[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Age of Decadence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 25
File: header (1).jpg (51 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header (1).jpg
51 KB, 460x215
Is this game any good? I like CRPGs and it's on sale.
>>
Age of Decadence is fucking awful.
I can forgive it's garbage graphics and poor transitions, but the indie quality maps and map navigation, the boring, simplistic and repetitive boring combat system and the atrociously clunky interface I cannot stand.

It seriously plays like a game released in 1990 and I'm sorry, but that shit just doesn't fly. It took 7 years to develop and this was the best they could come up with, fucking embarrassing.

The writing may be excellent (I cannot confirm or deny, did not go far enough into it), but everything around is is awful. Pretty much every other CRPG released the same year is much better than this piece of shit.
>>
>>332199012
this
fuck rpg codex
>>
hello is this the nwn thread
>>
>>332198740
>handles everything story related extremely well
>world they created is great
>unforgivable combat that kind of forces savescumming
>last city is fucking shit
Loved the game, but it's a rough gem if there ever was one.
>>
File: 1435288799700.jpg (76 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
1435288799700.jpg
76 KB, 398x500
>>332199012
Got it. Dodged a bullet thanks you you anon.
>>
File: Al Shair The Anal Devastator.jpg (395 KB, 1283x723) Image search: [Google]
Al Shair The Anal Devastator.jpg
395 KB, 1283x723
>>332200028
this desu
>>
It has really good ideas, and I love the variety in actions you can take/ways to affect the story. But it's definitely rough as fuck, and is hella ugly.

Combat is also crappy.
>>
>>332198740
I enjoyed it as a merc -> legion combat character

Actually finished it unlike PoE but that might not be saying much
>>
>>332200483
maybe because you can finish it in 5 hours unlike poe
>>
>>332199012
stale pasta

>>332199389
it can be if you want it to
>>
>>332200616
Playing combat and completionist definitely took me much longer than that especially with all the savescumming, but yeah I've heard that you can finish it really quickly if you play a diplomatic (especially merchant I think?) character
>>
>>332200824
yeah as merchant you finish fast as fuck, really enjoyed it though but it does kind of turn into a visual novel
but man can you play a jew
>>
>come across two thugs with knives
>get murdered for your money

and that's why you never go to the inner city
>>
>>332198740
It's one of the best RPGs made in the past twenty years and one of the most important titles too.

Age of Decadence has taken the whole choices/consequences thing to a never seen before level, even surpassing Planescape: Torment and Mask of the Betrayer.

The system itself is rather unforgiving though, which comes with some problems - most importantly inviting meta-gaming.

If you like games like Torment, Bloodlines, Arcanum, New Vegas, etc. however in the sense of role playing a character in a fictional world which you can actually affect and where decisions have lasting consequences, then you should definitely give it a try. You should be frustration tolerant though since the game is rather unforgiving. Prepare to restart often - especially at the beginning since you may end up in a situation where your character is unable to handle the given problems.
>>
>>332201170
this is literally one of the very few RPG's that manages to make Ps:T's combat look good though
>>
File: 1458907804190.jpg (34 KB, 680x440) Image search: [Google]
1458907804190.jpg
34 KB, 680x440
>>332201170
>20 years ago feels it should at least be 1990
>it's 1996
>>
>>332201289
literal shitposting
AoD's combat is one of the few great things about it
>>
>>332200616
>maybe because you can finish it in 5 hours unlike poe
That doesn't do the game justice however, since AoD involves an incredible amount of replayability.

I put more than 180 hours into it - admittedly having played it since early access and replaying it often when a new update came out. But you definitely have to beat it multiple times in order to get everything out of it, due to the great amount of content that is locked from you depending on your character build and faction alignment.
>>
>>332201367
>AoD's combat is one of the few great things about it
what
>>
>>332201170
>Age of Decadence has taken the whole choices/consequences thing to a never seen before level, even surpassing Planescape: Torment and Mask of the Betrayer.
really m8? not to mention aod atmosphere is pure garbage, not even close to pt
>>
>>332201289
I disagree.

AoD has pretty good combat. It's not very good at communicating to the player how exactly things come into play, but in my opinion it's the only RPG that has turn-based single-character combat while still being somewhat challenging and tactically varied.

What I especially liked about AoD is that you need to make use of everything the game hands you. Depending on your build and opponent, you may have to use a different weapon, you may have to resort to alchemy or other implements such as nets or bolas. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye at first.

And it really is only hard if you're trying to play a hybrid character. If you're playing a pure fighter you should easily be able to even beat the hardest encounters - especially after you've defeated the Arena Champion and got his gear, which allows you to become an unstoppable killing machine.
>>
>>332201367
bait
there is nothing good about this savescumming shitfest
the only good thing in aod is reactivity
I know you want to be cool and elite by sucking those indie devs cocks but come on
>>
File: AgeDecadence_1000-630x360.jpg (53 KB, 630x360) Image search: [Google]
AgeDecadence_1000-630x360.jpg
53 KB, 630x360
>>332200028
It's not really unforgivable combat as much as a game that doesn't have filler trash encounters. Every battle is a struggle to survive, let alone to win, and certain classes shouldn't even BE engaging in combat. Not to mention RPG conventions have kinda made players abandon common sense.

>this totally not suspicious guy is asking me to follow him into the alley
>it means the plot is advancing!
No, you dumb bitch. It means he's gonna shank you and steal your shit.

Fact AoD is one of those games that only gets better as you replay it, and most people play games cone, means most will its charm. Just like with Alpha Protocol.
>>
>>332201475
"atmosphere" is a murky term which depends more on feelings than reason. Some SJW might tell you that Gothic has "garbage" atmosphere due to there not being enough female characters present.

In my opinion AoD has great atmosphere, but it takes a while until you get into it, since the atmosphere is mostly created by the setting and believable faction dynamics which you only get to fully grasp when you're way into the game, or having beaten the game already and recognising things you've seen from previous playthroughs from a different perspective, e.g. meeting someone who's attempting to do what you had to do before while working for someone else and keeping him from doing it.

What made Torment brilliant was most of all the dialogue-based role playing. How they seemingly managed to interweave player-stats into the dialogue, and had dialogue play a major part in solving the game rather than just providing a bit of banter between the combat encounters where the player could communicate whether he was a nice guy or a dick.

AoD manages to recreate that - and even surpass it in many regard, since they've taken dialogue based role playing a step further, allowing you to beat the whole game that way if your character is skilled accordingly.

As I said before: this doesn't come without problems, e.g. inviting meta-gaming, but in my opinion it is incredibly important that someone actually came and made this game, pushing the system to its limitations so that future developers could learn from it.
>>
>>332201751
>Fact AoD is one of those games that only gets better as you replay it, and most people play games cone, means most will its charm. Just like with Alpha Protocol.
This.

>>332201720
What are you talking about? You can't even save in combat.
>>
>>332201631
Eh, "run to choke" and "use consumables" is as varied as it gets really. And yeah anything post arena champ is game breakingly easy, which is a pretty big flaw I think.
>>332201751
>It's not really unforgivable combat as much as a game that doesn't have filler trash encounters
I actually love this about the game, everything isn't just "another quest" it may actually just fuck you up and no save scumming can get you past it unless an appropriate character. Really helped with immersion and man I haven't been so immersed in a game in years. AP may actually have been the last time, but I prefer this to AP.

