[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are mechanical keyboards a worthy investment? I know they don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: 1442710502707.jpg (171 KB, 537x800) Image search: [Google]
1442710502707.jpg
171 KB, 537x800
Are mechanical keyboards a worthy investment?

I know they don't improve your capabilities and are moreso for typing, but my fingers get fatigued after playing games for so long. I need to push keys hard for them to register when I'm sure there's a better way.

Any advice?
>>
could try red switches for your weak ass fingers.
>>
>>331766958

What I meant was I start typing on my Logitech G102 or whatever and it's like my fingers sink down, so I push them harder than I want. I want a more resistive key press.
>>
If you spend all day writing stuff down, you'll want a good pen.

Likewise, if you spend all day on your computer, a good keyboard is a sound investment.

I personally use cherry mx blacks, which are pretty tough. It makes typing... enjoyable? in a weird way.

Definitely recommend it. Unfortunately you'd have to be lucky to something real cheap, so do a bit of research on what type of switch you want to use.
>>
i've had a das keyboard s ultimate since 2010 and it's still operating perfectly.

have you considered getting off your arse, going to a store and trying out a keyboard? buying a human interface device without trying it first is a dubious gamble
>>
>>331766787
Maybe you should work on strengthening your fingers.

If you play games frequently and your fingers haven't gotten stronger merely through routine then you've got some retarded fingers, faggot.
>>
>>331767427
That's a pretty poor comparison. What pen you use would make no difference to the amount of time you can write without getting fatigued or a hand cramp.
>>
File: le shiggy face.jpg (23 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
le shiggy face.jpg
23 KB, 250x250
>>331768235
>What pen you use would make no difference to the amount of time you can write without getting fatigued or a hand cramp
>>
>>331768376
Are you baiting or are you seriously fooled by placebo?
>>
There's that rule of things between you and the earth should always be of top quality.

Always spend extra to get great sheets, mattress, tires, shoes.

But with gaming, or watching movies extensively? A good chair, or keyboard, or even headphones - these things are good investments 'cause the amount of time you'll spend using them. Why go cheap if that's what you spend your free time doing?
>>
>>331768056
dis nigga is right

if anything you should have become MORE dexterous because of using keyboards for years
>>
>>331768886
Because the price between a regular keyboard and a "gaming" keyboard is outweighed by any "improvements" it gives.
>>
>>331768690
after a while you get a callous

also carpal tunnel syndrome, apparently
>>
>>331768690
You're literally retarded, m8. No two ways about it.
>>
File: 14562304268370.jpg (155 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
14562304268370.jpg
155 KB, 1280x853
I noticed no change when switching to mechanical keyboard at all in my typing or gaming performances (I program and play CS:GO). Typing felt weird at first though. I think there is not much of practical reason to buy mechanical keyboard unless you just want good new keyboard or enjoy clicking sounds.
>>
>TAKTIKTAKTAKTIKTIKTAK
>Don't mind me guy, just using my awesome new MECHANICAL keyboard. Only plebs don't use them
>>
I like my mechanical keyboard. Just get a basic one though, not an EXTREME PRO GAMER L337 KEYBOARD. You're never going to need fucking backlit keys or a billion extra macro keys or anything like that.
>>
>>331769285
Maybe if you have baby hands and suddenly go from barely writing to spending all day doing it. Your body will adapt to whatever you're doing since like >>331768056 said, the muscles will get stronger just from use.

As for the callous specifically, I can only offer my own anecdotal experience. When I first started playing a lot of PC games I got a callous on my wrist from my hand not being used to rubbing against the mousepad so much. Eventually it went away and now I can play however long I want without it coming back.
>>
>>331768690
>placebo
>not marketing
Fucking memers
>>
>>331769534
>there is only one type of switch
>>
>>331768235
Clearly you've never spent any serious amount of time writing, the pen males a huge difference.
>>
>>331766787
You can try linear keyboards since they are very light in terms of keypresses.

I just can't speak to gaming on mechanical keyboards cause I mainly use controller, but using a relatively stiff key like the greens in call of duty isn't bad, but every once and a while the need for a rapid button press is a bit slow. I'm not gonna claim that's the reason for messing up or anything. My enjoyment in FPS isn't realistically diminished or compromised. For typing I think mechanical keyboards are amazing and absolutely worth it (buckling springs, clears, and greens).

I'd say you take the upside in typing and don't really take any downside in gaming.
>>
>>331769601
Are you legitimately retarded? Believing there's a difference because marketing told you so is the same as believing that sugar pill is some miracle medicine because the doctor told you so.
>>
I haven't heard a good argument for mechanical keyboards other than feels. and comfort? are there mini pillows installed on each key? Are you faggots liberal hippies or something?

I type roughly 110 WPM and use a membrane keyboard that lights up and has a ton of macros. There is literally no advantage for mechanical keyboards
>>
>>331766787

Try reds or browns.

Reds are a smooth motion, browns a smooth with a very light click where the key activated.
>>
>>331766787
Mechanical keyboard are only good for their lower actuation point (makes typing feel lighter because you don't have to press all the way) and is made of better parts if you're not buying some razer shit.
>>
File: slide-1-image.jpg (447 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
slide-1-image.jpg
447 KB, 1920x1080
>not gaming on the classiest of keyboards
>>
>>331769661
Every single one of my rough drafts for all of my papers through uni was handwritten. So I would do a lot of writing inconsistently and still had no problem using dollar store pens.
>>
>>331769784
NICE meme
>>
>>331766787
>not just getting a $3 keyboard and $2 mouse from Ebay

Faggot
>>
>>331770212
here is where you're wrong. You do actually need a mouse with a decent DPI or else moving around in a FPS is a pain. Maybe spend $20 on the mouse because you certainly are overpaying above that.
>>
>>331769960
what will hipsters think of next
>>
>>331770313
Not him but I'd go around $50 for a mouse since that makes a fairly noticeable difference. The zowie fk is relatively cheap and pretty good.
>>
>>331766787
Depends what games you play.

Trying to play CTF on zandronum on my blue clickies makes my hand ache. But they're amazing for typing.
>>
>>331769960
*dips quill*
>>
>>331769828
Its all about preferences. I like my smooth non-clicking reds over a standard keyboard. Does it change my perfomance? Maybe if I need to mash something really fast, otherwise not at all
>>
>>331768690
>He doesn't write with a fountain pen
Get your weak shit outta here boi
>>
>>331771219

As a leftie, fountain pens are suffering.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.