[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metroidvania thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: whatt year is it.png (168 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
whatt year is it.png
168 KB, 1920x1080
What are you playing?

What are you looking forward to?

What is your biggest disappointment recently?
>>
for such a fkn fun game it really had some incomprehensible and retarded story/writing
>>
any metroidvania I can play on linux?
aside from emulation
>>
Just got Super Metroid on N3DS I'm so bad at platformers and things with platforming elements though.
I've been trying to finish original Metroid guideless for a couple of days now and it's so hard.
I've got portrait of ruin that I really wanna replay too.
>>
>>331765875
there should be a linux tag on steam, although i know their search function is not the best
>>
>>331765160

Going through La-Mulana again for the under 10 hours playthrough by using a speed run video as a guide. Half because I want to play it again and half because the sequel is coming later this year.

I've only got about ~20 minutes left. I'm on the last mini-boss in the Dimensional Gate before Tiamat.
>>
>>331765820
It wasn't incomprehensible. Just a bit confusing the first time around. Collecting all the notes helps a good amount too.

What bothered me was the shear amount of weapons that were worthless and had no reason to be used over the first weapon.
>>
File: image.jpg (864 KB, 2149x3035) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
864 KB, 2149x3035
Rabi-Ribi is a fun Touhouvania. Might consider speedrunning it for fun, as long as it doesn't become a chore.
Taking my time, but I WANT the Platinum Speedrun cheevo.
>>
>>331766140
PoR is good fun. I enjoyed it immensely.
>>
File: ogpzAm.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
ogpzAm.gif
2 MB, 400x225
Playing Pirate's Curse for the first time, it's pretty easy but I like the humor a lot. Very welcome for an otherwise self-serious genre.

Also the abilities really improve upon RR a lot.
>>
Is there a comprehensive list of worthwhile metroidvanias out there?
>>
>>331767679
there's a /v/ image with a tier list, all i remember is it has La Mulana, Castlevania SOTN, and Super Metroid as the holy trinity.
>>
Strider is a pretty decent Metroidvania.
>>
Anyone tried Pharaoh Rebirth? How is it?
>>
>>331768354
bumpan this, want to know if i should blow the rest of my steam monies on it.
>>
Where's the love for salt and sanctuary?
>>
Beat bunny must die, it was fun.

Just watched the trailer to Slain, it's tagged as a metroidvania on steam but it was hard to tell just from the trailer, looks more like volgarr the viking or something. EIther way it looks pretty good.
>>
File: Ori and the Blind Forest.jpg (84 KB, 535x640) Image search: [Google]
Ori and the Blind Forest.jpg
84 KB, 535x640
Find a flaw.
>>
File: La-Mulana2.jpg (148 KB, 680x544) Image search: [Google]
La-Mulana2.jpg
148 KB, 680x544
>>331766348
What the fuck are you doing, I got both the under 10 hours and the no sub weapons hard mode achievement on my second run, good luck with that 20 minute window
Also La Mulana 2 fucking when hurry up Nigoro ree
>>
>>331769980
The combat.

I love Ori but the combat is mediocre at best, don't embarrass yourself trying to defend it.
>>
>>331770440
I should never have played La Mulana. I can never enjoy any other Metroidvania again.
>>
File: 1455588251335.jpg (3 MB, 2000x7800) Image search: [Google]
1455588251335.jpg
3 MB, 2000x7800
>>331767679
>>331767994
YOU RANG?!
>>
>>331770440

No, I mean 20-30 minutes of the game left. I'm at ~2 hours 45 minutes total with in-game time. All I have left to do is beat the last miniboss, then Tiamat. After that it's just the mantra puzzles + Mother.
>>
>>331770820
>Megaman ZX a metroidvania
Out
>>
>>331766348
I couldn't like La Mulana. Not with those awful controls.

Everything else was neat, though.
>>
>>331769980
they released a stupid fucking definitive edition with no upgrade path
>>
>>331770969

They weren't too terrible. It took me a while to get used to, but eventually it felt just ok.

I can't play Dark Souls for the same reason. The game plays like ass to me and I don't understand why /v/ likes it so much other than DUHH LOOK AT ME PLAY HARD GAME U CASUAL ME HARD
>>
>>331770820
what's the game next to SOTN and Super Metroid?
>>
>>331770820
>Dawn of Sorrow in god tier
Get the fuck outta here with that. At best, it's only good tier.
>>
>>331771106
Guess it's the same reason; /v/ got used to DS controls. You didn't. I tried to get used to LM's controls and couldn't.

