honestly not buying the next Nintendo console they fucked me to hard on the Wii U time after time no games, price drop, most games ended up being ported to the 3DS etc why did I buy it at launch FUCK NINTENDO.
>>
>>332274224
3d world was good, but no zelda and no metroid is pretty fucking dumb.

The console's main weakness is it's terrible hardware. If it could support more than 1 tablet, it would be GOAT, but instead it has to awkwardly work around having one when you have multiplayer games.
>>
>>332274154
Name
>>
Smash came out on 3DS.

That was the critical mistake.
>>
>>332274353
>the main problem is the terrible hardware
no, it's still the lack of software
>>
File: Jesus.png (595 KB, 708x2012) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.png
595 KB, 708x2012
>>332274154
they never learned
>>
>>332274353
They fucked up on 3D world I really believe it was meant for the 3DS they had to follow up galaxy and they fell short.
>>
File: 1.jpg (20 KB, 240x312) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
20 KB, 240x312
>>
Here is why I'm glad I have a WiiU, and this isn't meant to be an attack on other consoles, but I feel like it is the last physical media system where shit will still work 10 years down the line. When Microsoft and Sony shut down their servers for Xbone and PS4, I feel like those systems will be essentially worthless.
>>
>>332274414
That most devs don't wanna deal with because of terrible hardware.
>>
No fifa or cod in the console, nowadays is the only thing that sell consoles, if you dont believe me just see the top 10 of games on the PS4.
>>
Architecture and hardware.

Not having access to the AAA multiplats while means the fickle casuals (who've mostly moved on to getting their fix from mobile phone games) don't care about the Wii U.

Sad as it has the best exclusives of anything this gen.
>>
>>332274474
The game lineup for Wii U has been pitiful I would be more inclined to go back to my Wii for games then my Wii U the only thing at this point that would make me come back is the new Legend of Zelda.
>>
At the end of the day, the critical failure of the Wii U was tying it too heavily to the Wii. For two years, people were confusing it for an add-on for the Wii. The low early adoption rate drove in the rest of the nails.
>>
Probably the hardware.

If it was on par with the PS4 and Xbone then ports wouldn't have been as big a deal. If they had all the multiplats Nintendo would have just needed to be sure they had enough good exclusives to make the system the more desirable one. They got the exclusives part mostly right, just not the multiplats part.

They also need to realize they are no longer in a market position enabling them to strong arm developers, they are going to need to start compromising a bit.
>>
>>332274565

It has enough exclusives that make ownership worth it for a collector like myself.
>>
>>332274154

Dumb name, no proper main line 3D Mario
>>
File: no I will not provide a source.jpg (12 KB, 178x162) Image search: [Google]
no I will not provide a source.jpg
12 KB, 178x162
>>332274605
Really, would it have done any better if it had a better name?
>weaker hardware than the competition
>outdated PPC technology makes ports difficult
>slow trickle of releases over three years
>no mainline Mario game
>still no non-remake Zelda game after all this time
>horrendous marketing
>exclusives like Smash ended up on the 3DS as well
I say it was doomed no matter what.
>>
>>332274154

All their good games went to the 3DS.
>>
Say what you will about the Wii U.

Years down the line, it'll be a hot collector's item and people will be shelling out tons money for it.
>>
>weak in an era where everyone wanted power "implying pshit4 and xboner are strong"
>hard for devs to make games on it
>big ugly tablet thing
>horrid laughable cringe worthy name
>>
>>332274349
Same here, not falling for that again. Wii U has literally been most disappointing console I've ever owned.
>>
>Very few worthwhile games in the early years, still an arguably small amount towards the end
>Questionable hardware
>Total lack of multiplats
>Took years before the big name series got on the system, some perhaps never showing up (see Metroid, LoZ, etc)
>More focus placed on the 3DS

The lack of big games in the first few years and lack of multiplats were probably the biggest reasons why it flopped. If it at least had multiplats and one or two exclusives thrown out occasionally it'd be at the same pace as PS4 or Xbone. But it didn't even have the multiplats that casuals might look for. The Wii U was the Nintendo system, but then didn't have many "Nintendo" games out for years.
>>
>>332274834

This anon gets it. It has the longest shelf life of the next gen consoles.
>>
This was a pretty shitty console.
Had maybe 5 good games, 2 great ones, a sprinkling of shovelware and then Devil's Third, the greatest game ever made.
>>
>>332274154
Nintendo isn't pumping out first party games fast enough to make up for the lack of console selling third party games.

They shouldn't even launch a system until they have a Mario, Zelda and one of their other in-house franchises (Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, etc.) primed and ready to go.
>>
>>332274154
No games, poor hardware, low return investment with a short life cycle.

People say advertising, but they spent plenty, including for games like MK8 and Splatoon to the point they could have made actual games with that money, but this is new age Nintendo, where they offer season passes, sell batteries separately, shove low quality toys down your throat, and sign mobile game contracts.
>>
>>332275042
>but this is new age Nintendo, where they offer season passes, sell batteries separately, shove low quality toys down your throat, and sign mobile game contracts.

