[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Miyamoto Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11
File: shigeru-miyamoto.jpg (121 KB, 575x323) Image search: [Google]
shigeru-miyamoto.jpg
121 KB, 575x323
I think the man responsible for bringing so much of our Christmas joy deserves at least a thread this holiday season of our Lord and Saviour who gave him his gifts.

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO
>>
Never seen a pic of mario playing the sax before
>>
Merry Christmas Shigemu Minamoto
>>
>Nintendo Power: What's the secret to a great game?
Miyamoto: I think it has to do with balance. My formula for success is that 70% of the game should have to do with objectives and the rest should be secrets and exploration - things such as burning trees to find a hidden dungeon entrance like in the first Zelda game.
>Power: Let's get back to Zelda. You said the game's "System" is more important than its "Story" when you develop a game. Is that true for Zelda this time?
Miyamoto: Yes, but since I have an excellent staff that is strong in every area, I think you'll find that the story-telling is a real strength in this game.
>Power: But the "System" is still the most important part of the game?
Miyamoto: Yes. I don't think that a story alone can make a game exciting. I'm afraid that people think that I ignore story lines or that I don't feel that the story has any value. My first priority is whether the game play is interesting. What I mean by that is that a player is actively involved in the game. The story is just one of the ways to get players interested, like the enemies or puzzles. If you just want a good story, you should pick up a novel or see a movie. The difference is in the participation. In a game, you might meet a character, but you don't find out his story until later, after you do something that reveals the truth about him. It's all up to the player. You only get that sort of experience with the interactive entertainment. Of course, the scenario, characters and graphics are all important, but its this active attitude that is the most important element.
>>
>1980-1998

Released titles and characters which went on to define genres and even gaming itself

>1998-present

Lets younger devs pilot his franchises into mediocrity while tending his garden
>>
File: download (1).jpg (15 KB, 269x188) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
15 KB, 269x188
>>321699269
A long time ago, I got a N64 on Christmas, with pic related.

Thank you, Mr. Mishimoto.
>>
File: 1443290284313.jpg (87 KB, 460x628) Image search: [Google]
1443290284313.jpg
87 KB, 460x628
>>321699537
Clearly, the Hollywood directors that make video games today never read this interview.
>>
File: Miyamoto-Mario.jpg (29 KB, 468x321) Image search: [Google]
Miyamoto-Mario.jpg
29 KB, 468x321
>IGN: The N64 seems to have had a bit of a hard time in Japan.
Miyamoto: Yes, we haven't really been able to sell it in Japan, but I'm not that worried. People ask "why are you so confident" but software is selling very well in the States and people here worry because that news doesn't reach them here in Japan. But we've sold over 10,000,000 machines worldwide.
>IGN: So you think there's reason to be confident?
Miyamoto: From now and over the next year, people will be able to use the intervals between releases to save enough pocket money to buy software. The hardware's matured over the past two years, as has the software. But I can't necessarily say we're going to be selling a lot of software before Christmas.
>IGN: Zelda is highly-anticipated, isn't it?
Miyamoto: It has Mario-esque elements, with movie-like drama. It has the same kind of expression as a movie.
>IGN: I'm surprised it almost has movie-like production values.
Miyamoto: Well, it's not exactly like a movie, but uses dynamic scenarios.
>IGN: Did you use that kind of approach in Mario?
Miyamoto: Hmmm, it looks better than, say, Resident Evil or Final Fantasy VII, with the combination of graphics and content. I'm not very good at PR! Don't write what I just said! (laughs)
>>
>Kotaku
>Well, back at GDC, when that conversation was presented, I think it painted a picture of Mr. Miyamoto’s role inside the company as coming in and being a really disruptive force in the development process, but I view it a very different way and I think a lot of people do. It’s that his time to come in and flip things on their head is part of the development timeline. It’s an event that happens. It’s almost a ritual in that sense,” claimed Aonuma, speaking to IndustryGamers.
>According to Aonuma, it’s a necessary process that helps development.
>“I’d really like to reinforce that fact that I don’t view the process that people refer to as ‘upending the tea table’ as something unpleasant,” he said. “It’s actually quite necessary and useful.”

