[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So this is my first souls game and i havent been enjoying it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 209x241
So this is my first souls game and i havent been enjoying it. What am i missing?
>>
I wanted to just say "taste" and move on but you seem legit.

Tell me more about your experience with the game.
>>
>>331983876
Most fans of the series started with dark souls then played demon's souls.
>>
>>331984061
Im playing as a rogue, and I've just finished the boletarian palace. I know that it's said the difficulty is largely what makes the game fun however it hasn't come across as being difficult to me -- the only times I've died are when something unexpected happens such as a ton of barrels exploding at once.
>>
>>331984378
>I know that it's said the difficulty is largely what makes the game fun
You've been listening to idiots who bought into Bandai Namco's marketing for Dark Souls. As most genuine veteran fans of the series and the series director himself have stated over and over and over is that difficulty was never the point. At least not difficulty in the basic sense of execution being a challenge.

It's not that the games are all that hard it's that they're punishing. Most modern games handhold you form start to finish, have no respect for your intelligence and if you die then there are never any consequences. The appeal of the Souls games is that they actually punish mistakes and they reward you for learning and using your intelligence.

I mean look at it like this: On veteran in most modern COD games you're likely to die a ton, but if you do you just come back to life 10 seconds before you died and try again. Execution is hard but there's no punishment or consequence to failing. Souls isn't all that hard in terms of execution, but if you're an idiot or you don't pay attention the game will punish you for it, and when you fail there are consequences. That's the appeal on the "difficulty" angle which I feel is very misunderstood.

The real appeal for most series veterans though is the rich worlds, the beautiful art design, the great stories, the fun combat, the great music, the mystery and exploration and the freedom in character building. All free of the incessant pandering and handholding of modern games.
>>
>>331984378
None of the souls games are hard. They only require you to not be a dumbass. Demon's souls is my favorite but it's mostly for level design and because it was my first souls game. If your going into this series expecting difficultly you're going to be disappointed in the later titles since you'll already know what to do.
>>
>>331985320
I want to say that I can see where you're coming from but I don't think I've come across anything in the game thus far that challenges the player's intelligence. From what I've seen, the trap areas I mentioned earlier are probably the only thing in the game that could probably be used as an example of the game challengingthe player's intelligence. Even then though all you have to do to avoid them is edge a bit towards the corner of an entrance to a trapped room to expose them.
I think there's something I'm overlooking. I really like all the other aspects of the game, but the gameplay just has yet to appeal to me.
>>
>>331984378
>difficulty is largely what makes the game fun
It's about atmosphere and level design for me. I think the difficulty was balanced well so that the player always has to pay attention and the game is kept tense etc, but it's not really the main draw.

>I've just finished the boletarian palace
Do you mean the whole world, or just a stage of it? Which bosses have you beaten?
>>
>>331986123
Did you reach firelurker? I dropped the game at that point. Or in man eaters, I don't remember. I think I beated firelurker trapping him or something.
I'm with you OP, I don't get the love for this series. I buckled up and managed to finish dark souls and I still don't know why people love it so much. I also don't understand why people like this combat system, it remind me of manster hunter which is another series that doesn't click with me.
>>
>>331987568
Not sure if I've beaten the whole world or just a stage of it. I've beaten Phalanx, if that helps
>>331988051
Nope. And MH didn't really click for me too. Then again I've only played MH3 on the wii when it first came out
>>
>>331988451
The only boss you've beaten is Phalanx? Why are you judging the game already if you've only beaten about 1/20th of the game's content?
>>
>>331988051
If it helps you understand, MH and Souls are in my top 5 most favorite series.
>>
>>331988451
You've only finished the the first part of the game. Try some of the other areas like latria and shrine of storms and see if they click.
>>
>>331988451
Keep in mind you've only played the tutorial and the first level, but also keep in mind that you simply may not like this style or type of game (evident of your distaste with Monster Hunter).
>>
>>331988451
Honestly, this>>331988640
Keep at it for a while. Explore other zones. After a while if you are annoyed as shit like I was at that point just drop it and play other things. Honestly who gives a shit about praise.
>>
>>331988451
>plays the first hour and goes to /v/ to complain
Amazing
>>
>>331983876
You fell for the sonycuck memes.
Play dark souls 1 instead.
>>
>>331988686
I guess they aren't for me. It's a shame because I really like the lore and the atmosphere of the game, but the gameplay itself feels so boring and annoying for me. I kind of understand OP, it feels bad when you want to try and get into something but it doesn't work for you like all my relationships
>>
File: Bloodborne-cover-819x1024.jpg (308 KB, 819x1024) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne-cover-819x1024.jpg
308 KB, 819x1024
>>331983876
>What am I missing?

Bloodborne
>>
>>331989169
It's honestly pretty slow paced until you get a few levels in. I'd recommend dark souls 1 for better progression of game play. Im glad you like the flavor of souls though
and sorry about your lovelife, i understand. The last date I went on ended with her literally running away from me at the end
>>
>>331986123
Well if the gameplay is your main concern, I can safely say that the gameplay does improve very well when you continue a long the series - except Dark Souls 2 which arguably did a lot of things very badly.

That said, try out different weapons and combinations. Find what suits you the best and what you like to use.
>>
>>331983876
>rogue
Pick Royality. It's easy mode because you start off with the MP regeneration ring.
>>
>>331983876
>What am i missing?

A soul.
>>
I didn't like it the first time either OP, I've read through the thread and I shared all your concerns. I sold the game and forgot about it, but a year later I saw it in a store, and for some reason bought it back. When I played it again I really enjoyed it, and I think it was because I already knew what kind of experience I was in for. I think there was some kind of expectation the first time built up by it's reputation that somehow hampered the experience, which wasn't there on my second attempt at playing.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.