[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there two homing attacks that function basically the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Sonic-Lost-World.jpg (462 KB, 1600x984) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-Lost-World.jpg
462 KB, 1600x984
Why are there two homing attacks that function basically the same and mostly serve the same purpose?
>>
>>332248265
Because sega has no idea what their doing at this point. Hell it could be argued that they never knew what to do at all.
>>
>>332249281

Even by the low standards of Sonic this has to be one of the most incompetent platformers I've ever played. I don't even know why there's a run button since you have it glued down all the time because walking is worthless in nearly every situation, even precise platforming.
>>
>>332248265

Because VARIETY
It added so much more depth to the gameplay to require you to think about which homing attack type you needed to use to kill a certain enemy
I especially liked the part where I spent over half of the game not realising the second homing attack did anything different and wasted an entire set of lives trying to use the regular homing attack on those spiders at different timings thinking it would do something different
>>
File: 1320459422601.jpg (5 KB, 134x144) Image search: [Google]
1320459422601.jpg
5 KB, 134x144
The impossibly slow walk and the need to hold run constantly to not pull your hair out is testament that no one play tested this. Also, the air control is horrible. Who wants to play a Sonic game where jumping barely covers any distance?

Running and jumping. A Sonic game that blows at running AND jumping.
>>
>>332250907

Its sad that the 3DS version does a better job of differentiating the two, the kick is a long-range stunner in that one, and the 3DS version is shovelware.
>>
>>332248265
Anyone have that webm showing off how shitty this game's physics are in comparison to the original Genesis game?
>>
File: Sonic Physics.webm (3 MB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Physics.webm
3 MB, 400x320
>>332252898
I got you, fampai.
>>
What was up with the multiple enemy locking? Shit fucking ruined everything
>>
>>332253307

They thought it would be cool
They either didn't playtest it, have the absolute worst playtesters or didn't care when the playtesters said it wasn't fun
>>
File: 1334461940181.png (104 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1334461940181.png
104 KB, 320x287
>>332253307
No joke.
>every boss dies in 1-2 hits, with almost no extra effort required
Brilliant.
>>
>>332253307

There's no reasoning behind most of Lost World's design choices. They just threw in every idea they could think of with no rhyme, reason or polish
>>
>>332253582
The truth is playtesters are almost never listened to. You tell them the problems with a game, but it is completely within their hands to decide if it's worth their time. And I promise you, they don't address every known issue before launch.

Or they don't open the floor to feedback so the devs never get told "This is a fucking stupid idea." Playtesting is not typically opening the floor to criticisms.
>>
>>332248265
>Why are there two homing attacks that function basically the same and mostly serve the same purpose?
are we talking smash?
>as if anyone plays Sonic games past Sonic1

yeah idk. one is fast, and the other, you can charge, and jump with it or something. idk i feel like they could have just combined the two into one move, but whatever.
>>
>>332254896
Smash had two Spin Dashes, not homing attacks
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.