[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Convince me that this game is not the greatest third person shooter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: 187494-gearsofwar.jpg (158 KB, 640x905) Image search: [Google]
187494-gearsofwar.jpg
158 KB, 640x905
Convince me that this game is not the greatest third person shooter ever made when it clearly is the greatest third person shooter ever made.
>>
>>331982515
max payne 2
>>
>>331982515
that's not mass effect.

And besides, it's a total meme game.
>>
vanquish
>>
>>331982727

I liked Gears better.
>>
this Binary Domain cover looks weird OP
>>
>>331982694
>mass effect
>good tps

Thanks for the laughs.
>>
File: 1446146082380.gif (4 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
1446146082380.gif
4 MB, 359x202
>>331982515
>>331982515
I honestly don't get the fuss about GoW, the first one at least. I played it in ~2011 and never had a 360 before that, and it felt very clunky to control with bland enemies (apart from the huge ones but they're taken out with a one-shot cut-scene weapon), bullet-spongy combat and lacking weapon variety, in that they don't feel very different at all beyond shot speed.

Maybe I can't put my 2005 - 2006 hat on, but I really didn't like it at all and thoroughly disagree with that statement. GoW 1 is the game that has put me off buying any 3rd person shooters since.
>>
>>331983426
>bullet-spongy combat

The enemies are supposed to be big meaty sponges. I can see how some might not like it but I feel it should never count as a fault for the game since this was the intention and it works well. Never are the enemies so spongy that it becomes ridiculous.

RAAM might be the only one actually but he is the final boss so it's excusable.
>>
File: header.jpg (58 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
58 KB, 460x215
Hey
>>
File: 1446152662016.jpg (37 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1446152662016.jpg
37 KB, 540x540
>>331983789
I don't think there ever is an excuse. Not having something within the confines of the game respond to the actions of the player shows that the software has a certain lack of polish.

Since playing GoW 1 I've played about half of GoW 2 that I borrowed from a friend and I have the same complaint about that game. Without any flinching from the enemies, without any limping or indication of damage, all you're doing is shooting at a pair of fuck-ugly shoulders appearing above a conveniently low wall for 14 hours with no idea if it'll be this 10 trigger-pulls or the next 10 trigger-pulls. It's just dull.
>>
>>331982886

S T R A I G H T
A
V
A
G
E
>>
If we are talking about linear shit, MP3 is way better
>>
File: file.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>331982515
It's not because this exists
>>
>>331982515
Go to 2nd game or 3rd.
Also Max Payne series.
>>
>>331984443
This is a stealth game, nigga
>>
>>331983789
>>331982515
Focussing just on the mechanical failings of the game(s) also completely ignores the voice acting and attached characters because holy fucking Christ, it's the limpest, most ruggedly-cliché'd, cringy, half-edgy bullshit I have ever heard and the worst part is that I don't think there is a gram of irony about it.

Tl;dr, "SCRATCH ONE GRUB!", ad infinitum.
>>
>>331984213
Look at how huge the cogs and Locusts are man. Do you really think they should react to say one shotgun blast the same way you would see normal human enemies react to one in any other shooter game?

It would be stupid man. Stop talking crazy talk. The locust are a big meaty reptilian race that logically look like they should take what they can dish out. We are talking about a race of alien that can easily rip the arm off of a cog soldier and beat their faces in with it.

Do you really think 3-5 rifle shots should drop such an enemy? You do know in real life people don't necessarily die as fast as a call of duty game right?

It's all in your head man. You are the one being ridiculous here. Spongey locust enemy makes sense. It's not an rpg. Eventually they die and it usually won't take you an entire lancer mag to do so.
>>
>>331984691
In the same way MGR - Revengeance is a stealth game just because it had that stupid train tunnel section in it.

