[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In retrospect, was it really so bad? Sure, the cutscenes last
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: MGS4_European_Cover.jpg (39 KB, 450x518) Image search: [Google]
MGS4_European_Cover.jpg
39 KB, 450x518
In retrospect, was it really so bad? Sure, the cutscenes last forever, but that's better than a barebones story like MGSV, and its bosses are, with the exception of Raging Raven, pretty good.
>>
the first time I played it I liked it a lot, the second time I couldn't finish it, a cutscene every 5 minutes was too much
>>
>>332188514

It was fucking awful.

The first 1/4 of the game (roughly) was decent, but not great, and then it went to complete shit and only got worse.

Not to mention there's more cutscenes than actual fucking gameplay.
>>
>>332188514
It was never bad.
Some whiny bitches just didn't like the way they FIXED MGS2's plot and annoying MC, and then masked their loathing with the "lol movie" arguments. Which is extra silly, seeing how MGS2 had almost exact same cutscene:gameplay -ratio as 4, where as you spent most of your time in the fucking Codec in #2.

Gameplay-wise MGS4 is still at the very top of the entire series, and if you got enough discipline to go for nonlethal stealth, there's surprising amount of options and routes to utilize in the game's maps. Visuals are still great, and the story is obviously one huge fanservice-filled swansong.
>>
>>332188761
GZ and 3 have better gameplay than 4. The controls in 4 are hot garbage.

Also no one wants to play as geriatric Snake.

Shit game. Swan song, more like Anus Song.
>>
I think it's the second best GAME in the series after 3. 2 and 1 have mediocre gameplay but good stories. 3 has a good story and great gameplay. 4 has great gameplay and an interesting and fun story if you're a fan of the series.
>>
>3, 1, and Peace Walker are the only good ones.

And you know it.
>>
>>332189081
>The controls in 4 are hot garbage.
opinion discarded.
MGS4's proper dual-stick controls, decent aiming, and introduction of crouch-walk make it a highly enjoyable to play.

Talking about a sequel made 7 years later, which btw utilizes MGS4's basic control scheme, is quite silly as well.

>Also no one wants to play as geriatric Snake.
I had no problems with it.
>>
It had the best MGO.
>>
Great game well received by critics and the normal folk alike.

/v/ only started hating it recently to be contrarian.
>>
>>332188514
LIQUIIIIIDDDDDDDD
>>
File: 14691473689.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
14691473689.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>332189321
>3 had great gameplay
>>
>>332188514
I really loved the story, there were a few stupid cringey parts. But overall it was compelling and dramatic. I also loved the gameplay it was a great culmination of all the previous titles with way more action.

That being said. I did not find it very fun. You basically play these little sections just to move on to the next cutscene. The stealth seemed less important/more difficult to accomplish. They give you this insane list of guns, but it's a stealth game, what am I gonna need these 20+ assault rifles for? It was very inconsistent with the gameplay, one part you are sneaking through wartorn city, next level youre following footprints, next level you're tracking the slowest man alive.

I loved every second of it, but I will probably never play this game again. At least MGSV can be fun to play.
>>
The game itself is harmless, but it represents the cumnation of the overly-narrative-based design that MGS has always used.

It's been echoed a thousand times.
Story. Can't. Hold. Up. A. Game.
It's great if the game is already great, but any less and it doesn't act as a proper filler.

MGSV finally rectified this.
>>
Its all fanservice. Long, gratuitous fanservice.
>>
>>332188514
>the cutscenes last forever, but that's better than a barebones story like MGSV

Is it really, though? I mean, it's not like the Story in MGS 4 was actually good. If it was the long cutscenes might have been justified but if I had to decide between a game with a bad story and few cutscenes and one with a bad story and a lot of cutscenes I'd take the one with few cutscenes.
>>
>>332188514
>better than barebones story

