[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ATTN whatever Falcom employee did this I hope you get raped
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 52
>Toal
>Nightmare mde
>teleport trap room
I hope the slant-eyed, bucktoothed ching chong nip piece of subhuman waste who designed this part gets slowly and painfully killed by having rice pumped up his asshole with an enema until he bursts. I hope his entire family watches - knowing that once he is dead, they will go through the same process.

Good game otherwise though
>>
File: ysorigin-character-theclaw.jpg (69 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
ysorigin-character-theclaw.jpg
69 KB, 450x600
and fuck you too rintaro anime wolverine for making me go through this
>>
>>332194425
That's not even the worst part
Just wait until you reach the Evil's corridor
>>
>>332194425
I don't even remember how I got through this room. All I know is that it was a nightmare.
>>
>get to low hp
>boost charges very fast
What a horrible room.
>>
>>332195006
what happens there
>>
Maybe you should go back to playing some pretend-hard game like Dark Souls.
>>
>>332195483
It's a very big room where you have to kill about 10 strong enemies, and you quickly lose HP if you aren't on boost mode
>>
File: Yunica.Tovah.full.796442.jpg (61 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
Yunica.Tovah.full.796442.jpg
61 KB, 450x600
>>332195483
cuz if it really is that bad then fuck Toal I'm just gonna do nightmare mode with Yunica and call it a day
>>
>>332194425
I haven't played toal's mode yet, is that his gimmick, no hp?
>>
>>332194425
God damm this took me so fucking long to get passed. Havent been that angry since.

God I love the Ys series though. Nightmare on any of them is a blast. What is the hardest out of the ones you have played bros? For me I think it would be oath
>>
File: 1416208932328.png (10 KB, 381x351) Image search: [Google]
1416208932328.png
10 KB, 381x351
>>332194425
>ys
>remember I didn't finish Napishtim final battle
>cataclism but it wasn't even on Nightmare
One day I will manage to strangle those three fucking tiny flying cunts while raping his boss.
>>
>>332195613
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2743124 doesn't sound as bad because you can at least grind through it (I hate grinding in action games, but at least there's an alternative)
>>332195578
I can't afford to play any of the Souls games because I'm a dirty eastern european piece of shit. No decent PC, no last-gen console, nothing.

Yunica run was near-perfectly designed and I had virtually no complaints aside from the penultimate two bosses being a bit too easy.

Hugo I haven't bothered with cuz he makes my fingers hurt.

It's not bad that the room is hard, it's bad that it's hard in a way that doesn't come even close to anything that came before, requires pixel-perfect moves, forces you to be near-death so that your burst meter will go up faster (AND EVEN THEN IT GOES TOO SLOW) and above all else it teleports you so that you have to backtrack like 2 fucking minutes to get back.

I have no fucking idea what they were thinking
>>
>>332196205
Should mention Ive beaten oath, ark, and origins on nightmare. Havent gone back and beaten 1 and 2 on nightmare yet. Working on Celceta atm even though its rough going from butter smooth fps on my 144hz monitor to 25-30ish fps on my PSTV. Great game so far though.
>>
>>332196260
so grind out an extra level then. welcome to ys, if you're getting your shit shoved in, go level up
>>
>>332196260
Also, I assume I can make up for over-leveling in one area by simply avoiding enemies for a while, so it shouldn't permanently cripple the game's difficulty.
>>332196205
It's a good series that evolved into what at least a sub-section of modern Zeldas should have been (and what Zelda was originally advertised as before everyone was brainwashed into thinking even the old games were about "puzzles"). I even thought the PC Engine version of Ys I, which everyone probably thinks is shit because Kurt Kalata said so on HG101 (he's wrong and stupid and sucks at games), was good and fun. That's a game that got flooded on Metacritic and Steam with "1/10 worst shit ever" reviews in its far-improved PC remake; I played one of the really early remakes and STILL liked it.

That goddamn room though? Still total bullshit.
>>332196627
Except I played through Yunica's hard mode without grinding. Ys I also had very minimal grinding which was surprising given when it was made (though I guess the PCE version is balanced better)

If Youtube is any infication grinding actually makes bosses less fun in Origin. So if Nightmare mode absolutely requires it then it's simply not as well-designed as hard mode.
>>
File: bitchassnigga.png (3 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
bitchassnigga.png
3 MB, 1280x1024
>>332196627
>>332196948
Some idiot on Steam said he had to grind for "days" to beat this thing on hard mode and that it's a terrible boss, I did just fine with Yunica on Hard mode once again.
>>
File: Origin_Wallpaper_17.jpg (411 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Origin_Wallpaper_17.jpg
411 KB, 1280x960
>>332196948
>>332197084
Oh and, not that I thinking mandatory grinding absolutely breaks a game. I like Monster Hunter... it's just, DESPITE the grinding. Not for it.

It's a shame if it's really required for Toal cuz I like his gameplay. Anime as fuck especially if you tap special attack.
>>
File: bg_0506.jpg (289 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
bg_0506.jpg
289 KB, 1024x768
Okay, one last post of me talking to myself; how is Oath's difficulty compared to Origin? Given my comments in this thread, would I enjoy Nightmare mode or just go for Hard? Normal I just found way too easy in Origin so I don't expect it to be much better in Oath.
>>
File: thetruth.jpg (32 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
thetruth.jpg
32 KB, 400x266
The only good Ys game is I & II.

The rest is shit, only a retarded cheap smash-button grindfest, Chaos Legion had it 13 years ago.
J.D.K. is always perfect, tho.
>>
>>332198027

And who disagree is a hipster weeaboo who want to sound cool liking "indie underground" wapanese games.
>>
>>332197084
That one's kind of a pain with Toal because he has no range, but it can be brute forced down. The game's really not that bad on Nightmare. Apart from the retardation of the trap in the OP and the evil corridor someone else mentioned, the only really annoying bit is the mantis boss because, again, no range.
>>
>>332197867
Its literally one of the hardest games Ive ever played. That being said I would go for Nightmare still. One of my all time favorite games.
>>
>>332197867
That's great, keep that expectation low , the realization will be much more sweet when that game proves you the fuck wrong
>>
>>332194425
what are the differences between the psp and pc versions of the ys games that are on both those platforms? if theres not much, ill probably just emulate on psp
>>
>>332198912
origins is on DS
>>
>>332199081
please anon, no memes
>>
>>332198912
Honestly man just wait for a sale on steam and you can get all 5 of them that are on steam for like 20-25 bucks. They're optimized incredibly well, look great, and have a better FOV. Also Origins is PC only. And yes im kind of shilling but thats because I love this series and wish more people did as well.
>>
File: 1350705239066.jpg (32 KB, 250x331) Image search: [Google]
1350705239066.jpg
32 KB, 250x331
>>332194425
>I play games on the hardest difficulty and then complain when they are hard
>>
File: ys4pce-just-a-story.gif (486 KB, 512x232) Image search: [Google]
ys4pce-just-a-story.gif
486 KB, 512x232
>>332198027
I liked 1 because it was short and felt like a nice little adventure and had historical appeal, but I'll admit I got bored halfway through the PC remake of 2. Even on Nightmare I found the bosses too easy and I had already spoiled too much of the game through Youtube to feel like bothering. I was also doing a hard mode Yunica run of Origin at the same time which I chose to focus on instead because it was just more engaging to me.