>People bitch that Nintendo needs to "get with the times."
>They got with the times/
>Now they're horrible new age Nintendo.
>>
>>332275116
>Getting with the times means all the negative aspects are taken in and amplified
So basically, Nintendo has nothing going for it as a company.
They expect more money for much much less.
>>
>>332274772
>>outdated PPC technology makes ports difficult

The PowerPC is not an outdated chip, it's just not an x86 chip which is actually the older of the two by a good margin.

Last gen you basically had three consoles all running on PowerPC CPUs, the Cell really was just a glorified PowerPC, but that still didn't make ports between the Wii, the 360 and the PS3 all that easy either. To make ports easy you really basically have to have almost identical hardware and at that point what the hell is the difference between the consoles?
>>
>>332275042
I FUCKING HATE AMIIBO!!
>>
gimmick

mario only
>>
>>332275291
More like, not enough mario
>>
>>332274154
It's not the 3DS.
>>
nintendont being incorrigible jew. holy shit
>>
>Oh cool smash bros is coming for the wii u I guess I should get that
>wait it's a 3ds title too? Fuck the wii u then
>Oh cool hyrule warriors is a wii u game about legend of zelda
>Legends was just announced though, guess I don't need a wii u
>WW and TP are for the wii u, but I've already played those so I guess I won't buy the console
>OoT and MM are out for my 3ds, seeing as I have one I might as well get them

They ruined the wii u because every time they announced something good for it they said "also on 3ds" I'm sure they would have done a bayonetta game for it too if they could have
>>
Main reason is no games, and the most games it has are just the same we got earlier. Smash feels downgraded, Mario Kart is same as before, every mario game too except mario maker. It just doesn't have anything to offer when compared to others.
>>
>>332275306
>mario party
>mario 3d world
>mario kart
>mario and sanic
>mario stickers
>mario handjobs
>mario cuck

>...
>>
>>332274834
>>332274935
explain. since nintendont love their backward compatibility it's game probably also available for NX users and with this game drought it's probably not that hard building vwii u library consisting 90% of it's game. it is sexy though
>>
>>332274154
shit predecessor
shit name
shit controller
shit marketing
shit support
shit games
>>
>>332275672
If Ninty switches to x86 (which they will if they have any brains at all) backwards compatibility won't be an option.
>>
File: 1458156001569.gif (3 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1458156001569.gif
3 MB, 300x169
>>332274154
>tfw wii/wii u/nx was/is/will be garbage :-(
>>
>>332275806
I liked the wii
>>
>>332274154
Too much autism and casualization of their franchises.

>Wii U will unite both casuals and hardcore gamers
>>
I regret purchasing the Wii U to an extent. I had great fun with Mk8, sm4shing with friends and playing bayonetta while reading all the salty comments. BUT with the news about the emulator making fast progress, I would have used the money to upgrade my PC.
>>
XBOX > PS4 > WII U

Fuck Wii U and its only 5 or 6 good games
>>
>>332276949
more like xbone>ps4>garbage>wii u
>>
>>332274154
without stating the obvious.
>bad and confusing name, made casual people scratch their heads and wonder.
>2 years too late is the other reason for its failure.
>it was competing with 2 other consoles but they where flashy but with no games
>>
>>332274349
>time after time no games
>most games ended up being ported to the 3DS

So the PS4 is a failure too then?
>>
>>332274342
This is a lie, since it only slightly outsold the dreamcast.
>>
>>332274154
Stupid name that confused customers, nonexistent marketing, weak launch lineup.
>>
File: elf_sitting_4.jpg (10 KB, 273x273) Image search: [Google]
elf_sitting_4.jpg
10 KB, 273x273
>>332274154
It was a resounding success according to neo /v/.
>>
nintendo is out of touch.
>>
>>332274154
Here we go again..

1)Shitty hardware that released much later than it supposed to be.

2)Overpriced gimmicky controller that nobody asked for and which turned out completely not needed.

3)Terrible marketing campaign

4)barely any 3rd party support and multiplats are either dead online and support (TTT2, Injustice) or perform much worse (Batman AC)

5)Most games cater for those who enjoy bright colours and childish aesthetics.

6)Its name.

Here you have it, OP.
>>
>break Wii U gamepad because it's STUPID
>console becomes a doorstop
WOOW
>>
File: 1457903595571.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457903595571.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
People are so butthurt. I've had around 20 games for the thing and pretty much enjoyed all of them. They could crash and burn it and stop supporting it right now and I would be satisfied with my purchase. Not a failure in my eyes.
>>
I originally bought a Wii U for Sm4sh because I idiotically thought it wouldn't be tr4sh.

But, along with tr4sh, I got

>Bayo 1&2
>New Super Mario Bros U
>Wonderful 101
>Mario Maker
>Splatoon
>Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
>Child of Light (cozy eshop RPG)
>Wii sports resort (the golf is legitimately entertaining)
>Pokken tournament
>Hyrule Warriors

Also picking up new Star Fox and Zelda.

Enh, I've got my money's worth out of it. That's plenty of good games, more than I have time to play. I don't think it was a failure, just not a commercial success.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.