>Kotaku: Regardless, I wanted to know when the last time Miyamoto ‘upended the tea table’. So I asked him…
“I always say that I’ve stopped flipping the tea table,” Miyamoto said, laughing.
“It did actually happen very recently for E3. We released a developer video where I was talking to the camera about Pikmin 3 and the video production staff filmed it and then they showed me a cut of it. I looked at it and said, ‘oh, why can’t we take little Pikmin and put them all over me in the video?’
(At this point, Miyamoto started cackling with laughter.)
“Then the video production staff looked at me and said, ‘is this the upending of the tea table?’ Because that was a very difficult thing to do! But they did it!”
>>
GoldenEye 007 was one of the greatest games of the 90s, and revolutionised the idea of the first-person shooter on consoles – but Nintendo was hugely concerned about its depiction of violence, game director Martin Hollis has revealed.

In a fascinating talk at the GameCity festival in Nottingham, the veteran designer explained how Twycross-based developer Rare was determined to forge a creative partnership with the Japanese company.
[...]
He went on to explain that, towards the end of development, the team received a fax from Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto, with a series of suggestions for the game. “One point was that there was too much close-up killing – he found it a bit too horrible. I don’t think I did anything with that input. The second point was, he felt the game was too tragic, with all the killing. He suggested that it might be nice if, at the end of the game, you got to shake hands with all your enemies in the hospital.”

Instead of this, Hollis added a credits sequence into the game, introducing all the characters, almost as though they were being portrayed by actors. “It was very filmic, and the key thing was, it underlined that this was artifice,” he explained. “The sequence told people that this was not real killing.”

Hollis also admitted that the team borrowed the idea of having multiple objectives on each level from Super Mario 64. “I studiously tried to learn what Nintendo was. I played [Zelda] Link to the Past from beginning to end – I got all the hearts and all but two of the quarter hearts. I could write a thousand pages about that game. Then Mario 64 came out during the development of GoldenEye and we were clearly influenced by that game. Ours was much more open as a result.”

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/26/goldeneye-james-bond-n64-nintendo-shigeru-miyamoto-gamecity
>>
File: miyamoto.jpg (66 KB, 378x734) Image search: [Google]
miyamoto.jpg
66 KB, 378x734
>>321699269
He's my nigga :3
>>
>>321700019

I bet you love Chrono Trigger and FFVI
>>
>>321699269

Even if he sterilized the series, he still did a better job at maintaining Mario then whoever he entrusted with Zelda did with...Zelda. He just needs to communicate and collaborate with the other devs more; he did it with SMRPG.
>>
>>321699269
I like Miyamoto, I like his games, I will not hesitate to call out on Miyamoto.
He's too overbearing and wants everything more easy going
>>
Nov 1997 w/ Famitsu

Q: What did you model the era of Zelda on?
Miyamoto: Even though Cowboy movies had somewhat of an influence, I brought some personal elements in as well. It's not about image, it's about creating realistic scenery. The background is just a paper maché set, so to make the background as realistic as possible, you need a theme. You have to be particular in order to have soil that looks like the real thing, or feel the change in time, or in temperature.

Q: Goma [the spider creature] also appeared in the last Zelda, right?
Miyamoto: Ummm, he's changed a bit. Since he wouldn't look the same if we put him in 3D, the design had to change. He's certainly unpleasant, isn't he? We combined a crab with a bear to make him. It delivers alien-like eggs. It's gross.

Q: Is the rooster an item?
Miyamoto: Ummm, unfortunately, you can't use it as an item (laughs). However, the rooster can be used for other things that are currently kept secret. We created this rooster so realistically, it's scary. He follows along just like a stalker. It would be bad if you bullied it.

Q: Can Link stow his items away somewhere?
Miyamoto: I always get this one. It's the fate of all game characters. I'm not sure yet.