Of the old-style games I want to play the PC Engine IV one day, the one developed by Hudson... oddly enough Japanese people seem to not like it much based on Amazon reviews. Still it looks to me like the Ys game with the best art direction. The sprites are pretty nice and the 90s fantasy anime cutscenes are absolutely fucking gorgeous, the best art style in the series except maybe Seven.
>>332198612
>>332198826
Another thing I could do is a Hard run then Nightmare boss rush. I kinda want to do the latter with Yunica in Origin since I like her; for some reason the idea of having the "dumb but tough" warrior class be a girl really appeals to me. I did the same when customizing characters in FF5 for example.
>>
>trying to beat Kishgal 1 in nightmare
>Cutscene after every death
>Origins has so much unskipable shit replaying anything in general is a pain in the ass

Still best boss fight, but why did they do that?
>>
Hi, how is Ark? Just bought it on GoG.
>>
>>332198234
Mantis isn't bad, except for the endless healing, I'm ashamed to say but I bug him so as to not waste time in such a boring fight.
>>
File: ys2pc88-intro-04.png (4 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
ys2pc88-intro-04.png
4 KB, 640x400
I also like the art direction in the even older ones since they basically look like an episode of Cream Lemon and that's always good.

The VN art in the new ones is pretty weak, even if mechanically they are far superior. They even "updated" the 90s remake art in the PC versions by that one female artist whose name I forgot to give it shitty VN airbrush shading instead of the anime-like shading it used to have. LAME.
>>332199426
I'm not complaining that it's hard, I'm complaining that it's poorly designed. None of the boss battles I've played so far on Nightmare (first 2 with Yunica, justy one with Toal) felt obnoxiously punishing. Losing doesn't force you to nearly get killed, wait for a meter to slowly recharge four times, and above all else teleport you back to the fucking beginning if you fail so you have to backtrack all the way through.

This is more obnoxious artificial game-lengthening than well-designed difficulty. But as I said I love the game anyway, I just wanted to vent.
>>
>>332200497
Yeah, it's just tedious. I think I had to go through 6 or 7 phases before it just stopped spitting out babbies.
>>
>>332200404
Feels like a PSP game. A couple of bosses are just awful. It's still enjoyable, but it feels out of date compared to Origin/Oath.
>>
>>332200601
I just abused this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QUTMylG9avE
He's just a bad boss and the second half of the fight keeps wasting your time.
>>
File: 61943.jpg (49 KB, 225x318) Image search: [Google]
61943.jpg
49 KB, 225x318
>>332200890
>>332200404
All I know about Ark is that it has this one really nice song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhDKZlasoEc#t=0m25s

...that JAM Project totally fucking plagiarized for their opening for that one VN with absolutely disgusting human character designs but extremely good creature ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAXEMvIHtT0

Not like it's the first time;

>Mazinkaiser OP
>You Give Love a Bad Name

Speaking of music, the atmospherically coolest part of my Yunica Hard Mode run was this song kicking in after the Roy's death cutscene to get across the best possible "KEEP GOING, GO KICK SOME ASS" feeling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnQ7TamDQs

Cool as shit.
>>
>>332201662
Fucked up with the last link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnQ7TamDQsI
>>
File: ysc 2016-03-27 14-47-54-84.jpg (188 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
ysc 2016-03-27 14-47-54-84.jpg
188 KB, 1600x900
I'm enjoying MoC. Very fast paced
>>
>>332200579
It's a design overlook, nightmare reduces boost duration a lot more than any difficulty jump, but they forgot to adjust that room accirdingly. The corridor isn't that bad when you realise the thunder claws heals a lot more when in demon form.
You notice this a lot in Origins because with three characters some bosses demand stupid strategies to kill them optimally, but things like Felghana's inferno had more thought behind.
>>
File: ohno.png (3 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
ohno.png
3 MB, 1280x960
I love this freaking bit.

Oh well, time to fight Velagunder.
>>332202046
I'm not entirely sure why Origin is the one the PC Mustard Race audience gathered around while Felghana is generally more obscure. Then again I have yet to play Felghana so yeah.

I checked Amazon Japan reviews and a lot of people seemed pissed that in their version, you have to complete the game with Yunica AND Hugo to unlock Toal. Which, yeah, is pretty dumb but thankfully not an issue for Steam users.
>>
>>332203278
It's dumb but makes sense plotvwise. Yunica is very similar to Adol's moveset in Felghana, so people would gravitate towards her (and, you know, not acting as a faggot like Hugo does) but without playing Hugo's story you don't even learn Toal's name and a few other plot points.

Felghana is slightly older so you do notice a few unpolished parts, but it's just as good. I think Mustards don't like PSP has more festures while they only get a better res and fps. Not sure if Inferno is exclusive or not.
>>
File: fug.png (3 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
3 MB, 1280x960
...I really need a ton of practice with Toal.
>>
>>332204013
Honestly, you spend like 90% of this fight running in circles from the laser, or slip-sliding around because of the slime.
>>
>>332203909
>I think Mustards don't like PSP has more festures while they only get a better res and fps
PSP can keep that double boost crap.
>>
>>332200175

That fireplace fire is too large. At that size, it would start burning the wood around it.

Source: I work on fires for a living.
>>
File: yqwkuyqwd.png (3 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
yqwkuyqwd.png
3 MB, 1280x960
>>332204116
AT LEAST I'M MAKING PROGRESS
>>332203909
A complaint I saw for both the PC and PSP versions of these games is that they are "dated" and others positively call them "old-school", which is weird because I really can't compare them to any pre-2000s game. The old Ys games have a similar appeal at their core but play quite differently.
>>
>>332204749
"Dated" is a buzzword used to dismiss games that didn't come out yesterday without actually explaining why you don't like them.
>>
Someone post the "off the beaten track" review for Oath. I know you people have it.
>>
>>332204749
That fight is hell without AoE. Don't forget to use jump attacos on the boss and not be afraid to boost against slugs.

