[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Game just throws you straight into gameplay without any Main
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: Trendy Trent .jpg (56 KB, 448x443) Image search: [Google]
Trendy Trent .jpg
56 KB, 448x443
>Game just throws you straight into gameplay without any Main Menu to speak of.

Is there a single person on earth who actually likes this?
>>
i do.
main menus are only used to jump into the game anyways.
as long as you can pause cutscenes and then get the option to skip or enter a menu of sorts then its all fine.
>>
>>332172773
who the fuck even thinks about these things
>>
>>332172874
>who the fuck even thinks about these things

Because it's annoying as fuck if you're an options first guy. Especially on PC if you want to adjust the graphical quality. Subtitles aren't enabled, game runs like shit/defaults to way too low settings etc etc.
>>
>>332172773
reporting.
I got sick of holding hands years ago.

t.Stalker player
>>
>>332172773
Didn't at least one GoldenEye game do that the first time you started it
It was cool
>>
>>332172773
yes. a good game designer communicates the game rules via level design
>>
>>332172773
head like a hole!
>>
>>332173349
>t.Stalker player

But Stalker has a main menu though.
>>
>>332173464
I want to set up my settings and change key bindings, enable subtitles, explore gameplay settings. the thing OP described is the worst example of pretense, HURR OUR GAME IS SO DEEP AND CINEMATIC WE WON'T RUIN IT WITH MENUS. MOVIES DON'T HAVE MENUS BEFORE DO THEY (they do) WELL IN CINEMA THEY DON'T!!
>>
>>332173464
>yes. a good game designer communicates the game rules via level design

mandatory tutorials=/=main menus
>>
>>332172773
I like it when it's in a long running game series. Not when there are advanced mechanics that could definitely help you.

Later games in the Assassin's Creed series PS3 did that.
>>
>>332173537
black as your soul
>>
>>332173671
I think you missed the point.

>>332173716
You DEFINITELY don't speak English.
>>
>>332173798
id rather die
>>
>>332173464
What do game rules have to do with main menus?
>>
>>332173464
>>332173721
>>332173937
What are you guys even talking about? Is this the pretending to be retarded game?
>>
>>332173937
What the fuck are you on about? Seems you just misread the OP.

Nobody was arguing introducing game rules through gameplay design. People just hate when developers are handholding cunts who load up the game for you, before you have a chance to change settings or if you want to start a different save.
>>
>>332173671
gtaV did it fine by throwing you into the game right away, nothing is stopping you from pausing the game, going into the options menu and configure everything before continuing
>>
>>332174371
>gtaV did it fine by throwing you into the game right away, nothing is stopping you from pausing the game, going into the options menu and configure everything before continuing

It's such a stupid and unneccesary step though.

If I want to start a new game I have to first load up the last save, if I want to replay a mission I first have to load up the last save. If I want to change the game's setting I first have to load up the previous settings. Which may take more time since they are higher than you can handle.

Instead of deciding what the player should be thrown into, why not have them decide for themselves before you fucking start loading the game? It comes off condecending as fuck.
>>
>>332174989
but most of the time you will be loading up your latest save, generally speaking ofcourse
>>
>new game isn't in the main menu
>it's in options

Seriously what the fuck
>>
>>332175030
And that's fine, but if that's just a fucking button press away I'd take that any fucking day over having the game decide for itself what it thinks I want to do.
>>
I like it, except when it's the very first time I launch the game and the game's visual options are absolutely retarded and the game runsat 10 FPS and I have to sit through 10 minutes of in-engine cutscenes before getting access to any FUCKING kind of menu.
>>
New album when
>>
I prefer if there's some kind of config panel that pops up before the game starts. You don't have to restart the fucking game because you adjusted the graphics. They can be organized very easily, while the main menu options are always fucked up and bad to handle, because they generally only get used one fucking time and then you use the in game ones.
>>
>>332175616
didn't he retire and have kids?
>>
>>332175637
>PC games barely ever have config.exe's anymore.

Thanks consoles.
>>
>>332172773

What games do this?

I hate these
> Video Game trope

Posts when 9/10 times the trope is so obscure no one knows what the fuck you're talking about and are probably just shitposting. Just post what fucking game does this underneath and you're sorted.
>>
I dislike it it because I like going through options as soon as I can.

But it's not that big a deal, I'll just pause as soon as the game gives me the chance.
>>
File: tumblr_n6yw4grnZf1sl3p2uo1_540.jpg (62 KB, 540x442) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6yw4grnZf1sl3p2uo1_540.jpg
62 KB, 540x442
>>332175745
no he didnt retire new stuff coming this year he said
>>
>>332175919
Infamous, GTA and MGSV comes to mind, Lords of Shadow 2 also did it.

You must not play many games if you haven't encountered this trope atleast once or twice.
>>
i won't play a game with a mandatory detached tutorial. nearly all games today do it right by have the first stage be a de facto tutorial level, and then later returning to that environment for a real level.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.