Lol no it isnt. 4 may be interesting the first time, bit after that theres no replayability. You have a bunch of gadgets to mess with, but so much of the content is tied to the cutscenes it feels like a shell of a game if you skip them
>>
Any chance this will ever port? I want to play the series without buying a PS3 but it seems like that will never happen.
>>
Just because MGS4 is everything MGSV isn't doesn't make MGS4 good.
>>
>>332188761
lol you are such a pleb
>>
>>332189418
>peace walker
>good
LOL
>>
I liked it. I don't regret buying a PS3 just for this.
>>
File: Metal Gear Solid 4 - UMD Movie.jpg (306 KB, 1245x1000) Image search: [Google]
Metal Gear Solid 4 - UMD Movie.jpg
306 KB, 1245x1000
I enjoyed the PSP port.
>>
>>332188514
>In retrospect, was it really so bad?

yup. definitely worse than MGSV

at least the ending cutscene and Ocelot fight was cool
>>
>>332191043
you mean liking it recently, you fucking newfag scumbag piece of filth
>>
>>332192232

It'll probably hit PlayStation Now for PS4 if it hasn't already, but that's the closest you're ever going to get.
>>
>>332189418
Peace Walker was shit, and not just because it made PO non canon.
>>
>>332191585
5 went too far in the other direction, which is why it's already being forgotten about.
>>
It's not a good game.
It's all story and no substance.

Cutscenes don't make a good game.
Story doesn't make a good game.
I'm not going to give this one a pass just because it's MGS
>>
>MGS4 is all story
and the best part is, that story happens to be hot steaming garbage.

MGS3 is the last MGS game.
>>
>>332192927
PW and V were realeased after 3 though...
>>
>>332192676
This. Hate that Kojima more or less let the fans push him to do things so radically different. He should've understood their concerns but not completely change what he does because of it. From too much to too little
>>
>>332188761
agreed

the game still holds up in the gameplay department, so much so, that I favor its overal mechanics over V's

V made guns sound like literal pea shooters for some weird reason
>>
>>332192676
>5 went too far in the other direction
It doesn't matter. It's a video game, not a movie.
The only real problem with 5 is its invasive microtransactions and how repetative the missions get.
It's an infinitely better game than 4 and a light in the darkness that is the modern AAA industry where everything is overly cinematic.
Shit is infesting everything.
Even fucking Halo. I can't fucking believe whenever Halo comes into discussion people start dissing 5 for its story as if the story has ever been the reason to play and enjoy the campaigns.
Guardians could have the best story in the franchise and it would still have a horrible campaign due to the way it plays.
>>
>>332193171
5 plays great though

Also best mp
>>
ZOOM INS
EPIC MUSIC
...what do you mean the dialog has to be good and the story has to make sense?
>>
>>332193043
>This
No, not this.

It's a fucking video game.
If you're playing it for the story, then you're playing it for the wrong reason.
Story has zero replay value, and that's the most important aspect of a Game.
>>
I liked all the MGS games and there's nothing you can do about it.
>MGS1 is the ultimate 80s action movie
>MGS2 is 3deep5you
>MGS3 has some fucking amazing stealth mechanics
>MGS4 was a glorious, fan service riddled, feels-driven movie with some good action shooter sequences
>I had a fuckton of fun building mother base in Peace Walker fuck looking for Zadornov tho
>I almost shed a tear with the ending of Ground Zeroes
>The Phantom Pain was a PERFECT game till the end of episode 1. Then almost everything went to shit with promises that never happened and a lot of broken story parts but the gameplay was so fun i couldn't stop playing
>MGR was RUUUUULES OF NATUUUUUUUUUUUURE

TL;DR great saga i'd play it again
>>
>>332193293
I agree.