That said I just can't praise the actual combat. And some of the most boring encounters I've ever had were in this game (Mongols and that final big battle)
>>
File: 2355.gif (814 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
2355.gif
814 KB, 300x225
>>332201751
>cone
>Alpha Protocol

you probably fucked up with spelling, but I just lost my shit so hard I had to clean my monitor from the drink I sprayed all over it
>>
>play as dumb mercenary for a while
>get stuck at some battle due to not having a well built character
>don't really know what the fuck is going on story wise
>make a merchant instead
>tfw finding out about what my merc character had actually been involved in
Can't praise this game enough
>>
>>332202529
>merchant
assassin*
>>
>>332200092
yeah deffo luckied out that anonymous poster gave you his opinion holy shit thanks Allah
>>
>>332202198
>Eh, "run to choke" and "use consumables" is as varied as it gets really.
Not really. It also depends on your weapon of choice, e.g. you may want to use a different weapon in order to get a certain bonus, use a certain type of equipment to counter-act a certain type of weapon the enemy is using.

Also what really fascinated me is how the various weapon types also required vastly different tactics.

E.g. spears were actually completely different in their usage than swords for example. With a long spear, you needed to fight passively, relying on the chance to interrupt an enemy upon closing in on you rather than outright attacking. You would avoid direct encounters, keep enemies at a distance and wear them down that way - ideally using poison.

With daggers you would make use of your low point costs to attack in order to strike at limbs, reducing your enemy's chance to hit and evade, then after having "debuffed" the enemy strike at vulnerable parts of the armour to do damage.

Bows, crossbows, swords, hammers, axes, .. all weapons had different strengths and required different tactics in order to be successful. The game is a lot more varied than you're giving it credit.

Certainly, if you're playing a "pure" combat build, you're having a much easier time, and you don't require very elaborate tactics since you can simply "brute force" the encounter to victory, but as soon as you're trying to play hybrid characters who can also do a bit of talking, and have scholarly skills, you need to fight more elaborately.

This definitely beats games like Fallout for example, which came down to "shoot at the eyes".

>And yeah anything post arena champ is game breakingly easy, which is a pretty big flaw I think.
I'd say it's well earned. And a few fights may still give you a bit of trouble afterwards depending on your build.

In the end: AoD has more to offer than just combat. And there are plenty of great RPGs with a lot worse combat out there.
>>
>tfw my playthrough ended with my character being killed by a god because my entire combat playthrough revolved around beating my head (and some firebombs, nets and shit) against every problem until it went away and it just didn't work against him
>>
>>332198740
It's... It's complicated.

The story and lore is 10/10. The game itself gives you a lot of freedom (freedom implies that you can and will fuck things up thought). Multiple playthroughts are encouraged and can be very rewarding.

BUT... the graphics are just inexcusable, the art design is the fucking worst ever, the combat it's supposed to be challenging but it's pure bullshit and the skill/exp system is a little bonkers.

Worth a try, I'd say, but this is a weird game. What it does good, it does it perfectly, but what it does bad, Jesus Christ.

I'm hoping for a sequel.
>>
>>332202016
>What made Torment brilliant was most of all the dialogue-based role playing. How they seemingly managed to interweave player-stats into the dialogue, and had dialogue play a major part in solving the game rather than just providing a bit of banter between the combat encounters where the player could communicate whether he was a nice guy or a dick.
I disagree
part of the reason why games like pt, fallout and bg are considered classics besides other points was mastercrafted atmosphere and overall timeless designs
everything in torment looks unique and interesting, it's a truly Impressive experience not just because the writting but because how well crafted the world and the characters are
same goes for fallout, the look of the weapons, iconic armors, the hub, harold etc. it's a post apocalyptic masterpiece
This is the reason why games like aod and underrail while better on some aspects will never top games like torment and fallout

they lack atmosphere
>>
>>332198740
>developer left his job of being a marketing executive to work on his dream game

damn, son
>>
>>332203083
I don't know whether they changed something in their recent release, but I actually beat said god with explosives and greek fire. You can also join him of course, destroy the temple or not even awaken him.
>>
>>332202826
You clearly found more enjoyment in the combat than I could, I just found using spears and poison to feel lame as fuck for example but sure the option was there. Got to say I thought it was hilarious getting butchered by the spear wielding arena dude the first time I met him though, literally griefed to death by an NPC.
>I'd say it's well earned
In a way, yeah, but I dislike how all combat after felt trivialized. The whole feeling of shit being able to fuck you up disappeared which was a big part of the appeal for me (when playing a combat character).

Honestly, I really enjoyed the combat while thinking it was bad, as much sense as that makes.
>>
>>332203237
>This is the reason why games like aod and underrail while better on some aspects will never top games like torment and fallout

Because those games are not trying to compete with PST and Fallout. They're focused on different things, even though they obviously overlap in others. Pitting all CRPGs together is a very naive thing to do.
>>
>tfw just started my first playthrough as a low-combat assassin
I don't quite have enough points to cover sneak/lockpick/steal type skills AND persuasion/disguise (I picked the former), but overall I feel like I hit the goldmine with this build.

As long as I can steal everything and dodge/dagger my way through the occasion 1-2 combatants, I think I'm good.
>>
>>332199012
If you love crpgs from the 90s, take this pleb's ranting as a surefire sign you'll appreciate AoD.
>>
>>332203272
Submission or retreat just didn't seem to suit my character. Not sure I had the option to destroy the temple on my dumbass character.

I played it at release, guess I should have tried harder with explosives if that's the case. Can't even remember if I invested in alchemy or not.
>>
>>332203348
>Because those games are not trying to compete with PST and Fallout
new games should always try to surpass the old ones, that's the reason why not many people like or even hate pillars of eternity
it failed to be a better game than bg2
>>
If you like story driven graphic novel then yes. I enjoyed it greatly. Lots of choices that actually matter and drastically change things. I played it about 8 times to get all the relevant paths. The background you discover is very interesting and the writing really shines.

Combat isn't really shining. It's turn based RNG and quite unforgiving. Don't do a hybrid class (talking and fighting) until you're experienced because that's hell mode. But if you're just the kind of guy that skips texts and just wants combat, then this isn't for you.

The most interesting difference is that you don't have to use any violence to finish the game. You can be a pure non-combat thief, a merchant, or a loremaster.
>>
>>332203237
>part of the reason why games like pt, fallout and bg are considered classics besides other points was mastercrafted atmosphere and overall timeless designs
But what was timeless design about Torment? Torment is most of all unique because of its enormous dialogue and most of all: dialogue choices. Before Torment this was unusual - that is what made the game unique. Certainly, some people might tell you about great writing, or nice visual design, but in my opinion that's nothing that couldn't have been done in any other game. What made Torment memorable is how they turned it into a personal experience, allowing the player to fully flesh out the personality of the Nameless One through his dialogue choices, and explore how it would contrast or resemble past incarnations. This was only possible due to its role playing mechanics. And AoD manages to recreate and even surpass some of that. They have learned from Torment and taken things a step further, which I can't say about many games released since.

>everything in torment looks unique and interesting, it's a truly Impressive experience not just because the writting but because how well crafted the world and the characters are
As I said: that's all individual impression. What looks "interesting" to you may not look interesting to others. In my opinion such things cannot be judged properly, as these are not hard facts. I even agree with you, but I disagree in regards to that it's this which made Torment unique. In fact, I found a lot about the visual art direction about Torment appalling. I thought it looked too brown, I absolutely hated the ugly 3D character models. The "weird" world didn't seem interesting to me.

[to be continued]
>>
Loved some parts of it, hated some others.

I loved being able to see the plot from various perspectives. I hated being railroaded, specially at the later acts. I understand they didn't have the resources to make every quest a branching one, but at times it forced me to do thing I didn't want to do.

I loved the setting, I loved the lore and the ideas behind it. I hated the graphics and specially the overall art design. It's just bad, even for a niche indie game.

I loved the idea behind the combat. I hated the actual execution: it's either too easy or just impossible, depending on your character. Hybrid characters make it more interesting but then you are just abusing the system, not playing the game.

