[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Still believing this game wasn't moved to NX JUST
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: zelda-wiiu.jpg (164 KB, 1426x510) Image search: [Google]
zelda-wiiu.jpg
164 KB, 1426x510
>Still believing this game wasn't moved to NX
JUST
>>
>>332255430
>mfw the wii u was so bad it didnt even get a Zelda Game
KAK
>>
Ported, sure. But it'll still be on the Wii U.
>>
File: bored.png (66 KB, 203x208) Image search: [Google]
bored.png
66 KB, 203x208
>>332255430
Who cares anymore, Zelda was ruined the second they forced gimmicks into it. Yes I include the DS titles. If you think for a second this title wont have intrusive gimmicks you're dead wrong.
>>
>>332255430
Who cares?

Zelda is a meme game
>>
File: tpwii.jpg (496 KB, 1000x1407) Image search: [Google]
tpwii.jpg
496 KB, 1000x1407
Twilight Princess confirmed to launch on the Wii!

Gamecubers BTFO!!!!!
>>
>>332255543
didn't get a main series mario game either
>>
>>332255776
What the fuck is Nintendo even doing anymore?
>>
>>332255430
Fucking idiot This will save the Wii U and make it win last second and become the best selling console of the 8th gen.
>>
>>332255430
Reminder to direct all black twitter subbreddit niggers back to /tv/

>>>/tv/
>>
>>332255776
>>332255919
I wish I could believe this, because in a sense I agree with you guys but lets be real. In Nintendo's eyes NSMB and other titles like SM3DW are "main series" now.
>>
>>332255776
I know it literally only got shovelware.

Its the worst consoles ive ever seen

>PowerPC 3x WII/GC based cpu
>Shit GPU that cant even do 1080 or 60fps
>Worst controller i have seen, even worse than the wii waggle.
>almost 4 years old and still no games not even any decent 1st party games
>No homebrew scene
>No support by nintendo
Lol the NX was been worked on as early as late 2014 Nintendo knew this was a fucking failiure years ago
>>
>>332255919
Specifically, they're cutting down on the amount of time between when an audience gets hyped for a game and when it actually comes out.

Star Fox is a great example. We've had a complete 180 on that game since people started streaming it, and it's entirely because Nintendo kept so much secret for so long. Zelda U is absolutely in the same boat.
>>
It'll probably be released on both consoles, honestly.
>>
>>332256116
Please dont tell me the NX has the same horrible specs as the Wii U

WHY?
>>
>>332255556
What is a video game if not a gimmick? You push a physical button or move a joystick and by doing so elicit a concordant response on a television screen. It's a gimmick. You just take the older gimmicks so much for granted that you don't even think of them as gimmicks. They're just "what is". Children growing up today feel the same way about motion and touch controls

Now, you could argue that some gimmicks are more or less cumbersome than other gimmicks, but that's not an argument you're making. Personally I hate motion and touch controls because they're inaccurate and distracting
>>
>>332256214
Why wouldn't the NX be more powerful than the Wii U? Are you retarded?
>>
>>332255623
Your mom is a meme.
>>
>>332256214
It seems like they don't want to move off that CPU, for whatever reason. Maybe they don't want to retrain their staff or they have based all of their internal tools around it and don't want to reinvest.
>>
>>332255994
Honestly, I prefer to believe that Wii U didn't get a real Mario game, than to believe that Nintendo has dropped the quality bar from Galaxy to NSMB levels and isn't going to raise it again.
>>
>>332256214
Plenty of games are released on both PS3 and PS4 and they don't have the same specs
>>
>>332255556
This. You can tell this game is gonna be casual gimmicky garbage with just the fact that Epona pretty much controls itself.
>>
>>332256349
>Are you retarded
No but Wii and Wii U owners sure are

http://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-nx-mega-leak-specs-controller-handheld-better-performance-than-ps4-and-more

Apprently it uses ARM....

Yay another difficult to optimize for MOBILE processor good work shitendo
>>332256428
Doesnt suprise me since the wii and wii u are essentially a hopped up gamecube and 3 hopped up gamecubes
>>332256445
Like?

No PS3 games in 2016 except shovelware
>>
this is going to be a good e3

there, i said it
>>
>>332255930
Delusional Nintoddler.
>>
>>332256729
More like a false flagger
>>
File: damn son.png (116 KB, 315x318) Image search: [Google]
damn son.png
116 KB, 315x318
>>332256290
Fuck off jew you're not sliding this.

Gimmicks include:
Touchscreens
augmented reality
Tilt sensors
Infared motion detection (Wiimote)
Full body motion capture (Kinect)
Gyros
Haptic feedback
VR
any attachable or scannable device

GIMMICKS are NOT:
Anything that has been standardized into a form of control that was not abandoned and continues to be in use as a standard of gameplay for the industry. Joysticks, analog sticks, analogue/digital triggers, buttons, and rumble.

Touchscreens are kind of hovering into normalfied non gimmick territory (for videogames, not smartphones, sorry kids) as their incorporation into games/control methods has been used in ways that arent intrusive but in ways that aid the game and allow a deeper form of control.
>>
>>332256349
>Why wouldn't the Wii be more powerful than the Gamecube? Are you retarded?
>>
>>332256612
>Yay another difficult to optimize for MOBILE processor
Isn't ARM in the overwhelming majority of smartphones across the world? It's probably the leading platform for software development at this point.
>>
>>332256612
Persons 5, MGSV, etc

You're literally being retarded for the sake of being retarded
>>
>>332256038
What happened with Starfox?
>>
>>332256794
>rumble
>not a gimmick
So you're 20-23 tops?
>>
>>332256794
What about analog buttons?
You're an idiot btw
>>
>>332256973
People LOVE it now that we've seen it properly.
>>
>>332256794
>Touchscreens are kind of hovering into normalfied non gimmick territory (for videogames, not smartphones, sorry kids)

Are you saying that touch screens on smartphones is a gimmick

Are you fucking for real dude
>>
>>332256906
Persona 5 is from what 2014 and has been finished for years.

MGSV was the ps3's last 'big' game from last year so no you are retarded mate 2016 has NO games for ps3 and next year its dead
>>332256902
True but a traditional desktop based CPU would have more raw power
>>
>>332257104
But what made people love it? Last time I checked it was just Starfox 64 HD.
>>
>>332257163
It doesn't fucking matter what releases in 2016, he was simply stating that games have in the past been released for both PS3 and PS4. And there have been graphical differences.
>>
>>332257000
Turning 30 this april kiddo. Rumble was normalfied into standard every day use within videogaming. Every company uses it. It was a gimmick at first, but is now a standardly used practice.

>>332257109
Smartphones hardly qualify as videogames, especially with the irrepairable damage they've done to the industry.

>>332257083
Anything commonly used and standardized into gaming. and sorry i made babby butthurt.
>>
>>332256794
Analog triggers and rumble were pretty gimmicky when new, anon. And I pretty much agree with the body of your post, but you've only supported the point that a gimmick today might not be a gimmick tomorrow.
>>
>>332255761

It's funny to see TP retread all the same mistakes OOT did
>>
>>332257163
>a traditional desktop based CPU would have more raw power
Yes, but neither of their major competitors is using a traditional desktop-based CPU, either. Using a CPU aimed at the enterprise server market would give them even more raw power. Should they do that?
>>
>>332257590
>Should they do that?
considering most ps4 and xbone games run at 30fps with dips into the teens yes they should

if you put the equivalent GPU in a modern i5 intel quad system say a 7870 you will get 60fps+ and better graphics
>>
>>332257364
popularity shouldn't indicate whether or not something is a gimmick, otherwise something like VR will eventually change from gimmick to non-gimmick. that's just stupid, it either is or it isn't, and I submit that they're all gimmicks, how much you've acclimatized to them is the only variable
>>
Why can't Nintendo just make a regular controller? WTF is their god damn obsession with these gimmicks nobody wants to play a game on a device like a cellphone GTFO that oval touch pad looks autistic.
>>
>>332258032
Gimmicks sell.

