[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey anons. I am looking to buy a New Nintendo 3ds and have just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: New-3DS-XL-Black.jpg (520 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
New-3DS-XL-Black.jpg
520 KB, 2048x1536
Hey anons. I am looking to buy a New Nintendo 3ds and have just a couple of questions. Most game review sites I have looked at were non specific or full of pop ups and shit. so anyway. First, I kind of want the XL, but someone told me the graphics werent as sharp on the xl as on the standard size (Heard that for both the old 3ds and the new one) Is this true for the New 3ds XL? Second, I know I will pick up Animal Crossing when I buy it, but I also like action/shooting games and RPGs. Im not interested in Xenoblade right now. But any personal favorites you guys recommend?
>>
>>332071602
I just bought one yesterday after much debate as well since I already owned an old 3ds xl. As far as the graphics not being as sharp on the old one some of the older games for 3DS had a shittier resolution on it. The new 3ds xl doesn't seem to have this problem from what I can tell. I was playing Ocarina of Time on it just last night and thought it looked great. And as for newer games they all look great on the N3DS with no drop in sharpness.
>>
>>332072326
OK Thanks man, I'm probably going to pick on up tonight. Ive played the shit outta the zelda games so I'm probably going to wait on those for a while. Got any personal RPG or Action/Shooter game recommendations?
>>
>>332073072
Haven't played many shooting games on it. As for RPGs Shin Megami Tensei IV is a must have on it if you're looking for RPGs.
>>
>>332073072
Actually any game recommendations are appreciated. Platformers, strategy etc. I played plenty of Mario world 3d on a friends old 3ds. Played Starfox 3d way too much too. But any other stand out games I should try? Something that makes good use of the 3d effects? Thanks again.
>>
>>332073281
Senran Kagura 2 is really good action and makes great use of the 3D.
>>
File: 71OEOZmyUaL._SL256_.jpg (19 KB, 256x234) Image search: [Google]
71OEOZmyUaL._SL256_.jpg
19 KB, 256x234
Games look sharper and more crisp on the smaller one and you get cool face plates, but the XL has larger screen and better ergonomics.
>>
What do you think of... MONSTER HUNTER?
>>
>>332073738
literally the only game the 3ds has worth playing
>>
>>332073487
Cool thanks, Im going to look into it. Ive always loved Animal Crossing since the Gamecube. But its not a super engrossing keep me playing for hours game. So I'm looking for something just the opposite of Animal Crossing.
>>
>>332073272
Thanks man, gonna check it out. Didnt even really expect to get replies here so I really appreciate all recommendations.
>>
I haven't updated mine since like April/June last year. Am I able to pirate games now?
>>
>>332073629
I want to hug that Boo
>>
>>332071602
XL is still very small screen, I don't think it has that much of a difference
>>
>>332073738
Played Monster Hunter Tri (I think) on my friends ds. Areas were pretty small, and honestly, I could not fucking kill the big monsters. Gave up on it. Are the newer ones any better. I loved the gameplay, it was just fucking hard.
>>
>>332071602
fuck your interests, get xenoblade
>>
>>332074356
Ok thanks man that was my main concern. Appreciate the replies.
>>
>>332074470
Is it really that good? I'm looking for something really engrossing, and I will probably pick up 2 or 3 games tonight when I get the DS. So If you say so, ill give it a try. My favorite RPG ever was Tales of Symphonia. Can you compare them?
>>
>>332074387
There's a core difference between fighting monsters in Monster Hunter and fighting monsters in other games.

They're designed to be endurance battles. They last a long time. This is because, in essence, every Monster is treated like a Boss Battle unto itself.

Some weapons are better suited to newbie usage than others, Switch Axe being among the most commonly accepted to be newbie-friendly with good mobility, reach, and damage.

The game strongly emphasizes preparedness. Having lots of potions, lots of whetstones for sharpening, traps, flash bombs, paint balls. It emphasizes familiarity, as well. Running around the monsters for a while, reading their tells and what attacks follow the tells, becoming used to how they move, and as well, knowing how your weapon operates so you know what the best action is in any given moment.

It's a bit tougher on average than most games are, but that's largely because it generally eschews the ideology that you can brute force or sheer luck your way through things, and focuses on player skill.