Overall a pretty interesting game, with brilliant ideas and total fuckups. I hope they got enough money to make another game and work on those flaws.
>>
continuation of >>332204068
>same goes for fallout, the look of the weapons, iconic armors, the hub, harold etc. it's a post apocalyptic masterpiece
Same with Fallout, it's not particularly great looking. The hex-fields don't provide that great looks, the graphics are all rather brown-ish, even more so than in Torment. And while the armours are iconic, I don't think you got to see a lot of that in-game. If anything in concept art. In-game it was just a low-detailed grey sprite. What made Fallout unique to me was the interactiveness of the world. Being able to solve the scorpion cave quest by NOT entering the scorpion cave but blowing up the entrance with dynamite. When I could do that I realised that I was playing a great game. The graphics and art direction didn't sell the game to me.

>This is the reason why games like aod and underrail while better on some aspects will never top games like torment and fallout
Whether they're better or not is something I find completely unimportant and an uninteresting debate. I don't judge games on a linear scale where I could definitely say that one game is better than the other, games are too varied for that. I've already played Torment and Fallout, so getting something nearly as good or even half as good is perfectly fine to me.
>>
>>332203761
No, I meant in the sense they're not going for the same kind of experience. People comparing Underrail and Fallout, for example, beyond both having post-apocalyptic settings and being isometric RPGs only shows little your average RPG fans knows and just groups shit together. What those two focus on is completely different.
>>
>not into hardcore crpgs
>read this thread
>still tempted to get it because some of the stuff in here
>hearing alpha protocol comparisons
AP was rough but I still liked it.
>>
>>332204089
>I loved being able to see the plot from various perspectives
I'm amazed more games don't do this, they really executed it well
>>
>>332204181
Go for it, but don't go hybrid with your first character it's a game where you can really easily spread yourself too thin
>>
>>332203554
I had alchemy of 8 in the end but I also had the power armour which allowed me to have 14AP. You need lots of them since he does so much damage with the mental attacks. You'll want to kill him in two or three rounds.

If you're not fast enough because you lack a modicum of physical skills, you'll have a hard time. Perhaps with the mind-shield perk gained from freeing the god in the abyss you could kill him easier, since he won't do as much damage with his psi attacks.
>>
File: buddy cop comedy.jpg (96 KB, 900x559) Image search: [Google]
buddy cop comedy.jpg
96 KB, 900x559
>>332204197
Because optional content not everyone will see and publishers HATE that because it, well, means making optional content not everyone will see as part of game experience aka shit you don't have to and waste money on. I remember Witcher 2 made everyone lose their made with how it's chapter 2 completely changed depending on your decision, for example.
>>
File: Untitled.png (14 KB, 923x65) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
14 KB, 923x65
>>332203272
>not becoming the immortal god emperor yourself
missed opportunity, lad.
>>
>Use a crossbow.
>Character always rushes in when I choose to settle things in combat.
>Always die because character rarely ever realizes that his weapon is ranged and can pick off people from a distance.

Protecting that bar in the second city gives me PTSD.

Also besieging that mountain monastery and as soon as you climb the wall the enemy gets a full turn and all target you.
>>
File: 1.jpg (27 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
27 KB, 320x320
>There are beasts in this thread right here that didn't ascend to godhood
>>
>>332204181
>not into hardcore crpgs
Pirate it first. You might love it, you may hate it, it depends on how forgiving of it's flaws you are.

As many anons said, the great parts are really great, the shitty parts are really shitty.
>>
>>332204181
Should play the classics first if you haven't
>>
>>332204408
>>Character always rushes in when I choose to settle things in combat.
I hated that. But it wasn't that bad. You can initiate combat manually sometimes and attack from a distance. And that bar? Just run between the furniture so only one can attack you at once. Then hit his arms and legs so he can't touch you.
>>
>>332204181
AoD is a game which requires a lot of frustration tolerance, but if you get past that it's worth it. You'll hate combat in the beginning but after a certain amount of time you'll get a feel for how it works and you'll possibly enjoy it. Maybe this is Stockholm Syndrome, but I can only recommend giving it a try.

There's always the option to play a talker of course and breeze through the game. As a pure fighter it won't be that hard either.

Hard are hybrid characters, e.g. trying to play a scheming officer in the Imperial Guard who's not that great as a frontline fighter. For that you'll ideally have beaten the game already as a pure talker and a pure fighter so you know which types of encounters you can take and where you can easily gain experience.
>>
>>332204373
>implying I didn't do that with a different character
Funny enough, that character was a complete loser who ended up being kicked out of his guild and had everyone pissed off at him before his ascension.
>>
>60 posts
>19 unique IPs

Another shill thread.
Anyways, it's good if you like CYOA games. If when you head "CRPG" you are expecting something like Ultima, or Fallout, or Baldur's Gate (and all their alikes), don't.
>>
>>332204408
>Also besieging that mountain monastery and as soon as you climb the wall the enemy gets a full turn and all target you.
Actually it's the same turn. You just had the misfortune of reaching stage 2 at the worst moment. Gotta aim for the best moment. But yeah, the monastery is worse than being ignorant about other people's customs, if you get my meaning.
>>
>>332204408
Playing a thief with a longbow was absolute easy mode. Only multiple opponents tended to give me a hard time. But singular opponents were instantly slain without taking damage whatsoever. No matter who they were. Arena champions, arena challengers, etc.
>>
>>332204745
1:3 is pretty standard, is it not? Plus, it is a niche of a niche game.
>>
>>332204068
>>332204167
great points
allow me to ask you a question, do you think both torment and fallout would be considered classics as the are right now if they had the aod visuals?
>>
>>332204745
>People discussing both the bad things and the good things of a game
>Outright recommending pirating it first because the game sucks in some areas

Yeah, this is pure shilling, isn't it?
>>
>>332204917
>do you think both torment and fallout would be considered classics as the are right now if they had the aod visuals?
I don't know. Maybe you're right, and many people regard Torment and Fallout classics because of atmosphere and visuals alone - I can only tell you what made them classics to me.

I think they could have been regarded classics even with AoD visuals, after all - they put something new on the table.
>>
File: 3.jpg (119 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
119 KB, 600x315
>>332204829
>No matter who they were
>Islamic Neo
Fucking liar ass shit bitch ass fucker
>>
>>332205183
If you're referring to Hamza, do you even have to fight that one in the Thieves guild? I don't think I had to, based on how I went through the game.

However, with 10 in bows you should hit even capable dodgers.
>>
>>332204170
But i wonder why those games can't even emulate god tier timeless atmosphere that older games had
it's not about the graphics, underrail is just like fallout 2d sprite based
and yet it's so sterile and uninspired when compared with fallout
>>
>>332204454
Assuming you mean Baldur's Gate and PS:T?
>>
>>332205526
Yep. P:T and BG2 specifically. Also MotB.
>>
>>332205659
People keep telling me skipping BG1 is an option. Is that really the case?
>>
>>332205102
>Torment and Fallout classics because of atmosphere and visuals alone
it's not about top tier visuals, never was
but atmosphere was the part of the success of those games, there is no point in denying it
>>
>>332205751
Absolutely. The game does very good job reintroducing you to the world, it even gives you dialogue options where you don't remember who characters are etc. And the story is mostly unrelated.
>>
>>332205751
I honestly loved the shit out of BG1 but seem to be in the minority. Got some mod that added NPC dialogue which added a lot though
>>
>>332205751
It is but I'd still recommend playing it. Though not necessarily before Age of Decadence. The games are quite different and you won't gain anything from having played them before. Of course you should still play these games as they're all good.

Baldur's Gate is more of a rudimentary title though, it started out as a real time tactics game and only later turned into an RPG. It doesn't yet have a comparable amount of party interaction as Baldur's Gate 2 and involves less role playing choice. In terms of combat encounters and exploration it's still fun though, assuming you enjoy Infinity Engine games and rtwp-style combat (which not everyone does).
>>
>>332205102
another great example of how important about atmosphere in games is is Diablo 2
from a technological standpoint it was nothing special but man dat atmosphere
now tell me, why so many people dislike Diablo 3 so much?
>>
>>332205751
Well I don't think you should but you certainly can.