Those people are silly, it's only a year older than origins and I don't have major complaints. Even if I like Origins more it's good not to feel locked inside a tower. The remade soundtrack also is fucking amazing, look up the strongest foe fir instance. (It's the final boss theme, so watch for spoilers).
>>
>>332204013
>Toal
Jump attack. The rising jump one. Shit hits like a billion times in a second. It's Toal's bread and butter.
>>
>>332194425
Oh yeah that room. I finished Origin on Nightmare with Toal and Hugo and I have absolutely no memory of how I did it.
>>
>>332204749
You can finish each phase before it gets a chance to heal, at least with Yunica and Toal on time attack
>>
>>332204992
Dated is not a buzzword if used correctly. Not being able to use a mouse to aim in a shooter is a dated control scheme.
>>
>>332207118
You need to be in Boost mode to not get sucked into the trap. And I think on harder difficulties Boost lasts less, or maybe the idols in this room are tougher, either way, it's not real to do it on just one go. So you have to sit and wait until your Boost meter recharges on its own, because if you leave the room, the idols will respawn. Not very fun or challenging.
You can speed up the process by getting yourself on low HP, since Boost charges faster the less HP you have.
>>
>>332204749
Why do so many bosses in Origin heal themselves?
Also, why does Darm heal some chunks of HP every so often, is there any trigger for it?
>>
>>332209426
I think Darm heals whenever you phase change to a set amount.
>>
>>332209426
I actually don't remember Darm healing. Strangely, I thought he was one of the easier bosses on Toal nightmare.
>>
>>332210385
>I thought he was one of the easier bosses on Toal nightmare.
Seriously?
I fought him for like 3 hours with no progress, then the game glitched and I took no damage from his attacks.
I don't think I could do it even now.
>>
>>332210717
Gotta abuse your newly gained range and laser i-frames. Like the second phase can be completely cheesed with the laser.
>>
File: a.jpg (628 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
628 KB, 1920x1080
>>332194425
I don't remember that part being that bad. Why does no one talk about this part? On nightmare as Hugo you have to kill like 5 of these things, and you do 1hp damage per hit, and they kill you in 3 hits, and if you manage to trap it it still takes like 5 minutes to kill one.
>>
>>332211243
Oh shit, those fuckers. Didn't uncharged thunder magic do the most damage?
>>
>>332211243
They are bugged
Even on hard you do 1 hp of damage
>>
>>332211243

You're doing it wrong.
>>
>>332210717
Wanna know a funny way to cheese him? You can fully dodge his tentacle fall attack with charged godspeed and a few more casts of it. When you return to the arena you'll be invulnerable for enough time to kill any spawned meteors and unleash one or two full combos on him. I never did it, but I assumed it was viable.

Also, can you actually beat his last phase without bursting? The damage you deal to his shield is so fucking small.
>>
>>332211243
You're supposed to use trip mines on them. They deal a lot more damage. You can generally run away while spamming trip mines and they won't be able to catch up.
>>
>>332211243
Those guys are the reason i literally UNINSTALLED the game when playing as hugo.

With yunica i beat the game rather easily, but NO LET'S CREATE THOSE NIGGERS TO FUCK HUGO UP, YEAH

>>332211773
Not true, even with mines they STILL TAKE almost no damage.

It's a shame really, i wanted to play with the wolverine nigga, but to do that, i need to beat the game with both characters, meh
>>
>>332211651
You can but the fight is designed for you to be dodging around looking for an opportunity to use burst on him at that point. You actually do decent damage with jump attacks once the shield is down or if you want to speedrun strat you can attack the orb directly while tanking the damage from his electric penis-tentacle once you burst away the shield. It's risky but it will let you kill him really quickly.
>>
File: WHY.jpg (527 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
WHY.jpg
527 KB, 1680x1050
>>332197867

I forget how much trouble I had with it when I played on Hard or Normal or whatever cause it's been overwritten by how insane Inferno is. I spent so god damn long on just the second boss and then this picture happened and I cried for a while.

I want to get back on that.

I also have yet to beat boss rush in Napishtim cause I insist on doing it on Nightmare Cataclysm mode since that's how i did the main game.

>>332202036

How is the PC version? Are the Chinese ports just straight ports just with higher display resolutions? Is there any way to import the Celceta one?
>>
>>332200579
>they basically look like an episode of Cream Lemon

lel
>>
>>332212064
The lighting is fucked up on the PC version but it runs at 60 FPS. It's not ported very well so the window on flash guarding and dodging is smaller, but that actually makes the game more enjoyable because those were OP in the game originally.

Someone cracked the game and inserted Xseed's translation to it too.
>>
>>332211920
Why are you playing the japanese version? Also you can just do hugo on easy mode and be done with it, his specific bosses are incredibly lame and most fights are just smashing Z non-stop anyway.
>>
>>332212226
I was playing the steam version. Yeah, i think i should do that, just to see the story and unlock the claw.

I think the difficulty was one bellow the hardest one(nightmare? i don't remember).

It's such a shame really, i actually liked to play as hugo, way more than yunica anyway(missiles are way better than her meele attack).
>>
>>332194425
Hi Busterbeam
>>
>>332202036
Also enjoying this on Vita. Character movement and enemy animations feel much faster than Origin so far. I have trouble with the bosses though; coming from a bullet hell background I actually find the older games more manageable than this.
>>
>>332210717
Personally I thought he was one of the three hardest bosses.

Beating him was really rewarding though, and is a good example of difficulty making the story have more impact even when it's not an amazing story.
>>
File: 1456512710400.png (348 KB, 414x588) Image search: [Google]
1456512710400.png
348 KB, 414x588
I didn't have any problem with any of the Ys games, I've beaten all the PC ones on the highest difficulty.

Honestly the hardest boss in the entire series for me was Nightmare Majunun from Ys VI because he was a cheap bastard clearly made to fuck with the player and no amount of leveling will even the playing field. Dark Fact in Ys I is also annoying on Nightmare, he's the only boss in the game I'm convinced is impossible to beat first try unless you know about him beforehand. I didn't and it took several tries because of his gimmick. He has a clear pattern but it's annoying nonetheless.

Origin was a mild challenge for me, I don't recall any boss in the entire game for any of the 3 characters that really pushed me to the limit. I thought Oath in Felghana was much harder in comparison, especially the pig and the master.
>>
>>332213113
You actually move a lot slower in Celceta though.
>>
>>332213791
Maybe I was tricked by the continuous dodge and the more zoomed in camera.
>>
>>332212648
Then why haven't you unlocked claw man yet? You should have him unlocked only by finishing it with Yunica.
>>
>>332214057
You can zoom the camera out with the right thumbstick on PC or by dragging two fingers apart on the screen on Vita.
>>
>>332214216
What the FUCK
>>
File: 1418555427684.jpg (58 KB, 762x388) Image search: [Google]
1418555427684.jpg
58 KB, 762x388
>>332214197
I wanted to finished the game with hugo first, but then i raged hard at the little sand fuckers and uninstalled.
>>
>>332214216
Holy shit you're right.

>>332214462
Don't blame you. Worst part is when you realise you have to kill them more time to fill the bestiary.
They don't appear in the claw's storyline at all.
>>
>>332211243
you can bug the pathing on those mobs on some ledges, like the corners at the top of the stairs in that pic. makes that section more bearable.
>>
>>332202036
Where'd you manage to find a download for the game?
>>
Oath in Felghana was ridicolously hard compared to Origin, I rage quit on the second dungeon.
Just reinstalled, could I get a few pointers on how not to get fucked before I reach a savepoint every single time I try playing this game?
Should I clear out all enemies, or avoid most of them and then grind later?
>>
>>332215215
Did you go back and buy the armor from the shop?
>>
File: jagi1.png (246 KB, 439x439) Image search: [Google]
jagi1.png
246 KB, 439x439
>>332212756
that post was too edgy for twittter
>>
>>332215215
Kill everything you meet and you should be at a decent level for the boss
>>
>>332194425
I just want to say, I really like how Origins references I-II and how self-aware it becomes with certain parts of the storyline.