The game was... Mostly okay, and having played most of it there are a lot of things I *wouldn't* personally defend, but it's a 3rdPS, get over yourself.
>>
>>331984691
It's a mediocre shooter with crappy tacked on stealth
>>
>>331984443
Good joke Sonyfag. Not a chance that overrated game is better.
>>
>>331984723
It's just not your style man. That's fine. Move on.
>>
>>331982886
My brother
>>
>>331984723
>also completely ignores the voice acting and attached characters because holy fucking Christ, it's the limpest, most ruggedly-cliché'd, cringy, half-edgy bullshit I have ever heard and the worst part is that I don't think there is a gram of irony about it.

The games are meant to be cheesy. Just because you don't think that was the intention does not make it true. That absolutely was the intention of the series from day one. The bants are meant to be funny, corny and over the top. Don't be stupid.
>>
File: 1445058305146.jpg (23 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1445058305146.jpg
23 KB, 480x480
>>331984810
I understand everything you're saying. I don't like CoD games because I also find them dull, and trust me I've watched that Mythbusters episode and those gun-nut Youtube channels. I know what they do.

However, we're talking about a near-future setting with fucking ENORMOUS guns made to combat the locust in the form that you've described. The soldiers themselves are even using repurposed friedge-freezers as armored suits and flinch/have their aim knocked a little when they get hit (I'll have to go get the game out and check how much).

Just as much as the enemy designs excuses the lack of interactivity, the design of the weapons and protag(s) brings it back to the fore.
>>
>>331984723

>not wanting to scratch grubs
>not pulling off hat tricks, but with their face instead (that sweet headshot pop)
>not runing on Whole Grain

kids these days...
>>
File: Smug payne.jpg (255 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Smug payne.jpg
255 KB, 1920x1080
>>331982515

Heard you were talking shit
>>
>>331985094
>>331985181
Perhaps this is true and I simply can't see it. I only care so much about every element of this game because the OP states it is the 'perfect TPS', when there is plenty to be scrutinize about certain areas of the game. I'm not even you guys could state that every area of GoW 1 is good enough to be considered perfect as a whole, unfortunately.
>>
>>331982515
Gears 3 was the GOAT
>>
>>331982515
kill.switch was better
>>
>>331982515
It's a great shooter open and I've sunk countless hours in all 360 versions but Max Payne 3 ttakes the cake for me.
>>
>>331984026
no, just no... the constant interruptions by unskipable cutscenes...
>>
>>331985223
>However, we're talking about a near-future setting with fucking ENORMOUS guns made to combat the locust in the form that you've described.

You are still forgetting something. The cog decided to literally slap on a chainsaw on to their rifles to be able to cut through the thick skin of their enemies. Of course in gameplay terms things are a bit different but they didn't just put the chainsaw on their guns to make it look cool.

Now yes that is what the devs did. However they made the games story have a purpose for that. I think you need to just come to terms with the fact that the series isn't for you and you don't' truly understand why the series worked or why many liked it.

In fact a scrapped plan from epic would have saw the hammerburst having a drill attachment to the gun.

Glad you are at least being respectful and making an attempt. It's rare to see someone online do this.
>>
>>331982515
Fuck no, it is slow and clunky as fuck.

Vanquish, RE4, RE5, RE6, and Kid Icarus: Uprising are all better.
>>
>>331985828
FUCK YOU SHIT LORD NO EXCUSES I NEED TO FLINCH WHEN SHOT IT'S THE FUCKING FUTURE IT'S DULL
>>
>>331985437
>and I simply can't see it

You obviously can't. Everything about Coles character, Carmine dying an obvious death when his gun jams, Marcus being pissed all the time. The games always felt like cheesy over the top action movies.

Funny how when it comes to the MGS series /v/ defends everything they do to death yet when it comes to a series not loved as much on /v/ everything about said game suddenly becomes a flaw.

Hate to be an ass but you seriously don't fucking get it if the banter between characters is a complaint by you all because you think it is meant to be taking literal, serious. Yes it is supposed to be serious to some extent. Most games are intended to be that way to begin with. Doesn't mean that you take it OVER SERIOUS though.

