[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you playing Grim Dawn? Fucked around with it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: 2013-4-10_slith02_lrg.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
2013-4-10_slith02_lrg.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
Why aren't you playing Grim Dawn? Fucked around with it for a few hours last night. It's everything that ARPG's are meant to be.
>>
>>331751821
Arpgs aren't worth investing time. They are too easy and too grindy.
>>
I really liked it, but for now I´m not that interested in playing it. Maybe if I find someone to coop with like a bunch of years ago with Titan quest. That was just the best shit.
>>
I don't play meme games
>>
>>331751821
I dont like this old school combat system that D2, grim dawn and PoE use where you get locked into every animation

Diablo 3 combat should be the norm
>>
>>331751821
It's ok but PoE consumes all my ARPG attention
>>
>>331752195
Elaborate pls
>>
>>331752451
D3 is the only ARPG that has combat that feels really smooth. Going between attacks is responsive and you can move freely. The skills also work better and are more 'free' than their equivalents in older ARPG games.

In comparison the old school style of combat is often clunky, you get long animations that lock you in place, cant be cancelled mid way, and in the case of D2 that very outdated movement system.

You honestly just have to play D3 to feel what I mean. Its just a lot smoother. D3s skill/stats/items are utter shit though, im only praising the actual combat itself, not all the stuff around it.
>>
because my backlog is yuuuge
i only got around to free Van Helsing Final Cut that had been sitting in my backlog for awhile. maybe by summer sale season
>>
>>331752764
Rolling smooth in a pile of shit isn't enjoyable
>>
I tried playing PoE, why is the talent system so fucking boring? It's only stat bonuses as far as I can see atleast, you get the Abilities from fucking gems in your armor.
>>
>>331752764
>its a please come back to D3 shill post
get out.
>>
I've played it pretty much non stop till I got to ultimate. Then it just got too boring and tedious.
>>
>>331752451
just play d3
its seamless but still garbage in every aspect that isnt the "feel" of attacking
>>
>>331753251
Its pretty enjoyable if you prefer more viseral and engaging combat

>>331753268
D3 is a pile of shit.

But its combat is good, and I enjoy it a lot.

So no, dont play D3. Just know these other developers need to stop using outdated combat systems.
>>
File: 1450357657025[2].jpg (137 KB, 780x1040) Image search: [Google]
1450357657025[2].jpg
137 KB, 780x1040
>>331751821
Such a typical PC exclusive genre.

The combat is absolute shit, but you have to do hundreds of hours of it.
All so you can "enjoy" copying a build off the internet and min-maxing it further by doing spreadsheets and number crunching.
>>
>isomemetric shit

n-no thanks
>>
>>331753747
>wah, I am forced to look up a guide
>I don't know how to have fun anymore
>I simply HAVE to be the best

fucking please, thats your own damn fault retard.
>>
>>331751821
But I am.
I think I found almost every single piece of legendary gear except for the ones I need.
>>
>>331755210
Is the fighting here interactive? I dont see you having too many skills, seems mostly passives.
>>
>>331751821
>quest tracker
>hotbar
>enemy health bars
Looks shit. Also from that screenshot I have difficulty even believing it's even an action RPG.
>>
>>331752764
I've played D3 and I still don't understand what you mean. The combat in GD is very fluid. All you have to do is hover your mouse over the enemy while holding down your button and your character will automatically move to the target and start attacking. I don't understand how it gets much more fluid than that.

The combat in D3 at high levels seems so trivial. I see people just zerging through dungeons and mass AOEing everything down. Don't even need to stop and just pull packs of mobs, you just zerg through everything because the gear is so OP.
>>
I felt the game to be very boring and uninterested. Ugly armor, basically the whole map is some sort of farmland or grass area. I don't like the artstyle or graphics either and it's mostly meant as a single player game. I had hopes for this, it's not bad but it's not good.
>>
>>331756334

I guarantee that happens in GD as well. People figure out how to make broken builds. It's part of the genre.
>>
>>331753747
>The combat is absolute shit, but you have to do hundreds of hours of it.
That's the whole point of an ARPG. They're meant to be 90% about combat. And the combat is very fluid. I'm not sure you've played the same game I have.
>>
>>331756660
I just know I'm having fun with GD.