>Touch screens
>waggle
Thats why every PS controller since the DS3 has fucking SUCKED
>>
>>332257806
>yes they should
Are you saying they should use a CPU aimed at the server market, like Xeon or POWER8?
>modern i5 intel quad system
Intel isn't used in consoles because they aren't flexible enough on price. They don't have any real reason to be, considering their market dominance in the PC and server space, but $399 is generally where the console market likes to top out at. Results haven't been good when coming in above that.
>>
>>332258573
The 360 used a Tricore Xeon whats your point?
>intel are not flexible on price
Then why did the original xbox used a Pentium 3 based CPU?
>>
>>332258835
>360 used a Tricore Xeon
No, it used a three-core Xenon from IBM.
>then why did the original xbox used a Pentium 3 based CPU?
Because they needed to slap something together quickly. Has Microsoft gone back to Intel since?
>>
>really want to buy a wii-u because it seems to have a lot of cool games I want to try
>don't want to waste hundreds on a dead console
I'm torn
>>
>>332257474
Egoraptor, go away.
>>
File: holy shit.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
holy shit.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>332255543
>No mainline Animal Crossing (not even a fucking NL port)
>No Mario mainline
>No Metroid game
>Not a single obscure game to be remember in the future
>No niche games (inb4 "b-but Xenoblade X")
>Not even a fucking FIFA game
>Nintendo safe games aren't capable to make the console successful

Truly is one of the worst Nintendo console ever
>>
File: 1443241169049.png (2 MB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1443241169049.png
2 MB, 800x800
>>332255556

>Who cares anymore, Zelda was ruined the second they focused on cinematics and story over exploration.

Fixed
>>
>>332259294
It'll probably get a price drop in the next couple months

You waited this long, don't be stupid now
>>
>>332255430
The nx is a handheld console hybrid. The console part of it won't release until next year and same goes for the nx port of Zelda U. So I'm not gonna wait that long
>>
>>332259634
They're not going release a console in the early/mid of a year, and holiday 2017 is too late. If anything, the console is coming holiday 2016 and the handheld is coming early next year. Though I'm expecting them to launch side by side.
>>
>>332259597
I heard they can't price drop it because it costs too much to make the tablet
>>
File: Yosh.jpg (32 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
Yosh.jpg
32 KB, 301x267
>>332259562
This guy gets it.
>>
>>332259806
That's just bullshit Nintendo PR. Wii U gamepad is a cheap tablet because it's not even a real tablet, it has no CPU, no memory, no storage, shit battery, shit resistive 480p screen. It's basically a controller with shitty LCD screen in it, it doesn't cost them more than $30 to make.

When NX gets announced, there will definitely be a price drop otherwise sales will go from bad to non-existent. Only reason there isn't one now is because Nintendo has most people fooled into believing NX is coming in 2017
>>
>tfw Nintendo has literally all their eggs in the NX basket
>no more successful handheld to fall back on
>if the NX fails, Nintendo fails
Going to be fun to watch
>>
>>332260649

>tfw Nintendo has literally all their eggs in the NX basket
>no more successful handheld to fall back on
The 3DS is destroying the Vita. And who says they won't release a new handheld in 1-3 years?

>if the NX fails, Nintendo fails
Just like people have been saying since before you were born.

>the Genesis beat the SNES to 16-bit graphics, Nintendo is finished!
>the Playstation uses CDs, the N64 is dead in the water
>PS2 is king before it even came out, the GameCube is going to kill Nintendo!
>The Wii is fucking stupid, there's no way it could sell!
>The Wii U is selling poor, Nintendo is finally dead!
Don't you get tired of being wrong? Scale back and stop claiming Nintendo is going to die every gen.
>>
>>332261083
>The 3DS is destroying the Vita. And who says they won't release a new handheld in 1-3 years?
3DS is destroying the ouya too, but how is this relevant? 3DS is their worst selling handheld, they've lost 2/3rd's of their market share in a single generation, and that's just handhelds. It's more like 3/4ths if you combine the Wii figures in there.

>Just like people have been saying since before you were born.
Mmm, no, I'm 34, and people haven't been prophesizing Nintendo's doom since they were making hanafuda cards, only relatively recently, pretty much after the relative disaster the N64 was and the GC being even worse.

And the contrast is back then, despite how poorly the N64 and GC did, the GBC and GBA were doing very well for them, which is the whole point. We're going into a new frontier here where the NX is literally all they have. They've never been in this position before.

>Don't you get tired of being wrong? Scale back and stop claiming Nintendo is going to die every gen.
This is the first time I actually think their demise is possible, though I still don't think it's going to happen. You seem to have me confused with someone else.

Also, I mean, even if the NX fails they wouldn't just disappear. Going the route of Sega, they'd still exist, and you'd probably point to that as if to say "look how wrong you were." But no, what I mean by fail is that Nintendo would simply cease being a hardware business.

I'm glad I could clear these up for you.
>>
>>332255430
Moved? No way, they can't get away with that.
Multiplat Wii U/NX? Completely possible.
>>
>>332261441
>selling tens of million of units is now the only way to be considered "successful"
Not giving you shit, it's just really hit me how bad things have gotten when 15 - 20 years ago 1 million would've meant it was time to pop the champagne.
>>
>>332261441

In a market that is being overtaken by smartphone gaming, Nintendo is pretty much the only one hanging onto a dedicated gaming handheld. And if recent rumors are true, Sony isn't going to make a new handheld after the Vita. Which would leave Nintendo as the only one. That 15-20% of marketshare they lost to Sony will be taken back. Plus, if the last couple years are any indication, smartphone profits are also on the decline. The next Nintendo handheld could do very well.

>and people haven't been prophesizing Nintendo's doom since they were making hanafuda cards, only relatively recently, pretty much after the relative disaster the N64 was and the GC being even worse.
Actually, Nintendo did almost die back in the 1970s. Which is exactly why they expanded into making games (Game & Watch, light gun games, arcade units, etc).

As for your claim that people weren't prophecying doom for Nintendo. They were claiming the NES would fail before it even came out. And SEGA ran ads directly stating Nintendo was doomed. Companies have always been targeting Nintendo with negative ads. And the first major push when the general public started joining in was when the SEGA Genesis came out in the west.
>>
>>332261729
It's completely relative. Mario was more recognizable than Mickey Mouse at one point, and while I don't think Mickey is particularly relevant anymore himself, I doubt Mario has the clout we once did. If we factor in Wii and DS sales we get a combined value of about 245 million hardware units sold. Wii U and 3DS is about 67 million and it's completely plateaued so it's not going to be growing significantly.

67 million is a lot. I mean, it's a ton. But as a percentage of what it used to be, it's terribly painful. Investors are looking at these numbers and this is why everyone was demanding Iwata's head. It's an absolute disaster.

