[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What could have saved the Dreamcast?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: whatsshenmue-7-e1314204864623.jpg (41 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
whatsshenmue-7-e1314204864623.jpg
41 KB, 600x300
What could have saved the Dreamcast?
>>
Sony
>>
>>331801078
A time machine.

Even though it had a ton of features that later systems would all have, it happened too early. Kind of like the Nokia N-Gage.
>>
>>331801078

Maybe not allowing people to play pirated games right out of the box would have helped.
>>
A DVD drive, stronger online support, more third party devs besides just capcom and more JRPGs.

The biggest thing that could've saved the DC was Sega not making so many costly mistakes from the end of the Genesis-Saturn era.
>>
File: gg.jpg (69 KB, 617x328) Image search: [Google]
gg.jpg
69 KB, 617x328
Focusing on the handheld market and games for it. The GBA was the only good handheld at that time. The Gamegear had op tech for it's time but they barely released any worthy game for it.
>>
>>331801078
Most of it was rooted after the Genesis. A DVD drive could have gave it a few more years.
>>
>>331801929
>the dreamcast
Ok I'm retarded.
>>
>>331801920
>>331802036
I don't think DVD players even existed when the Dreamcast came out.
>>
>>331801078

good marketing
>>
>>331801078
>What could have saved the Dreamcast?

Not being helmed by Sega.
>>
Segata Sanshiro
>>
>>331802293
dvd's where first introduced in 1995 so it would've been possible.
>>
Smarter consumers. The Dreamcast was the best console ever developed.

People were just too stupid to buy it.
>>
There was nothing wrong with the Dreamcast.

It wasn't an unmitigated disaster like everything else Sega released after the Genesis up to that point.

The problem was that Sega needed the Dreamcast to be the PS2. And the reason for that was all of the dumbass stuff Sega had been doing since the Genesis.
>>
>>331801920
Pretty much all it needed was a dvd drive. It died the moment the PS2 came out because PS2 was about the same price and could play DVDs
>>
Very simple. Copy-protect the disks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IeMAQ7GzHo
>>
>>331801078
a not shit controller
>>
Too expensive and released too early with inferior hardware to competitors

Or literally what Nintendo is doing right now

RIP Nintendo - you won't be missed
>>
>>331801078
sega should have known that arcade games on a console are going the way of the dodo and design the dreamcast appropriately
>>
A 2nd analog stick on the controller would have helped a lot.
>>
Why the fuck does Soul Calibur 1 on the DC look better then SC 2 on the PS2? I thought the PS2 was suppose to be more powerful. It looks like dogshit. I can barely stand it.
>>
File: 2977960-9579067367-Denuv[1].png (56 KB, 1288x652) Image search: [Google]
2977960-9579067367-Denuv[1].png
56 KB, 1288x652
>>331801078
better anti piracy protection tbhq
>>
>>331802098
In your defense your post was still correct.
>SIX BATTERIES
>>331801078
Better publicity, timing releases better, not launching their own major titles along against other companies. The games they had on it were outstanding but when they launch games the same time as stuff like Star Fox, Final Fantasy, and a whole bunch of other shit I can remember anymore, it's hard to compete.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 500x200
>>331801078
Us
>>
>>331801078
a dvd drive
>>
not allowing any burned CD to work flawlessly

also DVD player
>>
They could have not fucked over their partners.

Pic related, the lower right corner. There's a reason you don't see that logo on many games other than Sega Rally 2.
>>
>>331801078
A DVD player. That's why the PS2 sold well.

But even then, Sega would have to make up for every mistake made after the genesis like the horrible Saturn Launch in the west and every other Sega system that bombed hard.
>>
Was Piracy really that much of a problem for the Dreamcast? IIRC downloading something the sized of a Dreamcast game took a very long time back then.
>>
-Fix piracy issues
-Better marketing
-More (good) games
>>
>>331808996
clone cd desu
>>
>>331802846
My local Toy's R Us was the only place I could even get one. They tacked on an extra controller, memory card, and the newest Sonic game. Their bundle came out to over $450. In the late 90's!
>>
>>331801078
Not making all online shit client side so things like Gameshark couldn't give you literal online hacks.

Fuck that faggot that stole my Spread Needle on PSO by using that PK hack.
>>
>>331801078
not fucking up the Saturn
alternatively, an anonymous benefactor funneling massive amounts of cash into Sega

That's literally it. Even if the DC did better than it did (it sold pretty okay overall and would have been successful if Sega wasn't busy dying on the inside), Sega would have still folded.
>>
>>331808996
People used to rent games and rip.
>>
>>331801078
>all these people focusing on the lack of a DVD player, when that shit wasn't even popular when DC was discontinued
>>
>>331811139
which was much harder on the DC than on say, the PS1 due to the fact that you couldn't really just stick the disc in your CD drive and copy it, you actually needed a scene release for DC games

the fact that broadband was becoming widespread in 2000-2001 did lead to DC piracy being non-negligible, and you could totally go to your local chinatown and get bootleg DC games (and copy those, which were on actual CDs)

>>331811963
that's a damn lie and you know it
fuck, even I bought my PS2 to play DVDs

>>331808427
Sega didn't really fuck over Microsoft, I haven't heard or read anything of the sort.
the reason you don't see that logo on many games is the WinCE doesn't perform that well on the machine, it's more overhead
>>
>>331801078
Dreamcast was, for a while, the fastest-selling console of all time. It wasn't anything the Dreamcast did that doomed it, it was the debt caused by the 32X, the Nomad, and the Saturn that dragged it down.
>>
>>331812257
Most people still used VHS until after 2001, when the Dreamcast was discontinued.
>>
>>331801078
Sega not being shit
>>
>>331812826
>Most people still used VHS until after 2001
this is true
but the PS2 was a pretty decent factor in DVD adoption from 2001 onward

in 1999, the writing wasn't exactly on the wall for adding DVD support, but it would have helped (and falling DVD media and reader prices meant that it'd be good for DC games anyway, having to get modified CD drives made for GD-ROM certainly didn't help Sega's bottom line)
I can't actually fault Sega for not having DVD playback, not in 98/99.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.