I'm saying that it isn't a major flaw that it doesn't care about its story.
>>
>>332193351
>Story can suck if it is from a wanna be movie director
Makes sense. No wonder he preferred to stick to making mediocre games, because he knows he won't ever make it producing mediocre movies.
>>
>>332193496
>No PO
>>
>>332193721
I only played the canon games, sorry. Also i played the HD versions because my psp got busted when i was playing the series as a whole.
Is it good? Should i play it?
>>
>>332193351
>Story has zero replay value, and that's the most important aspect of a Game.
Says who?
I'd argue that good gameplay makes a better game than something with high replay value, even if I can only enjoy it once.
>>
Not as many memes as TPP

>SUCH A LUST
>PUNISHED _______
>PLAYED US LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE
>Quiet triggering Sjws

Hideo is truly a shitposter

this game was like Bane in the level of memes it spawned
>>
>>332193881
It is canon, but I never played it. It looks terrible, though.
>>
It's fucking awful and easily the worst MGS game.
4 hours worth of gameplay at most.
Cutscenes everywhere, which would be fine if this game didn't savagely rape the story of the other games.
>>
>>332194882
Its pretty good and the story is shockingly better than it seems at first.
>>
File: 1419511777758.jpg (55 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
1419511777758.jpg
55 KB, 500x447
>>332188761
>Some whiny bitches just didn't like the way they FIXED MGS2's plot

this is the worst opinion I've ever read on /v/, which is saying something
>>
>>332193881
It's very clunky going back to after peace walker. Having to drag soldiers half way across a level back to a car to recruit them is incredibly stupid when PW just does it with the push of a button. It's barely canon too, it's brushed off at the beginning of PW.
>>
>>332188514
MGSV
>boring walking/running for 15 minutes to get to next objective or spending 20 minutes of loading screens and helicopter rides
>copy pasted buildings with literally no level design
>little story, what little there is of it is a mess
>unfinished
>too easy to just run into the camps with sniper rifle and finish the rest with grenade launchers
>missions reuse the same copy pasted levels over and over and literally the same missions occur in "chapter 2"
>bullet sponge bosses, if you can even call them that
>regenerating health
>one type of objective - extract something
>two weapon limit
>pointless motherbase upgrade shit with real time waiting times
>basically a generic Far Cry clone with generic third person action controls where nothing of interest happens after the first two hours

As opposed to MGSIV
>brings the story to conclusion - a bit forced at times, but hey, it's a good ending
>first two chapters have amazingly designed open ended areas (which should be the focus of MGSV, not fucking open world)
>great technology
>still unique, but polished controls
>so many crazy shit happening like fighting with metal gears, revisiting shadow moses, holding off geckos while raiden fights on the half screen, that final boss fight with liquid and all the different themes in it, crazy raiden cyborg, just so filled with crazy shit that keeps you giddy all the time and you don't know what to expect

Sure it has cutscenes, a lot of them, and it's a bit short on the gameplay. But as a MGS fan, it offered a crazy ride with a lot of amazing moments. MGSV offers nothing new and it's generally a boring mess. And it's really weird to call MGS game boring.
>>
>>332195981
K
>>
Games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and the Order 1886 are basically the same fucking game. No really. It's literally almost no playing and just a bunch of fancy cutscenes with a garbage story.

I guess MGS4 comes out slightly on top since when you're actually playing you're playing, no forced walking or QTE bullshit. But really, they're birds of a feather.
>>
The only Metal Gear games that are canon:
MG 1 -> MG 2 -> MGS 1 -> MGS 2 - MGS 3
Everything else is is fan fiction.

As for the quality of the games, themselves, it goes:

MGS 3 > MGS V > MGS 1 > MG 2 > MGS PO > MG 1 > MGS PW > MGS 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eating a literal bowl of shit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MGS 4
>>
>>332195981
>>so many crazy shit happening like fighting with metal gears, revisiting shadow moses, holding off geckos while raiden fights on the half screen, that final boss fight with liquid and all the different themes in it, crazy raiden cyborg, just so filled with crazy shit that keeps you giddy all the time and you don't know what to expect
These are all just "meme" moments. I'd use that exact Shadow Moses section to pinpoint the moment when mainsteam nostalgia went "meme" and the cultural damage is still being done to this day, just look at fucking Star Wars. MGSV was a bland unfinished mess but at least they stepped back the memeiness. It's like Hideo Kojima saw the damage his pandering nostalgia trash had brought to the world and tried to walk it back by making the game as unappealing to the fans as possible. The one positive thing he did with that game.
>>
>>332196843
I'd prefer meme stuff that entertains at least than generic copy/paste open world game.
>>
>>332196843
>meme moments
Please actually think of something next time.
>>
>>332188745
I concurr

