[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>last good survival horror was some dumb indie game Why is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
>last good survival horror was some dumb indie game

Why is the genre so dead?
>>
File: 1333532376033.jpg (3 MB, 2550x3508) Image search: [Google]
1333532376033.jpg
3 MB, 2550x3508
>>332156687
Horror games are a niche genre so no big studio wants to make them.

Indie devs can make them for that reason but often lack the talent or intent to make it something other then a hide and seek simulator.

Horror in general has become stagnant because we've seen it all before and have become desensitised to it. And due to recent movie trends its turned to the lowest common denominator i.e. jump scares and video games have followed suit because money.
>>
>>332157112
>Horror games are a niche genre
Yeah that's why Slenderman and Five Nights at Freddy made a billion dollars and we get a shitty spookhouse Paranormal movie every month that makes a trillion dollars
>>
>>332156687
Fatal Frame 5 happened after that though. Ayy lmao Isolation was great too.
>>
>>332157443
Survival Horror is niche. Walking/jumpscare simulators are what's making dosh.
>>
>>332157443
Read the last sentence of his post.
>>
>>332157443
Devolving into hyperbole is not a counter argument. Those games did not make a billion dollars and did you not read what I said about lowest common denominator.

All those games you mentioned are why there are no good horror games any more.
>>
Wasn't Alien Isolation pretty good?
>>
Does anyone have that silent hill copy pasta? You know, the one with the mega links?
>>
Because no one knows how to make a good survival game. If you make it actually close to survival, you wind up making a simulator that's usually just frustrating to most people, and kind of boring to the rest. If you make it a little easier for those people to digest, you wind up not making it survival at all.

You can still find great horror games if you scrounge RPG maker games though.

>>332157112

How can you just be so insanely wrong about everything?
>>
>>332157987
>How can you just be so insanely wrong about everything?

Care to elaborate? Then I can answer your question.
>>
>>332157773
That info graph doesn't take into account people who own a PC more powerful than a toaster. SH 2 3 and 4 look far better rendered at 6x native in pcsx2e than PC version at 1080.
>>
>>332157987
Survival=/=Horror
>>
>>332158085
You can render SH3 at 5000x5000 out of the box

SH2 on Pc is a glitchy mess, but you can get anti aliasing, woo hoo
>>
>>332158238
>Playing SH3 stretched over 3 monitors
Heh this is really weird, looks nice though.
>>
>>332158238
>SH3 at 5k×5k
Oh shit, I had no idea.
>>
File: 1429332508573.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1429332508573.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>332157443

>jump scares/walking sims are the same as survival horrors
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.