And remember that Nintendo is a huge company. They sell millions of units, but they also produce millions of units, and have factories, and R&D, and their expenses are huge. They need a lot more profit than a smaller company would to be able to justify everything they do.

Even the Dreamcast sold 11 million units before Sega discontinued it and bowed out, but they were hugely in debt and also a huge company for which they needed a miracle to pull through, and 11 million wasn't that miracle. Relatively, 11 million would have been phenomenal for the Ouya, as a comparison of why you can't just look at numbers without context
>>
>>332262173
>And the first major push when the general public started joining in was when the SEGA Genesis came out in the west.
I remember the Nintendont ads, I do, but I don't think of that as "nintendo is doomed", more like.. really cutthroat competition. It was a mess, but I don't think any objective 3rd party was saying Nintendo was doomed. Then again it's not like I was reading financial literature back then.
>>
>>332261441
>3DS is destroying the ouya too
And Best Buy is more popular than Circuit fucking City. What a great argument, next you're going to be telling me that people prefer to eat steaks over turds. Look anon, I fully support your argument. But if you go full retard, you just make everyone in your party look like a total sperg. Please stop sperging out. This shit is video games. You said it yourself. You're fucking 34...I feel more shame than pity because I agree with you. You're pretty gross, man.
>>
>>332262520
>And Best Buy is more popular than Circuit fucking City.
I think you're missing my point. Saying the 3DS is doing well because it's beating the Vita is like saying Best Buy is doing well because it's beating Circuit City. Dragging the Ouya into it was meant to make this absurdity more obvious, but I like your analogy much more
>>
>>332261729

Most game developers are still happy with 1 million units sold. As the average game is made for less than 5 million dollars. Hell, a game like Dragon's Crown was made for 100 million yen (roughly 1 million US dollars). And sold 1.5 million copies. Any way you slice it, that game made at least 75x-100x profit on investment.

The games that need to sell 5-10 million units are AAA games with tons of marketing. And not all games are Destiny or Final Fantasy XIII. They just get the most marketing and therefore, become the 'standard' of what people think gaming is.

Nintendo is in the middle of all of this. Their average game isn't a high budget 80 million dollar game, but also isn't a cheap indie game made by three people on a budget of $500,000. So as much as people claim the Wii U is a failure because it didn't pull Wii sales numbers, I think a game like Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros made plenty of profit for Nintendo.
>>
File: index.php.jpg (92 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
index.php.jpg
92 KB, 1024x678
>>332262446

Sega's most famous advertising was 'SEGA does what Nintendon't'. And all their ads for a couple years was focused entirely on how the NES/SNES was outdated and the Genesis was the new killer machine.

Following this, Sony took the exact same advertising stratwgy. But with hundreds of millions more behind it. They put 100 million into advertising just ONE third party game. And I think this image speaks for itself.

And of course Microsoft did the same thing. Nintendo has always been the company others market themselves against. Even when Nintendo was doing poorly against them. On one hand ,you can say that shows how big the Nintendo name was. Even in the N64 and GameCube days, both Sony and Microsoft were taking shots at them.
>>
>>332255623
Do you even know what you just said, or were you just trying to use a meme to fit in?
>>
>>332255776
I think SM3DW is one of the best Mario games out there.
Both 2D and 3D
Only topped by SMW and SMG
>>
>>332263126

Quit memeing meme boy. Your memes aren't meme enough for my meme.
>>
>>332263368
It was good but it was nothing revolutionary. Thinking about the jumps between the platforms, like going from SMW to SM64, that's what defines a main series Mario game, to me

Not only was SM3DW not that, but it wasn't even an original title. It was just a sequel.
>>
>>332263089

>"Possibly the greatest game ever made"
Whenever someone says this, you can be sure 100% that the opposite is true.
>>
>>332263562

I would say Mario 64 was the first time Mario went bakcwards. Sure, it was their first big attempt at a 3D game. But it was riddled with so many issues, its still the one Mario game I have never competed. It took two generations for them to finally fix all issues with Mario Galaxy.
>>
>>332263735
>I would say Mario 64 was the first time Mario went backwards.
>Mario 64 went backwards
W E W
E
W E W
>>
>>332263651
Are you saying FF7 was the worst game ever made
>>
File: 1416963390886.webm (2 MB, 1260x518) Image search: [Google]
1416963390886.webm
2 MB, 1260x518
>>332263735
>I would say Mario 64 was the first time Mario went bakcwards

Only on nu vee.
>>
>>332263735
>But it was riddled with so many issues
Camera control was spotty but it still worked amazingly well. What other issues? I've beaten it countless times and it wasn't even my first Mario or anything, I played all the NES ones before it and SMW (not SMW2 because I don't like Yoshi games at all)
>>
>>332263735
64 sometimes feels too much like a sandbox, instead of a platformer, I want to jump, not walk dam it.
I think my dislike of favor of SMG and SM3DW over 64 and sunshine is that I grew up with Crash 1,2 and 3, and the platforming challenge, especially of 1, was miles over 64, but of course, they were linear.
>>
>>332263914

Read the whole post dumbass.

The 2D mario games are still fun to this day. Mario 64 on the other hand was a chore to play then just as it is now. Its a game about fighting the camera, not platforming.
>>
>>332264096
64 and Sunshine definitely feel more like open-world Mario but that's what I love about them. I think fleshed out worlds are so much more enjoyable than abstract blocks floating against a sky box. The FLUDD-less levels in Sunshine are basically what 3DW levels are like, minus the challenge, which was the only good thing about those levels in Sunshine. 3DW was stupidly easy until the very last 3 stages
>>
>>332264094

>Camera control was spotty but it still worked amazingly well.
But it didn't work amazingly well. The camera would constantly try to shift to a side view of Mario, despite tons of levels designed to get you to walk in a straight line (especially on narrow walkways). As well as the camera not wanting to shift whenever you were near a wall. And a number of other issues which were mostly fixed with Ocarina of Time and Mario Galaxy.

Outside of the camera, there's tons of other design problems. From the 3+ seconds it takes Mario to return to an active state after sliding/crouching to issues with swiming. These things are understandable since the whole game was made in less than a year and rushed to make the N64 release. But it has caused the game to age poorly. Especially after Mario Galaxy was made to basically fix every one of those issues.
>>
>>332263089
The funny thing is that it would much more expensive if FFVII were on carts instead, and then again most of that space is for FMV's.
>>
>>332264542
>The camera would constantly try to shift to a side view of Mario
I never had this problem, but I always kept the camera zoomed out all the way. I think there was a learning curve, to be sure, but once you figured it out I never thought of it as a constant struggle as you're implying

>despite tons of levels designed to get you to walk in a straight line (especially on narrow walkways)
Are you one of those people who played it on an emulator with a keyboard and now you're shitting on it because you didn't play it as intended? The analog stick let you walk in whatever direction you wanted, and you could do so quickly or slowly
>>
>>332264115
I don't recall ever having to fight the camera
>>
>>332264486
The fludd less stages are the only redeeming part of sunshine, and they weren´t even that hard.
The only thing that made them a little challenging was the lack of long jump, that is hardly a pain due to the extremly op side jump.
>>
>>332256005
>No homebrew scene

is there even 1 good homebrew game on ANY console?
>>
>>332257590
>Using a CPU aimed at the enterprise server market would give them even more raw power.
No it wouldn't, not for how video games are programmed.
>>
>>332264759

I played it on the N64, DS and again on the Wii U. The camera just changed at bad times. Even Miyamoto has pointed this out. Which is why the Mario Galaxy team focused on having a semi static camera that automatically moved. Which was a huge controversy before it came out. But now people would never want to live without it.
>>
>>332263089
>Sega's most famous advertising was 'SEGA does what Nintendon't'.
In America.
America is a small part of the world.
>>
>>332264953
I think the same courses could have been made with organic environments, and also without fludd. But the fact that they were just floating blocks was incredibly boring. 3DW is basically all like that, except instead of blocks, they're Legos. Not a big difference

What I liked about those Sunshine levels was the challenge they had. They weren't super hard, but they made 3DW look like an Early Childhood game.
>>
>>332265452

>video games didn't exist until they were released in Europe
Okay bud.
>>
>>332265516

Some levels in Mario Sunshine were hard because of the horrible camera or plain stupid physics. Especially the pachinko levels.

