[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the 6th gen the last decent era for video games? >DLC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: consoles-6th-gen.jpg (231 KB, 4350x1025) Image search: [Google]
consoles-6th-gen.jpg
231 KB, 4350x1025
Was the 6th gen the last decent era for video games?

>DLC was almost nonexistent
>No real gimmicks
>Very few casuals and dudebros playing games
>Plenty of good games were available on every console
>AA middle-budget titles were fairly common, companies far more willing to take risks

What do you think /v/?
>>
Yeah pretty much.

Much less shit titles and better games
>>
>>332241346
>Much less shit titles

Oh lord, OH LORD
>>
>>332241116
7th gen was decent
>>
>>332241116
The smarter anons worked out a small goldmine of games were hiding away on the Wii U
>>
>AA middle-budget titles were fairly common, companies far more willing to take risks

FUCKING THIS
>>
6th gen was that giddy period where people were just starting to get a taste of how profitable videogames could be.
>>
File: 1414369071982.jpg (37 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1414369071982.jpg
37 KB, 400x400
There were tons of shit games then
There are tons of shit games now

You're just a jaded fuck that refuses to look for good games and instead would rather bitch about how bad things are now
>>
>>332241116

>implying dlc is bad.
>>
>>332241116
It was the beginning of the end, really. You could see that quality was starting to drop.
>>
>>332242312
Your opinion is shit and you are shit.
>>
>>332242429
>>>/vr/
Go whine about how bad modern games are there underage
>>
>>332242493

Legitimate retard ITT.
>>
>>332241116
It was the beginning of the end but there were tons of great games. We even got the peak installments for a lot of great series. Gen 5 is my favorite but Gen 6 has MechAssault, Katamari Damacy, Pikmin, and Powerstone.
>>
File: 1435157189937.jpg (32 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1435157189937.jpg
32 KB, 400x300
>>332241116
>>
>>332242636
It was before console multiplayer really became a thing.
>>
>>332241116
I miss it every day.
>no dlc
>no achievments
>no subscriptions
>no mandatory updates
>no accounts
>>
>>332242406

Back then if the developers wanted more money they had to scrape together enough content to create an expansion pack or a sequel. Now they can just throw a bunch of unincorporated elements in a digital store to nickle and dime whoever.
>>
>dreamcast can't properly be positioned at a 45Âșangle with no background

No wonder that piece of shit bombed.
>>
>>332241116
For us oldfags, yes.
A kid that plays halo 5 as his first game is gonna get excited and enjoy it as you and me enjoyed super mario bros or whatever we played first.
>>
>>332242636
relative to now, obviously.
>>
>>332241116
>Dreamcast
>6th gen
Heh, try telling that to /vr/. If you don't get banned within seconds you'll get a legion of faggots telling you it's "Gen 5.5"
>>
>>332242729
>before console multiplayer became a thing
What kind of fucking rock were you living under?
6th gen introduced online to consoles and had so many splitscreen games, multiplayer was definitely a thing, even the N64 had great multiplayer support
>Halo
>Counter-Strike on Xbox
>Timesplitters
>Star Wars Battlefront 2
>Phantasy Star Online
>Mario Party
>Mario Kart
>Call of Duty 1 & 2
>Marvel vs Capcom 2
>Smash Bros
>Zelda Four Swords
>>
I think it's remember fondly because it was such a huge graphical leap at the time yet it still maintained the traditional console set up. Pop a game in and play it, no installs, no patches.

We were getting a taste of the multimedia crossover stuff, but it was pretty mild. Nothing like today where large portions of the console's resources are simply unavailable to developers because they need to be ready for normalfags to switch to netflix.
>>
>>332243454
I see you're being a deliberate faggot.
>>
>>332244323
>Nothing like today where large portions of the console's resources are simply unavailable to developers because they need to be ready for normalfags to switch to netflix
This is what I hate the most about today's consoles.
>>
>>332245017
>>332244323
>tfw the CD player on the PS1 and DVD player on the PS2 take nothing away from the use and play experience and simply give you extra value for your money.
We had it good back then.
>>
>>332241116

It was the last gen where Nintendo was a competitor in the market, so yeah.

Last Gen where Japanese gaming was still "dominant"

Last gen before MS starts actively introducing the worst trends in gaming.
>>
File: PS2 Catalog.jpg (4 MB, 5576x6912) Image search: [Google]
PS2 Catalog.jpg
4 MB, 5576x6912
6th gen was the last great videogame gen and the final straw of the golden era of gaming. Anything past gen 7th should be considered heresy.