I don't get it. Everyone slammed D3 from day one saying it doesn't deserve to carry the Diablo name and all this and it's such a let down and piece of crap. But when competition comes around people all a sudden do a 180 and start defending it to their dying breath.
>>
>>331756687
I havent played this game at all, I am talking about the genre as a whole.
Only PC gamers can enjoy doing bad combat for hundreds of hours, and in the downtime do math to see which boots to wear to the cave today.
>>
>>331756825

Oh I don't really like Diablo 3 either. I'm a PoE guy, which has filled the niche for me pretty well.

I accept that the game has changed a ton since release and that more people like it now, though.

I might go to GD if I get bored with PoE, but I've been messing around with Median XL and it's been fun. Really hard, too.
>>
>>331756017
Depends how you build, some people like to have a lot of skills even if some are very situational (and some are designed to be that way like Nullification) but I prefer having less skills that I use all the time. I tried playing around with thermite mines and mortar but they were just not cutting it unless I built around them so Flashbang and Cannister Bomb it is for me!

The things that make playing even with only a few skills fun is the amount of stuff you can attack to your attacks, I'm a ranged crossbow guy but every single hit affects an entire squad of enemies. there's lightning and ice meteors falling from the sky, bouncing off enemies, create tornadoes of elemental damage while poisoning, burning and electrocuting them.
>>
>>331757550
devotions are a gift from god to mankind, i think is the best new mechanic of any arpg ever
>>
>>331757550
>>331758245
Agreed.
>>
>>331756825
Because they bought it.
What kind of person buys something and calls it shit right after?
>>
It's really not though. The core gameplay (aka the actual hacking and slashing of enemies) feels weak and unfulfilling.
>>
I don't like how materials don't drop on mobs that are way below your level range. They could've just significantly lowered its drop rate instead.
I don't like how the dungeon maps are fixed with random blockades because it becomes a winding corridor map and it doesn't feel right.
>>
File: Pistol wizard.webm (3 MB, 786x442) Image search: [Google]
Pistol wizard.webm
3 MB, 786x442
>>
>>331758992
i put grimdawn in second place after diablo 3 for gameplay impact. it feels amazing when you kill a horde of skeletons and you see the bones flying all over the screen, and the ragdolls are pretty great.
i really think you dont know what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>331758902
A person capable of admitting they've made a mistake? I didn't just "buy" Guild Wars 2, I prepurchased it for three days earlier access to content to get ahead of all the other players and the game was such a steaming fucking pile of shit that I dropped it in less than a week. I've made a terrible mistake and this to this day serves as a reminder to never buy into 'hype'.
>>
Is there a dead body of grills like Diablo 2? I love knowing those cute grills get raped and murder by beasts.
>>
File: whatthefuckarewelookingat.png (92 KB, 224x288) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuckarewelookingat.png
92 KB, 224x288
>>331759482
wat
>>
>>331759585
I take it as no then.
>>
There is too many different words for the same shit, its trying to be 'deep' but all it does is confuse the player, even someone with lots of experience in arpgs.

You have armor piercing for example, without a way to tell exactly if its more efficient than another weapon with more damage but with no piercing.

You have bleed and trauma.
You have lightning damage and electrocute.

And many others things that are just confusing at best.
The itemization is the same, with weird bonuses, and devotion system is just a way to fuck your build over before you actually understand the mechanic and are able to refund the points you invested. Yes, some of the proc on hit skills are fun, but they both feel like small bonuses rather than an expansion of your build.
The UI for the devotion tree is horrible.

I'm saying all this while I loved playing TQ back in the days.
GD is okay-ish at best.
>>
File: ARGH.jpg (111 KB, 424x565) Image search: [Google]
ARGH.jpg
111 KB, 424x565
>all these pop-up turrets in Bastion of Chaos
HOLY FUCK
PISS OFF
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.