[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did they deserve such a cruel fate /v/? I just can't help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10
File: wii_u_iwata.jpg (240 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
wii_u_iwata.jpg
240 KB, 960x720
Did they deserve such a cruel fate /v/?

I just can't help but look back and ask myself... what went wrong?
>>
They released a tweener system a year before the next generation started. They don't really have anyone but themselves to blame for it.
>>
>Wii U? You mean that new controller for the Wii?
>>
>make gimmick hardware
>never make gimmick game which justifies gimmick hardware

Yes, they deserved it.
>>
File: 1425484557909.jpg (11 KB, 251x249) Image search: [Google]
1425484557909.jpg
11 KB, 251x249
>>331883428
Yes. He is responsible for motion controllers, touch screen, amiibos, the list goes on.

He truly killed Nintendo.
>>
>>331883750

Yeah but is it enough to wish cancer on Iwata?
>>
>>331883428
The name
The gamepad
The lack of/shitty marketing
The lack of 3rd party support
etc
>>
maybe he was good at programming but being good at videogames doesn't mean you are good at making decisions as a president, I don't understand how they reelected him back in ¿2013? it makes no sense, of course he made nintendo earn a shitload of money but millions of people showed them the middle finger after the wii
>>
>what went wrong?
Alienating old fans and welcoming extreme casual family fun, which started with the Wii.
>>
>>331884856
Say what you will about the hardware, but frankly, Iwata was frankly a hell of a businessman.
Consider the following: Not only was he personally responsible for one of Nintendo's most profitable periods as a company, but despite how much of a failure in sales the Wii U was compared to its competitors, they STILL ultimately made a decent profit from it, thanks to low production costs and other conservative business decisions.
Even when Nintendo did hit a brief financial slump, he mitigated it by cutting his own salary instead of downsizing and costing his employees their jobs.
>>
>>331883750
Yet everybody's sucking VR's gimmicky cock.
>>
>>331884856
>¿?

Juanito pls
>>
>>331883750
>what is Splatoon, Mario Maker, TPHD/WWHD, ZombiU, XCX,...
>>
>>331883750
And yet retards are lining up for Sony VR. But I guess that's Nintendo's fault too isn't it?
>>
>>331883750
The idea of asymmetrical gameplay was shit, but the gamepad itself is pretty damn cool. I seriously hope the NX keep it.
>>
File: DOAX3 Marie Strip Tease.webm (3 MB, 746x420) Image search: [Google]
DOAX3 Marie Strip Tease.webm
3 MB, 746x420
>>331885748
>>331886079
>gimmick game which justifies VR

Got it right here.
>>
>>331886327
Christ, that is uncanny valley as fuck.
>>
>>331886327
How the fuck does that justify VR at fucking all? You can fap to it just fine as it is now, you don't need to strap your head to the monitor to jack off, you moron.
>>
>>331885748
vr is making games focused around vr.
Wii U has like 3 good games that take advantage of the controller capabilities that couldn't have just been slapped on a DS, none of which are made by Nintendo. Project Giant Robot is vaporware, their reason for not making Pokémon Snap 2 is beyond retarded, it's just wasted potential: the console
>>
>>331886450
i STILL dont get how that could bother anyone
>>
>>331886327

>No nudity or sex

GUESS AGAIN, WEEB
>>
>>331883428
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwHZwvTdnPI
>>
>>331886196
sorry but sony set the market
now every console will be a generic call of duty machine
>>
>>331885748

Yeah maybe because they don't force VR onto the console yourself. You can still use a controller or play normal games.

Meanwhile the latest Zelda game is tied to waggle shit pretty much ruining the whole game.
>>
>>331886587
Correction, VR is making minigames focused around VR.
>that take advantage of the controller capabilities that couldn't have just been slapped on a DS
The thing is that the DS approach is pretty damn good. Having a touch screen as an add on for faster menuing is great, and it shows in a lot of U games.
>>
>>331886786

>Sony made the wiiu a failure

My sides.
>>
Nintendo of America dropped the ball.