BG1 has that "low level adventurer" feel that i just love.
>>
>>332205779
>but atmosphere was the part of the success of those games, there is no point in denying it
Perhaps it was. I'm merely saying that atmosphere is a bit of a vague term and may not apply to everyone the same, not to mention that I'd argue that a lot of the atmosphere is also created with help from the brilliant mechanics behind. A linear, Final Fantasy style Planescape: Torment with pre-written dialogue for the main character would have likely not been as memorable - and completely unappealing to me.
>>
>>332206275
>now tell me, why so many people dislike Diablo 3 so much?
Trust me, that's not JUST atmosphere
>>
>>332206275
I actually found Diablo 1 a lot more atmospheric than Diablo 2. When Diablo 2 came out they had already lost me. I still played and beat it, but never put that much time into it.
>>
>>332205360
Al Sahir, nigga
>>
>>332206423
of course not! but the lack of dark and gothic atmosphere was part of the reason why d3 failed to satisfy hardcore fans despite good sales
>I actually found Diablo 1 a lot more atmospheric than Diablo 2
nothing wrong with that, d1 was also great in that department
>>
>>332205751
Don't do it. BG1 is still a solid game it's just that BG2 is GOAT
>>
>>332206505
Diablo 2 remains in my top 3 most favorite games of all times, and also third most played game. But yeah, Diablo 1 had 10 times more atmosphere. That goddamn labyrinth music.
>>
>>332206742
I'm fairly certain I solved most of these encounters by simply shooting them. Against singular opponents longbows (the special longbow you can buy at the market place in Madoraan) are pretty deadly. And if you have a high enough bow skill and sufficient stats you should be successful that way.
>>
>>332205751
bg 1 have one of the best it's time for the adventure! feel out there, I'd say it's worth a try
>>
SO I KICKED HIM IN THE HEAD TILL HE WAS DEAD HAHAHAHA
>>
>>332207292
oh look, it's a talking arrow supply
>>
File: 1341823077792.jpg (88 KB, 607x459) Image search: [Google]
1341823077792.jpg
88 KB, 607x459
So, if anyone is still lurking
What's your opinion about upcoming torment? did you played the beta?
thoughts on tyranny by obsidian? will you at least give it a chance after poe?
what's your opinion about poe in general? did you hated it like the most or not as much?
solid 7/10 in my opinion, still have high hopes for a sequel
what other rpg'sare you looking forward at the moment? maybe some more obscure ones?
I really need to update my journal
>>
>>332209051
>what's your opinion about poe in general? did you hated it like the most or not as much?
I only played it for a few h, but what made me quit was the fact that it felt like they just took a list of what people liked about old CRPG's and ticked one box after the other. "Lots of dialogue and lore? Yeah let's add that". Felt like it had no soul whatsoever.

Again, only a few hours played but that's what I felt.
>>
>>332209051
>What's your opinion about upcoming torment? did you played the beta?
I've backed it but haven't really followed it since. I'll wait until it comes out.

>thoughts on tyranny by obsidian? will you at least give it a chance after poe?
The concept sounds interesting and PoE while somewhat mediocre wasn't really "bad" either. I'm cautiously optimistic.

>what's your opinion about poe in general?
As I said - it's a solid RPG. Mediocre in comparison with the great RPGs of old but definitely an "old school" RPG. I'd rather it probably 6.5/10, maybe 7/10 since it really looked nice.
>>
>>332201170
>taken the whole choices/consequences thing to a never seen before level, even surpassing Planescape: Torment

but PST didn't have all that much CnC so not like it means anything
>>
>>332209051
Don't want to spoil it for myself before full release, but I've heard very good things. Very excited
Absolutely, looks great so far. I think that shorter lenght of the game can really allow them to deliver on their promises of world reactivity.
>what's your opinion about poe in general? did you hated it like the most or not as much?
Didn't like the combat much. Liked the story and the lore a lot though. WM part 2 was especially good in this regard. Solid 8/10. They said they would play it less safe in the sequel so it might be really good. If WM part 2 is any indication, it's gonna be great
>what other rpg'sare you looking forward at the moment? maybe some more obscure ones?
Nothing really comes to mind. Bard's Tale maybe? I haven't really been following that, but I imagine it's definitely something I will want to play once its out.
>>
>>332209051
Haven't played. Looks cool but the art design is kinda... special

We don't know enough about it. Might be cool, but for now it just looks like they are reusing the PoE engine.

It's solid, but not groundbreaking. Enjoyed it but felt a little flat in some areas. Classes were kinda meh and the combat system wasn't very polished.

>what other rpg'sare you looking forward at the moment?
I tend to avoid hype until games are actually released, so no.
>>
>>332201367

> the combat is good

> pick fast/average attack and use it until everyone is dead. Alternatively if the enemy has armor use attack head until they're dead

> most of the combat involves watching 20 or so NPCs take a turn because the devs thought their single character turn based game should have epic battles
>
>>
>>332209843
>most of the combat involves watching 20 or so NPCs take a turn because the devs thought their single character turn based game should have epic battles
some fights i wonder how they got past any testing
>>
>>332209284
>but what made me quit was the fact that it felt like they just took a list of what people liked about old CRPG's and ticked one box after the other
and they did, obsidian played is safe when it comes to everything in poe with is why the game seems so soulless
and it's kinda funny because story wise it's all about souls

>>332209442
>I'll wait until it comes out
let's just hope they learned a few things from wasteland 2
>>
>>332205520
>and yet it's so sterile and uninspired when compared with fallout
Sounds like you didn't play it, or at least didn't get far at all.
>>
>>332210264
it was such a weird realisation for me, I started thinking "oh man this has everything I have wanted for so long", kept thinking that as i played while slowly coming to terms with the fact that i just wasnt enjoying any of it
>>
>>332209843
>pick fast/average attack and use it until everyone is dead. Alternatively if the enemy has armor use attack head until they're dead
That won't work with all weapons and all types of character builds. Refer to >>332202826.

>most of the combat involves watching 20 or so NPCs take a turn because the devs thought their single character turn based game should have epic battles
That's a plain lie, because there are maybe two or three combat encounters that even involve that many characters. The vast majority of combat encounters only involve at the very most 5 - 10 characters.
>>
>>332210520
they really fucked it up with all those kickstarter stretch goals
a 15 level mega dungeon looks good on paper but not so much when it comes to actually delivering it
Oh well, i bet they will announce poe 2 the same way larian announced dos 2
already funded game with a additional stretch goals
>>
>>332209051
I have no expectations whatsoever, haven't played the beta either, will play it when it comes out and hopefully it will be good.

I will most certainly give it a chance. The concept sounds cool and they've said all the things to make me interested.

I don't care what you hipsters say, it's the best CRPG since Mask of the Betrayer. Don't get me wrong, Dragonfall, Hong Kong, Underrail, Lords of Xulima, all of those games are great as well, but Pillars of Eternity hit the right spot of good writing, good atmosphere, good visual style and good combat (yes, I liked the combat, again, fuck you hipsters) to be the best of them. I hope they're working on a sequel.
>>
File: 1458404434056.gif (4 KB, 200x260) Image search: [Google]
1458404434056.gif
4 KB, 200x260
>>332211826
>Pillars of Eternity hit the right spot of good writing, good atmosphere, good visual style and good combat
>>
>>332212283
>stop liking what I don't like
go away
>>
File: k.jpg (17 KB, 948x126) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
17 KB, 948x126
>>332211826
>Pillars of Eternity hit the right spot of good writing, good atmosphere, good visual style and good combat (yes, I liked the combat, again, fuck you hipsters) to be the best of them.
I'm in the same boat man.
>I hope they're working on a sequel
they are
>Lords of Xulima
I envy people who managed to enjoy it
>>
>>332210639
>That won't work with all weapons and all types of character builds

Not exactly but each weapon has a specific strategy that you won't deviate from. And putting points into more than one weapon means that you will have to stick with fast strikes since everything else will have a shit hit chance unless.