It's the sort of game that you find a monster you just can't fucking beat, go to sleep mad as shit, then wake up the next day and beat it first try.
>>
Why not get a 2DS and save 100 dollars that you can us efor more games?
>>
>>332075458
OK, that makes me want to give it another try. I always either used the bolt gun or whatever it was called, or those two little quick slicing swords. Always went in with plenty potions and bombs but always fucking died or retreated. But for real. Does anyone kill anything with the fucking bolt gun crossbow thing? It fucking sucks.
>>
File: a572mYG_460s_v1.jpg (59 KB, 460x690) Image search: [Google]
a572mYG_460s_v1.jpg
59 KB, 460x690
>>332071602
I got my xl 2 days ago, got the Hyrule edition. Was a close shave between this one or a regular white 3ds because the colored buttons are sexy as fuck. No regrets so far, screen looks great, feels decent enough and Bravely Default is my first game on it. Shit's fun and looks great.
>>
How much can I get for my 3DS XL that I never play?
>>
>>332076317
I would, but its the novelty of the 3d that makes me want one, and I want to be able to play the "Just for New 3DS games that will come out" Ive always loved my old DS, I only ever owned Nintendo or PC games. So I'm pretty much geared towards Nintendo games. And I'm really not into consoles anymore, I like to be able to play anywhere, and love the handheld nintendo games.
>>
>>332076358
I was considering Bravely Default or Xenoblade for an RPG. Only thing turning me off of Xenoblade is the big ass ugly red sword. Would I have to use that big ass ugly sword the whole time? I know little about Bravely Default. But I really dont like voice acting in my RPGs. I would rather read 2000 lines of text than have my characters voice acted. Im just weird, but its a thing with me.
>>
>>332076317
The placement of the shoulder buttons are godawful on that, why suggest it.

Also I know IV was recommended already but Devil Survivor 1 or 2 are fun. Stella Glow is also surprisingly good, but not worth 50 dollars, try to find it on sale if you can.
>>
>>332076319
Yes, actually. The bowguns are a bit lacklustre really early on, but once you figure out their strengths they can be powerhouses unto themselves. That said, using ranged weapons means you need to wear armour that is half as effective as reducing damage as blademaster armour.

Dual Blades are among the fastest-attacking weapons in the game, but they have the lowest "raw" physical damage per hit of any weapon, and their attack speed does little to make up for this. Their strengths are in the application of elemental and status damage to make up for that deficiency, so it's useful to have a large collection of them for monsters weak to different elements. Also, since they attack so quickly, they're also the quickest to run out of sharpness, so they need sharpening more often than other weapons.

Sword and Shield has a similar dependency on elements, but not nearly as strong.

The currently-released game in the West is Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. It introduced new mechanics such as being able to jump off ledges to perform jump attacks, which inflict a new status ailment once performed enough that lets you do a short and simple QTE to "mount" a monster, attacking its back until it trips over.

The currently-released game in Japan is Monster Hunter X. It will come to the west as Monster Hunter Generations this summer, but that's still a fair way off, and there's enough differences between the two entries to be worth getting 4U sometime soon. I believe 4U's demo might still be up, even. An online-capable demo at that. Monster Hunter X introduces "styles" which let you play with one of four different movesets for each weapon, and "arts" which are super moves that build up as you attack and take damage.
>>
>>332076319
Ranged weapons take some skill to solo monsters with since they require forethought in your equipment (elemental and damage type resistance on monsters) and they deal less DPS in general than melee weapons which leads to longer fights. They're a little easier when you have a party of melee users to support, dealing relatively constant damage and drawing aggro occasionally.

I'd recommend trying sword and shield, pretty balanced for offense/defense and you can use items without sheathing which is unique to that weapon.

>>332076832
At least in BD there's a Japanese voice option. I have no idea if that carried over to the sequel though.
>>
>>332076598
Except they aren't coming out. Because they know alienating the majority of their player base would be stupid.
>>
Fucking thing breaks my wrists.
>>
Is it worth paying £140 for a N3DS just for the SNES support?

Will they be adding new games in the future?

I know it's dumb as fuck, but I'm too lazy to emulate and I travel a lot so I like the idea of having a portable nostalgia machine without lugging my laptop around.