>first boss is one of the most infamous Ys boss ever
>he gains the ability to dupe himself

Honestly the difficulty pales in comparison, but it sent chills down my spine when it first happened.
>>
>>332215215
Most importantly: Always keep your gear up to date. Always.

Secondly. Kill everything you meet or find an easy room of enemies and grind those. There are a lot of annoying enemies in Oath that I never bothered with it, especially on the mountain. I just skip them and find better enemies to grind out.
>>
>>332215397
I did, but in the current dungeon I haven't gotten far enough to find any pieces of ore yet, without dying before I can go back to spend them
>>
File: ysc 2016-03-26 17-55-01-77.jpg (131 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
ysc 2016-03-26 17-55-01-77.jpg
131 KB, 1600x900
>>332212064
Port is okay. It lacks shaders compared to the Vita version. Also the window for Flash guard became smaller. 60 FPS makes up for it imo

>>332215127
https://mega.nz/#F!HssCDDYZ!QLkmrL0kMhndI3i7fYzIQA
Follow the readme
>>
>>332215773
Is Flash Dodge also affected?
>>
File: jagi2.png (20 KB, 140x132) Image search: [Google]
jagi2.png
20 KB, 140x132
>>332215450
I only had a lot of trouble with him in Ys I becauser I used a BULLSHIT walkthrough that said "attack him in the split second after he opens his wings and before he closes them", which was insane and impossible. So I spent eons trying to beat him that way. Whoever write that guide is an asshole.

I started Origin on Nightmare (then switched back to hard) and he was pretty damn hard but a very well-designed boss because, with Yunica at least, that battle pretty much forces you to have mastered everything you learned up to that point. For example I realized bunny-hopping away from the bat swarms is more efficient than simply running.

In Ys I actually had more trouble with the floating head dudes, so much that I had to switch the speed to easy (since I was playing the PC-Engine version). I wonder if anyone was actually autistic enough to get past that on fast mode without being over-leveled and if so, if they uploaded a Youtube video of it.
>>
>>332215996
Yeah
>>
>>332216274
It's funny because even with Zava helping those three are some of the easiest bosses in the whole game.
>>
>>332215773

I ain't a fan of the text. Did they have to use full width text or something?

I hope XSEED starts doing full on ports that blow those Chinese ones out of the water. If they could do things like backport features and even make new ones I'm sure they could handle it. I feel like I heard somewhere they actually have ported or are currently porting something to PC. I think it was Little King's Story.

Ao No Kiseki PC port please.
>>
File: wp_200704spring_04s_zpsc085d4e4.jpg (138 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
wp_200704spring_04s_zpsc085d4e4.jpg
138 KB, 800x600
>>332216274
>>332216274
Oh yeah and for a bizarre contrast, the fight involving the head dudes and whatshername in Origin was... shockingly pretty straightforward and easy, once again with Yunica on Hard.

Kishgal fight was pretty ironic since the entire cutscene before it was about becoming powerful by going mad with bloodlust (Kishgal) vs acknowledging your weaknesses and learning from them (Yunica), since and the way I won was pretty much avoiding any conscious decisions and just going by pure gut instinct.
>>
>>332198027
I agree with this. I&II had an unique charm that the rest of the Ys games don't have. I don't think they're objectively better, but something about them is more substantial than the rest. Also they have the best OST.
>>
>>332204992
>>332207870
"Dated" when used properly essentially means that if someone made a modern remake of a dated game, there are some concepts or gameplay elements that were discovered / invented that could be added or changed in the modern version of the game.

Dated doesn't mean bad, and it definitely is overused.

Like he said, mouse aiming is a good example: Doom is dated because it does not have (vertical) mouse aiming, which is great, and something all proper shooters have had for a long time. A modern, true sequel of Doom should have mouse aiming.

Doom being dated doesn't make it a bad game (it's great). However, some people claim its level design is dated, which is an example of a bad application of the term.

Some people use "dated" to mean "old/hasn't been done in a while therefore it's bad", and those people are just fucking stupid.
>>
>>332215773

Has anyone had any issues with Comcast sending shit for downloading this? I want to play the game but I'm a paranoid person about pirating shit
>>
>>332195131
get very low hp, go demon mode every time you have to kill one of those, took me some minutes to figure out
>>
File: ysorigin-06.jpg (99 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ysorigin-06.jpg
99 KB, 800x600
>>332216605
>>332216936
Whoops.

The heads were kinda funny since attempting real facial animation REALLY showed the limitations of Falcom's 3D animators. Despite that the games manage to have a really great feel anyway (every enemy exploding into gory chunks helps).
>>
>>332217463
The only models in origins that are really bad are Dalles's and Pictimos's. The others are quite okay I think.
>>
>>332217632
I thought both of those models were fine. I'm talking about the way the heads moved; it was really silly.
>>
>>332197084

I think the issue is that most people don't realize you can stun the boss at certain periods, not beyond his flatly vulnerable phase.

So they end up brute-forcing the entire fight and have to use the phoenix magic over and over again in straight lines to kill the eyes while shit goes fucking everywhere.
>>
Is this the Falcom thread?

I just started Cold Steel and in the first dungeon my group of six people immediately decide it would be best to split into groups of less than four so that they fit into the party UI.
Five minutes later we decide it would be best to find the other party again because we were separated.

Falcom sucks at explaining why you can't have more than four people in a party and I wish they wouldn't keep trying to explain it. Like, sorry Tita I know you're the fifth person here but our group would just be too big with you, go sit in the guild for a day and do nothing instead.

That's all I have to say.
>>
>>332217383
It's mega link I really doubt anything will happen
>>
>>332218268
That's pretty much how you have to beat it with Toal. Boost and stun the head, then go to town on the eyes.
>>
>>332218268
>I think the issue is that most people don't realize you can stun the boss at certain periods, not beyond his flatly vulnerable phase.
I... honestly had no idea either, fuck.

I brute forced it and found it challenging, but never thought "I want to go back and grind for hours and hours".
>>
>>332218268
A bigger thing is when you realise his blind spots.

For instance, during his long shockwave attack where he hits left and right, if you hug either side of his body, you can unleash 2 full combos without getting hit and usually either stun him or get him extremely close to it.
>>
>>332218728
You're better off using the boost for the eyes instead of the main body
>>
File: raystorm2.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
raystorm2.jpg
159 KB, 1280x720
>>332207870
>>332217245
>>332204992
There are two uses for "dated"; one is stuff that just doesn't work as well by today's standards because of technological limitations (for example most blocky old 3D games feel "dated" or "badly aged" graphically now, at least the ones that didn't turn blockiness into an art style). The mouse control for shooters thing is also valid.