Wii U is a success in Japan.
Wii U is a failure in Americas.
Wii U is well in Europe which is sadly Sonyfriend country.

But, releasing the Wii U early did force Microsoft and Sony to prematurely release their systems (that's why both don't have any games but the yearly multiplat).

Now Nintendo is starting the new Gen with NX.

If anything, the Wii U was a gambled prototype.
>>
>>331886786
That was Microsoft's work. At least Sony still has weeb games.

>>331886801
That's a last gen game, dude. The U Zelda will play normally, just like most of their games.
>>
>>331886847
Having to look down and adjust to a second screen then having to look back up and readjust is quick but it's a disorientating hell. Holding up the controller in your field of vision at all times isn't much better. Touch screen menus are fine but you'll have to pause it anyway so you can focus on your menuing, DS menus should stay on DS
>>
ya they did

>>331883750
>>331883750
>>331883750
this
>>
>>331887297
See >>331885968

More games could've taken advantage of it, but to suggest none did is a lie.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 640x437) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 640x437
It's funny to me that people ignore that the N64 and GameCube killed Nintendo

You fuckers didn't buy the consoles that you wanted them to make

They found resurgence in the DS and Wii

The Wii U was a mix of innovation and normal game design and for the most part it worked great while also having fantastic games, sure it undersold, but so did the N64 and Gamcube and you guys suck those consoles dicks

Also Amiibo paid off the Wii U's losses anyway so Nintendo didn't lose anything from the Wii U

>>331883750

>Nintendoland

>Game and Wario

>ZombiU

>Super Mario Maker
>>
>>331887730
>splatoon
never played, couldn't tell you. Can't you use a pro controller?

>mario maker
a level editor, how grand

>TPHD/WWHD
never played, though from what i've seen I'm pretty sure you can delegate anything on the pad in a separate menu and I'd play these games with the pro controller anyway

>ZombiU
actually one of the very few games that utilizes it well. Too bad it was a launch title and there was barely anything after it that did

>XCX
everything can be delegated to a seperate menu
>>
>Day One DLC/Season Passes
>amiibo paywalls
>shit games, not just subpar
>and/or barebones at full price
>controls gimmicks that barely function

Yeah, this is deserved.
>>
>>331887228
Not really. In Splatoon you normally check the map out while you're walking around an empty area or you respawn, in Xenoblade it saves you hours of menuing, in Hyrule warriors it's used as a quick equip menu and you don't even have to look at it. And in TP HD equipping does require you to look at it, but it also allows you to quick change forms just by pushing a corner, something that doesn't require you looking. So it all depends on the game, but overall I say the pros overweight the cons. Also it's great to draw silly things and post them online.
>>
>>331887898
>Can't you use a pro controller
No. And you wouldn't want to do it. The pro controller doesn't have gyro sensors, and those are legit great. It's the closest thing to a mouse you'll get in consoles.
>>
>>331888079
>It's the closest thing to a mouse you'll get in consoles

nah, the wiimote worked way better for the metroid prime trilogy than any gyroscope I've seen on wiiu/3ds
>>
It has some good games but yeah pretty hugely underwhelming.

I think they should focus on handhelds from now on. Make a 720p handheld with HD output to put on your tv if you want to play on a big screen and just focus on that.
>>
>>331887737
Mostly this. The N64 still did fine but Ninty literally gave you autists everything you want with the Gamecube and it performed pitifully.
>>
>>331887898
You can play most games with a pro controller, but the gyro aiming is one of those things that is genuinely intuitive instead of being gimmicky.
I cannot imagine playing Splatoon with just the sticks at this point, it's akin to not using the mouse in a PC shooter.
And playing a Zelda without having the full inventory on hand at all times seems like it would be a huge step back at this point. You don't realize just how helpful having a permanent menu window open during gameplay is until you try it.
>>
>>331888163
The wiimote requires you to be pointing at the screen at all times, so screw that shit. Gyros are the way to go.
>>
>>331887898
>Can't you use a pro controller?
No, pro controller support is only for the local multiplayer mode. The gamepad is required since it's used heavily.

