[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /Day of the Tentacle Remaster/ here? One of the best games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: day.jpg (128 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
day.jpg
128 KB, 580x326
Who /Day of the Tentacle Remaster/ here?

One of the best games ever made.
>>
Yeah, the game itself is great, but the remaster looks like it's been put through those shitty emulator filters.
>>
Never had the chance to play it when I was younger. How is the remaster?
>>
>>331881564
Well, if it's like the Grim Fandango one then it's garbage.
>>
>comparison screenshots crop the original version to 4:3 just to make the remaster look better

It's shit just because of that. Higher audio quality sounds ducky, but I'm not forking over any money to Tim the Tool Man Schafer just to hear Bernard whinge in studio-quality sound.
Fuck 'em.
>>
>>331881510
There is nothing wrong with it though. Its not a filter, the game just look like that with high resolution.
>>
its exacly what you expect, the voiceacting, music and effects are still the same but in higher quality.
the animations are the same framerate as the old version, so they seem kinda out of place with the higher resolution graphics.
Most backgrounds seem to have been vectorised from the old art and have things added to them.
The character sprites must have been redrawn tho.

tl;dr stay away from this cash grab
>>
>>331882292
The backgrounds are completely new. If you try to vectorize something so pixelated fhe result would be a disaster, but they are perfectly clean
>>
>>331881564
Just get the original. Don't fall for the "HD remaster" meme.
>>
>>331881564
Music and sound is slightly improved, and they adjusted the music so it doesn't randomly over-power the voice acting in certain scenes. Graphics are whatever, smoothing + added details looks nice in some sections, awful in others, I've just been playing it without the filter and have been switching the filter on then off when I enter a new room to see what it looks like.

You're fine and probably better off just pirating the original and running it through Scumm VM.
>>
>>331879887
Well this is a new prescription doc. Are you sure i should take this?
>>
>>331879887
Are they going to keep the VHR player puzzle?
That shit is going to SO troll all the lil newfigs.
>>
I'm at least curious about it
>>
>put the the feather on the horse carriage to make it rain bullshit
How can anyone stand these game? The presentation is otherwise excellent; they should just have made a cartoon.
>>
>>331883051
I hate it when people act like LucasArts games are guilty of puzzles with massive logic leaps that make no sense.
Yes, there are shitty adventure games that have puzzles that make no sense, that's why the genre more or less died out but LucasArts was NEVER to blame.
Just for example, everything in Day of the Tentacle makes perfect sense in context and is hinted at in conversations and by the environment if you bother to listen and pay attention, which incidentally is the other thing that killed the genre, people being lazy and not wanting to THINK.
>>
>>331881726
>>331882609
>>331882687
Thank you for the input.
>>
>>331881564
I played through it the other day.

It's not bad. It uses the voiceovers from the CD version of the game, so it's fully voiced. The upgraded visuals and new soundtrack are actually quite nice. Like with previous remastered/special edition releases, you can swap between the remastered and classic version of the game with the touch of a button. The classic version features the original 4:3 aspect ratio, action menu, inventory selection, and midi soundtrack which appears to emulate a soundblaster 16. You also have the option of toggling on/off developers commentary as you play the game, or watch the in-game cutscenes. Some of it is really interesting stuff, like how there were originally 6 kids planned, one of which happened to be Razor from the original Maniac Mansion.

The streamlined controls make it easier to navigate through the game, though you can miss out on some of the "I can't do that" or "why on earth would I want to?" dialog unless you swap to the classic version, as some of that can be kind of funny. Otherwise, it's a fantastic game. However, if you already know the puzzles/solutions, you can expect about 5 hours of gameplay. Maybe more if you take a while to remember them. It also still contains a full version of the original PC release of Maniac Mansion (sorry, no NES soundtrack, as amazing as it was.)
>>
>>331881510
>art remade in HD keeping the art style
>looks like shitty emulator filters

pick one
>>
PROtip: Press F1 to switch between remake and classic game.
>>
>>331883946
I see. Thank you.
>>
>>331883703
They actually touch on this in the developer commentary. One of the devs explains that a puzzle he wrote stemmed from a proverb his father told him as a child. They include several hints within the game that point to the solution, but if its something you've never heard before, or if you're from a part of the country where it's less common, it might make less sense, hence why some people may feel it's a massive leap in logic. To be fair, Day of the Tentacle has far fewer of these leaps than other titles such as Monkey Island 2, etc.
>>
File: schafer_2.png (543 KB, 1438x809) Image search: [Google]
schafer_2.png
543 KB, 1438x809
>>331879887
>giving Tim more money
>>
>>331884226

No problem. I loved the game when I was younger and despite the fact that I blew through it in one sitting, I'm happy to have an updated copy to play and share with my friends. That's how I justify the $15.
>>
finished it in one hour. damn my good memory for puzzles.
there was barely any commentary in the game. i thought for sure they'd do a commentary when you melt the hamster in the microwave, but nope. the commentary for Grim Fandango was so much more in depth.

I did like that they actually made it so you can play with the original verb list in the new version AND have the new interface in the old version. makes things interesting
>>
>le meme old quests
>le Sierra
objective circlejerk
>>
>>331879887
>point and click
>game
>>
File: arbys-1.png (520 KB, 640x748) Image search: [Google]
arbys-1.png
520 KB, 640x748
What the fuck, Arby's?

>>331879887
Oh, and OP I liked Maniac Mansion better because it was a shorter game, but it felt so free in what you could do and there were like 5 ways to beat the game
>>
>start the game
>immediately go the Ed's room when i get the chance
>fire up Maniac Mansion 1 on his computer
>it's not remastered

darn
>>
>>331885769
Be glad it's there in the first place.
>>
Yes, it's true that you can just pirate the original and play it on ScummVM and not miss that much, but if you actually have a conscience or moral compass, you may want to just pay the $15. It's really not overpriced for what you're getting, along with the added benefit of knowing you're not a piratefag.
>>
hopefully you fags pirated this shit

https://twitter.com/ChloeNolann/status/712409643952250880
>>
>>331886106
Tim, pls.
>>
>>331885557
One of the best replies to that tweet was "I don't think you should eat that."
>>
now we wait for Full Throttle remaster, Tim's shortest game. It's even shorter than one episode of Broken Age.
>>
Was it ever explained what happened to the other kids from the first game?
>>
>>331886146
Ironically, ,my name actually is Tim, but I'm not Tim Schafer, thank fucking god. DOTT is a good game, but that guy is an insane SJW. Fortunately, the game preceeds that bullshit.
>>
Post some fucking screenshot. I wanna see if it's really that bad or if you faggots are just overreacting over anything not fitting your rose-colored memories.
>>
File: dott2.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dott2.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>331886656
>>
>>331886131
Of course not.

Tim is a shitlord, but DOTT is still a fantastic game.
>>
when I was a kid I loved the game but most the humor flew over my head, mostly because not being american meant I had no idea who the guys in the past mansion were, so I just followed the guides.

Replaying it now as an adult (still ignorant in american history though) has been amazing, I think I enjoyed it way more than back in the day
>>
so, the game takes place in Philadelphia?
>>
>>331887697
no, there's specific reference to people needing to travel to philadelphia, so that would imply that they're not currently in philadelphia.
>>
I remember this game was an easter egg in Zombies ate my Neighbors
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.