There is another use that basically means "I can tell when this was made and somehow this is a bad thing", used more for things like music and animation/comics than games. For example, a retarded user review of the Akira manga saying the art is "good for its time" and "dated" not explaining why (because you really can't, drawing skill doesn't evolve like video game graphics and Otomo shits all over most modern artists in terms of technique; the only "dated" aspect is that you can tell it was drawn in the 80s)

Sometimes it is used in game reviews when a journo who hates his job is butthurt at getting his ass kicked by a retro remake/retro-style game. For example, a professional (as in, reviewer-as-job) reviewer saying the gameplay of Raysyorm in the Xbox port is is "dated" compared to "modern, correctly designed" shmup Ikaruga because he couldn't pay attention to both the lock-on system and the normal shots at the same time and thus the mechanics were "antiquated". This is the most retarded use, somehow worse than the last.
>>
>>332218384

Yeah that sort of stuff always feels a bit awkward. I wish they would at least have them do something that's not sitting in the guild. The only people that makes sense for are Schera, Zane, and Agate since they're bracers.

>Tita, go help your grandpa or the local orbment shop
>Kloe, go do some homework or princess shit
>Kevin, go convert some heathens
>Olivier, go drink alone and cry.

I wonder how that works in Zero/Ao. I've only played FC and SC.

I'm also playing Nayuta no Kiseki right now if that even counts. My one other "party member" seems to just come out for the dialogue bits. On the world map there's an icon with his face so I wonder if that means anything gameplay-wise. I don't count Noi as a party member since she's pretty much just the magic button.
>>
>>332215773
Any problems with the game so far? Is this the same translation patch from that reddit user?
>>
File: Game Reviews.jpg (573 KB, 1326x1075) Image search: [Google]
Game Reviews.jpg
573 KB, 1326x1075
>>332219942

Did someone say shitty game reviews?
>>
>>332220207
Was waiting for it. Thank you.
>>
>>332218384
I'm surprised you have the energy to be upset about that and not the stupid bullshit with Alisa.
>>
File: fuck you.jpg (3 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.jpg
3 KB, 64x64
>>332220207
Haha, holy shit.

There are also the multiple Ys I & II reviews that make it obvious the writer didn't even touch Ys II because he whines about how "you have no ranged attack in these games, you just bump into enemies, 1/10 worst shit ever".

I stopped paying attention to reviewers-as-a-job long ago; actually, I tend to take user reviews with a grain of salt too since a flood of negative reviews can come from a specific community deciding to "make a point" while a flood of positive ones can come from fanboys doing the same. These days I just make up my own mind, even genuienly following the "pirate before you buy" mantra for some games (though Steam having the return thing is nice).

My actual issue with the achievements though is that the art for them is hideous and obviously drawn by some Deviantart-tier hack who worked their way into the job through nepotism. Also, faggy-ass memes.
>>
>>332220876
Why would I be upset that the tsundere is being tsundere after an anime cliche happened in this high school anime?
>>
>>332220876
I was actually glad he was upset about the gameplay instead of stupid shit like characters to be honest. People like that are rare these days.
>>
>>332220987
The icons were all drawn by one of the editors because they don't actually have an artist. That's why SC doesn't have drawn icons, the editor was busy on another project.
>>
>>332221139
He was specifically complaining about the story though.
>>332220992
I dunno, I was a bit disappointed when I realized all the bullshit about this still being a Kiseki game wasn't true and it was obvious the game was going to be shit from that point on.
>>
>>332220987
>I tend to take user reviews with a grain of salt too since a flood of negative reviews can come from a specific community deciding to "make a point"

I remember a few years back when something came out, I want to say DmC, and there were literal threads here on /v/ getting people to flood metacritic user reviews with 1s or 0s or whatever. Then two days later, sure enough, there were threads about how the user review aggregate was in the toilet. Now, I didn't play the game and acknowledge it was probably terrible, but that's still some retarded circular logic.
>>
I haven't played Oath of Felghana since it came out on Steam.

Should I try it again on Nightmare, or am I in for a world of hurt?
>>
>>332221283
Pretty sure Kiseki started going downhill from game one with the mandatory hot spring sequence.
It's an anime ass series.
>>
>>332221539
If you're not used to the game or know what to do then its going to be a rough challenge.
>>
>>332221539
It's Oath, it doesn't matter what difficulty you play, you're in for a world of hurt.

That game's normal is like Origin's Nightmare.
>>
>>332221753
You might have that opinion if you're retarded or never played the games, sure.
>>332221854
If you've played nightmare in Origin you're probably prepared for it. Nightmare in Origin is a bit harder than hard in Felghana.
>>
>>332221762
I cleared it on normal when it came out, and the only boss that I think was particularly difficult was the fucking lame ass bird on the mountain top.
>>
>>332221493
To be fair I was one of the people calling it shit... but I didn't write a review, and I actually defended it at first because I was hoping Capcom would be in charge of the gameplay. I just decided it's not worth it after extensively researching its gameplay.

But yeah, when /v/ raids a Metacritic page and it's like 3.0 or something it's really obvious. So these days if I can, I just try the game myself.
>>
>>332221493
Well I don't mean to be a faggot, but the PS3/360/PC version of the game is garbage. 1 is a little low but 3 or 4 is right where it should be.

The enhanced version for PS4/bone is actually semi-decent but the game is still barely a 5 or 6 like that.
>>
>>332222060
I love the series, I'm not shitting on it in any way, but if you think Trails in the Sky isn't cliched and anime as fuck you're insane.

Prime example in SC when Weismann invites Estelle to come talk to him so that he can answer all her questions. Estelle arrives. "Oh excuse me, I wasn't expecting you so I was just practicing playing my giant organ not that I'm an evil mastermind or anything."
He then proceeds to answer not a single question.
>>
>>332222060
Nightmare mode with Yunica was my first run in the game and I thought it was laughably easy compared to my first Nightmare Oath run.
>>
>>332222497
Yeah, nightmare in Oath is a lot harder than nightmare in Origin, but nightmare in Origin is still a bit harder than hard mode in Felghana.
>>332222441
There's a difference between a classic cliche like the sophisticated villain and trashy anime cliches like the generic tsundere holding a grudge. Weissman enjoying the organ might be cliche but it's not unbelievable. A girl holding a grudge for almost a month because of something she knows is an accident is ridiculous, especially when she then apologizes for it and goes back to her bitchy ways immediately afterwards. It doesn't help that she's generally a terrible and unlikable character overall while Weissman is charismatic and an enjoyable villain.
>>
If we're going to have Trails talk I might as well ask, aside from the music, what do people dislike about the Evolution versions? I've been thinking of importing them once I feel my Japanese is good enough to not have to rely as much on a dictionary as I am now going through Nayuta. Isn't there an option to switch the music back anyway or am I mistaken?

>>332220987

The only reviews I watch much anymore are ones like Matthew Matosis who goes super fucking in depth and only for games I've already played. There's also some people like Super Bunnyhop where I know enough about their tastes to get something out of their review even if my tastes differ.