Let's take a game which is in 480i and zoom the camera out so far, Mario just becomes a red blob on the screen. Then expect people to make precise wall jumps off bumpers. Awesome level design!
>>
So...
Do we still believe Zelda U will actually come out for the Wii U or?
>>
>>332255430
NX kinda needs it if it wants to sell at all.
>>
>>332265897
You know, after all the statements las year at E3 and the gameplay footage saying that it would be released in 2015 and on the WiiU...
Shit man ... Who knows.
Has nintendo done something like this before?
>>
>>332265897

The general consensus on /v/ is that it will indeed come out on Wii U.

Source: I studied /v/ for fifteen years during the Cold War.
>>
>>332264961
i meant the scene cracking it but whatever
>>
File: aonuma_whatstheuse.png (423 KB, 669x1074) Image search: [Google]
aonuma_whatstheuse.png
423 KB, 669x1074
>>332265897

Aonuma keeps claiming it'll be released on the Wii U. Even mocking reporters for claiming it won't.

But its also Aonuma. Who has been routinely proven wrong by people on his own staff. More than likely, the game will release simultaneously on the Wii U and NX. Just like Twilight Princess did on GameCube and Wii. This will give Nintendo a huge launch title for the NX.
>>
>>332266105
I don't seem to remember having my hype killed every direct.
The only things we hear from Aonuma are "The game is looking beautiful" or "It will make you want to play Twilight Princess again" or something like that
>>
>>332256794
do you have any idea what forum sliding actually is?
>>
>>332255430
Just what OP?
>>
>>332266358
>mocking reporterd claiming it won't
Source?
>>
>>332266642
sauce on pic?
>>
>>332265897
There's no way in hell it won't come out for Wii U after they showed it off on the fucking Wii U gamepad for fuck's sake

The question is whether or not it'll come out on the NX *as well*, not *instead*
>>
>>332255543
It didn't get much of anything big besides Smash and Mario Kart honestly. Splatoon as the new big IP too I guess.

>no big Mario platformer
>no official Zelda
>no Metroid
>Smash felt like soulless, recycled Brawl shit and wasn't even that good
>Xenoblade X failed to live up to the hype

>>332255556
Also this. I feel that Zelda U is quite literally the franchise's last chance before it falls into Metroid or even irrelevant Sonic or Asscreed-tier territory.
>>
>>332263562
>Thinking about the jumps between the platforms, like going from SMW to SM64, that's what defines a main series Mario game, to me
Are you seriously suggesting that every new Mario game has to make a leap the equivalent of fucking 2D to 3D? That's not only insane, I think it may actually be an impossible standard. Sunshine certainly didn't meet it.
SM3DW is a full-length, console Mario game centered around 3D platforming, made by the main Mario team. It's a mainline Mario game whether you faggots accept it or not.
>>
>>332267732

I'm sure its still coming to the Wii U. But there's been plenty of games which were shown off for one system, but eventually got delayed to a new system.

Final Fantasy XV and Last Guardian still aren't out.
>>
>>332268880
>SM3DW is a full-length, console Mario game centered around 3D platforming, made by the main Mario team. It's a mainline Mario game whether you faggots accept it or not.
It's also merely a sequel to a handheld Mario game, whether you want to accept it or not
>>
>>332269675
that's still main series numbnuts
>>
>>332269675
I'm going to let you in on a little secret, anon.
Super Mario 3D Land is a mainline 3D Mario too.
>>
>>332256005
Sm4sh is natively 1070p 60fps, and the only AAA console game to be so.

Why are you in this thread if you don't know what you're talking about?
>>
>>332269818
>>332269861
was super mario land main series then?
no, it wasn't
it was a fucking handheld game that was passable because it was a handheld game, not because it was actually good

and if instead of SMW we got SML2, people would be equally pissed off about it. Not because SML2 was bad, but because it's just a sequel to a mediocre handheld game. SMW on the other hand, was revolutionary
>>
>>332266358

That smug cunt's face.
>>
>>332269675

I hate people who think handheld games can't be a 'main' series game. Its also stupid to argue what's a 'main' series game in Mario anyway. Mario Land has just as much right to be a main series game as Mario 2, Yoshi's Island or Galaxy.
>>
File: 1458586425498.jpg (12 KB, 331x334) Image search: [Google]
1458586425498.jpg
12 KB, 331x334
>>332256005
>>Shit GPU that cant even do 1080 or 60fps
>>Worst controller i have seen, even worse than the wii waggle.
>>almost 4 years old and still no games not even any decent 1st party games
>>No homebrew scene
>>No support by nintendo

most everyone here agrees that 60fps Smash works, it had plenty of first party games that were at least worth it (mario kart 9, splatoon, SM3DW, SM4SH, Pikmin 3), homebrewing is still evolving on the system and the gamepad is comfy as fuck
>>
>>332270259
I agree with you fully but here's the thing, Does the people at Nintendo think so as well?
>>
>>332259562
go home arin
>>
>>332259556
>>Not a single obscure game to be remember in the future
That's what #FE is, anon.
>>
>>332270450

Mario is worked on by multiple people. Its not just Miyamoto's child like most people think. The very first Mario games were co developed with people like Tezuka and Koizumi. And they all have a different view of what a mainline Mario game is. For example, Tezuka thinks his Yoshi games are mainline (hence why Yoshi's Island was called Mario World 2).

Gunpei Yokoi's Mario Land games may not get mainline recognition because they got overtaken by the Wario series. And because sadly, Yokoi died. I really hope someone will revive the Mario Land series With Daisy as the playable character. But it probably won't be Miyamoto or Tezuka who does it. Since they prefer other types of Mario games.
>>
File: captain_swag.gif (506 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
captain_swag.gif
506 KB, 500x600
>>332259556

>Not a single obscure game to be remember in the future
Pretty sure people will remember Splatoon, Captain Toad and Mario Maker. Hopefully Nintendo will make sequels to these.

