[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bypassing Steam Region Lock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: spqr legionnaire.jpg (62 KB, 375x529) Image search: [Google]
spqr legionnaire.jpg
62 KB, 375x529
Humble Sega Bundle has several Total War games. I live in Japan. You can't buy Sega products online in Japan, not on Steam, not on Humble, not anywhere, because Sega are greedy Jikes.

I got the Humble Sega pack codes through trading with a fellow /v/irgin in Australia. The codes will not activate because my region is Japan. My problem now is how to activate, download and play the games from that sale.

I am from the US but have lived in Japan a long time. Not a weeb so spare those comments. Steam automatically switched to Yen a couple years ago. I am now in the predicament of owning the keys to games that I cannot access.

What is the best course of action /v/? I am considering VPNing a new Steam account, activating and dling games thorugh there, then only using it in offline mode. Can also get my brother in US to create the account and use keys for me. Don't want to lose everything on my main account. What do you recommend? What is the best way to have access to these games like a normal American citizen?
>>
>>332061745
>like a normal American citizen?
Get back in America
>>
>>332061745
Bump, give some advice. I know you know ways around everything
>>
>>332061745
> You can't buy Sega products online in Japan, not on Steam
How?
>>
VPN was the only solution I found when I was living in Germany.

Although I hear Steam doesn't like VPNs and Valve might hit you with the banhammer. Don't know, honestly, and haven't looked into it anymore since I'm back in the States now.

So, do so at your own risk.
>>
>>332063347
Sega doesn't sell their games online in Japan. Possibly due to low interest in PC gaming, possibly due to emphasis on handhelds and consoles, possibly because they are fucking retarded. Either way there are no Sega games that are available on Steam in Japan.

Remember the free giveaway a month ago? Condemned, Jet Set Radio, Sega Classics? None of those are available on Steam store if you are in Japan. I was still able to activate them through the free giveaway though.

Now I have actually paid money, through a third party, for games and can't activate the bundle. Here is a quick list of games unavailable in Steam if you are in Japan:
TOTAL WAR
Attila
Rome
Shogun 2 + Fall of Samurai
Medieval 2

DBZ Xenoverse
Alien Isolation
D&D Chronicles of Mystara
DaS 1
>>
Well, what? Did you make your account when you were in the US or in Japan?

Just give me your log in info so I can activate your keys.
>>
>>332063878
Fascinating.

Have you thought about pirating them?
>>
File: 1285698713665.png (79 KB, 285x249) Image search: [Google]
1285698713665.png
79 KB, 285x249
>>332063968
This guy.
>>
>>332064008
That has always been on my mind. I already have a couple of them, but this bundle was too good to pass up with everything right there.

It's almost like Sega wants you to pirate. I see TW:Rome in physical stores all the time; it's about $30 or so. Thing is most Japanese would never even dream of pirating, so paying full exorbitant price is the only way.

>>332063968
Made it in US. About two years ago Steam changed store location and currency to match your area. Since then All prices have been in yen and available items have significantly diminished. Don't take freedom for granted fellow Americans; most of the world only pays lip service.

So would using a VPN to DL and activate run the risk of getting my (new) account banned?
>>
>>332064384
I mean if you're prepared to play it offline only and if you really care and in your heart you know you did pay for it you might as well just pirate.
>>
>>332064384
Just add me on steam and I'll activate them for you with your account.

I don't need to keep your shitty games, I already have a nice backlog of useless steam licenses.
>>
>>332064384
>It's almost like Sega wants you to pirate

See most business decisions made by IP holders for years. Not just video games. Most publishers of all forms of media encourage you to pirate because its such a pain in the ass to get the content sometimes.

Gaben said it himself. Pirates provide better service.
>>
>>332064581
Even if the item is activated in the proper region it won't work in another.

Downloaded Wolfenstein: TNO through my VPN while in Germany. Launched it, everything worked great. Next day, when my VPN hadn't been turned on and my computer was exposed to German internet the game disappeared from my game list like it was never there.
>>
>>332064737
Wow that's fucking shitty. Yeah, OP, just go pirate this shit. What a damn hassle.
>>
>>332064660
>Pirates provide better service.

>When chink shits fucking even put their own DRM on it
>>
>>332064384
you can use a VPN to play the games
i have a japanese friend on steam that tends to do this to activate games and play certain ones that arent available in his country or are released in japan at a way later date but out for the rest of the world.
he also buys codes from nuuvem and g2a so either hes really lucky or steam gives 0 fucks because hes got over 2000 games
>>
Pretty sure any American bought game can be added to any library worldwide.
That's how I got all GTA games on my third world shithole account.
>>
>>332065367
So turn VPN on every time I want to play? Or just to activate and/or download? he hasn't had anything deleted? If I go VPN route it will be on a new account with a new email address so my main account is safe.
>>
>>332065637
I just tried, and this one can't be added.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.