Can I transfer my purchases from my old 3ds to my new one?
>>
>>332076895
OK thanks, I never got in depth with the game, but I wanted to like it. I could just NOT fucking kill the big ones. But the way you say it, its more about strategy than brawling. That makes me want to try the new one. Is there an end game like a uh, I dont know, achievements that make all the fighting worthwhile or something?
>>
>>332074778
I don't know if you're still here OP, but yes, xenoblade really is that good. The only tales game i've played is phantasia, so i can't compare it to symphonia, but everything about xenoblade is great. As long as you don't mind real time movement based combat, you will love it
>>
>>332077724
You can get SNES games on it? I'm the OP. Like you could get the old Donkey Kong Country SNES game and shit? Thats fucking cool. So, I really appreciate the responses anons. Do this for me, I will probably pick up 3 games. One will be Animal Crossing. For number 2 and 3 I want something really engrossing like an RPG, and something just stupid fun like a shooter or platformer. So list what YOU would personally choose. I'm going to look into and watch vids of all suggestions. Thanks again guys, and I'm seriously going to consider Monster Hunter 4.
>>
>>332077724
You can transfer all your digital games and their saves. The SNES support is a bonus for N3DS owners and it gives them something exclusive. The only people who are upset over it don't have a N3DS. They plan to add more games I am sure since the virtual console sales have been skyrocketing.
>>
>>332071602

The two systems have the same screen resolution, so of course an increase in size will make things less sharp. It's fine though, and I prefer it. 3D also tends to look better on the XL, if you care.

>But any personal favorites you guys recommend?

Mario Kart 7
Super Smash Bros.
Rune Factory 4
Kid Icarus Uprising
Hyrule Warriors Legends
>>
>>332077836
The endgame has always typically been among these things:

1) Beat all the quests
2) Grind out the best equipment you possibly can (functionally or visually), possibly even all the equipment
3) Achieve insane kill times

Yeah, there are sort of achievements, but it's not like XBL or steam achievements you can just show to everyone though. I guess you could take a picture.
>>
>>332078126
I'm still here, thanks, I only read part of an article about it before those fucking page filling pop ups started and that makes me rage. I will look for a gameplay video. And thanks, I'm going to spend the day looking at all suggestions and go out tonight and get one.
>>
>>332077724
No. You can get a usb snes controller (very high quality) for 10 pound shipped for free from japan on amazon and use the higan emulator instead.
>>
>>332073863
>literally the only
You got shit taste then, anon
>>
>>332078592
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/dp/B002B9XB0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459010386&sr=8-1&keywords=buffalo+usb

Also, you don't have to pay 8 quid per snes game, they're free.
>>
>>332078564
OK thanks, thats what I was wondering, and I didnt mean like the xbox achievements, more like "Win the game" "Save the princess" kind of achievements. (I know theres no princess, just best example I could come up with)
>>
>>332078757
Defeating certain superdifficult quests typically, killing certain enemies a certain number of times, and so on. There are progression-related achievements, too.
>>
Soul Hackers
Both Devil Survivor games
Etrian Odyssey games and Mystery Dungeon
Resident Evil Revelations
Shantae games
Both Senran Kagura
Theatrhythm Curtain Call
MH 3/4U
SMT IV
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
>>
>>332071602

the XL vs small thing is real

games have the same resolution on both console so.. if you put it in a bigger screen it will look more pixelated than in the small one

but not by much but its noticeable, i have a new XL and im used to it its not that bad
>>
>>332078852
OK cool, I never got far in MH Tri. But I want to check out number 4. And thanks for waiting on me guys had to run to the back and cash my check before the closed or no video games for me tonight. So tonight ill go pick some games. Ill post a pic of what I get tonight if any you guys are still lurking (LIke maybe 9-10 US Central time) Do you play Monster hunter 4? Could I play on WiFi with different people?
>>
>>332071602
You can get SMT4 I guess. To tell you the truth, the 3DS has a really shit library, so take some time to research more.
>little to no RPGs, most are complete shit like Bravely Default
>tons of ports
>Almost zero original games
>No worthwhile action titles except Monster Hunter, which is a big grindfest
>No Western games at all
>Only one racing game and its a mediocre Mario Kart, I think it has 2 fighters and they suck

The rest is mostly just kiddie stuff which isnt 'bad' just fucking boring and offers the games with the no depth.