I consider Captain Toad to be the true successor to Mario Galaxy.
>>
You don't have the balls to bet that it won't come to WiiU
>>
>>332270178
Super Mario Land was made by a totally different team, anon, Nintendo R&D1. It's also always been treated as a spin-off.
And honestly? What's actually so "revolutionary" about Super Mario World compared to Super Mario Brothers 3? The spin jump? Yoshi? Activating switch palaces?
Super Mario World was well received because it was a goddamn well-designed Mario game, not because it made some huge conceptual leap for the series.
>>
>>332271027
God damn Captain Toad is so comfy, I'm glad it was the game I bought with my Wii U instead of something else, otherwise I may never have played it
>>
>no zelda
>no proper 3d mario game
>no 3d games for other mascots like Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby etc
>no metroid
>star fox is shovelware shite
>no more Rogue Squadron or other Star Wars games
>no more fun James Bond games
>STILL no console pokemon rpg

Everything I used to love about Nintendo is gone. After this abortion of a console, I think next gen will be the first I don't buy a nintendo console.
>>
>>332271745
>>STILL no console pokemon rpg

I remember daydreaming as a child while playing Pokemon Red, imagining the day when I'd be playing a fully 3d pokemon game on a console. Nintendo are useless.
>>
ITT: idiot doomsayers who are upset they can't hate nintendo to death

you sonyshits need games to play instead of shitposting all the time.

Now give me some (You) cause that's all you shits are good for.
>>
>>332271885
You can blame Game Freak for that shit. Their incompetence has held the series back for something like a decade now.
>>
>332271918
>B-B-BUT SONY

grow up
>>
>>332271745

>no zelda
Its coming.
>no proper 3d mario game
There was two. Plus spin offs like Captain Toad, Mario Kart and Mario Party. You just didn't like them. Nothing wrong with not liking them. But don't claim it had zero 3D Mario games.

>no 3d games for other mascots like Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby etc
All the games are technically 3D, even if they are side scrollers. And why are you so obsessed with 3D anyway? Some series like Kirby and Donkey Kong do far better as a side scroller.

>no metroid
Same story as the N64 and DS.

>star fox is shovelware shite
Not really. That's Metroid Prime Federation Force.

>no more Rogue Squadron or other Star Wars games
Not the fault of Nintendo. But why do you want another Rogue Squadron game? Rogue Squadron III was one of the biggest disappointments on the GameCube. Also, there wasn't one on the Wii either so what di you expect?

>no more fun James Bond games
Do you even know what a third party is?

>STILL no console pokemon rpg
Its never going to happen as long as the handheld games continue to sell 10-15 million. Nintendo is not going to make a console version that will compete with the handheld games.

Aside from this, we still got games like Pokemon Colosseum and Revolution. Which technically are RPGs. Even if they suck and miss half the content of the handheld games.

A console Pokemon game (or Pokemon MMO) won't happen unless the handheld games start really crashing in sales.
>>
>>332271885
>>332271918
Pokémon Colosseum and TOP KEK were really good. The only thing that made them kinda suck was that you were forced to 2-on-2 battles throughout the whole game, except for the GBA battle modes.
>>
>>332261441
>Mmm, no, I'm 34, and people haven't been prophesizing Nintendo's doom since they were making hanafuda cards, only relatively recently, pretty much after the relative disaster the N64 was and the GC being even worse.
You're actually wrong here m8

There's archives from forums that go all the way back to the late 80s with people saying how the Genesis would destroy Nintendo or how the TG 16 would be the death blow to them.

It's amazing how little things change over the years
>>
>>332272763

To Sega's credit - Nintendo did lose 50 per cent of its market share and failed to dominate ever again with the brief anomaly of the Wii.

It's becoming apparent the Wii was a right time/right place kind of deal while Sony is clearly very smart and calculated in its business strategy.

Basically - lie about your hardware and promise people the moon with your content.
>>
>>332261083
>The 3DS is destroying the Vita. And who says they won't release a new handheld in 1-3 years?
It's also undertracking against every other Nintendo handheld, despite having the most models.
>>
>>332272763

What I find the most funny is back in the NES/SNES days, it was always that kid who wanted to be different who would bitch and moan about how much Nintendo sucks. And yet when Nintendo finally got surpassed by Sony, those contrarians still went on hating Nintendo as if it was the cool thing to do.

You'd think people would start becoming Nintendo fanboys just to like the less popular thing. But instead those wanna be trend hoppers got into Starbucks and iphones.
>>
>>332261441
>It's more like 3/4ths if you combine the Wii figures in there.
Actually it's closer to 9/10ths.

The 3DS, despite having like 5 models and a number of SKUs, is still a third of what the DS was, and the WiiU is 1/10th what the Wii shifted
>>
>>332273012

Read >>332262173
>>
>>332273131
That post is irrelevant to my comment, and it still stands.
>>
>>332273085
It's because Nintendo is not a company who tries to appeal to dudebros, and people tend to become dudebros when they grow up, doing the usual like saying they hate things that aren't dudebro enough.
>>
>>332272982
>while Sony is clearly very smart and calculated in its business strategy
Are they really? It seems like the only real massive hit they've had in the gaming industry that was entirely their own doing was the PS2 -- which benefited greatly from being a DVD player.

With PS1 and PS4, they were basically handed the win on a silver platter thanks to mistakes their competitors made. They lost billions on PS3 and nearly destroyed their gaming division. They even look like they are getting ready to 32X themselves not even three years into the PS4.
>>
>>332273357
Yeah I dunno. From my experience, myself, friends, family, etc, a lot of people are in to Nintendo games when they're younger, "grow out" of them, then come back in their mid to late 20s when they just want to play some games.

For example, I ditched Nintendo after the GC, got a 360 and missed the DS/Wii, then got a WiiU and 3DS with a ridiculous back catalogue to catch up on. Seems fairly common.
>>
>>332273207

>That post is irrelevant to my comment
The Vita and smartphone sales are directly related to how the 3DS is performing. Plugging your ears and pretending that the 3DS can only be compared to previous Nintendo handhelds, without noticing everything else going on in the market, is just stupid. The original Game Boy and DS didn't have to compete with 500 million smartphones.
>>
>>332273357

>It's because Nintendo is not a company who tries to appeal to dudebros
Uh, they try to appeal to the exact opposite. They try to go for the general market. The XBOX is the 'dudebro' machine.
>>
>>332273534
That's because some people realize dudebro culture is a stupid thing and grow out of it.
>>
File: sales.png (7 KB, 630x427) Image search: [Google]
sales.png
7 KB, 630x427
Why is PS4 the best seller every week in Japan?
>>
>>332273847
Because they don't know about the PS4.5
>>
>>332273847

It has a Dragon Quest game. And everyone already owns a 3DS.
>>
>>332273847
>Vita and 3DS neck to neck

Wait, what the fuck happened in Japan?
>>
>>332275265
vita is a bretty good console dude, I play mine a lot more than I do my 3ds.
>>
>>332275265
It's got that Saturn thing going on where it's got a lot of Japanese niche games that don't appeal to anyone except an extremely loyal 50k strong fanbase in Japan.
>>
>>332259556
Unless you count Virtual Boy, it's THE worst Nintendo console ever.
>>
File: hmc coins.webm (3 MB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
hmc coins.webm
3 MB, 320x224
>>332263735
Mario Galaxy is fucking boring. It was fun for one playthrough but I can hardly have fun with it anymore. Yet, I find myself returning to SM64 sometimes to this day, and pic related is why. You can only do shit this fun in SM64 and to a lesser extent Sunshine.
>>
>>332257000
>what is haptic feedback
>>
>>332255556
I am cautiously optimistic. Because Skyward Sword, no matter all the things it did terribly wrong, actually improved a lot of things over previous 3D Zelda and got a lot of things right.
And then you have the TP HD remake, where a lot of the things they addressed in remaking it were also some of the biggest flaws of SS.

