[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I try a Yakuza game (PS3)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: A5F3gra.jpg (21 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
A5F3gra.jpg
21 KB, 600x300
I have never played a Yakuza game before, except for Yakuza 4 demo, which I liked. I've played the demo a few years ago, so the game might not be a special game anymore in 2016. I've played games as GTA (IV and V) and Sleeping Dogs and I like them. Is Yakuza special/better than GTA or other similar open world games or is it nothing special anymore and if it is, which Yakuza game(s) should I get?
>>
Yes, play the series.

You can start with any game, watch the recaps. 4 is on PSN.
>>
>>332195675
>GTA (IV and V) and Sleeping Dogs
Don't go into Yakuza thinking this is what it will be like, because it's not. A better comparison would be something like Shenmue. They're good quality games and you can sink a ton of time into them doing all the side missions and mini games.

>>332195972
>4 is on PSN.
Pretty sure I've seen 5 on there as well if I remember correctly.
>>
>>332196978
>Pretty sure I've seen 5 on there as well if I remember correctly.
Yes, 5 is digital only.

>A better comparison would be something like Shenmue
Not that good comparison. River City Ransom is better.
>>
>>332195675
Playing Yakuza 4...
Why are the cutscenes so fucking long? Most of the game is pressing X to advance text.
>>
>>332197393
Story centric.
Sadly, Y3, Y4, Y5 have such a crap story.
>>
>>332196978
Yeah, but don't start with 5. Either start with 1 or 3/4. But make sure to watch the recaps in the main menu.
>>
>>332197553
Y1 and Y2 aren't any better. They all have melodrama stories with lots of filler, terrible pacing and dialogue, and one dimensional characters.
>>
>>332197843
Maybe so but they're coherent and wrap up well, especially 2.

3 kills of characters because why not or chases away important character because why not and shit happens because why not and none of the characters matter get mentioned after that title because why not. Except for Hamazaki

4 on the other hand completely relies on coincidences and stupidity of the characters a lot.

5 preaches about muh dreams of a single dead person we're supposed to care about only to fuck it up at the end anyhow.
>>
>>332197843
>with lots of filler
If you ignore the optional substories there's not really any filler there though
I'm not sure why anyone would ignore the substories since that's where a lot of the fun is though (probably because they don't take themselves as seriously as the main story does I suppose)

>terrible pacing and dialogue, and one dimensional characters.
terrible pacing is arguable
the dialogue is fine though and the main characters aren't one-dimensional, they're just dumb

>>332197553
3, 4 and 5 all have good parts to it that get fucked up later on, I feel. The series doesn't benefit at all from the increasingly widened scope that more recent games have had.
>>
>>332198426
>relies on coincidences and stupidity of the characters a lot.

Every single Yakuza story, including the first two.
Out of all localized Yakuza games, the only ones I could consider unbearable as far as their stories go are Yakuza 3 and 5 since nothing interesting happens for most of them.
>>
>>332195675
Ideally you should start from 1 and play through every game in release order for best experience.

If you can't into emulation or don't know japanese (1 & 2 have HD versions on ps3 in japanese) then you can probably start with 3 or 4.
>>
>>332199551
>there's not really any filler there though

Did you forget the most obvious example, the first half of Yakuza 3 and the orphanage story?
>>
>>332200229
That wasn't filler. The orphanage was tied to the game's dumb main plot and Kiryu getting mixed up with thr turf war in that town comes back to bite him later on in the story.
>>
>>332199641
>Every single Yakuza story, including the first two.
Dude, Y4 is literally
Akiyama getting mixed into this shit because muh Riry happens to be Saejima's sister while coincidentally Saejima coincidentally bumps to Hamazaki who coincidentally is finding out about the Tojo shit that happened ages ago and coincidentally the proof just happens to be within that prison and coincidentally the first person Saejima bumps into is Kiryu of all people outside of prison (coincidentally it's Hamazaki who is coincidentally in the same prison) then coincidentally more of this and that while Tanimura coincidentally mixes up into this shit thanks to people in the police force and some more fucking coincidents with rubber bullets and coincidents at rooftops and coincidents at millenium tower and then Daigo appears to be beat up because they forgot to make another relevant character
Ok I skipped a lot but Y4 relies on coincidents so fucking much.
>>
>>332200387
The orphanage and the landowner plot are connected, but 90% of the time you are wasting time helping and learning about the kids.
>>
>>332200512
The coincidences seem bigger than before because you actually played as the four different characters that are connected by coincidences. Just imagine playing Yakuza 2 with multiple characters and how much more contrived a lot of the plotpoints would have been such as the brother/sister twist.
>>
>>332201860
I guess so but that's what's exactly jarring.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.