I use mine for N64 ports, DS ports, and maybe 4 games actually made for the system that were good. Its just not a platform you will miss out on anything by not owning.
>>
>>332073072
>>332072326
Did you just imply that games can be more 'sharp' between them when the device cannot exceed 240p?
>>
>>332080692
OK thanks this was my main concern. My pal had a regular old 3ds standard size. I got used to that size ok. Is the standard NEW 3ds slightly larger than the old one? Does the XLs size and ergonomics make up for the resolution in your opinion. Just lookin for opinions guys. And thanks again for all replies. Really helps.
>>
Not OP, but should I buy Bravely Default on e-shop?
Seems like they've stopped printing for ages now, and I can't find a single goddamn mint copy in my country.
I really don't trust Nintendo about online things, but at this rate I won't be able to play BD.

If I'm gonna change to 32GB card, all I have to do is following Nintendo's guide, right?
>>
File: 1449280169817.jpg (4 MB, 1497x5840) Image search: [Google]
1449280169817.jpg
4 MB, 1497x5840
>>332080917
Heres the list in any case. Super underwhelming and really puts things into perspective.
>>
>>332080917
OK thanks, and sorry maybe I should have researched more. But they offer N64 games like in the virtual library? Sorry but all game review websites I look at are fucking slide shows or full of pop ups and laggy. 4chan is one of the few sites that runs without hiccups on my shit computer.
>>
>>332081261
No, ports of startfox 64, ocarina of time, majoras mask. Funny enough, these two zelda games have more effort and time put into them then the 3DS original one that reuses a ton of ideas and concepts from LttP, while making it all around much easier.
>>
>>332081094

yes the small NEW 3ds is a bit bigger than the old small 3ds but its almost unnoticeable

and well its not the ergonomics, both are comfortable to play with but its just that.. as for myself i have a small and and a XL and after beign playing so much on the XL i think i cant go back to the small one its just feels ultra small now, i prefer the XL even if it looks a bit more pixelated but in my opinion the bigger image worth its

but if you are used to the small screen and want to get a smal NEW 3ds i guess its ok too, i playet a lot on my small one too and i enjoyed every game i played on it as much as in the XL , only that now im used to the XL screen and cant go back

DO WHAT YOU WANT lol
>>
>>332081232
Thanks for the pic, that really does help man. Trying to go through the list on Amazon or the Gamestop website sucks. And I realize its kind of a shit library with most of the good games being zelda ports, kiddy platformers, but Animal Crossing New Leaf is only on 3ds and It has been my favorite video game since the gamecube version. So I'm going to get one, Just looking for other personal favorite games. I really appreciate all the replies, didnt think my thread would even get 1 reply before 404
>>
Tagging onto this thread for my own purposes.

I'm in the market for an Underage Panty Quest game.

Should I get Stella Glow, or Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven?

The girls are pretty much equally cute, so I'm in a conundrum.
>>
>>332081736
Thanks anon, I think I want the XL. Bigger screen for the sacrifice for a few pixels is probably worth it, at least thats what my gut told me even before I posted the thread. Ill post again tonight and let you guys know what I got. Dont know if youll be lurking or even care. But ill do it anyways. And as far as Monster Hunter and other multiplayer games go. Can I find people off the internet and play over wifi with them? Any you guys got a multiplayer game on the 3ds?
>>
File: 1458877875141.gif (1 MB, 406x449) Image search: [Google]
1458877875141.gif
1 MB, 406x449
>>332082327

Think of it this way...

You have your choice of 1080p TVs. Do you choose 32" or a 42"?

Same situation.
>>
>>332080805
There's a Monster Hunter General over on /vg/, but, you know, /vg/. Be even more wary than you would be on /v/.

People still play 4U. You could indeed play online with different people.

It is strongly suggested that you don't go further online than you've gone in single player. Any new hunter needs significant solo experience, but for the 4U entry in particular, there are lots of things locked behind solo progression that will help significantly in multiplayer.

