[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is LM so unpopular nowadays? It isn't as unanimously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: metroidvania.jpg (3 MB, 2000x7800) Image search: [Google]
metroidvania.jpg
3 MB, 2000x7800
Why is LM so unpopular nowadays? It isn't as unanimously praised as it used to be. Just four years ago it was voted one of the best metroidvanias of all time.
>>
What is that one in the bottom right of the trinity?
>>
>>331810461
See? This is what I'm fucking talking about.
>>
the Metroid games are not "Metroidvanias". Metroidvania implys Metroid style exploration and item collection mixed with rpg elements. The Metroid games are just Metroid games. Hell most games that call themselves Metroidvanias dont have any rpg elements and just slap that term on for marketing purposes.
Its a dumb term that most people dont even know that it actually means. Great games though
>>
>>331811101
Metroidvania was original used to describe castlevania games that played like metroid (SOTN, AoS, AoD, etc) and then language evolved and the term started referring to most/all 2D games that play like metroid, because that's more useful.
>>
Calling La Mulana a "metroidvania" is a massive misnomer. Even more of a misnomer than using that same word to describe Super Goddamn Metroid. It's a completely different genre altogether. It's a game about horeshit puzzles that are both intentionally and unintentionally obtuse as all fuck. Exploration is a side note to all of that.

But my gripes with that shitty chart aside, LM is a wonderful, horrible, beautiful, evil fucking game. I both love it to bits and hate it to death. So I can understand how people might not give it the most stellar of praise, given how UNREASONABLY high the entry barrier for playing it is.

But I don't think it can be argued that it's almost exactly the game that Nigoro wanted it to be. So good on them for achieving their design goals, insane though they may be.
>>
>>331811370
La-mulana plays like classic castlevania and has the explorative aspect of metroid. It's the most "metroidvania" of any non-castlevania "metroidvanias" and metroidvanias sans Circle of the moon.
>>
Also it's because all the people with taste migrated to cripplechan, so the newfags stayed.
>>
>>331809367
Is Dawn of Sorrow really that good?
>>
>>331811554
I would argue that neither of those things are true. The similarities are only superficial, in that the character uses a whip and you're traversing a gigantic as fuck labyrinth. They have completely different core gameplay elements.

For example, in Metroid, you explore the map to find abilities to open doors that open more of the map and allow you to find more abilities. It's a simple gameplay loop. In LM, the number of traversal abilities you gain are minimal. You get a double jump, a thing that lets you swim, and a handful of new weapons and subweapons. Most of your progress comes from puzzle solving. You are inundated with hint after hint after hint after hint to puzzles you may or may not have even encountered yet, and the core challenge is to SOMEHOW keep all this shit straight enough to make forward progress, and then maybe you'll get to fight an (admittedly really fucking cool) boss or two. And then after that, more of the map doesn't even necessarily open. You may have to solve even more puzzles and even learn to translate a fictional alphabet somewhere along the way.

If it weren't for the platforming, LM would have more in common with point and click adventure games than anything else.
>>
>>331809367
>Ori isn't even on the list
Is this some kind of heresy anon?
>>
>>331813054
Four years ago.

It was made four years ago.

Voted, officially.
>>
>>331813628
Then unfuck it, Ori goes straight into god tier
>>
File: 1457231552403.jpg (3 MB, 2000x7800) Image search: [Google]
1457231552403.jpg
3 MB, 2000x7800
>>331815235
This was it updated, still officially voted in.
>>
>>331811291
>>331811370
metroidvania has long lost its original meaning, don't get hung up on it
>>
>>331811101
Actually metroidvanias are Castlevanias with Metroid style maps and that's it.
>>
>>331817581
t. cavemen
>>
>>331813054
holy shit people on /v/ actually like Ori

i've had enough
>>
La Mulana is a meme game.
>>
>>331817692
I bet you unironically think "character action" is a good and descriptive name for a genre
>>
Guacamelee is a fucking great game if you patch the memes out.
>>
File: 1457747745949.gif (1 MB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
1457747745949.gif
1 MB, 500x276
>>331809367
>mfw see Tombi on that list
>>
>>331815398
>Axiom Verge being anywhere near great
I'd rather play just about any Metroid game. I don't really mean to sick Metroid's dick by saying that since it's far from my favorite Metroidvania, Axiom Verge is just so blatantly uninspired that I'd rather play the game it so desperately tried to be. If I had to play the original or a pale imitator then naturally I'd go for the original.
>>
>>331811101
Ya. Metroid didn't have any rpg elements in it.
>>
Wonder Boy in Monster World is a fantastic metroidvania on the Genesis. I was disappointed that it's sequel isn't a metroidvania, more of a puzzle platformer, but that game is good too.
>>
>>331819387
Oh and The Dragon's Trap, WBIMW'S prequel, is also fantastic. The games before that range from arpg platformers, shmup platforners, to standard platformers
>>
File: 1457317190040.png (201 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1457317190040.png
201 KB, 640x360
>>331809367
take axiom verge off that list you casual piece of shit.
>>
>>331819961
Axiom verge isn't even on that list you retard
>>
Out of that entire list, is there anything that even comes close to rivaling La-Mulana's difficulty?
>>
>>331809367
>Shadow Complex
>great
It's bland as fuck.
>>
Is the La Mulana wii version good?
>>
>>331820454
Yes. It's the same as the PC remake version except for a couple things.
>>
File: pooprage.gif (982 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
pooprage.gif
982 KB, 320x287
>>331820454
>mfw it almost never got to wii because of nicails' shitty incompentence

im still fucking mad over that but im glad it got made for PC
>>
>>331820567
Cool, I'll get it there I guess.
>>
>>331809367
Any game you need a guide for is complete shit. See breath of fire
>>
>>331820960
Good thing you don't need a guide for it.
>>
>>331821024
Did you beat it without guide
>>
>>331821075
Yes.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.