So if you take SS, make it flow faster like they did with the TP HD remake, you'll already have something pretty good. The dungeons themselves were rather good in both TP and SS, and if the next game has a more interesting over world then that should have a lot of potential.

Looking forward to it to be honest.
I'll get it on the Wii U if it's on the Wii U.
I'll get it on the NX if it's on the NX.
The only thing that would grind my gears would be if they somehow sell it as a Wii U exclusive yet at a later date reveal a much superior version on the NX. That would be fucking awful, but otherwise I am on board either way.
>>
>>332256794
How can you possibly claim that gyro is a gimmick while arguing that sticks weren't?
>>
>>332256471
What does it fucking matter if Epona controls herself?

You know you can control her if you want or set her to auto.

Like, why do you bitch about more options?
>>
File: 1452601385715.jpg (738 KB, 1536x1902) Image search: [Google]
1452601385715.jpg
738 KB, 1536x1902
>>332257163
>2016 has NO games for ps3
What about Star Ocean 5? The PS3 is its lead platform.
>>
>>332266642
>s $12 toy sells more than a $299 console

STOP THE PRESSES
>>
>>332269675
>>332269861
>>332269818
>>332268880
3D Land and 3D World are part of the "Super Mario 3D" series, not the "Super Mario" series like 64, Sunshine or Galaxy.
>>
>>332265452
British anon here, it's still famous asshole.
>>
>>332275729

If you memorize where stuff is in Mario Galaxy, you can do the same thing. I completed many levels by going away from the planned route. Especially the Luigi coins and fire levels. It was by playing Mario Galaxy that I actually got good at long jumping and triple jumping. Which helped me play Mario 64 a lot better when I replayed it earlier this year.

But the camera issues, blind corners and flying enemies still cause a lot of deaths that are not attributed to player error. I've also encountered really bad bugs in Mario 64. Like falling through the ground or Mario 'clipping' an edge endlessly.

>but I never encountered these so you must be bad!
No, you just memorized everything in the game and no longer run into those problems. Just like I memorized everything in Ocarina of Time so I don't ever run into strange bugs. But I know they exist.
>>
>>332266358
Why not let Nagako Ikuta direct her own Zelda title?
>>
>>332275265
3DS market is already saturated in Japan.
>>
>>332276419

>What does it fucking matter if Epona controls herself?

Not that anon. But first Zelda started focusing on hours of dialogue and cinematics. Then entire staples of Zelda started disappearing (an overworld to explore, Hyrule, the triforce, etc). Removing the need to control Epona is just another thing Aonuma is doing to make the game play itself.

Might as well just make a fucking movie if all they want to focus on is cutscenes and puzzles.
>>
>>332257000
>you don't think a feature everyone but Nintendo uses is a gimmick?
>you must be 10 years older than Nintendo's target audience!
>>
Dual Wii U/NX release.

Keep in mind NX is both a handheld and a console and replacing both 3DS and Wii U, so it will be a launch title for NX console.

While I can see Pokemon Sun/Moon also being a launch title for NX handheld these holidays.
>>
>>332262825
>I think a game like Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros made plenty of profit for Nintendo.
They did. As much as Nintendo may have lost sales and or market shares, their financial reports actually suggest that their actual profits have kept rising. And the forecast for this current fiscal year is the first one in quite some time to suggest a decline in profit.
>>
>>332276675

She's a woman. And women hardly get to do anything in Japan unless they are a music writer or assistant.
>>
>>332276675
To follow on from this, she knows a lot about Zelda, she knows what makes a Zelda game, and she'd probably bring something fresh to the franchise.
>>
>>332259806
Sounds like you need to stop taking your facts from /v/
>>
>>332276790
You can fucking control Epona if you want.

And you know, Epona can fucking control herself in OoT too but I don't see you bitching about this.

And good. I'm fucking tired of "HURRFF DURRF GANONDORF KIDNAPS ZELDA HURR DURR SAGES AND MASTER SWORD AND TRIFORCE"
Fuck off already. I want a NEW story, not just rehashed ALttP for the 2448th time.
>>
>>332276851
>And women hardly get to do anything in Japan
See, now that's what SJWs should be standing up for. Not the bullshit they actually are against.
>>
>>332275975
This mean mama jamma gets it. SS did a lot right, and if they continue the advancements to the combat seen in TP, we might be in for something special
>>
>>332276934

>And you know, Epona can fucking control herself in OoT too
No she doesn't. She doesn't turn or run without the player controlling her. The whole 'Epona drives herself' thing started with Twilight Princess. And all as an excuse to have just one fight with a Moblin on horseback. Outside of that one scene, Epona was pretty much useless. Since you could only ride her on the overworld, which you could skip with warping.

Do you see what's wrong with this? When you start automating gameplay, it leads to more automation. And eventually, no gameplay at all.
>>
>>332255994
>>332256005
>>332256432
But 3D World is better than Galaxy by a long shot. People like you are trying to ruin the franchise.
>>
>>332277042
In OoT you aim with your bow and Epona drives herself, you can even let her run in a straight line like this.
And again, what does it matter if there's an option to auto drive Epona?
You CAN still control her.
You CAN still travel TP overworld by foot if you want.
Why are you bitching about OPTIONAL stuff you're not forced to use?

Might as well bitch that cutscenes have an optional skip button, huh?
>>
>>332276934

>And you know, Epona can fucking control herself in OoT too but I don't see you bitching about this.
Epona only moves if you hit the A button. And she only goes into a gallop if you use a 'carrot' (hit A quickly). If you get her into a gallo and then put down the controller, she will slow to a stop.

Aonuma is making it so that Epona will just run forever in one direction. Because he intends for Link to be using the bow/sword a lot (as well as doing crazy backflips). But in my opinion, all of that sounds stupid. And will lead to people not even getting off Epona at all.
>>
>>332277147
Is this what you tell yourself to justify your Wii U purchase?
I enjoyed both and 3D World is mediocre as fuck compared to Galaxy, let alone Galaxy 2 when it comes to level design and gameplay.
>>
>>332277196

>You CAN still travel TP overworld by foot if you want.
All 100 feet of it.
>>
>>332255776
>thinks Galaxy or Sunshine is "main series", but the superior 3D World isn't
Yeah, Mario games were always about randomly rouming around doing whatever the fuck. Certainly not about enjoyable obstacle courses with beginnings, endings, secret paths, and good level design.

Blow it our your ass.
>>
>>332277290
What are you implying? TP overworld is big.
>>
>>332277253
>3D World is mediocre as fuck compared to Galaxy, let alone Galaxy 2 when it comes to level design and gameplay.
Man, you're pretty delusional. You really need to attack the WiiU so much that you would lie like this. What's wrong, mommy wouldn't buy you one?
>>
>>332276675
Because she hopped onto the project after it had been planned.
Now that she has been part of one however, she's up for consideration as far as future projects are concerned.

Japanese business has a lot nepotism and ageism going on though. But if she gets a handheld/smaller game or whatever thrown her way and it does well, then she could climb from there.