I just hate when you have no control over your jumps and when you fall in retarded directions whenever you get hit.
>>
>>331770969
I found the game is way too cryptic for it's own good
>>
>>331770908
It is though
>>
>>331771478
Maybe it's different in advent but the game felt more like your usual Z just with an empty world for a stage select
>>
>>331770820
Finally a proper ranking of Dawn

And then I see this post >>331771184
That's more like the hi/v/emind I know that vehemently shits on this amazing game
>>
>>331770820
>No terraria
>>
>>331772443
Dawn is good, yes, but nowhere near as good as Aria. For one thing, they tied a level up system to souls, for literally no reason. And they gave you the ability to make weapons out of souls, making for more grinding for that 100%. And of course, the touchpad mechanics for ending every boss fight. It's not shit, mind you, but it's a bit intrusive and doesn't really have a reason for being there, aside from being a touchpad mechanic.
Not to go into the story, but the villains were boring, and their motivation for reviving Dracula felt really weak, not to mention the whole "being born the same day as Drac's death" was proven pointless in Aria, so to retread that plotpoint made the overall story worse.

Dawn isn't shit, I actually really enjoy it. But, it's certainly not god tier.
>>
>>331770820
Is that new Ribi Rabi game actually that good? The art in the gameplay looks like shit and I heard the "story" was shit too. Is it a good game at least?
>>
>>331773329
it got animu ass
>>
>>331773329
No it just gets it's dick rode by weebs.

Some random faggot added it to god tier for some reason, the original doesn't have it.

https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/ZN40Sw3C-YBDZ141pKyZyw/
>>
File: stdrt 2016-03-20 13-01-17-97_1.jpg (109 KB, 1348x1080) Image search: [Google]
stdrt 2016-03-20 13-01-17-97_1.jpg
109 KB, 1348x1080
>>331765160
Environmental Station Alpha
I wonder why it's never mentioned because it's fucking good.

It's the usual formula until you beat the normal game then turns into La Mulana light in the post game (which will probably take the most time).
I'm calling it "light" because it's not as cryptic as La Mulana but enough to make you feel super smart when you figure things out.
Taking notes is pretty much required, following a guide isn't and that's why I love it.
>>
>>331773514
>>331773540
The bullet hell bosses could be fun. I'm just looking for someone who's maybe played it. Sure the portait art is sexy-ish, but so was nep and that wasn't fun grindy != fun
>>
>>331773746
The art (as in background and levels) is disgusting and it's super weaboo, bosses are fun but they weren't worth having to go through everything else for me.
>>
Are any of these good?
Odallus
Mystik Belle
Exile's End
Pharoah Rebirth
Apotheon
Slain!
>>
>>331770820
why is circle of the moon so high on everyone's list? The mandatory grinding to kill dracula sucked
>>
>>331770820
Is Valdis Story good? Somehow I've never even heard about it.
>>
>>331775467
worth a look at least
>>
>>331768354
>>331768908
there's a freeware version. try that first.
>>
>>331770820
>Dawn of Sorrow above Portrait of Ruin
Unacceptable.
>>
>>331774438
Odallus is passable, it's like a worse classicvania. Apotheon feels like an iPhone-tier game- terrible combat system with terrible controls, terrible visual style...
>>
File: ass.png (206 KB, 1286x746) Image search: [Google]
ass.png
206 KB, 1286x746
>>331774438
Mistik Belle is a weird game, it's more like a sidescrolling point and click game than a metroidvania. I like it though.
>>
>>331769980
>shit combat
>instant death escape sections
>dark souls, you will die alot bullshit (though save system helps with this)
>missable exp/upgrade items
>horrible skill system that was 90% useless

I did enjoy the game but it has flaws, several of them. It's probably the prettiest metroidvania game I've ever played though.
>>
>>331769980
1. Locking you out of your save file once you beat the game. Thus not allowing for further exploration/completion.
2. Missable colectibles in cut off areas.
3. Fucked-up saving system. Game allows you to save manually at save points, create temporary checkpoints. And on top of it all autosaves you over your own manual save.

Combine all 3 and you get a recipe for a shitty metroidvania experience. Even with al the fancy backgrounds, animations and tigh controls. It still leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth.
> inb4 they fixed that with patches.
I don't care. I've already finished the game. No desire to play again.
>>
I really liked Super metroid and Axiom verge overall. But it annoys me to no end that you have to drill/scan/blast every tile in every room the first time you play if you want to find all the secret upgrades/passages. Especially since some of those hidden tiles required for beating the game. And Axiom verge doesn't even show secrets on minimap.
What am I doing wrong? How do I enjoy this aspect of those games?
>>
>>331771175
La-mulana
>>
I've been out of the loop, has the Ori DLC been released yet? How is it?
>>
Anyone know when the next La Mulana update is gonna happen>
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.