Q: What is that clam-like enemy in some of the pictures?
Miyamoto: This is a monster called Dekubaba. He snaps at you! I crossed a dog with the snapping clam from Mario to make this villain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtV2oYqNtqk
http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?n=interviews&id=1997-11-26-famimaga-miya-oot&m=html
>>
>Reading and watching Super Mario Maker interviews before and during release
>All the sweet stuff about trying to bring out people's creativity and creating the same joy they felt when they gave birth to the Super Mario series and their creative process when making the game
>"Well that's sweet and all but I really doubt the game will be THAT big or have THAT huge an impact on people"
>Christmas rolls around
>Get Mario Maker
>Friends and family come over for huge Christmas party
>Start playing amiibo festival at first because I thought it would be casual enough for everyone to participate
>"Yo, this dumb shit is boring. What other games you got anon?"
>"Well there's Splatoon which is a new Nintendo series but it doesn't have multiplayer and there's Mario Maker"
>"Wait, what's that?"
>"It's kinda like Mario Paint but you can make your own Super Mario Bros.:
>"Holy shit that sounds awesome, can we try that?"
>"Sure"
>Pop it in
>Everyone has a fucking riot playing and making levels for each other during the entire day, even the casual who don't play video games at all
>Very easily one of the best Christmases in our household
>Everyone said the game was fantastic and that they would totally play it again if I unlocked everything

I-I-I-I'm sorry I doubted you, Miyamoto-san...
>>
>>321702564
I wish he was more overbearing so that Zelda would be good again and video games wouldn't suck because they could copy off it like they always do.

If only what you said were true anon.
>>
>>321703339
ONLY if you unlocked everything? Your friends have high standards.
>>
File: 1446888808099.jpg (19 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
1446888808099.jpg
19 KB, 367x500
>this man will die within your lifetime
>>
>>321703575
They didn't say "only" they just said it seemed really limited with what you get on day one (and they are not wrong) and they got really excited at when I told them about all the other unlockable stuff (Super Mario World and 3 theme, Bowser set, underwater set, ghost house set, Shmup stuff, etc.)
>>
>>321703575
Or low standards I should say. Depends on how you look it, because that could mean they only like terrible games.
>>
>>321699269
does shiggyrue miasmamotorcross even do anything anymore or is he just a figurehead now
>>
>>321704131
>>321703575
I'm not really following the logic in either statement unless this is "le Mario Maker a bad game" meme. I've had tons of fun playing it over the past few days.

Will I get bored of it eventually? Sure, but that applies to every video game and pretty much everything in existence. There's no such thing as game that can last forever and people who say otherwise are deluding themselves.

>inb4 MMORPGs like WoW can last forever
kek
>>
File: 1450218118787.gif (602 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
1450218118787.gif
602 KB, 555x555
Shiggy-san is right; history on games can suck gay cocks.
>>
File: 18j1p32aqldfyjpg.jpg (59 KB, 800x446) Image search: [Google]
18j1p32aqldfyjpg.jpg
59 KB, 800x446
>>321704613
That's not what I'm saying at all. I mean that your friends don't want to work for anything; they just want everything to be unlocked from the start because they're accustomed to low effort, high reward.

I don't know your friends so I'd rather not pass judgement if they didn't even say that.

But in general, the west has terrible tastes in games today, and I assume you live in the west.
>>
>>321702315
Nothing Myamoto did is on the same level as Sakamoto's Other M.
>>
>>321705224
K, sorry for putting your words in your mouth.

Again, it wasn't any sort of ultimatum and it's not like it's that challenging to unlock everything in SMM anyway. The game only requires you to make a course for 5 minutes and it will que a delivery which arrives after two days. You can speed up the process by adjusting your WiiU's internal clock and you only have to do that like 4 or 5 times and it only takes at max 30 minutes to unlokc every set.

Now I'm certainly not saying that games shouldn't have high-challenge, high-reward content but I would argue that with a game where the primary emphasis is creativtity and content creation it's bad to make the play feel like they are restricted in what they can do when they would want to jump into the meat of things right away the same way that there is an appeal to certain people with playing Minecraft on Creative Mode. It's not so much to do with low effort but more so to do with not feeling limited or having to deal with inconveniences. If anything I would say that the player would put more effort (in the case of content creation games) into creating things than if they felt deterred or restricted at first.
>>
>>321705224
But monster hunter is still considered niche.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.