> That's a plain lie, because there are maybe two or three combat encounters that even involve that many characters.

It might not be exactly 20 but the game does love group fights and almost all are extremely tedious. Shit made me avoid the last town altogether and just go to the (super underwhelming) hellgate
>>
>>332212632
Damn, I only have 304 hours on it after finishing White March Part 2. I'm guessing you played on Path of the Damned?
>>
>>332212283
maybe you could explain why do you think he's wrong instead of shitposting
>>
>>332212962
Honestly, I've never seen any legitimate criticsm of PoE story, apart from the vague "it's bland/boring" with no specific examples.
>>
>>332212824
>Path of the Damned
yep
It was a fun ride overall despite the flaws
also kudos to obsidian for patching and adding new content to make the game more enjoyable
most devs would just patch most game breaking bugs and abandon it
>>
>>332212962
Not him, but I didn't have any big issues with its writing or visual style, but I hated the combat and the atmosphere was pretty terrible a lot of the time.

I think the main problem was that the world felt way too small. I mean, First Fires only had like 3 buildings you could enter, Brackenbury and Copperlane had a couple more each, there were only a couple of villages and barely any people (and even fewer people of note) populating any of the locations.
>>
>>332213219
Copypasting from the dead thread
>lacks the bite we'd come to expect from Obsidian and plays the cliched reincarnated chosen one story completely straight, has mind numbing combat ala DAI as well as an even blander setting than bioware managed to make for their Wheel of Time meets GoT franchise, Dragon Age. Not to mention the stupid, emotionally manipulative "your former gf got killed because of you" reveal that tried to invoke Deionarra but missed the mark, or the melodramatic resolutions of pretty much every companion quest.
>>
>>332213219
The fact that they went with their first draft for story because of "time constraints" is telling enough.
>>
>>332212796
>Not exactly but each weapon has a specific strategy that you won't deviate from.
Depending on your opponent you also need to deviate. e.g. if you're playing against a dodger you need to criple his legs, if you're playing against a shield guy you need to criple his arms or possibly do damage, depending on his armour (does he wear a helmet, etc.).

You actually need to vary depending on what you're up against. Not to mention when you're playing against multiple opponents.

For example, a duel between two spear guys is going to look very different from a battle of a spear guy against multiple sword and board guys and require different tactics.

Overall, the game is tactically a lot more elaborate than Fallout for example.

>the game does love group fights and almost all are extremely tedious.
That depends on your build. By the time you're in the third town you should already have Al Sahir's equipment and easily murder your way through hordes of enemies, which is a real pleasure, if you're playing as a combat focussed build. Not to mention that you get the power armour in the third city which makes you even more unstoppable.

I'd recommend you should replay the game with a different build, different weapon combination, etc. and see how far you get this time, since with a more powerful build it's likely going to be a lot less tedious.
>>
>>332213957
I don't think anyone is trying to argue Fallout had deep tactical combat to be honest
>>
>>332213771
>plays the cliched reincarnated chosen one story completely straight
What. You are not the chosen one at all.
>Not to mention the stupid, emotionally manipulative "your former gf got killed because of you"
That's not true at all either, it's only true if you CHOSE this. You don't have to have her be your former gf at all.
>melodramatic resolutions of pretty much every companion quest
Like what? And what should the resolutions be then?
>>332213882
it's telling absolutely nothing
>>
>>332213665
>but I hated the combat
too many trash mobs at some point and the lack of xp for killing them sucked
I think the main problem was that the world felt way too small
word, they really need to make everything more overwhelming in poe 2
>>
>>332213219
>the vague it's bland/boring
I duno players finding the story boring isn't exactly a great sign. Why is it boring? Well shit nothing it tried to do was captivating and I ended up not caring

don't even know why I kept trying to figure out why I wasn't liking the game as I played it
>>
>>332211826
>it's the best CRPG since Mask of the Betrayer
Hey look it's the same PoE shill in every thread. How much do you get paid?
>>
>>332213957
>the game is tactically a lot more elaborate than Fallout for example
no shit, fallout is about being an omnipotent demigod who have the power have over life and death shaping the world with your choices
>>
>>332213771
>your former gf got killed because of you
she's not your gf, well not if you don't want to
>>
>>332201475
>really m8?
Not that Anon, but here are all the ways to finish one of the first major quests (but the quest is still optional):

n the outpost, we have the following scenarios
(1) attack from a distance; (2) approach, kill one of them instantly [Critical Strike 3] and attack the rest; (3) approach, ask who is in charge [Praetor Background] and convince them to leave [Streetwise + Persuasion= 7]; (4) wait until dark, climb over the palisade with the climbing hook [Strength + Dexterity = 13 and at least Strength 5 and Dexterity 6], or the grappling hook [Throwing 2 and Strength + Dexterity = 12], on using your bare hands [Strength + Dexterity = 13 and at least Strength 6 and Dexterity 6]; and sneak inside the mine [Sneak 4]. You will find a box beside a smelter machine. Open it [Lockpick 4] to receive a tube and some ingots. You can take the tube and leave, take the tube and examine the machine or attempt to kill everyone; (5) approach and act as if you are Sohrab, the loremaster they are expecting [Praetor Background + Disguise 3]. You will have to answer a couple of questions first [Persuasion 3] and [Persuasion + Disguise = 6] or [Streetwise + Disguise = 6]. If you are a woman, each of the composite checks are lowered to 5. Or explain that you are just a skilled loremaster looking for work. He will make a couple of questions [Lore 3] and [Persuasion 3]. Now you can either fix the machine or find a way to heat it until it explodes. In this case, you can convince the guards outside to enter it before the explosion [Streetwise 3]. If you fail in this check, the Decanus and the rest of his men go inside and two guards remain watching over you. After the explosion, you and the two guards go to the ground. You can get up after the guards [Constitution 7] and they will kill you; get up at the same time [Constitution 8] and fight or get up before the guards [Constitution 9] and kill one of them.
>>
>>332214360
stop ruining this thread you retard
>>
>>332214852
cont.

(6) You can poison the guards before the attack. To do this you need ask around who's been buying supplies regularly. If you pay 50 imperials for the information or have a merchant background, some of the storekeepers will tell you that Rhaskos has been buying too many supplies “for a shanty town trash”. Talk to Rhaskos and convince him to spike the wine that he is delivering with poison [Pay 100 imperials] [Pay 20 imperials with Trading 3] [Body Count 8] [Praetor Background], or kill him and deliver the poisoned wine yourself. If you decide for the second option, the guards will ask some questions and you need [Disguise + Streetwise = 6], or [Disguise 2 + Charisma 8] to answer them properly. There are some ways to obtain poison. You can (a) buy rat poison from the merchants for mere 5 imperials (b) convince the alchemist at the market to sell you a stronger poison for 50 imperials [Persuasion 3] or [Merchant Guild Background], (c) obtain a stronger poison made by Coltan [Assassin Background] or (d) create your own poison with alchemy [Alchemy 4 or 6]. If the poison is potent, you can kill the first guard more easily [Critical Strike 2]. (7) if you convinced the raiders to attack the Aurelian outpost, only their leader, Esbenus, will survive. He is wounded. You can either pay him the 1000 imperials you promised [1+ word of honor and he will give you a power tube], intimidate him to leave without the money [Bodycount 10] you receive [-1 Word of Honor], or fight with him [-1 Word of Honor], you take the power tube from its dead body. After that, you went into the mine with Dellar and have the opportunity to fix the smelter.
>>
>>332214334
Okay. Is it so hard to understand other people don't find it interesting though?
>>
>>332214071
>>332214698
The point wasn't that Fallout had good combat the point was that plenty of great RPGs have quite bad combat. Usually these RPGs have more to offer but just combat. AoD has more to offer than just combat, while at the same time offering quite enjoyable combat in my opinion, which I've elaborated on in >>332202826.
>>
>>332214852
>>332214951
last

Fixing the smelter
To activate the first mode of the smelter you need a power tube (the one you can obtain from the box) and [Crafting 4], [Lore 6]. If you are a praetor, you can learn the "mantra" to use the machine from Sohran, the Aurelian loremaster you intercept earlier. That will lower the skill check to [Lore 5]. If you activate the first mode of the machine without attacking the outpost, you are asked to be escorted to Maadoran to be presented to Lord Gaelius [Prestige Increased]. The smelter is only fixed when you activate the second mode, thus producing blue steel, but for that you need a second power tube, that can be obtained only later on.