The rest of your post is pretty fucking picky, yes usage of the gamepad in TPHD/WWHD/XCX can be switched for the pro controller, but it's far more convenient to use the gamepad in those titles, thus I personally think they're a good example of the gamepad's usefulness.

Anyway, you agreed that ZombiU is a "valid" usage of the gamepad so that proves >>331883750 is incorrect.
>>
>>331888216
Mini discs were bad.

Also their competition was the Xbox who got all the dudebro audience and the Ps2 is the second best console of all time, not much they could have done.
>>
>>331888326
so convenience is worth having underpowered hardware because the pad drives up the price?
>>
>>331888406
>Xbox who got all the dudebro audience
The fatty was hardly "dudebro", that's the 360.

>>331888437
I think it's worth it, it's hardly an expensive console, especially where I'm from. If you feel it's not worth it though then that's fine, I just wanted to point out games do use it unlike that anon claimed.
>>
>>331888216
Nah mate they shited on 3rd party hard when they launched GC.
>>
>>331888295
>PC's require your mouse to be in the same spot the whole time, screw that.

I can't personally make this comment since I don't play shooters, but I'm sure people have complained about that too.
>>
>>331888437
We're at a point in time where there's really not much that hardware power is limiting from a game design point of view, honestly, only a graphical one.
I'm perfectly willing to accept that Wii U games will never look even half as good as PS4/Xbone ones, as long as they play well.
>>
>>331888771
No, because the mouse is resting on a flat surface, you idiot. Have you never used a fucking computer or what? You can raise it and put it wherever you want to.
>>
>>331887737
Nintendo slowed down with the PS2.

Literally babies first console after playing big bros' PlayStation and also allowed them to watch their favorite movies like the Lion King and shit on DVD.
>>
>>331888968
Yes but you can't really change where the mouse is during gameplay, whilst in the Splatoon example you can adjust (realign) the gyro controls on the fly during gameplay.
>>
>>331883428
>what went wrong?
They tried to beat Sony and Microsoft at a game they haven't played in 15 years by rushing a console out.
>>
>>331889420
>rushing
If anything they waited too long to release it
>>
They said "power doesn't matter". They thought we were reaching the point of stagnation too fast. It worked for one generation! But then next generation came around, proved we still had a good deal of improvements to make over last gen and Nintendo insisted on staying behind power-wise. The NX's controller I can forgive but if they continue to deliver nothing impressive powerwise, then we're in serious trouble.
>>
File: DSC_0001.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0001.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
The name and gamepad. People assumed it was a peripheral for wii. It's also why the 3DS didn't sell well at the start. Otherwise the wiiu has more good games than both ps4 and xbone combined. I don't even own Yoshi's rainboy curse or hyrule warriors yet. Also Pokkeis not in pic related. But i own it.

As for ps4 (which i claimed to be THE console to get before i realized sony would give their exclusives away like candy) i own Bloodborne, MKX, DBZ Xenoverse, neex for speed, infamous second son, Final Fantasy type 0, and mgs V. All of them are shit except for bloodborne. I haven't had time for type-0. But it doesn't seem like my thing.

As for Xbone, i don't even own one because it has nothing worth a damn penny and now Microsoft is giving their games to PC users. So I'll never need it.

In the end just the poor name choice, time of release and wii u gamepad are the reasons it failed. But most of all because Nintendo gave up on it. You guys would have hated it no matter what. But i had a blast.
>>
If he was responsible for Amiibos, I'm glad he died
>>
>>331889787
My pics are coming out sideways for some reason. Second time this has happened.
>>
>>331889621
If by waited to long you mean waited to long to tell developers to start using a touch pad in their games, you're right.
>>
>>331889957
ZombiU was a launch title.