I've also taken to trying things myself rather than trusting negative reviews (with exceptions if it's for extremely clear reasons like Drake of the 99 Dragons or something). I played FFVII Dirge of Cerberus and quite liked it despite a lot of fans hating it. If I went back and examined the story rather than letting myself be taken for the ride I'd probably see the flaws with it but I had fun flipping around and shooting dudes as Vincent. Probably helped that I was using a mouse and keyboard setup. That game practically feels like a PC game with how customizable the key bindings are and shit. No clue why they didn't release it on PC when they already went that far.

>>332221753
>>332222441

Ain't nothing wrong with having tropes. I think it does them well honestly. Although there are a few bits where it gets a bit much like Schera wanting really bad to catch the bouquet in SC. Felt really out of character cause she didn't strike me as someone who would want to get married and settle down at all.

As for Weismann, I kind of love it because he's so stereotypical evil.
>>
>>332195763
Nightmare mode anyone isn't even a nightmare in the sense of difficulty, its nightmare in the sense of grind.

Its physically impossible to beat the last boss without overleveling in nightmare mode - all crystals dropped by enemies is worth 1 no matter what the size is, so you will never, ever have enough to get the speed boost at the bottom of the list to actually be able to dodge his vacuum attacks during phase 2

Real challenge is hard difficulty and trying to no dmg run the bosses since its actually possible without sinking 40 hrs of grinding, nightmare is for the masochistic power leveler that wants Yunica in a schoolgirl outfit after they do that nightmare shit 2 more times with the other characters along with some other crap.
>>
>>332223202
>Its physically impossible to beat the last boss without overleveling in nightmare mode
git gud
>>
I played Oath twice and missed the ruby both times fuck you all that reviewer is a faggot but I don't hold it against anyone to miss that.

I quit my Toal run because that trap room is so retarded. I just downloaded a full save and play boss rush. And these bosses are King niggers. But in the usually good sense.

Still gotta beat Ys 7. Great series. Better than Souls and harder too.
>>
File: games.png (929 KB, 900x665) Image search: [Google]
games.png
929 KB, 900x665
>>332215773
Awesome, now just need Ys VII and a PC version of Ys V.
>>
File: Adol.Christin.full.138315.jpg (2 MB, 2000x3116) Image search: [Google]
Adol.Christin.full.138315.jpg
2 MB, 2000x3116
>>332223038
Oh yeah I like the Youtube game analyst guys but Bunny Hop is very hit-and-miss to me. Sometimes spot on, sometimes "hell no".

Campster started off great, but his Sunset video was too much disingenuous pandering. The entire final stretch was painful but what REALLY got to me was him completely ignoring that Tale of Tales are some of the most privileged devs on Earth with a high position in the clique who just can't make games that appeal to human beings; meanwhile good Japanese indie devs or just smaller studios are dying in obscurity despite being great because they can't ass-kiss for attention. Instead he said that we need to "stop judging indie game quality by sales". So if not that, then WHAT? Clique approval? Because that's the only reason you even care about that game you fat bearded fuck. At that point I just thought "get fucked you asshole".

I tend to like the /v/-spawn game analysis guys, except Vaatividya who from what I gather is a paid From Software shill now. I got into the Yakuza games through HyperBitHero's videos and I don't regret it, and I'm really happy that there's a guy out there giving "Vergil stealing Dante's weapon by killing the boss and you having to fight him to get it back" as "video games doing something unique as an artistic medium".

Brutalcumpowder's unironic videos would be god-tier at analysis if he wasn't too young to have proper game experience; he took Undertale as some glorious masterpiece then INSTANTLY changed his mind when he emulated Earthbound (he's like... 20 or 19 based on his podcast, I'd assume the average /v/irgin is younger than me now). I stalked his Steam and I see he played a bit of Ys I but never touched origin, might tweet at him about it.

Or hell, I've considered getting into Youtube videos. Depending on how deep I get into this shit I might do individual reviews or a huge Ys retrospective. The Darius series too. HOPE I WON'T SUCK.
>>
File: jazzy boss music intensifies.png (15 KB, 460x81) Image search: [Google]
jazzy boss music intensifies.png
15 KB, 460x81
Fortunately it has been long enough for my brain to have blocked out the more traumatic parts of this.

But for some reason the Jenocres fight still sits with me.

Those guys at Falcom are real assholes.
>>
>I haven't bothered with Hugo because he makes my fingers hurt
Same here.
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-08+at+03.20.42).jpg (141 KB, 340x726) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-08+at+03.20.42).jpg
141 KB, 340x726
So who did Hugo and Toal dick after the events of Origin to have Dark Fact and Keith appear later in the timeline?
>>
>>332198027
I+II >=Oath in Felghana > rest
>>
>>332220119
I haven't had any problems but I heard from another anon that he got stuck in a cutscene and the boss won't appear
>>
>>332223038
for me, the quality (not resolution since this image is taken from older PC version before Steam release) of the portraits. While voice adds to the emotion tremendously, some of the faces just lacks the charm compared to the expressive portrait in the vanilla game.
>>
>>332194425
Are masochists the only people who play Ys?
>>
>>332225461

That's fair. Although, I should have mentioned that I'm thinking about the Zero and Ao ports rather than the FC/SC/3rd ones cause those will take the longest to ever be translated. They seemed to have gotten a different artist for those two anyway.
>>
>>332198027
I could not more strongly disagree with your opinion. Oath and Origins are some of the most satisfying and rewarding action RPGs I've ever played. I & II do have a charm but bumper cars wears thin quickly.
>>
>>332224784
You got two ranged options on either fight. If they were assholes they'd have put you to fight him with Toal.

That one formation where you pretty much aren't able to stay in the middle of the room is complete bullshit though.
>>
File: 2015-08-26-193147.jpg (127 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-26-193147.jpg
127 KB, 960x544
>>332225756
my main complaint is the music, other wise Zero and Ao Evo are spot on.
If only they let me swap in original PSP OST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxds6IDKRt8
Sounds less climatic than
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lkaTGNE5ds
Especially since SAV is played once and only once against that one guy in Ao, whereas vanilla/ Evo mix is played multiple times through out Zero and Ao against end of chapter bosses like that chinese slut assassin and bara bear Zephr man
>>
>>332198027
Origins and Oath are fun action rpgs with excellent boss fights.
>>
>>332225790
Most don't have a PSP for it but Ys 7 is nearly as good.
>>
>>332225182
When's the next Falcom Academy manga update? Its been weeks since the last one :(
>>
>>332226504
It takes longer now because every chapter is twice as long.
>>
>>332226389
Oh hey, I actually have one of those, I'll see how that is. Thanks for the heads-up.
>>
>>332226794
I see. I cant wait till they cover Ys Origin and Gurumin
>>
I'm trying to get AA working in Celceta and it's a no-go. I guess I expected too much for a chinese port, the jaggies hurt my eyes.
>>
File: Capture.png (74 KB, 808x550) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
74 KB, 808x550
>>332215773
Anyone else having trouble with the configurator? It keeps crashing for me.
>>
>>332227434
Are you able to run the config without any problems?
>>
>>332227434
AMD or Nvidia? Program like Nvidia Inspector/whatever AMD cards use or just control panel?