Killing them little by little
If you manage to kill the men guarding the entrance to the mine, you can leave the outpost to heal yourself and come back later. When you come back, you will find that the two remaining legionaries barricaded the entrance and armed the slaves. You will need to jump the barricade while avoiding the arrows [Dodge 5] or [Block 4]. If you fail, you lose 10 HP. Kill them. After that, you need to pass a check to enter the mine [Perception 8] or [Traps 3]. If you fail, you lose 20 HPs and permanently lose 2 maximum HPs.

If you decide to take the power tube using sneak and leave without attacking them, you receive [1+ House Daratan Reputation]. If you kill everyone at the outpost, you receive [+2 House Daratan Reputation, +4 if you fix the machine] and [-3 House Aurelian Reputation]. If you blew the mine, you receive [+2 House Daratan Reputation] without penalties with your House Aurelian, because you leave no witnesses.

Later on
After Maadoran, if you come back to the mine, you need House Daratan Reputation 15 and be either a centurion or a praetor to be allowed to enter the mines.
>>
>>332214083
>Like what? And what should the resolutions be then?
I'm not the one who wrote it, I just thought it was well put. Maybe the lesbian shark realizing her memories make her a strong woman fit for a Sawyer game or something.
>>
>>332198740
So does this game have fins, romans, gypsies, and dog gods?
>>
>diablo
>in a rpg thread
>>
>>332215092
All the white march companions are absolutely atrocious
>>
>>332214852
>>332214951
impressive, it really is
>>
>>332213957
>Depending on your opponent you also need to deviate.

And pick the one attack type that's best and use it until the enemy is dead.

You're trying to act like there's some strategy involves in this process but all it boils down to is picking what gives you the best AP/thc/dmg ratio and using it over and over and maybe using a net sometime

> Not to mention when you're playing against multiple opponents.

wowie zowie, attack the most threatening enemy with the one attack that works best against them then move on to the next dude.

> Overall, the game is tactically a lot more elaborate than Fallout for example.
wewe lade
>>
>>332215193
>Zahua
can't discard your opinion hard enough
>>
>>332201751
every single 'combat' in the game is filler trash.
>>
File: 2015-07-01_00001.jpg (302 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-01_00001.jpg
302 KB, 1920x1080
>>332198740
I enjoy it very much. It reminds me of Planescape, in the way you can get through the game without entering combat at all.

The combat itself is punishing though. Really fucking punishing.
>>
File: 2015-07-01_00002.jpg (294 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-01_00002.jpg
294 KB, 1920x1080
>>332215449
>>
>>332215449
>It reminds me of Planescape, in the way you can get through the game without entering combat at all.
is such thing even possible?
>>
>>332215606
Well, it wasn't in Planescape
>>
File: 2016-02-29_00001.jpg (411 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-29_00001.jpg
411 KB, 1920x1080
>>332215332
Not that Anon but
>You're trying to act like there's some strategy involves in this process but all it boils down to is picking what gives you the best AP/thc/dmg ratio and using it over and over and maybe using a net sometime

Try playing a ranged build, especially a crossbow one. It involves a lot more strategy.

Not to mention things like positioning, crowd control and such are also very important. There were lots of fights when the "grab" move or liquid fire made the whole fight a lot more easier etc.
>>
>>332215332
>And pick the one attack type that's best and use it until the enemy is dead.
And picking that right attack for the right enemy type, knowing which enemy to engage in which order at which position is the embodiment of tactical depth. With a spear/bow you also need to make sure that you're not cornered, etc.

>You're trying to act like there's some strategy involves in this process
General Carl von Clausewitz defined strategy as the lore of the use of battles for the purpose of war. What you're talking about is tactics, which is the lore of commanding troops in battle. And yes, this is what tactics are about. Depending on environmental constraints, depending on equipment constraints and other factors you decide what you're going to do.

Have you played with all types of combat builds? You just told me you haven't even entered the third city.

>attack the most threatening enemy with the one attack that works best against them then move on to the next dude.
What is the most threatening enemy? That would depend on your own equipment and the enemy's equipment as well as his stats. Finding that out isn't immediately apparent and finding the right solution to a problem often requires multiple attempts.

I don't know what you are expecting in terms of tactics, and frankly: I don't think you know it yourself.

Especially when talking about RPGs with a heavy role playing focus, it is rare to see a game with tactical combat that elaborate, which is why the Fallout example was mentioned. Torment or Arcanum don't excel in terms of combat either.
>>
>>332215606
You need to fight (or simply 1 hit bacstab them) Ravel and Trias but beyond that you can play with nofights.
>>
>>332214919
Stop shilling your shitty game in an unrelated thread
>>
>>332215020
>The point wasn't that Fallout had good combat
it may not be the deepest but it's definitely enjoyable
>firiging gauss pistol for the first time, using minigun for the first time
the best
>>
>>332215449
>I enjoy it very much. It reminds me of Planescape, in the way you can get through the game without entering combat at all.

So it's nothing like Planescape?
>>
>>332198740
>okayish story
>good atmosphere
>garbage combat

Its a PC exclusive RPG alright.
>>
>>332216316
>it may not be the deepest but it's definitely enjoyable
And so is combat in Age of Decadence.
>>
>>332216213
>With a spear/bow you also need to make sure that you're not cornered, etc.
>implying going into a corner and throwing a bunch of liquid fires isn't the best tactic for a ranged build
Git gud Anon

But I agree, me pointing this out only proves your point.
>>
>>332216363
Combat is pretty good though and the plot is great - most of all because of its interactive nature. You actually get to affect how things play out at the greater scale with actually branching paths, which is really rare.
>>
>>332216504
>implying going into a corner and throwing a bunch of liquid fires isn't the best tactic for a ranged build
Looks like you haven't played a bow build in a while, because plenty of enemies have ranged weapons nowdays which they'll take out and use quite proficiently when you try that sort of thing.
>>
>>332216640
Yeah, I didn't play in a while.

Used to be pretty damn effective though. And you couldn't abuse it since liquid fire is quite costly and scarce, even if you can craft it.
>>
File: NFPRIMBI_sw.gif (10 KB, 70x64) Image search: [Google]
NFPRIMBI_sw.gif
10 KB, 70x64
>>332216450
can i do this on aod?
>>
It's so easy to see how to weed casuals out when they say AoD combat is terrible. What it is is poorly documented and explained. It's the most nuanced combat system in a CRPG since Temple of Elemental Evil and it does all that without needing to rely on shit like spells to make it seem like there are a lot of options.
>>
>>332216953
*in
>>
>>332216913
It's still effective against creatures like the demons, but most humanoid enemies have some sort of throwing or missile weapon.
>>
>>332216953
AoD has some pretty satisfying "finishing moves". Though you're more likely to see them performed on yourself more often than the other way around.
>>
>>332216953
Not outright gore like that but spear killing blow animations are great. Skewering someone then kicking them off the spear was a nice to watch.
>>
File: 084746.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
084746.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>332216953
No, but you can do this.
>>
I made a thief, got a quest to sneak into a nearby outpost and look around it, got in and didn't have enough lore skill or whatever to tell what I was looking at so the quest couldn't progress, then I turned off the game. Probably other ways to get into the castle but nothing happening in the first 20 minutes made me want to continue playing it, not like I paid for it, might give it another try at some point.
>>
>>332217219
do you have the one for the one handed spear?
>>
>>332217219
Is that the power armour? Can you use it without the energy shield now?
>>
File: FO1_Electrical_critical_hit.gif (16 KB, 44x73) Image search: [Google]
FO1_Electrical_critical_hit.gif
16 KB, 44x73
>>332217219
c'mon step it up
>>
File: 084659.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
084659.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>332217072
Is bolter arterial strike with 10 CS still OP?

