[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does this board mean when it talks about "neo WoW"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: WOW_Legion_FOB.jpg (4 MB, 1588x2248) Image search: [Google]
WOW_Legion_FOB.jpg
4 MB, 1588x2248
What does this board mean when it talks about "neo WoW" and how WoW has become shit? I don't play the game, but wa thinking of getting into it (actually leveled a character to 10 in 2014 already, but kind of lost interest after that).

How does the game suck now compared to before?
>>
Theres just no real content atm and the community sucks dick
>>
I tried to get a friend into it but he just got bored because the game has zero challenge until you get to endgame

They casualized the levelling process to the point where it's almost pointless.

Only play the game if you're into the Warcraft world. The game is cozy as fuck for that Warcraft atmosphere
>>
if you haven't played it you won't understand why what changed the game changed the community and made it what it is now.
>>
>>332222125
Try me. Just give me some general points about what changed and when they changed it.
>>
File: 1439771364074.jpg (21 KB, 176x285) Image search: [Google]
1439771364074.jpg
21 KB, 176x285
World of Warcraft used to actually be a World.

Now it's just another shitty game.
>>
very long content droughts, dumbed down gameplay, and antisocial community all make wow a very different experience from what it was ten years ago.
>>
>>332221209
Stream Lining

When you stream line in a game where the players must work together to achieve things at end game than the average player's competency plummets.

WoW has that problem of
>How do we get new players excited about our new content if it takes them a couple days of grinding to reach it?

So the answers were once
>Release a new class that starts at level 60
>Release a new class that can get an hour long leveling bonus each day
>Give the player a token that instantly level's one of their characters to 90 if they buy the game
and NOW the answer is
>Give them a token that instantly levels one of their characters to 100 AND a new class that starts at Level 90
>>
>>332222524
demon hunter will start at 100
>>
See, while World of Warcraft has always been a so-called "theme park" which kinda is against what you might consider the MMO ideal, there was has been a progression of stripping the game from everything MMO and RPG.

First the game started focusing on endgame content in favour of being about the world (luckily the content in the Burning Crusade expansion was damn fine), then it started dropping RPG concepts like specialized roles for classes (everyone can do everything with no class interdependency, tanks doing almost the same damage as damage-dealers and that sort of thing) and taking out reasons to interact with people and indeed giving incentives not to (encouraging players to use automatic grouping tool that groups you up with randoms and teleports you to dungeon, effectively encouraging players to be as selfish and assholeish as they can since you're unlikely to ever meet the other players again). This process has only continued in one direction and at this point, the game doesn't even belong to its alleged MMORPG genre, which effectively has made it a whole another game. This is neo-WoW. Since it hasn't been about any single change but gradual progression, it's difficult to pinpoint where World of Warcraft ended and neo-WoW begun, but Cataclysm expansion is a natural pick because at that point the "new style" was already in full swing and its revamped level 1-60 areas are a fitting symbol of this transition.

Of course, besides completely different style of game, neo-WoW has also seen other changes such as Blizzard beginning to milk the game out of all its worth. Microtransactions, the least amount of content ever stretched over the longest time ever and other shit.
>>
>>332223801
Okay, this more or less illustrates WoW's problems for me. Thank you. Would you still say the game offers a worthwhile experience for a complete beginner?
>>
>>332222254
Play to level 30 on Nostalrius and then play to level 30 on retail, and you will see the differences.

Just a brief assessment, you'll see the massive difference in community, difficulty, speed of everything, and ect ect

Only thing you won't experience it raiding, which is retail's only quality at the moment.
>>
>>332225416
No.

Leveling and exploring the world for the first time is nice but...
>new player gets a free 90 level boost
>old world has been gutted to be filled with reddit memes and 0 risk of death ever

its just not fun anymore
>>
>>332225416
Hell no. It's not just that low-level content is designed to be "obsolete" (the difficulty is such that you can't die, experience requirements have been reduced such that you can't even finish the zones before they stop giving you experience), I can't see how this new style of game could offer any interest for anyone (for example, there's no sense of exploration when questing is 100% linear follow-the-arrow bullshit with everything in the world being designed with a purpose rather than there being some sense of mystery to it). Particularly for new players, actually, as veteran players wouldn't be missing on the first impressions of exploration, discovery and figuring the game out (at this point the game lights up buttons you're ought to press, has removed all statistics that are in the least bit unintuitive and has removed specialization system so you can't even make wrong choices because there isn't any) because they've already past that point but you're not.

If neo-WoW has some worth, it's in high-end raiding (I personally simply can't stomach the style of game but I understand where raiders are coming from), but since even the server firsts have been claimed at this point and there's no new content on the horizon for quite a while, that window has closed. So unless you want to pay a monthly sub fee to play what essentially amounts to Facebook games or do content that has been designed to be facerollable by a group of randoms, there's nothing in it.

Private servers is what I would recommend for a new player. Vanilla isn't my favoured expansion and Nostalrius isn't the best-made server out there but I think it makes sense for new players to start from the beginning (for starters, it might be more difficult to get a hang of later if you've gotten used to conveniences of later expansions while you can always give them a go later) and Nostalrius has high population essential for the "MMO feel" so that's what I would recommend.
>>
>>332227250
Even high end raiding is awful because
>mythic is a joke until Gorefiend, then Iskar?Soc are also braindead
7 fucking bosses are pathetically easy.
>already killed these bosses on 2 fucking difficulties
the burnout is real
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_032716_180406.jpg (11 KB, 836x22) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_032716_180406.jpg
11 KB, 836x22
>>332226362
>Nostalrius
>community
>>
>>332227695
Well, at least you're encountering a human player rather than sitting in your instanced playground called "garrison".
>>
>>332227695
Kek, apart from the total chinese players threre is a community

There are people known throughout the server, guilds with rep, people willing to help each other, shit like that
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.