What system region are you one?
>>
File: ysc 2016-03-27 19-31-48-598.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ysc 2016-03-27 19-31-48-598.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>332227434
Update: GeDoSaTo works like a charm, better than nothing.

>>332229019
>>332229152
AMD. I was trying to force it in the CCC and RadeonPro but no luck. The config works just fine. I tried changing it in the config file but it does nothing too. I'm on US region.
>>
>>332225182
Toal some random bitches in Ys

Hugo either link's horse or his childhood friend. Chances are that neither.
>>
>>332229532
>The config works just fine
shit just me then.
Im gonna uninstall this shit and extract the rar again. Maybe its the way I patched it
>>
>>332229834
The patch file was finicky for me. I had to redownload it twice because I kept getting errors. So yeah I would just patch again.
>>
>>332229814
>tfw playing the whole thing knowing Toal could never be with his waifu

Saddest plot.
>>
>>332229945
You too huh? Cheers gonna try this
>>
>>332229532
Those graphics are pretty shit but I guess that's a Vita port for you.
>>
File: Here comes dark fact.jpg (120 KB, 361x430) Image search: [Google]
Here comes dark fact.jpg
120 KB, 361x430
>>332229814
>Hugo either link's horse or his childhood friend.

I thought it was pretty obvious that he banged the shit out of Epona.
>>
>>332230071
If you have problems then dump each individual folder into the same folder in the directory one folder at a time. Windows file replacing can be junkie sometimes.
>>
File: Untitled.png (46 KB, 496x323) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
46 KB, 496x323
>>332230705
Yeah whenever I try to dump them all it gives me this error so I'll do em individually
>>
File: cute anime face 2.png (654 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
cute anime face 2.png
654 KB, 720x480
>>332230874
Hi Dave.
>>
>>332230874
David-kun pls
>>
>>332215773
Didn't know this port was a thing. Played all games released on steam recently and I had an itch for more.

Game is working fine so far. Can't believe Adol is voiced by Yuki Kaji.
>>
>>332230308
She might have returned to Napishtim or wherever she's from, to never meet again.

Something that I've always been curious about is how come everyone in Eresia forgot about Ys? 100 years is not nearly enough.
>>
File: download.png (46 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
download.png
46 KB, 256x256
>>332230874
H-hi David...
>>
>>332230045
>Reah turned into a statue
>When she woke up, the man she loved not only was dead, but moved on and had children
>One of his decendants is the cause of pain, death and misfortune, too.
>>
File: easy games.png (107 KB, 637x130) Image search: [Google]
easy games.png
107 KB, 637x130
Well, anon? You have 100%'d the best Ys games, haven't you?
Post em
>>
>>332230093
I played Ys 7 on the Vita TV, in comparison that screenshot looks absolutely gorgeous
>>
File: 1447514740743.jpg (7 KB, 168x150) Image search: [Google]
1447514740743.jpg
7 KB, 168x150
>>332231125
>>332231224
>>332231316
H-Hi anons
>>
>>332232029
I just can't stand leveling to 60 in oath.
>>
>>332232029
>Dark souls

Explain yourself anon.
>>
the right analog stick doesn't seem to work in celceta, hmm
>>
>>332232217
Just beat the nightmare boss rush then spam f2 in a new playthrough and you get the achievement.
>>332232249
I like the souls games but I played Ys before them. They're pretty fun with friends too.
>>
File: cheebos.png (89 KB, 551x121) Image search: [Google]
cheebos.png
89 KB, 551x121
>>332232029
I'm sorry
>>
>>332201662
Wait, Asu he no Houkou was inspired by Releast of the Far West Ocean?
I always thought they were similar, but chalked it up to coincidence.
>>
File: 1422238255630.jpg (36 KB, 500x308) Image search: [Google]
1422238255630.jpg
36 KB, 500x308
>>332232029
>enjoying Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 as well as Ys like a true gaming gentleman
>>
File: 1.png (61 KB, 435x73) Image search: [Google]
1.png
61 KB, 435x73
>>332232029
origins nightmare boss rush packs my shit in
>>
>>332232683
It was probably inspired by Ys VI, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a coincidence. There was that one game where the guy accidentally copied a song from Ys III without realizing it because the song was stuck in his head but he couldn't remember what it was from. There's also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo5bbB25nJM
https://youtu.be/-LHPRbEAxy4?t=23s
Which is almost certainly coincidence
>>
>>332233564
Fuck nightmare boss rush as both Toals and Napishtim Adol. The game makes you severely underpowered for the final boss. All three of those rushes took hours. Not to mention Yunica's boss rush is shitty too. Hugo is easy though as it should be.
>>
File: 2014-04-08_00002.jpg (313 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2014-04-08_00002.jpg
313 KB, 1920x1080
>>332233894
You're high enough level to kill the boss efficiently dude, you can even do it pretty quickly. Especially as Napishtim Adol who is so blatantly overpowered that I don't know how you could have trouble with him.

Pic related was my first attempt at it, I don't know if I ever improved my times.
>>
>>332233894
Naph Adol in Origin is so overpowered its almost comical.
>>
>>332231295
Yuki Kaji.doesn't suit Adol imo
>>
>>332223992
How do i get that layout? That is Steam right?
>>
>>332234391
top right of library, layout options.
>>
>>332234181
I agree but Dalles and Darm just made Napi Adol's rush pure suffering. I'm sure I'm not the only person that had trouble with it either.
>>
File: 1449454110300.jpg (3 MB, 3512x5000) Image search: [Google]
1449454110300.jpg
3 MB, 3512x5000
>>332234391
Post more Karna
>>
>>332234719
I just don't see how you could have trouble with either.
>>
>>332234486
Is there any way to make it sort by most played? Sorry I don't use steam often and can't find on search engines. I don't want to make some needless folders.
>>
File: karna.jpg (265 KB, 800x769) Image search: [Google]
karna.jpg
265 KB, 800x769
>>332234782
Sadly there isn't much
>>
>>332234927
No prob, I don't think there is a way for that.
>>
>>332234912
The big reason is that you can't use any of the three sword magics without stopping and being vulnerable. Dalles' third phase requires lots of luck because you can't attack without getting sucker punched one of the turret's slowdown shots. And for Darm, I didn't have too much trouble but found that having low mobility compared to Toal made it difficult. I still beat the rush eventually anyway.
>>
>>332229532
If GeDoSaTo works then SweetFX should work too.
>>
Why did so many want Hugo's dick?