You know fuck it. It's just better to say you don't get it. Sometimes people just don't get it and you clearly are one of them. I'm done trying to show a man how to fish when he would prefer to just be given the fish rather then learn.
>>
>>331985437
>>331984723
>>331986515
Rather then make such a long drawn out post I should have just did this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0823463/quotes

Now read those quotes and tell me what I said isn't true.
>>
>>331986018
kek

I-I guess that makes sense though..... :)
>>
>>331985828
You probably don't need to be told that
>>331986018
Wasn't me.

Anyway, yeah, I'm being told a lot that I just don't get what the games are going for. It mostly seems like the TPS trend has passed so if I can give my friend his game back and wash my hands of the series, leaving it to people who like it it's all for the better, and more power to you guys.
>>
>>331987748
>TPS trend

What do you mean? This genre isn't going anywhere.
>>
File: 1446911987500.jpg (29 KB, 448x419) Image search: [Google]
1446911987500.jpg
29 KB, 448x419
>>331986695
Written down like that, it's obviously a lot more plain. Unfortunately, I'm not my girlfriend's Dad, and this just isn't funny to me. Duke Nukem wasn't funny either but I think that was going for a different spin.

Anyway, thanks for showing me this game wasn't written by a bunch of dumb-arse beefheads (at least to some extent). If I'm ever invited to play Horde mode again, maybe I won't let it grate on me so much.
>>
>>331988074
Yeah I know they're still being made; when I say 'trend' I mean an over-abundance of a certain genre. Think FPS since the early 2000's or the slew of Doom clones, survival games on Steam and the required minimum or 200 free tower-defense games needed to satiate iOS users in any given month.
>>
>>331982515
Damn GoW had some fun fucking multiplayer until they buffed the Lancer. Never had a problem using the Lancer after all the damn thing has a 1-shot kill move.
>>
Max Payne, Rainbow Six Vegas
>>331983789
>its supposed to be bad
>its intentionally made so the gunplay feels lame and mushy
thats not a good thing friend
>>
My favourite MP in a game ever
>>
>>331988081
>and this just isn't funny to me

That is fine. Not everyone is going to like the same things. However it is important to understand the true intention. Think of it like wrestling I guess. You must suspend your disbelief even though what you are watching is ridiculous.

It's why I like wrestling. Many don't seem to get it.
>>
>>331988698
>its supposed to be bad
To you it is bad.

>its intentionally made so the gunplay feels lame and mushy
Nice use of buzzwords there. Might as well have just made the locust skinny 160 pound aliens that die in two shots then just to please your lame ass right?
>>
>>331982515
>accidentally posting the picture for GoW and not Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEq0oV21tHI

Dom had a hard life
>>
>>331988832
It's the game that got me into online multiplayer games.
>>
I realize this may not have been as boring when Gears was new and maybe it popularized this but I cant fucking stand cover based shooters. They are so fucking boring and unimaginative, they all play the fucking same and there is nothing fun about hugging a wall and waiting to poke out. It is creativity suicide and the most boring gameplay I can think of for any combat system. I cant wrap my head around why any dev would want to build their game around this.
>>
>>331982694
sick buzzwords
>>
>>331983426
>>331984213
AIM FOR THE FUCKIN HEAD THEY GO DOWN SUPER FAST THEN
>>
You don't need to be convinced because Gears is the best TPS to have ever been released.
>>
>>331991220
>They are so fucking boring and unimaginative

That's because most of them aren't exactly like Gears to begin with. Gears cover mechanics aren't even a necessity. It's better to learn how to bounce around everywhere.

This is also why enemies being spongy is a good thing. If everything died quicker then cover mechanic becomes way more important. Leading to much more camping and stalling.
>>
>>331982727
/the fucking thread
>>
>>331982515
Gears trilogy was the best to come out of last gen

It was all down hill from there
>>
>>331982685
>>331982727
i came in to mention these and was glad to see i was not needed.
>>
>>331982515
/v/ hates it because they hate xbox and they are a bunch of weebs.
>>
File: 3395a4e81da26d64_TOAST.jpg (1 MB, 1731x1732) Image search: [Google]
3395a4e81da26d64_TOAST.jpg
1 MB, 1731x1732
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.