[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do indie developers do wrong that makes /v/ hate them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: 1451353150244.jpg (101 KB, 864x717) Image search: [Google]
1451353150244.jpg
101 KB, 864x717
what do indie developers do wrong that makes /v/ hate them?
>>
Speak
>>
Act like their opinion matter.
Also LOLSORETRO pixelshit.
>>
>>331769573
Shill their game on /v/ nonstop
>>
>>331769573
The worse their game is, the more convinced they are of their artistic genius that no one understands.
>>
File: WrE4JVQ.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
WrE4JVQ.gif
2 MB, 480x270
They're in it for money these days, just like any big AAA studio. The games made with heart and soul, the ones made with passion, are scarce in the current market.

Indie devs have to make themselves an exception to the shittiness, rather than the shittiness being the exception.

Look at Terraria, and how much that game is celebrated. I love the game to death, and you can tell that it was made with love. It's not the best that indies could make though if they put more effort in. Nobody wants to do that though.
>>
Faux philosophy and social commentary that revolves and is dwelling inside their video games. It just turns me off on paying for something that lectures me about being privileged. Not all indie developers are like this, but there are many that are. Even the developers that don't put it into their games but spew stupid messages, I won't support with my money.
>>
>MAIN GAME PART #1 - 9,99$
>MAIN GAME PART #2 DLC - 2,49$
>MAIN GAME PART #3 DLC - 2,49$
>END GAME DLC - 4,99$
>>
They are just jealous that devs are working their dream job, while they are working a dead end 9-5 job or unemployed
>>
I bet a bunch of people in this thread are going to post generalizations without citing what they're talking about.

Wait, it's happening right now:
>>331771879
>>331771194
>>331769794
>>331769691
>>
why does no one ever talk about doujin game makers when ever they talk about indie devs?
>>
>>331773278
Brianna Wus game, Her Story, Fez (Phil Fish), Titan Souls developer, Killing Floor 2 Developers (Tripwire). These are just off the top of my head. I am poster >>331771879

If you want AAA examples we have games like Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age Inquisition which didn't actually start with social commentary and faux philosophy. Now both installments have plenty.
>>
>>331769573
Make games for other people
Have opinions they don't like
>>
>>331773278
Not to mention Borderlands 1 and 2. There's a bunch of games and developers who put in social commentary and stupid "philosophy". I'd like a refutation on how I'm wrong now. And note I said I would not support them with my money, so please, find something.
>>
>>331769573
Twitter meltdowns

I blame Phil "Choke on my half-inch dick" Fish.
He kind of solidified the perception that indie devs are hipster, pompous dickwads.
>>
>>331769573
Actually it's about ethics in videogame journalism
>>
>>331769794
>watch Yandevs more recent videos to see how it came along since he stopped posting on /v/
>talks to himself imitating a girl asking really stupid questions every 5 seconds
>close out

Why
>>
>>331774089
He's autistic anon. Why do you think he posted on /v/ in the first place? It's a meeting room for the mentally ill and defected.
>>
>>331771682
>terraria
Surely you have a better example of games "made with love" than fucking Terraria.
Iconoclasts maybe. Made by 1 dude through sheer determination. But Terraria?
>>
>>331769573
/v/ only focuses on shitty devs and ignores any good devs because they can't shit post about them.
>>
>>331774580
Most good devs aren't talked about 24/7 because people actually play their games
>>
Ako > Riko
>>
They're pretentious and act entitled.
>>
>>331774830
>Most good devs aren't talked about 24/7 because people actually play their games
Bullshit. I can find a Dark Souls thread every time I come on /v/.

In before you try to imply from software is bad. Fuck off.
>>
God complex.
>>
>>331775819
From Soft is awful.
>>
>>331774914
The teacher is best girl anyway
>>
>>331769573
did the guy in the anime ever fuck his sisters?
>>
>>331769573
We don't. It just happens that as a general rule they are shit, but when they aren't we're smart enough to realize that. Divinity OS is an indie that comes to mind that was well received.
>>
>>331769573
/v doesn't hate indie developers, /v hate shitty developers like ubisoft.
>>
File: 1445840581650.jpg (219 KB, 940x705) Image search: [Google]
1445840581650.jpg
219 KB, 940x705
is there a way to do early access right? I have a game idea but I'd like to build it from feedback because of how the gameplay works.
>>
>>331769573
>make shitty walking simulator/pixelshit platformer
>act like you just invented a new genre and made a masterpiece
>sell it for over 15$
>act like a complete dumbfuck on every social media out there
>viral and shill the shit out of your turd game
>act surprised when everyone on the internet hates you
Gee I wonder
>>
>>331776387
According to /v/? No. According to the general public? Yes, just release updates and work on the game.
>>
>>331769573
They don't follow through and deliver on their promises.

The ones that do are highly praised here
>>
>>331776387
What's the difference between early access and AAA studios giving access to a beta right before release if you preorder?
>>
>>331776387
Why not just release a short demo and go based off that. Tbh if it's your first game there's no point in releasing it for a cost. You'd spend more money than you make in most cases. Take a safe route and release a free game to see how people like your style and ideas and go from there.
>>
>>331769573
>self righteous
>smug
>shallow
>greedy
>pink hair
>pixelated shit
>2d
>made with RPG maker
>sold for over 15$

Why are indie developers always over coddled retard millennials?

>I made this game magically special YOU HAVE TO BUY IT I WORKED HARD ON IT NO IM NOT FIXING ANYTHING I DONT OWE YOU ANYTHING YOU SHOULD BE GRATEFUL
>>
>>331777385
Anon you might want to spend less time on /v/ and more time outside /v/ cause that's the general type of indie developers that /v/ posts about.
>>
>>331773489
Doujin games are usually done for fun over profit.
>>
>>331777063
Because if you release a demo /v/ will call it shit for lack of content and call you a lazy cunt.
>>
File: fat-cat.jpg (17 KB, 400x336) Image search: [Google]
fat-cat.jpg
17 KB, 400x336
>>331769573
They are either lazy and make shit games or pretentious and make shit games.
>>
>>331777531
Read the OP.
>>
>>331769573

>what do indie developers do wrong that makes /v/ hate them?
They got popular.
>>
>>331769794

Hey /v/, have you bought Stardew Valley yet!
>>
I have nothing against Indie developers. If they make games I enjoy, then even better.
>>
>>331771879
You should want to kill yourself for being privileged though. What are you waiting for?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.