That is if such a thing wouldn't conflict with her already assigned business role. Stability is a pretty big thing in Japan, and you may not want to jeopardize something that works well just for the chance of something that could do better.
Time will tell.
>>
File: roflLink.jpg (17 KB, 255x352) Image search: [Google]
roflLink.jpg
17 KB, 255x352
>>332277360

>TP overworld is big.
>>
>>332268846
I wish this comment wasn't posted 2 hours so I could explain you in detail why you are a faggot and so fucking wrong
>>
>Play Twilight Princess HD
>Get the slingshot
>Try to aim
>The gyro works perfectly, it's great
>Try to move while aiming
>can't
Come the fuck on. Why? You could aim and move at the same time in the Wii version. And you have the gyro to aim with, so why can't II use the stick to move? Why does the stick also aim?
It sucks being stuck in place while aiming.
>>
>>332277461
Yes? It's bigger than every 3D Zelda overworld except Wind Waker, and that overworld is 90% empty water
>>
>>332277306

3D World is a rehash and not superior to anything
>>
>>332256005
Just like every other console available.
>>
>>332276582
>If you memorize where stuff is in Mario Galaxy, you can do the same thing.
No you can't. The game's mechanics will not allow it, it's physically impossible. Galaxy was designed to be far more rigid and the levels far more contrived. You can't play Galaxy anywhere near as impressively as that webm, no matter how good you get, because they made a point of plummeting the skill ceiling for whatever reason.
>>
>>332277551
>>Play Twilight Princess HD

I've detected the source of your issue.
>>
>>332277567
Not that guy. But the Twilight Princess overworld is like 75% empty fields.
At the very least Wind Waker's overworld was interesting with a good distribution of content since you knew that each square on the map had one island each. And that each island had a treasure chest and or a cave.
But the Twilight Princess overworld is full with areas that are complete and utter filler that serves no purpose. You can make the argument that the only islands in Wind Waker that actually have any real treasure of note are only a handful. But at the very least you know that something is there and you can tell when you've finished that portion of the map enabling you to move on to the next area to explore. But in Twilight Princess you can ride around a corner only to find a vast field that has literally nothing. Be it in the Twilight Realm or not.
>>
File: tp22.jpg (79 KB, 640x853) Image search: [Google]
tp22.jpg
79 KB, 640x853
>>332277945
WW has a bunch of filler islands with nothing on them and the overworld is literally a layer of blue with nothing on it.

TP has many caves hidden scattered all over the overworld and MANY more secrets and stuff to find.
>>
>>332259556
>>Not a single obscure game to be remember in the future
>>No niche games (inb4 "b-but Xenoblade X")

W101 you retard.
>>
>>332278136
>WW has a bunch of filler islands with nothing on them
No. There are like three of them. And two of them are related to the dull triforce quest and thus kind of relevant anyway.
>>
File: HNI_0018.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0018.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
>>332277361
boo hoo, what's the matter, faggot?

You 3Dfags are hilarious thinking your forgettable handheld rehash even holds a candle to a classic like Galaxy.
>>
>>332278274
>what are the 6 or so reefs
>what are the triangle islands
>what are those one-time visit only islands for main story purposes

Not to mention the copypasted 5 fairy islands.

WW is full of useless islands.
>>
>>332259556
Splatoon sold like crazy.
>>
>>332278136
Yeah TP has a lot of great overworld mini dungeons you'd go into that really utilized the lamp.

It's my favorite 3D Zelda overall, idgaf.
>>
File: I hate empty overworlds.png (321 KB, 606x354) Image search: [Google]
I hate empty overworlds.png
321 KB, 606x354
Pic related never stops being relevant.
>>
File: 1458625476412.jpg (2 MB, 1536x1968) Image search: [Google]
1458625476412.jpg
2 MB, 1536x1968
>>332278136
That map doesn't exactly help your case. The distribution of content in Twilight Princess is incredibly uneven.
Some places has a lot, while others have nothing. And that's not interesting.
>>
>>332275265

vita actually has games in japan
>>
>>332278456
It was never relevant in the first place. Empty overworlds are a huge problem in 3D Zelda. Okami and Xenoblade Chronicles X don't have this problem, and the overworlds still look excellent.
>>
>>332278559
Cluttering the overworld with trash left and right isn't okay either.

Ever been to a real life field or plain? There's prettty much nothing but grass.
>>
>>332278350
>>what are the 6 or so reefs
The pirate reefs? Defeat the pirates and you get special treasure. The sea has all these random treasure chests of shit you can fish up, but the reefs have pre-placed chests with much better rewards.
>what are the triangle islands
I am pretty sure one of the islands had treasure chest. But yes, those islands are dull as balls but they're at the very least kind of relevant in how they're raise that tower from the sea.
>what are those one-time visit only islands for main story purposes
Content, no?
>Not to mention the copypasted 5 fairy islands.
The great fairies? They all had really neat upgrades and were exciting as fuck to get to.
>>
>>332278264
>to be remembered in the future
Ha-ha, no. Everyone's literally already forgotten this shit like it doesn't exist. Seriously, it's barely even mentioned.
>>
>>332277371
That's pretty interesting. It would be pretty cool if they did.
>>
>>332278764
Real life fields and plains have shit and bugs, do you want shit smellovision too? Fuck your escapism.
>>
>>332264693
It's entirely the FMV's, without those, FF7 would have fit on a single cartridge. It's also the reason why FF7 was put on 3 disks. Each disk of FF7 had the entire game coded onto them. The world and town maps, the models and scenarios, everything. It was just the different FMVs that separate the disks.

It's a shame that Square hate money, they could totally fit the entire game on something like a 3DS cartridge. If they compressed the FMV's like fuck, they could have fit it on a DS cartridge. They missed a chance to put FF7 on the hottest handheld system ever.
>>
File: 1459137528173.jpg (2 MB, 2349x1800) Image search: [Google]
1459137528173.jpg
2 MB, 2349x1800
I am just going to leave this here.
>>
>>332279236
> compressing

You are the cancer that enjoyed mgs3 on 3ds
>>
>>332279236
3ds can't even play n64 games well
>>
>>332259556
>Mario mainline
What are you talking about?
3D World is mainline.
If anything Mario 64 and galaxy are shitty spinoffs nobody wanted or needed.
>>
>>332261083
>tfw the PSP did better than the 3DS
>tfw even that is dying
>>
>>332261083
>the Playstation uses CDs, the N64 is dead in the water
Pretty much what happened though.
The psx fucking murdered nintendo.
Combined with the delay of the N64 for two years, because miyamoto is a fucking autist that's what put a dent in nintendo to this day.
The N64 was a crap console with shit games of which none except a few are fondly remembered.
The N64 also cemented nintendo's image as a kiddy console manufacturer.
>>
>>332276678
I think its more about early purchases stopped having their consoles break due to poor builds.
>>
>>332257163
>True but a traditional desktop based CPU would have more raw power
Not necessarily.
ARM chips are still experiencing rapid improvements, while Intel’s improvements are slowing down. Apple’s latest A9X SoC chip is better than many of Intel’s Skylake lower-end CPUs.
>>
>>332263735
Mario 64 was a fucking techdemo masquerading as a game.
I still don't get how people can still look at this giant turd and look fondly at it.
3D Mario was a mistake. Glad nintendo went back and realized 2D mario sells WAY BETTER and people never got comfortable with 3D mario after 10 years of constant shitty 3D mario games.
>>
>>332264115
>The 2D mario games are still fun to this day. Mario 64 on the other hand was a chore to play then just as it is now. Its a game about fighting the camera, not platforming.
This so much.
Mario 64 was a terrible game. It's more like a proof of concept than a proper game and it feels really unfinished and weird.
>>
>>332275729
>that shitty camera
All those jumps are rehearsed, most of those jumps are blind.
You can't intuitively play this game.
>>
File: 1457845300986.gif (487 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
1457845300986.gif
487 KB, 500x361
>>332281607
You can if you're not shit.
Better than boring ass Galaxy with its one note controls and levels anyway.
>>
>>332275729
>>332281710
>being legitimately autistic
You used too many A-presses anyway. Not skilled enough.
>>
>>332281710
>You can if you're not shit.
No, you can't because the way the shitty ass camera is placed there is no way of seeing objects around you.
Half of the walljumps in the video are impossible to make in a normal play or will at least take you lots of retries until you properly hit a floating object in a room.
You can't measure the distance if you don't even see what you are jumping at.
>>
>>332282627
Even if what you said were true, it's still something you can master in the game and it gives it a lot higher of a skill ceiling with impressive payoffs. Galaxy doesn't even have that.
>>
File: seasons overworld.webm (3 MB, 2048x1638) Image search: [Google]
seasons overworld.webm
3 MB, 2048x1638
>>332278456
What is the purpose of an empty field?
To impose a sense of scale? Does it have any other purpose?
Can scale be imposed through some other way than empty fields?

