[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone think video games have become really boring? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: textCrawl.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
textCrawl.jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
Does anyone think video games have become really boring?

I remember a time, not too long ago, where you'd pop in a game and it would open with engaging and often impressive introductions.

You would immediately be introduced to your hero, the world he or she inhabited and the otherworldly circumstances you were thrown into. Think of the train ride in Red Dead Redemption, the storybook opening in Super Mario Galaxy 2 or the crisis at the beginning of Mass Effect 2.

Nowadays, when you choose "New Game", the first thing you see is a long boring text crawl with some cheap concept art background.

Developers don't draw people in with an interesting story. Instead, devs lay out the game's lore as blandly as a math teacher explaining quadratic equations.

Instead of learning the game's controls in a fun, engaging manner, developers take you out of the game with boring dialog box after dialog box featuring super miniature type outlining the mechanics.

I want to play but today's developers want me to study and cram and stare at boring slides. Where has immersion gone?
>>
>>332037083
Into the bloated bellies of SJWs. Enjoy your future, you created it.
>>
Nah, you just got way too used to virtual scenarios and get hardly surprised by those anymore.
>>
>>332037083
They stopped caring, vidya is just a base for DLC novadays.
>>
>>332037083
Holy shit are you really so nostalgic over games that came out 5 years ago that you put them on a pedastool like this? This was a problem 5 years ago and it's a problem now. Did you just turn 18 or something? I shouldn't feel this old, I'm only 23
>>
>Mass Effect 2
>Impressive introduction
>>
>>332038749

I think it highlights how rare it has become to find something that was a lot more common not even 6 years ago.
>>
>>332038749
>pedastool

Also OP, go back and play the older games. Go for it. I'm playing Super Mario Bros and it's pretty crazy how much the developers wanted you to die. More on point, you learn everything yourself and some mushrooms are bullshit if you don't already know the location. The story came in a manual and it was furthered by a text box.
>>
>>332037083
have you tried Dark Souls or Bloodborne?
>>
>>332039649

I'm still playing through Demon's Souls, which is an amazing game but admittedly also begins with a text on concept art introduction.

I will eventually play those games.
>>
OP, what games are you talking about?

Even Fallout 4, the bane of /v/'s existence, has a grand introduction.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.