>Epona
>Miuscha
>a lot of Roos
>>
File: ysc 2016-03-27 21-01-18-087.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ysc 2016-03-27 21-01-18-087.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>332236141
All the post processing seems to work fine.
>>
>>332236350
Hugo's a handsome guy.
>>
Honest question how does hard/nightmare in origin/oath compare to the souls games & bloodborne

I haven't played any of the from software stuff at all
>>
>>332239551
Hard mode in Origin/Oath is significantly harder than any of the Soulsborne games. DS3 might change that but it's too early to tell
>>
>>332239551
I'm asking cuz Dark Souls is considered super hard by some and overrated difficulty-wise by others

and now I'm seeing Vaatividya shilling a Dark Souls book by a pink haired Kotaku person + my super-liberal non-gamer music reviewer friend who normally doesn't play anything like this got really really into Dark souls

so on one hand I really want to play these From games one day, on the other hand I do wonder how much of the touted difficulty is actually that high
>>
>>332239551
It is somewhat easier and has more ways to cheese and/or grind if you're stuck, since Ys makes it almost impossible to level up after certain points.

There's no definite level for any area. Also surviving bosses is more about using i-frames than actually dodging so you might have a hard time getting used to timings.
>>
>>332239645
>Hard mode in Origin/Oath is significantly harder than any of the Soulsborne games.
Are you sure you didn't mean Nightmare? Cuz Yunica Hard was really not super hard to me

And no I didn't grind
>>
>>332239915
The Souls games aren't really that difficult, they just punish you more for your mistakes than Ys does
>>
>>332239828
So Souls actually lets you grind more? That's... bizarre.

I dunno what i-frames are
>>
>>332240136
Every enemy in the games gives you the same amount of souls regardless of your level. It becomes more costly to level up as you raise your level but you still accumulate souls just as quickly, so you can just keep saving up souls to spend on leveling up. You can also grind for upgrade materials for your weapons/armor which significantly increases your attack/defense.
>>
>>332240136
>>332239828
oh right it's probably invincibility frames

god i'm tired
>>
>>332240136
You know how some skills in Ys have a Guard property letting you take any hits and no damage? Well, in dark souls instead of skills your character can roll/sidestep and during part of that animation you can't be damaged.
With few exceptions, you don't even need to use guard skills for most bosses in Ys and instead walk away from their hitboxes. In souls games the best ways to beat a boss , with some exceptions again, are either to i-frame into their attacks so you get close and punish them (I think i-framing Artorias and Quelaag in the first are the best examples of how it eases them) or using a very good defensively shield.

Your grind options are bigger too, you can grind for spells (imagine something with Hugo's range but that hits just as hard or harder than melee attacks). Grind for gear upgrades, grind for levels, etc. Perfectly doable not to grind, but getting ten aditional levels in an area can take around an hour at worse depending on which point of the game you are. You can also grind healing items in almost every game of the series.
By the way, about health, you do die faster than Ys, but you can heal and your effective hp through healing items should be significantly higher than Ys, so fights are also about looking for safe spots to do the somewhat long healing animation.
>>
>>332240935
Souls feels like a regen health game at times with that healing pace. Most normal enemies can kill you in a little over one combo (two will outright kill you inescapably if you let them gang up on you.) And most bosses hit for 90% damage in a hit or combo so you are avoiding damage and trying to find time to heal when you do take it.

Ys, you have one health bar, that's it. You can take more damage but you gotta make it last.
>>
>>332241461
None of that is true unless you're not leveling vitality or upgrading armor. You can tank hits even with shitty armor if it's upgraded. Not to mention you have poise to avoid being comboed.
>>
>>332241461
That's true for later playthroughs, most lone enemies will leave you enough room for easy healing rather frequently, problem arises when you take on many.

You can improve your defenses and armor against certain types of damage, but in the end of the day, the defference is of about 1 hit at best except against the canon fodder enemies. And it becomes completly irrelevant outside of your shield when you reach new game plus, after that you're better of picking a cool looking lighter set and rolling away.

Shieldless fat roll playthroughs are very thrilling though.
>>
>>332241743
Leveling Vit and upgrading armor is what takes it from 100% down to 80-90% damage.
>>
>>332242717
Not at all. Even not leveling vit and barely leveling armor enemies won't start to kill you in one hit until the Lord Soul areas. Even the enemies in Anor Londo won't be able to kill you instantly. Only certain boss attacks like O&S' lightning farts will.
>>
>>332243074
You can survive those too if you have enough humanity as well.
>>
>>332243074
Well, I was talking the late game areas/bosses. The only tough bits before O&S are the capra demon beating you down before you get a rhythm. Pacing in the rest of the games is pretty similar with the regain mechanic being varyingly useful in BB.

90% is indeed overselling it but you're looking at 50-60% damage if you take a hit from any enemy that isn't pure popcorn. I've never pulled armor that did me better than that or allowed me to negate any sort of combo gankery. Even Havel's feels like paper mache almost before the game is done, and doubly on NG+.
>>
>>332244360
>90% is indeed overselling it but you're looking at 50-60% damage if you take a hit from any enemy that isn't pure popcorn
If you don't level Vit, sure. Even in BB I was only taking 50-60% from bosses' strongest attacks.
>I've never pulled armor that did me better than that
Armor is only useful in DS1. In the rest of the games it's useless.
>Even Havel's feels like paper mache almost before the game is done, and doubly on NG+.
You can walk through everything the 4kids do with Havel's armor like it's nothing. It's only NG+ where armor is worthless in DS1 (and NG+ is irrelevant anyway).
>>
Can you give the link to the Celceta PC version again please?
>>
>>332244606
>NG+ is irrelevant anyway
I like your style.

>Armor is only useful in DS1.
Fair enough. DS1 is my least recent replay.
>>
>>332244985
https://mega.nz/#F!HssCDDYZ!QLkmrL0kMhndI3i7fYzIQA
>>
>>332232029
No, I'm a lazy fuck and haven't really played Xseed's releases since I've played them in Japanese so much anyway.

Maybe one day
>>
Toal's nightmare run only destroyed me when I got to the final boss.

Doing 1 damage to that wind shield... it's fucking nigh impossible, I tell you.
>>
>>332247428
If you use Burst it damages the orb through the shield and breaks the shield.
>>
>>332247652
Thanks nigga. Knew I had to be doing something wrong.
>>
>>332244606
Also I was about to use DS2 as an example but my DS2 run is in Covenant of Bullshit and my earlier DS2 runs weren't nearly as bad.

I need a drink.
>>
>mountain in Felghana
>spend half an hour without a save point to get killed by some fucking crab with bubbles at near full health
>try again
>get fucking killed by a spike pit in a game that always allowed you to fall whenever
HOW THE FUCK I was supposed to not fall without being lucky or a guide? Fuck you Ys.
>>
>>332248220
You could have just double jumped when you saw the spikes.
>>
>>332248462
I should have, I was so flabbergasted and amazed by the dickish design when I saw that I just died right there.
>>
>>332247652
[spoilers]He's probably talking about Dalles's wind shield in second phase. Didn't see the final boss[/spoilers]
>>
>>332248950
Dang, I knew I shouldn't try spoilering when sleep deprived
Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 52

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.