Bosses were boring and loathsome to replay. Actual gameplay was interesting at the start but falls off the rails very quickly.
>>
>>332196296
Except MGS4 evolved the gameplay of the series as a whole the most of any game in the series and was actually good and was later the groundwork for the way MGSV played.
Order was the most standard generic TPS format ever.
>>
>>332196960
"entertainment" has done nothing but cultural damage, especially in this "meme" age. If we're talking about which game had the more destructive, infantililizing effect on society then V is obviously the biggest offender.

You know how on /v/ when you type "muh X" to highlight the inappropriate emotional attachment clouding somebody's perception of a matter. MGS 4 was like if Hideo Kojima designed an entire game with a surface level unironic "mug Metal geer selud" "muh snoke" "muh shadow moses" ethos. It is a game birthed of "meme" for an audience of "meme". I almost respect him for the direction into a cold hard business man churning out generic product that sells he took with MGS V. That was just assassins creed, it was far cry, An effort to capitalize on market trends and sell copies. It cared not for indulging the emotions of manchildren. Which is the key point in all of this.
>>
File: 1450116649460.jpg (63 KB, 550x448) Image search: [Google]
1450116649460.jpg
63 KB, 550x448
>>332196843
>actually calling something a meme while trying to argue a point
>ishygddt
>>
>>332197635
>Using meme vernacular while critizing another person's use of the term meme.
Nice try, meme enabler.
>>
>>332196843
Calling them meme moments is retarded, but you're right in principle.

Those moments are all souless pandering to nostalgia with absolutely no substance to them. Only the most retarded of MGS fans looked past the terrible gameplay and story because "WOW DUDE I'M BACK IN SHADOW MOSES, ISN'T THIS COOL!?!?!?"

MGS 4 was all about appealing to nostalgia without actually delivering on any quality of its own.

It was the worst possible conclusion to Metal Gear Solid, it raped the franchise's story, it has 4 hours of gameplay worth at most with cutscenes constantly sandwiching the content, but it's cool because we saw Psycho Mantis and he made a joke about how the controller doesn't have rumble!!! So epic!!!

MGS 4 is the worst game in the franchise. MGS V is a million times better.
>>
>>332197546
>Except MGS4 evolved the gameplay of the series

That's a funny way of saying "Slapping TPS controls on MGS3 and removing limb based damage and radio call ins".

BUT OH SHIT YOU CAN CHOKE PEOPLE WHEN LYING DOWN 10/10 CHANGES EVERYTHING
>>
>>332188514
Awful, awful game. I can't believe there are people here so butthurt over MGSV that they've revised history to make MGS4 seem good. Sadly, it's not and never will be. MGS4 will always be a disappointing cutscenefest with very competent gameplay doled out in microscopic doses, at snail's pace. I will never waste my time playing it again.
>>
>>332197783
Nigga I'm not criticizing, I'm making fun of a retard.
Why would anyone waste time arguing with someone like that?
>>
>>332197838
Eh, this is honestly the kind of response I expected from some retard like you.
>octocamo is the natural evolution of the camo system in 3
>solid eye was the natural evolution of the radar system and fit better with the less completely linear level design
>gameplay was the natural evolution of what was used in MGS3 and infinitely more streamlined, allowed for crouch walking and a more open CQC system
The only actual problem with the gameplay was the gun shop being readily available for all of your needs instead of having to weigh your options at any given situation around what you had on you and actively needing to scrounge around the warzones for proper equipment.
Take your sperg meme response to the garbage dump where it belongs.
>>
>>332198456
>Streamlining
>Ever a positive
The nu-/v/eddit pleboracancer is real
>>
>>332198586
>buzzword buzzword buzzword
Please go get fixed so you can't breed, projector.
>>
>>332198456
Pfffffhahahahaha. Yeah, in the same way that having wallhack vision is the natural evolution of having to be careful when looking around corners.

