[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a good reason to switch to UE4 from Source? I can already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: hhhhhh.png (208 KB, 1417x454) Image search: [Google]
hhhhhh.png
208 KB, 1417x454
Is there a good reason to switch to UE4 from Source? I can already design complex levels in Source, and know how to use most of the features. I searched for a while about comparisons, and the only thing people seem to say about UE4 is it's newer so it's better.
>>
>>331864595
UE4 allegedly has the best visuals, physics management and terrain bumping to date. Source is simply good for running games on anything down to toasters.
>>
More ease of use for sure. I used to make TF2 models for servers and the process of repeat compiles and error checking was a pain in the ass.
>>
I hate scripting in UE4 but it's undeniable that it produces much better visuals than Source. The whole raytracing "compile" step of Source is obsolete in UE4.

As I understand it the newest source engine doesn't even handle flickering/moving lights because it needs to bake shit? Definitely not a problem with UE. It seems to me that Source is basically the same engine it was in 2004 but with some modern graphical features bolted on while UE4 is much more clearly a modern engine.
>>
>>331864595
Depends on what type of game you're trying to make and what limitations you're trying to overcome if applicable.

For example, Source Engine would be a awful choice if you want to make a open world game because of the way the engine handles map files. UE4 would be a better choice for open world games but if you're aiming to make your game highly accessible to your audience then UE4 wouldn't be the best choice due to the demanding system requirements.
>>
>>331865151
>>331865660
I thought UE4 can be toaster friendly with different shaders. I heard that how it works on phones/browers.
>>
>>331864595
UE4 is newer and has better features than Source. Source is still a great engine but a lot of it is outdated and lacks a lot of features most newer engines have, not to mention how annoying the devtools can be to use.

Source 2 will probably fix most of this if the dota 2 files are anything to go by, but it will probably still be a while until the Source 2 SDK is made public.
>>
>>331864595
Source is very outdated and doesn't support a lot of features like GE.

You can probably just wait for source 2 though if you don't want to bother with UE4.
>>
>>331866339
>>331866120
I really hope Source 2 has a better pipeline. Most engines allow you to simply import files directly into the editor and do any troubleshooting directly.
>>
>>331866937
I would imagine it would, because at this point Valve can't actually make video games and only cares about making ways for the "community" to make them money.
>>
>>331864595
Wait to source 2 launch.
>>
>>331867386
This. It shouldn't be much longer for the engine to "officially" come out.

You can fuck around with Source 2's very much improved Hammer, along with some other tools, by using Dota 2's Workshop Tools.

Is it possible for TF2 to be implemented into the new Hammer anyways? I've always wanted to make some trade maps, but I don't want to use the outdated map editor and it's very unlikely that Valve won't port the game over to Source 2 like they did with Dota.
>>
when the fuck are indie/kikestarter games moving from Unity to UE4?
>>
It can . those anons are just talking out their ass.
>>
File: 1451727870495.png (669 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1451727870495.png
669 KB, 1600x900
>>331868318
Probably never, UE4 is just too hard for the poo in loo audience. UE4 has shit documentation for it's C++ stuff and C++ is already harder than C# to begin with, while C# (especially the old-ass version you have to use with Unity) is pretty much literally Java, which is the favorite language for anyone who has less than one year of experience with programming (i.e. 100% of the people trying to make a quick buck on the indie fad). Pretty much anyone can just wing it with Unity, you can't do that with UE.
>>
>>331868318
When they can afford real computers to run the editor.

Why else do you think a majority of indie games are pixel art?
>>
>>331868728
>why else do you think a majority of indie games are pixel art
It costs less money and time to make
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.