In fact, the only games I can think of that do not use the touchscreen are DKTF and Sm4sh, any others I've played use it a fair amount.
>>
>>331889787
The name did do a lot of damage. Wii got made fun of for it's name, but WiiU just flat out confused people. especially since directly after announcing it (without using the word "new console), they immediately showed off Nintendo Land which looks like a wii game at a glance. The naming disaster took so long to get over that everyone abandoned ship.
>>
>>331883886
Cancer came to him after his entire business career came crashing down before him.
>>
>>331883428
>what went wrong?

The Wii was a hit

Entrenched its design philosophy and they've been trying to replicate that success ever since. They will not accept that it was a fad.
>>
>>331883428
>what went wrong?
Marketing.

Say what you like about Sony, but you can never deny their marketing has been fantastic almost the entire way, they've essentially created their own brand as the mature machine for the general gamer. Nintendo...not so much - they're still veru out-of-touch in terms of appealling to the western market. The Wii U specifically lacked any notable marketing efforts beyond Splatoon (which, perhaps unsurprisingly, has gone on to sell like hotcakes).
>>
File: 2042609-phoenix_wright.jpg (62 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
2042609-phoenix_wright.jpg
62 KB, 500x320
>>331883428

Nintendo needs to break their piggy bank a little bit and open up a fully autonomous North American division.

Right now all NoA does is localization and merchandising. They don't produce any games, the market data they gather isn't even glanced at by Nintendo of Japan.

If Rockstar, a company that's 1/20th the size of Nintendo, can pump out record-breaking best sellers on a regular basis, so can Nintendo.
>>
>>331890129
Pokken, Bayonetta, Woolly World, Mario Kart 8. I love the gamepad just for the off screen play, it's all the convenience of playing a handheld game at home without scaling back, but it is useless for most things outside of a screen.
>>
>>331890767
I don't know about Pokken or Woolly World since I don't have them but MK8 and Bayonetta do use the gamepad - the former shows a map on the gamepad screen and can be pressed as a horn, the latter is used as alternative touch controls (though I wouldn't recommend using them).
>>
File: 250px-131Lapras.png (51 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-131Lapras.png
51 KB, 250x250
>>331890715

Rockstar is worth $80 million last time I checked.

Nintendo is worth $18.4 BILLION.

18.4 billion / 80 million =
two hundred thirty

Nintendo has 230x more money than Rockstar, they could easily outperform Rockstar if they wanted to.
>>
>>331883573
Actually they released a WIIHD that was more powerful then the competitors with a tablet controller gimmick...plus a pricetag that was about 100-150 bucks more then they should have been asking along with NO first party IP worth a fuck.

Sony and MS saw this, shat themselves in horror, and with the goading of certain AAA guys, EA mainly decided to go forth with an 8th gen upgrade, a complete clusterfuck of an 8th gen upgrade.

Nintendo's real problem?
The cost of the system, making the controller NEEDED for the system to function, and not making it absolutely clear with the first 10 games that it was an HDD WII with a tablet controller for shit and giggles.

Total fuck up on their part.
>>
>>331891313
Nah Nintendo's biggest error by far was not properly marketing the fucking thing - very few advertisements (especially in Europe); initially only showed off the gamepad back in 2011, leaving people to assume it was an addon; stupid name that further reinforced assumptions that it was an addon...
>>
>>331891708
Marketing Nintendo in Europe would be like selling holiday travel tickets to 10 year olds.

They are already PlayStation fans, an Ad wasn't going to change that
>>
>>331891964
Well yeah because Sony knows how to market, Nintendo never seemed to bother much in that department. Also see >>331890645
>>
>>331891964
Kids in Europe still love their Pokeymans and their Marios. Hell, Splatoon sold more than a million units here. The problem is shit marketing indeed.
>>
>>331892171
I guess that's true especially when it was open and for the taking, they didn't want Europe for some reason and seemed content with just NA so Sony took Europe for the most part.
>>
>>331891708
>>331891964
Well yeah, they NEEDED good marketing. That's what the whole "Make it clear that it's a HD WII with a fun tablet accessory" thing was about.