Seriously though, try the demo before you buy.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND getting Monster Hunter from the eShop, and on that note, I also STRONGLY RECOMMEND getting a good microSD for the system so you can keep Monster Hunter on it at all times. Monster Hunter for me personally is a game which really benefits from having with you at all times, even with other games in the cartridge slot.
>>
>>332082872
OOOK thanks. That puts it in best perspective, thank you. I was afraid shit would look like garbage on the XL. Good way to put it thanks.
>>
>>332083515
Thanks man, and does it come with an SD card already? I know it doesnt come with a charger. But will I be able to download eshop games right out of the box? I'm really hoping they have Castlevania Simons Quest in the eshop. One of my favorites.
>>
I bought an XL one, and honestly I think I should've gotten a standard one (I bought it around the time the Pokemon RBY edition came out). It's true that games look kind of jaggy on the XL, and it isnt very portable unless you have a purse or some kind of bag. It definitely wont fit on skinny jeans (not that I wear those though). If you like taking your 3DS with you for things like StreetPass and such, then the regular one is better. XL is just too big to carry around in a pocket.
>>
>>332076598
>I would, but its the novelty of the 3d that makes me want one, and I want to be able to play the "Just for New 3DS games that will come out"

Honestly, I think only VC games like SNES releases and maybe GBA will be "New" exclusives. No 3DS games.. that would be a stupid move to make. The most that will happen is that they'll have little features only available on the "New" 3DSs like being able to use the c-stick and amiibo, but people who have a regular 3DS will still be able to play the game. There will be no new games exclusive to n3DS.
>>
>>332078684
I have 20 games installed and I can't find a reason to finish them.
>>
>>332078347

I'm waiting on them to add Minish Cap on n3DS. If they dont, I'm just gonna install it on my hombrewed Wii. No way I'm getting a Wii U just for it.
>>
>>332084503
I think it comes with a 1 or 2 gig microcard, but as per today's standards, that's not very much.
>>
OP here another question guys. I love dogfighting games (and tired of Starfox). I think theres an Ace Combat game for 3ds. Anyone played it? Can any aviation enthusiasts rate? Reason I gotta ask all these questions about the console and games is bec. I wasted all my money to go to flight school and get a worthless pilots license (Dont regret, love to fly, but way too fucking expensive unless you're already in the money) Cant even get a job with this thing (Private Certificate, not a Commercial Pilot, work minimum wage in a fucking hotel) But I really love flying games. Any comment on the Ace Combat game? And I really appreciate all the advice. I know you're taking time out of your lives to reply to a stranger asking about video games. I appreciate it.
>>
>>332085509
OK thanks, just needed to know if I could store any eshop games at all. Dont plan to download much anytime soon. Just maybe one or two old NES games.
>>
>>332085878
You'd probably have more than enough space for that if you got 4U physical, but like before I don't recommend that.
>>
>>332086212
oh ok thanks
>>
So ok guys sorry but another question. I love open world exploring games. Just watched an Xenoblade video and it looks like a huge open free to explore world. Are there any other or better large open world games on the 3DS? My first one was Ocarina of Time first time I went into Hyrule field I shit myself. Any 3DS games that can give me that feeling? All opinions appreciated.
>>
>>332086808
Specifically, I want to get lost in a huge open world and not even know my way back to where I came from. Any personal recommendations?
>>
>>332086808
>>332086935
Xenoblade isn't exactly that. It's got huge zones with lots of exploration to do, but it's primarily a straight shot, and it's got free teleportation to familiar areas.

I can't really think of any that are big enough to actually get lost.
>>
How does the 3DS display SNES games properly when it has a lower res
>>
>>332085046
That's your fault you dumbass
>>
>>332086935
Well I guarantee you will get lost in SMT IV but that's mostly due to the confusing as fuck overworld. There are still a lot of different areas and regions to explore.
>>
File: 1434527722126.gif (3 MB, 429x236) Image search: [Google]
1434527722126.gif
3 MB, 429x236
>>332073072
shin megami tensei IV and Xenoblade Chronicles if you missed the chance of playing the wii version (but if you have a good pc, emulating it would be a better choice).
>>
>>332088479
my pc can emulate snes and sega games allright, but its a shit full load of malware or something that makes it run slow as hell. Tried emulating some gamecube games but constant glitches. I'm pretty sure its about to shit the bed. Runs hot and clicks. Gonna buy an external hard drive tonight too, to back up my old pics and stuff (got pics and vids of the ex that will get lost, got pics from the last few years of family vacations and shit and since my dad died recently, I dont want to lose them either. Its a shitty hp probook running windows 7. Mostly for excel and shit I guess. Cant even run minecraft on any decent settings.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.