>Sega final got his shit together but it was too late
>Playstation was about GAMES
>Nintendo still cared about graphics and gameplay rather than gimmicks
>Xbox trying to make decent franchises to lure people to buy his console
>PC games were masterpiece after masterpiece
>online wasnt too important, no dlc bullshit, no amiibos, no early access, no social media, gaming journalism was ignored

I pity the kids who never experienced all those feels
>>
>>332244323
>Pop a game in and play it, no installs, no patches.
This was the difference between a Console and a PC. Today, this difference no longer exists, even on Nintendo consoles.
There is no longer any difference.
Consoles and PCs are the same.
>>
>>332242236
It was so nice having a middle ground being faux-retro pixel trash made with spare change and bloated monstrosities that spend more on advertising than the GDPs of small countries. Also:

>Consoles didn't have to install all sorts of crap and were actually plug-and-play
>Japanese games were popular and plentiful
>Aside from the oft-ridiculed Jack Thompson politics were far away from the hobby
>Single-player campaigns were still the main course
>>
>>332241116
>Nintendo fucking DS
>some gems on Wii and ps3
7th was definitely decent
>>
>>332245603
>rather than gimmicks
Dude, Nintendo was all about gimmicks from the outset.
There's all KINDS of gimmick peripherals for every single Nintendo console.
Granted, they were never the sole focus of a console until Wii and DS. I'll give you that much.
>>

Are you joking? Fucking everybody had a PS2 in those days every dudebro I knew back then had one or an Xbox. Casuals played the fuck out of those consoles.
>>
To say it was the last "decent" era reeks of old coot syndrome.

I would say that it was the last gen that had any sort of arcade experience, before it became the online experience. Sure, the Xbox had the Live service, but at their numbers it was still a niche compared to the Xbox 360 and One days. It was also the last generation where Nintendo was relevant, and the last where JRPGs were relevant.
>>
It was the best and worst at the same time.

All 4 consoles had great games, but it was also the point where casuals started buying dudebro shit en mass, GTA being a good example.
>>
1970-1985 was the Golden Age
1985-2005 the Silver Age
2005- the Copper Age

Dunno if VR will be enough of a paradigm shift to call it an end.
>>
>>332247261
>To say it was the last "decent" era reeks of old coot syndrome.
No, I think there's something to it. I don't mean to imply that everything that came after it is bad, but you can see where the industry is trending.

Started with games getting an across-the-board price hike, mass industry consolidation, milking franchises to the point of no return. Now we're paying for system specs that aren't even 100% available to developers, the never ending push for better graphics means games take 4-5 years to get out the door and then they run at an unstable 30ps [and if it doesn't sell, everyone loses their job], DLC is baked in from the outset, and now that the general player pool is contracting the industry is going to try to shift to a more rapid hardware refresh cycle.
>>
I FUCKING miss the Xbox hueg so much

Voodoo Vince 2 when
>>
>>332241116
You forgot the best part, OP.

>PC had only a FEW multiplats, and even fewer exclusives

Seriously, it's almost shocking to see how many multiplats were console-only, and how many games were made for PCs first. While today it's the norm for a western multi to have PC versions, back then it was an entirely different story.
>>
Its why I switched to PC after 6 gen consoles
>>
>>332248985
PC, by and large, wasn't in direct competition with consoles until the advent of services like Steam. It was always present, but it had its own ecosystem of genres and games until then.
>>
>>332248564
Microsoft still has the rights to it IIRC, and Phil Spencer said he enjoyed it. Sequel is possible but unlikely.
>>
>>332249619
>>332249619
Funny you mention Steam. I find it amusing how "demanding PC exclusives" were a thing before it was around, namely games like Crysis and the similarly named Cryostasis. Now, PC is just an expensive console with none of those exclusives and near-nonexistent Japanese support. In fact, the sole diving factor between console and PC now are Japanese games; even the fucking Xbox has them but PC doesn't, until years later.
>>
>>332242312
I agree. There was a shit-load of awful, awful games in that era, people just remember the good ones. Nobody still talks about Ribbit King or Gotcha Force, just like in 10 years nobody will talk about or remember the crap games some people talk/bitch about now.

I think a lot of gripes people have with video games today are because they aren't realizing how good they have it. Big AA releases are still mainly have great single player campaigns, and smaller, more creative indie and small dev. titles have much more market reach and are willing to take all the risks the big developers won't. There is a TON of great games out right now, it is the best time for gaming.

If you don't think so, check your nostalgia glasses.
>>
>>332242312
The only difference that a lot of actually good games found themselves in the company of shit games back during gen 6. The same really can't be said for gen 8
>>
>>332241116
>Was the 6th gen the last decent era for video games?

Yes.
>>
>>332250129
>Big AA releases are still mainly have great single player campaigns
Big AA releases aren't a thing anymore, the last one was dark souls. The AA marked really died down a lot after the 6th gen. Production values were far too great for the kind of return on investment (for the most part).
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.