Because it sure used to be last time I played.

I also remeber someone who killed Agatoth in 3 hits with 10 crafting 10 CS dagger build.

>>332217337
Sure

>>332217371
No idea, haven't played in a while.

Would be cool though.
>>
>>332217336
>I made a thief, got a quest to sneak into a nearby outpost and look around it, got in and didn't have enough lore skill or whatever to tell what I was looking at so the quest couldn't progress
That's wrong though.

You can also pick the lock on their treasure chest and steal the power tube. You don't need to make use of it. The lore thing is for characters who are scholars, a thief can simply bring that tube back to the guy who gave him the job to complete the quest (of course you can also complete it by different means). Not to mention that in Age of Decadence you don't need and won't be able to complete everything. AoD is meant to be played multiple times with multiple builds to see different sides of the same story and how it can play out differently depending on what you're able to do and whom you side with.
>>
>>332217535
There are few things in existance that are more satysfying than Fallout electrical/burning death animations.

Lets not expect too much.
>>
>>332217556
so fucking satisfying seeing that. i should start up another run seeing how they've updated quite a bit since i last played.

anyone know if you can craft the wolf helmets yet?
>>
>Trying to defeat Melinus' ambush in the first town.

That fat bearded fuck.
>>
>>332217728
I had more social skills than combat, stealth the highest and locks second highest and still didn't have enough to unlock the chest.
>>
>>332217908
You don't need to finish that quest, but if you'd like to you can get bonus points in lockpicking from reading the books in Feng's study. There are other things you can do before in order to get a few experience points so that you can get the right amount of skills. I think lockpicking of 3 or 4 is enough to pick the chest. You should be able to run away and return later. Lockpicking of 6 or 7 is enough to pick most locks in the game. I think the most difficult test demands lockpicking skill of 8.
>>
>>332218206
Also I might add: in AoD it's wise for non-combat characters to meta-game it a little, hold a few points back before spending them, in order to spend them when you need them since you don't want to run into checks you can't pass. This is the problem that comes with their rather unforgiving mechanics, but I think it's perfectly legitimate.
>>
>>332217774
>anyone know if you can craft the wolf helmets yet?
As I said haven't played in a while, but I doubt that. Crafting is pretty lackluster overall, the selection of things you can craft is pretty limited.

I'm still fucking mad they won't let us craft repeating/double/scoped crossbows, especially the scoped and reapeting one. They are both fucking great as a concept but since they can't get any crafting bonuses they become useless very fast.

"Snipe" attack on scoped crossbow is fucking great since it pretty much always has 90%+ THC and lots of CS as well on extremaly long distances where your usual THC would be around 10%, at the cost of 8 AP if I remeber correctly.

Repeating crossbow could make for an interesting 10 alchemy build where the main tactic would be to just poison everyone in one turn, run the fuck away/liquid fire/use the "burst" attack and reapply poison when needed.

So much potential wasted.
>>
File: sniggering dog colalge.png (268 KB, 332x313) Image search: [Google]
sniggering dog colalge.png
268 KB, 332x313
>>332217024
>It's the most nuanced combat system in a CRPG since Temple of Elemental Evil
>>
>>332218431
>Crafting is pretty lackluster overall, the selection of things you can craft is pretty limited.
That depends.

"regular" arms and armour are pretty good when crafted.
>>
>>332217024
Then funny thing is everyone complains about sacescumming while there are players who can ironman the whole game on a combat build no problem.
>>
>>332218468
Not the guy you're talking to but if you expect to be taken seriously you might want to provide an argument for why that's not the case.
>>
>>332218398
I think that metagaming thinking is inevitable and it ends hurting the game a little.
>>
>He didn't get the ending where you become a literal god

Loremaster master race
>>
>>332218532
>craft ordu leather armor
>gee I sure would like to craft an ordu leather helmet to go with it
>can't craft ordu leather helmets for some reason
Nah

I'mm not saying crafting is bad because it's pretty strong especially for melee, but the amount of things you can craft is limited in a strange way.

Hell they could make a quest where you look for some nont-so-legendary master blacksmith who will teach you how to craft cooler stuff.
>>
I swear I see the same post in every crpg thread
>>
>>332218779
But I did

>he didn't the ending where you literally nuke a God, yourself and the whole city
>>
>>332218858
I completely agree. I'm just saying that for melee builds crafting can be pretty useful - even though it's oddly limited.
>>
>>332218398
The things is that the game actually wants you to fail a few minor checks from time to time so you know which skills you need to raise. You are not supposed to pass the 100% of the time, even if you raise said skill.

The life-or-death checks are usually low enough .
>>
>>332219207
There are definitely a few quite nasty checks in the game, so I wouldn't recommend anyone relying on guesswork alone. Metagaming is the most frustration free way to get through the game. And once you're familiar with the situations you may encounter you can make your build in a more "educated" fashion on order to create interesting characters.
>>
>>332218858
So they still haven't added in more crafting options in the latest build? I remember them adding capes so I sorta assumed they added even more stuff over time. But I haven't kept up with the updates.
>>
>>332219469
Yeah it can be quite frustrating.

I think there should be some light hints to make you know how hard the check might be. I'm not talking about something like
>you need exactly x persuasion to pass that check

but something like
>that guy looks pretty angry, doesn't look like it will be easy to convince him
>>
Age of Decadence is one of the few games where I unironically enjoyed the lore
>>
File: watchmen5-21.jpg (1 MB, 1794x1428) Image search: [Google]
watchmen5-21.jpg
1 MB, 1794x1428
This is one of the best post on 4chan ever. I'm gonna save it because such discussion about a game semi-forgotten and good makes me happy.
>>
>>332219897
Me neither.

I might check in a moment.
>>
>>332218643

It's your usual cRPG combat, lots of options but you're just going to use a couple them for 99% of the fights.
>>
>>332219959

That number was fucking insane with the symmetrical frames.
>>
>>332220251
That's already proven wrong by the amount of people that says you need to savescum to get past combat. That's like saying you can finish XCOM by just shooting things blindly while in the open by savescumming.
>>
>>332220251
>lots of options but you're just going to use a couple them for 99% of the fights
It really depends on the build you are playing and AoD doesn't really have many of filler trash combat encounters, a lot of them are pretty unique.
>>
>>332220430
>That's already proven wrong by the amount of people that says you need to savescum to get past combat

You're still gonna use the same shit, except this time you'll pray harder so hopefully the first two archer attacks won't crit
>>
>>332220251
I disagree there. While your singular build is going to fight somewhat similarly, e.g. you're probably going to use at most three different types of attacks as well as some consumable types, the fighting styles of the different weapons is actually quite different.

e.g. a spear fights completely different from a dagger and requires completely different tactics.

This is something you rarely see in games, where different weapons usually only do different types of damage while everything else is pretty much the same. In AoD, weapons have different abilities (e.g. "debuffing" is done with specific types of crippling attacks which depending on the enemy type can be more or less effective), and different strengths which play out in different situations.

For a game where you only control a single character it has a surprising amount of tactical depth.
>>
>>332215420
you're filler trash faggot
>>
>>332199012
The mechanics are ass. I play CRPGs for fun combat and character building. This game punishes you for fucking fighting half the time.
>>
>>332220618
That's exactly what happens when I play XCOM too.
>>
>>332220618
Not really, in that case you should net/bola the archers, or maybe grab one of the melee guys to go after archers first.