>solid eye was the natural evolution of the radar system and fit better with the less completely linear level design
MGS 4 is more linear than MGS 3, you stupid faggot (This is not to say MGS 3 is non-linear)

>gameplay was the natural evolution of what was used in MGS3 and infinitely more streamlined, allowed for crouch walking and a more open CQC system
>streamlined
Says all that needs to be said.

Neo-/v/, everybody.
>>
>>332198667
>having a camo system that automatically changes to your surroundings if you sit still for a second isn't a natural evolution of doing the exact same thing but having to manually navigate menus to do it every other area
>in the same way that having wallhack vision is the natural evolution of having to be careful when looking around corners
Not even close. You really like showing your ass, huh.
>MGS 4 is more linear than MGS 3
>I can't read
MGS4's areas are generally more open and allow for more variation on how you progress when you're not trailing some faggot or playing through the design of a far older game. It's hard to be less linear overall when one game is almost entirely jungles and sprawling military complexes and the other has chapters involving tasks that railroad you.
>I can't actually argue this point so I'll greentext a word and imply it's inherently a bad thing without any argument for why it is because I'm a retarded subhuman mong
>calling anyone else neo-/v/
You should also stop samefagging unless you want me to die laughing at how pathetic you are.
>>
>>332198456
Not that the camo system in 3 was especially well thought out but MGS4 is not much better since you just lie still for a second whenever the enviroment changes slightly.
It's just a little bit more fancy enemy indicator.

Crouch walking and TPS controls basically completely fucked over the balance of MGS4. Say what you will about MGSV but atleast Snake dies relatively easily in that game. MGS4 is basically Twin Snakes in that it introduces a control scheme that completely breaks the game. I wouldn't be surprised at all if MGS4 originally controlled more like MGS3 but they changed it mid development and it completely trivialized the whole game.
>>
File: 1208440799909.png (37 KB, 661x487) Image search: [Google]
1208440799909.png
37 KB, 661x487
>>332188514
It was technologically great but there isn't enough game in it. This is not a jab at the amount of cutscenes, there simply are not enough levels that focus on the use of the core stealth mechanics. The first chapter and a half are the best parts, and even they're a little funneled, after which it's just gimmicks and rail-shooting sections.
The story is every bit as convoluted as it is unengaging.
>>
>>332199412
>is not much better
It's infinitely better. It makes a manual action into a completely passive one and reduces menu time by an insane amount.
>just a little bit more fancy enemy indicator
Which it needed to be. With the old radar, someone could just see every path he could take, pick the best one, and breeze through instead of having to explore, look, and think even just a little while still giving them information on what was in the general area.

Honestly that's more of a problem with how the game handled the difficulties than anything else. Anything higher than Euro Normal was honestly decently challenging to assrape due to how flimsy he got both physically and mentally and the restriction on maximum supplies as you went higher. But crouch walking and being able to properly aim in areas of higher levels of action did not break the balance since each level of movement had an effect on your camo index and sound output and one misstep could alert a whole squad to plaster your ass to a stone wall.
>>
>>332196814
lol nice bait
>>
File: 1392273573438.gif (3 MB, 416x405) Image search: [Google]
1392273573438.gif
3 MB, 416x405
>>332188745
Yeah, what the fuck happened after the rescue Kaz mission?
>>
>>332197836
>>332196843
>revisit an old location that everyone wanted to see in HD
>the place has lots of meaning and emotions attached to the main character
>call it a meme
Was TPP your first game?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.