Secondly, the moment the wiius dropped in price at that one place in europe during that christmas there was a fucking RIOT
I shit you not, one guy thought that he had brought one of the few wiius to the counter and when he saw that it was antoerhe threw that shit on the ground and stormed off.
>>
>>331887737

>Also Amiibo paid off the Wii U's losses anyway so Nintendo didn't lose anything from the Wii U

Whether this is true or not idk, but what nintendo did lose is mind share. Anyone who isn't one of those nintendo types, you know the ones, think nintendo is a joke now.
>>
>>331892401
Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I love Sony's consoles, the PS1 and PS3 were technical achievements in terms of hardware, and except the yet-to-blossom PS4 they've all had a great library since Sony's strategy is to focus on ties with 3rd party developers and indies: I just think it's silly when people cry about Nintendo's hardware or gamepad or whatever as the reason for its hardware sales' shortcomings (though it's worth mentioning the software has been selling fine; very well, in fact), when the main issue is clearly their marketing.
>>
>>331883428
The real problem is not even the gimmick consoles, but games themselves.
Nintendo is just making games for its fanbase, they don't try anything new, they don't try anything mature.

Why would anyone play Splatoon when there's Bloodborne on the other side ? It's been like that since 3 gen, they never gave a fuck.

Nintendo commits sudoku.
>>
>>331886801
That's not true Anon, the latest Zelda game is tied to online mission-based co-op shit on Nintendo's godawful servers, pretty much ruining the whole game.
>>
>>331893071
It's not about the marketing, the Wii U was hard to market as hell due to that shitty name and the focus on the tablet, leading pretty much anybody who ever knew about the thing to believe it was just an add on for the Wii. Hell, I went to buy NSMB U in a Game store 2 years after the thing got released, and the clerk asked me if I knew that that was not a game for the regular Wii.
>>
They released an inferior system with a gimmick that was at the same price as more powerful consoles.

The wii was cheaper than its competitors 100% of the time, while the wii u and ps4 have been at $350murricans at the same time many times.

Also they aren't going for casuals aa much as they did with wii and old people just buy the wii for wii fit anyways.
>>
>>331885253
This here desu

There were no cool games and the controller,and mii shit pissed me off
>>
>>331883729
>people have forgotten how many terrible peripherals there were for the wii.
>>
>>331893489
That all relates to marketing though, the branding of a product (in this case, the name/logo) is part of its marketing.
>>
>>331889901
You are such a faggot. Get the fuck out of here.
>>
File: 1450869064434.jpg (60 KB, 600x720) Image search: [Google]
1450869064434.jpg
60 KB, 600x720
just use the NX pro controller
>>
>>331894326
i got my wiiu for $200 from nintendo in 2014.
stay delusional
>>
File: RIP2ch.png (8 KB, 878x376) Image search: [Google]
RIP2ch.png
8 KB, 878x376
Who will the PS4 kill next?
>>
It's honestly all in the marketing.

People who say "bleh bleh bleh nobody wants le gimmicks! Le shitty kiddy poo poo games muh F-Zero muh Metroid!!!" are actual retards.

The Wii U was very confusing to understand when it was announced. Most people thought it was a Wii controller.

And then by the time people understood, the stigma of it being "the uncool, unpopular console" was there to stay. That's the biggest factor by far. The system has more good games than the competition, yet it has been outsold by a huge margin. Games do not matter in the large scheme of sales, only marketing and popularity.
>>
>>331886775
this is fucking garbage and gives me a headache
>>
>>331883428
Almost nobody tried motion control before the Wii, so you could sell people a promise of innovation.
On the other hand, touch screens were already a common thing when the Wii U came out, you can't really bullshit your way if the other person already know by direct experience whatever you are talking about.
>>
>>331886616
B-but muh ecchi!
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>331887898

> a level editor how grand

Nice shitpost, the Gamepad works fucking perfection on a level editor you fucking shitstain, you can't shitpost when you fucking asked what the Gamepad is useful for and we just fucking told you

A fuck ton of level editors suffer from garbage UI, Mario maker is extremely fucking easy to make a level with because of how great the Gamepad is handled
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.