I still remember that ambush after you steal a gem from a rich guy in Madooran, 3 melee guys and 2 ranged behind a barricade. Playing a crossbow build myself.

Literally ubeatable until I figured out to grab one of them to get past the barricade, throw liquid fire so I have 3 turns to deal with the archers and gain some distance before they can get to me.
>>
>>332221248
>Not really, in that case you should net/bola the archers, or maybe grab one of the melee guys to go after archers first.

> implying the archers didn't go first

also you don't have to do any of that shit if you put enough points into dodge
>>
Is one-handed spear + shield viable yet
>>
>>332221579
>>implying the archers didn't go first
You should start with more DEX then.

>also you don't have to do any of that shit if you put enough points into dodge
Depends on the fight. In some end game fights enemies can still hit you pretty reliably even at 10 dodge.

Also
>not just wearing heavy armor so you can crit everything to hell sooner
git gud
>>
>>332198740
>>332200092
How about you just play the demo you fucking faggot?
>"WAAAAH, GAMES DON'T HAVE DEMOS ANYMORE!"
>but when they do, don't play them, just solicit the opinions of anonymous /v/irgins who haven't played a video game since 2008
>>
THIS THREAD IS THE TITS LOVE YOU ALL
>>
>need to clear an outpost
>kill 3 guards at the front
>loot them
>reached carry weight limit, so I returned to town to sell all of the loot, then came back to finish the rest of the outpost

>the game actually reacts ti this
>the rest of the guards set up a barricade and armed the slaves while I was gone
>need to pass the dodge check while jumping through the barricade because the fuckers are shooting at me with the bows
>fail, lost half of my HP before the fight even begins
>get wrecked by battle slaves
>need to get something from a remote monastery
>there are raiders outside
>talk to them
>they want to destroy the monastery, kill everyone inside and steal everything
>refuse because moralfag
>I decide to leave for now and come back later when I'm stronger

>come back
>the game actually reacts to this
>raider destroyed the monastery soon after I left and took everything valueable
>quest failed

10/10 breddy good
>>
>>332223742
Also

>talk to a raider leader
>try to kill him with a surprise attack
>failed, he knocks me to the ground
>all of the raiders start kicking me until I pass out
>wake up later
>raiders are gone
>lost some max HP because they were pretty brutal
>also gained some dodge skill because being almost kicked to death is good practice
>>
>>332223742
>quest failed
This is something people fail to grasp most of the time when playing AoD. It's ok to fail as long as you don't die. The only way this kind of interactive storytelling could be better is if the game actually moves forward without player input like in The Last Express. Now there's another game with beautiful replayability.
>>
I love threads about this game. so confrontational and bait-filled just to say the simple truth
>visuals suck
>story and choices rock
>combat is meh, unless you like dodging through plot
>>
>>332224464
>>visuals suck
Artwork is pretty though.
>>
>>332224426
> It's ok to fail as long as you don't die
Dying is fine too.

Some death screens are pretty cool and I used to play ironman for a while.
>>
>>332214987
Nah, pretty jelly of people that did. Wanted to like this game
>>
>>332224762
I meant progression wise. The game could use more custom game over screens but the few that exists are pretty good.
>>
>>332224426
>It's ok to fail as long as you don't die

Sure you might not be dead but it's still a quest failure and coming back later would have been a better idea.
>>
>>332224426
>This is something people fail to grasp most of the time when playing AoD. It's ok to fail as long as you don't die.
Well the game kind of gives the impression of "you should be minmaxing" throughout
>>
>>332225126
the thing about failure in AoD is that it usually opens up another path that you would not have access to otherwise. it's not really a failure but a branching path.
>>
>>332225608
There are different kinds of minmaxed builds. I assume you mean hybrids. Even minmaxed hybrid builds can't do everything. Actually they have to fail some checks in order to get access to easier alternatives. What hybrids do is give you as much access to lore/areas in a single run.
>>
>>332226040
Yeah, just thought how hard the game could give a "fuck you, you spread yourself too thin" made me weary to not just reload for the (what i supposed was) the best outcome. I mean I was save scumming enough of the battles already so that kind of set the appproach for the game for me
which sucks, but couldn't deal with the dichotomy
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsJgjGjppG0
>>
>played through as merchant and hybrid
>still not done any of the god shit beyond whats in the end game
>somehow not even curious to look into it
I feel like I'm missing out while not actually caring at all, perfectly content with my time with the game
>>
>>332227420
>I feel like I'm missing out
Well, you are.

A lot actually.
>>
>>332227515
Suppose I have something to look forward to for whenever I want to replay it
>>
What happened with the third city? Why is it so bad?
>>
>>332227629
Yeah, the game has lots of replayability.

>>332227739
They probably rushed it.

Pretty common.
>>
>>332227420
You can't say you finished the game if you didn't use the divine spear.
>>
>>332228334
Thing is a lot of the appeal in the game for me was the post apocalyptic Rome thing they had going on, so happily pretended the rest didn't exist and game played along with that well.
>>
>>332227739
There's actually a lot to do but at that point the game has branched so much that it's become spread out so much you only see a tiny fraction of the things that can be done. There's no doubt that it was a step down from Maadoran. It was trying to force you to concentrate on the end game at that point but it didn't work quite well.
>>
>>332228464
Theres lots of other ways to play without ever touching the gods stuff.

Pretty much all of the guild questlines as along as you don't have any lore/crafting.
>>
>>332228672
Yeah what I did, absolutely loved it too
>>
So, how can you make a hybrid build work?
>>
>>332198740
Glad they're moving over to UE for their next game. Torque of all engines is really strange
>>
>>332229158
At least it's not as much as a performance hog as Unity
>>
>>332229064
Deepnds on what kind of hybrid you are looking for.

I found that crossbow builds make best hybrids if you want to get the most content out of the game.

They don't get anything out of STR so you can dump it all the way to 4, you don't need critical strike (unless you want to kill the final boss, then it's a must) and dodge, while very useful, is not necessary. Rasing the crossbow skill only will carry you through the whole game, maybe with some savescumming, if it bothers you take dodge as well.

So, that leaves you with lots of points to spend on non-combat skills.

Lore and crafting give access to lots of content, but you don't need to rasie them above 6-8 or so.

Perusasion is also very useful, but you don't really need more than 6.

Alchemy should be at 4. optimal for checks and dialogue options.

And maybe some lockipicking, 4 is the best as well if you ask me, maybe 6 if you want to open almost everything.
>>
>>332229358
It's just strange to me that they made a game on the same engine as tribes 2 when it's not even popular.
>>
>>332229750
They started more than 10 years ago while Unity wasn't really a thing yet.

And later on they just had too much work done already to switch.
>>
>>332229727
>Alchemy should be at 4. optimal for checks and dialogue options.
Meant for combat and dialogues. You need alchemy for poisons and liquid fire.
>>
>>332229158
I thought it did pretty well all things considered. If you want a Torque clusterfuck, look at Dead State.
>>
>>332229727
Thanks. Is there any way to make melee hybrids viable?
>>
>>332230626
Yeah, but I never did one.

You will definetly need either dodge/block or crafting (for OP heavy armors) with critical strike for combat.

Since melee benefits from STR it means less point for PER/INT which are used in lots of non-combat checks.

But on the other hand you won't really need any alchemy.

I think your best bet would be to get block/dodge, lots of points into CHA, persuasion and streetwise , some in the etiquetee and maybe trading. So it owuld be hybrid focused on the social stuff rather than lore stuff.
>>
>>332230626
You should look at the stats for the arena challengers which are all player made. Widowmaker in particular doesn't have defensive stats at all.
>>
BEST THREAD
Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.