[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you hate chromatic aberration?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: Chromatic_aberration.png (167 KB, 2000x1205) Image search: [Google]
Chromatic_aberration.png
167 KB, 2000x1205
Why do you hate chromatic aberration?
>>
>>331989179
look at that shit it has all the colors of the rainbow

you some kidna homo or something?
>>
Because companies spend literally billions trying to remove it from optics, lenses and the like and shithead like you actually want to put it back in?
>>
It's ugly for starters, and I'm not looking through some cheap ass 1970s lens, I'm looking through an eyeball.

Same reasons why effects like severe depth of field and film grain are bad ideas, it stops feeling like you're actually there looking at stuff, instead it feels like you're looking at a recording made with really cheap equipment.
>>
>>331989179
It makes my eyes hurt and it's fucking retarded. Seriously, like extra chromosome, douche nozzles trying to make "art" retarded fucking garbage. Fuck it so hard.
>>
>>331989681
But that would only work if the player knows what chromatic aberration is.
>>
>>331989681
>tfw Kane and Lynch 2 was the only game to use optical aberrations like field distortion and chromatic aberration correctly
>>
>>331989179
It looks like shit and hurts my eyes because our brains naturally filter this shit out and think there's something wrong when it's baked into an image.

I have no problem with games imitating camera lenses. I'm fine with grain and motion blur, I understand that's part of the look. There is no reason to have chromatic aberration. No camera in the past 30 years would have artifacts that noticeable. It's distracting and ugly.
>>
>>331989681
/thread
>>
>>331989179
>chromatic aberration?

I don't speak no nerd, what the fuck is that?
>>
>>331989918
>It makes my eyes hurt

I've never understood when people complain about bad graphics by saying that their eyes hurt. What the fuck is wrong with your eyes?
>>
>>331991198
>our brains naturally filter this shit out

Do you spend your life looking through cheap camera or binocular lenses? Why would there be any chromatic aberration for your eyes to "naturally" filter out?
>>
CA can look radical in retrofuturistic cyberpunk settings but it's really over used these days.
>>
I'm gonna be honest, I'm blind as fuck and most of the time I don't even notice it.
>>
>>331992942
Bad lenses (think about DSLRs) produce all kinds of nasty shit. Chromatic aberration is one of them. I have no idea why would anyone want to intentionally ruin an image with such shit. It's like adding noise to the image. Same with lens flare. It's not supposed to be there and every photographer's wet dream is a lens that has no lens flare and no chromatic aberration.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE INTENTIONALLY ADD IT??
>>
>>331993283
Okay, that actually makes sense. It just reminded me of obnoxious kids in high school claiming that old games made their eyes bleed or some shit.
>>
>>331992942
It's explained pretty perfectly in the OP image.

Lenses focus different colours of light in slightly different ways, so if you use a lens to form an image the different colours will actually separate out slightly. Some game designers, for some reason, think that artificially adding in a filter to simulate this lens defect makes a game look better.
>>
>>331995010
But I'm from Canada actually, so I mean it's different.
>>
>>331995098
What the fuck does that have to do with anything he just said?
>>
>>331995338
Haha. :-)
>>
>>331990751
So much cool and unique shit and yet the actual game was complete ass.
>>
File: autism.jpg (14 KB, 502x417) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
14 KB, 502x417
>>331995560
Kill yourself.
>>
>>331994010
B-but muh cinematic experience.
>>
>>331989681
for once the anime poster speaks the truth
>>
>The cinema/photo industry spends outrageous amounts of dosh to get rid of it
>Meanwhile it's become atrend to cram it in games
That's hilarious in a sad kind of way, though there's games like >>331990751 where it serves an important purpose.
>>
I prefer bloom and flare.
>>
>>331989179
nah, I like it
>>
>>331989179
I like it actually. I prefer it to normal methods of blurring, adds more texture to the image.
>>
File: 14410823333.jpg (7 KB, 194x200) Image search: [Google]
14410823333.jpg
7 KB, 194x200
>>331995560
kys
>>
>>331989513
Well, if you're watching a let's play, as most children these days prefer to do...
>>
>>331990751
it kinda fit the setting in Alien Isolation
>>
>>331989370
oh, so you're concerned with the hard work people do to prevent it? That's noble.
>>
>>331991198
>It looks like shit and hurts my eyes because our brains naturally filter this shit out and think there's something wrong when it's baked into an image.
sounds like you maybe need an eye exam, man. I've never once been bothered physically by chromatic aberration.
>>
>>331994010
>DSLR lenses are bad
Try using a camera that cost more than $50 with a lens that cost more than $30.
>>
>>331989179
makes my eyes bleed
>>
>>331994010
>WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE INTENTIONALLY ADD IT??
Because of stylistic choices.

I'm pretty sure this hatred of CA and other visual effects boils down to autists being unable to handle the simple idea of someone making decisions they have no input towards.
>>
>>331999083
Then that's a problem with your eyes and you should stop blaming your own health issues on others.
>>
I don't get why it's suddenly becoming popular again considering it already came and went back in ~2007. Now suddenly every game and every digital artist is using it again. The last gen version of GTAV for instance only used it when you were actually looking through a lens, but in the current gen versions it's visible everywhere. I just don't get it.
>>
>>331998749
Shut the fuck up retard.
>>
>>331989179
Because developers use it for ghetto anti-aliasing. Aberration is fine when its used correctly for distortion effects.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.