Why should a game have empty fields? You could have something actually interesting instead. Just look at the 2D games.
>>
>>332259798
Handhelds are their prime source of money, so they're focusing on that. The console version is for the hardcore players, so they can release it later.
>>
>>332277551
>You could aim and move at the same time in the Wii version.
No you couldn't, the stick surveyed the screen from side to side.
You're thinking of Skyward Sword.
>>
>>332284189
The 2D games get away with the scale they have only because they exist from a top-down perspective that mask how small their overworlds actually are. Seeing that map from any sufficiently high point would completely destroy the illusion of scale.
It's also far easier to create tilesets and sprites than it is to create assets and textures for full 3D environments, by an absolutely absurd degree. We're talking like, a factor of ten when it comes to manpower.
>>
File: i see.gif (2 MB, 371x331) Image search: [Google]
i see.gif
2 MB, 371x331
>>332256612
>gamingbolt.com
>>
>>332285937
Small overworld with content are ok though. And in fact much better than huge ovetworlds with roughly the same amount of content.
This desperate yearning for this sense of scale, that makes them force all these huge and empty fields is one of the biggest flaws of these games.
>>
>>332286217
There's nothing wrong with a big field if your primary mode of transportation crosses distances more quickly.
If there's roughly the same amount of content, and it takes roughly the same amount of time to get around the maps, then what's the problem with expanding the scale in the 3D games to properly create the illusion of a decent sized overworld?
>>
File: 19463072.jpg (394 KB, 1000x645) Image search: [Google]
19463072.jpg
394 KB, 1000x645
I need another 3D game with a shota Link. A Link Between Worlds might count, but I can't do lewd camera angles on a 2D plane.
>>
>>332256794
>Joysticks, analog sticks, analogue/digital triggers, buttons, and rumble.
Nigger, all of those things were gimmicks at the start.
>>
>>332286564
>There's nothing wrong with a big field if your primary mode of transportation crosses distances more quickly.
If it's empty it kind of is. It serves no damn purpose. The sense of scale does in no way compensate for how the field is essentially contentless filler. And a sense of scale can easily be conveyed in other ways or without empty fields.
>>
>>332255776
Are you Literally retarded? New super Mario bros. U exists. What are you shitposting for?
>>
>>332287020
>a sense of scale can easily be conveyed in other ways or without empty fields.
Really? Please name some.
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 673x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 673x800
>>332259562
>implying they've ever actually focused on cinematic a and story
You think this is Uncharted or The Order? Go home, anon.
>>
>>332255776
3D World is more "mainline Mario" than the other 3D games.
>>
File: image.png (308 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.png
308 KB, 500x375
>People are pretending that 3D World wasn't great

>They are just shoving NSMB comparisons down your throat

>Despite the fact that the entire concept is mixing 2D and 3D as an experiment just like every other 3D Mario

>Ignoring that Platforming was better this way without locking into one specific concept area but no because
>MUH OPEN WORLD
>>
>>332256214

>Porting on a console means it has the same exact specs

PS4 and Xbone did the same fucking thing with last gen games
>>
>>332287696
>news just in: shitposters are retards that don't play games!
Just don't bump blatant shitpost threads like these in the first place.
>>
>>332284189
The 2D games feel absolutely tiny. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but the kingdoms are like little toy kingdoms.The world map itself is a puzzle to solve rather than a cohesive world.
>>
File: 38925726.jpg (23 KB, 395x346) Image search: [Google]
38925726.jpg
23 KB, 395x346
>>332287696
>People are pretending that 3D World wasn't great
>pretending
>pretending that we don't like a boring linear game that's a watered down version of the previous 3D Marios that's spent after one playthrough where everything looks like babby plastic
>>
>>332285937

As a game developer, I'm going to tell you to go fuck yourself

Developing sprites in scale is a lot harder than making 3D environment Models
>>
>>332287368
The Metroid Prime games feels a lot bigger than they are. What with all the pathways going all over the place yet tying scenes together either through visuals beyond the horizon or select few interlinked pathways. The Souls Games also does this a lot.
And then you can easily impose a sense of scale through a focus on certain set pieces, like the mountain in Majora's Mask for instance. Within the region of the mountain itself, the mountain is huge and the contrast gives you a sense of scale. Even though strictly speaking the mountain itself is just a small portion of the overall world.
But content itself can also make something come across as larger (or smaller depending on the design). You could take something as simple as 2D Mario levels. Two examples that are strictly speaking the same length, only that one has no content beyond the ground whatsoever, while the other has blocks and coins in the path. The content alone is enough to affect the sense of scale without actually doing anything to the size itself.

Through illusions. Through contrast. And clever use of focus and subversion you can no doubt impose a sense of scale.
All that said though. This relentless yearning for this damn sense of scale is tiring to begin with. You don't need to force this sense of scale on everything. You can focus on making an engaging game and then impose a sense of scale afterwards if desired, to the extent that is plausible after the fact. Not before.

Scale isn't the enemy. Scale both in terms of things large and small, can strengthen and enhance an experience. But it is really tiresome to see so many put scale before content, and not afterwards.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 1281x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 1281x720
>>332281710

If it bothers you that fucking much about a fucking camera,here's a cookie:

Miyamoto mentioned that Splatoon could bring in players who used the 3D Camera to transition into the main 3D Mario series

Meaning whatever they are currently planning is possibly going back to using a controllable Camera
>>
>>332278510
What's that other dungeon in Lake Hylia?
>>
>>332278456

>Still whinning
>>
>>332255430
hopefully it was.
The wii u is the only nintendo console that i skipped.
>>
>>332288117
>complaining about Mario being linear
>>
>>332288282
I keep seeing you shitpost on /v/ with vampire qt flower and I must say you have good taste, can't wait to personally unlock her.
>>
File: dagger.gif (546 KB, 400x280) Image search: [Google]
dagger.gif
546 KB, 400x280
>>332281710
>Galaxy
>One note levels
>>
You guys are aware that the entire purpose of 3D World was to bring 2D fans into the 3D Series and then push from there

It was an experiment to bring fans of both sides while also having the qualifications and quality of the 3D Games

You can't just deny it as a 3D Mario because of the design

That's like Sunshine and 64 fags who are still shitting on Galaxy and 3D World
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.