[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how often do you upgrade your shit /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: new-user-tiers.png (671 KB, 1523x701) Image search: [Google]
new-user-tiers.png
671 KB, 1523x701
how often do you upgrade your shit /v/?
>>
7 years between cpu/mobo upgrades
2 years between gpu upgrades
RAM/storage drives as needed
>>
>>332129258
>RAM/storage drives as needed
i get storage drives, but RAM? what sudden event would cause you to get more RAM?
>>
>>332129490
Because I started with 8 and wanted more.
>>
>>332128781
I run my machine into the ground then build a new one using whatever parts survived the last apocalypse. I don't typically play that many graphically demanding games and I'm pretty content to play at low or medium as long as I get a solid framerate.
>>
Once every console generation.
>>
Last upgrade was from a 560Ti to a 760, mostly because it was cheaper than buying a 560Ti with 2gb of VRAM.

At some point I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and build a new system, since the i5 2500K slot isn't used by anything anymore, but I'm guessing it will be at least 3 more years until it becomes entirely unusable.
>>
>>332130080
i5 2500K and i7 2600K have remained relevant for a surprisingly long time. I only recently replaced my i7 950 which is even older. There's just no need to replace CPUs often now days.
>>
>>332128781
>Very good
If only that setup cost ~600$ here instead of 1000€
Taxes fucking suck almost 25% VAT and some fucking hardware tax to "prevent piracy" when 80% of the population who has computers only has shitty laptops and pirates everything
>>
>>332128781
i just buy a new dell every few years
>>
Every time I get ready to upgrade my shit, my currency tanks by 30%
>>
>>332130034
this got me thinking
>>332130080
>>332130286
i know CPUs/MOBOs get new socket types and the like every so often, but how often? i'm looking to probably upgrade my MOBO+CPU when the next whatever comes out, or whatever the new one is since i've got an i5-4690 which uses LGA 1150, and I know there are some new socket types out
>>
First build was 2009, second one was 2015.
Basically just wait a couple years after the new console gen starts then build a mid-range PC that's better than them, and you'll be set til the next gen.
>>
CPU and motherboard I never upgrade. I'll just build a new pc when I feel it's time for something better. Which so far has been about every 5 years.

GPU I usually upgrade every 2 years.

RAM only when I feel I need more which isn't very often. Same with storage.
>>
>>332129984
I am like this anon and also I don't see the point in getting a high end machine if I don't even like any of the current games that will use the power.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.