[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Behold... The worst "puzzle" in all of gaming.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: PdO6ZhK[1].png (359 KB, 804x593) Image search: [Google]
PdO6ZhK[1].png
359 KB, 804x593
Behold...

The worst "puzzle" in all of gaming.
>>
>game about thinking out logic puzzles

>timed section
>the puzzles are randomly generated
>and placed in random locations
>with puzzles you aren't familiar with yet
>success heavily dependent on luck
>some puzzles generated are literally impossible, and you have to fail them to reset them
>can't pause

great game, glad I pirated
>>
>>331716771
>some puzzles generated are literally impossible

How was this done?
>>
>>331716187
>implying this wasn't the funnest part of the game
what's the matter, too hard?
>>
>>331717012
When you fail a puzzle in this segment, it darkens out - you have to go complete the previous puzzle again in order to light it back up, in which case the puzzle will be reset. Part of the challenge of this section is quickly figuring out if a puzzle is solvable or not, and resetting it if it isn't.

>>331717187
It was fun at first, but I feel it was a little too difficult / went on a bit too long. The random placements of some things (particularly the triangle puzzles in the maze) made it feel like I just got lucky when I succeeded, rather than I was skilled or creative or intelligent.
>>
What did the boards over the doorways denote? Like I did this gauntlet and still don't know.
>>
The only time a puzzle is unsolvable is during the sets of three where you have to identify the solvable one and do it. However you can get really abnormally hard puzzles that wall you elsewhere.
>>
>>331716187
Why did you play past the Elevator ending?
>>
>>331717753
They moved in time with the music, that's about as much as I could figure out. Maybe they were trying to tell the player that things are based on a time limit? For the longest time I thought they would determine the layouts of the boards as they turned on, so I spent a shitload of time trying to time things juuuuuuust right.
>>
>>331717753
They're just timers
>>
>>331717939
>elevator
>ending

Literally 100% of the game's plot is hidden in this area.
>>
>>331716771
>some puzzles generated are literally impossible
pretty sure that in the part with 3 puzzles at once 2 were supposed to be impossible and only one was solveable
>>
>>331718026
Oh, I thought they were supposed to hint at something. Oh well.
>>
>>331718278
>>331717785
Huh, I guess I jsut got unlucky hard ones and never bothered to solve them. I assumed it could give you impossible ones as an extra "test"
>>
>>331716187
But that's not molyneaux's sphere challenge
>>
>>331717493
nigga the triangle positions are given to you
>>
>>331718913
What

How

What Sorcery is this
>>
>>331718976
the fourth puzzle you do is a map to that room. you follow the solution and do triangle puzzles at the dots.
>>
>>331718976
the labyrinth puzzle at the beginning is a map of the labyrinth at the end
>>
>>331716187
This puzzle is only bullshit if you haven't developed an intuitive understanding of the game rules. The only ways for that to happen are if you pussied out and used a guide, relied heavily on pen and paper, or guessed on most puzzles.

In other words, git gud. Took me less than an hour.
>>
File: 1368778040087.jpg (168 KB, 1407x956) Image search: [Google]
1368778040087.jpg
168 KB, 1407x956
>>331719026
Oh my fucking god
>>
File: 1456198632451.png (668 KB, 624x655) Image search: [Google]
1456198632451.png
668 KB, 624x655
>Get to The End
>"Make the puzzles harder" is confused with "make the puzzles visually obnoxious"

Yeah I get it
It's flashing and spinning and shit
>>
>>331719186
kek

it's ok i didn't know you could make the line go faster (ps4) until after i beat the challenge
>>
>>331717493
But I think there is skill involved in the challenge
Your approach is just flipped on its head.
Using your experience from the previous few hundred puzzles youve done, its easy to identify the puzzle solution by recognizing the patterns inherent to that type of puzzle.
Also memorizing the maze and triangle puzzle positions is an interesting challenge (to me)

There is certainly some luck involved but you can offset any disadvantage from a shitty maze or tricky puzzles by literally getting good. Isnt that the point?
>>
>>331719526
I actually had no idea that the maze and triangle puzzle were related to the dot puzzle earlier. I feel like if they were placed closer together I would have made the connection, but It just never occurred to me. That combined with the fact that puzzle locations appeared randomly before made me think that I just had to deal with them being random in that area too.

I feel like either they should have been closer together to help encourage a link, or that NOT making the link should have cause failure much sooner, as otherwise it feels like you're doing the right thing (even though you aren't)
>>
Never has any game or puzzle made me so mad and miserable when succeding.

After like 3 fucking hours I finally finishes, pressed alt f4 as fast I couls and deleted the shit.

Do you know that emptiness after finishing a game? It was the opposite, I wad full of rage
>>
>>331721116
Ill admit it took me a while to make the connection, but the yellow floor of the big room helped me know it was involved somehow.

I think they are spaced out to make it harder to reference the key, but there is definitely a awkward space between them I agree.
But some people make the connection easily, and some dont. Its got to be pretty tricky to design it in a way that accomodates everyone. Thats just a thought though, im not trying to make excuses for the designer.
>>
>>331722448
What, you don't like ten minutes of a guy talking about radio shack as a reward?
>>
No that goes to getting into the lighthouse puzzle at the beginning of bioshock infinite
>>
File: ZPhukSw[1].png (1 MB, 1182x860) Image search: [Google]
ZPhukSw[1].png
1 MB, 1182x860
I've been staring at this fucking pillar for an hour now, and am about to call bullshit
>>
File: 1NMZvtp[1].png (33 KB, 426x357) Image search: [Google]
1NMZvtp[1].png
33 KB, 426x357
>>331723842
Still stuck. Please someone convince me this isn't impossible. I even made a shitty photoshop mockup of it to try and figure it out.
>>
>>331723842
>>331725261

git gud
>>
>>331725261

You draw it wrong. I can even see it from the other image, not hard dude
>>
>>331723842

I remember that pillar taking me the longest out of all the pillars.

Just remember that if you ever make a dead-end (a dot you need to cross with only one path leading to it) then you've already failed and you need to go back and do something different.
>>
>>331725689
Did I draw it wrong? I've checked a bunch and I'm pretty sure I've got it right, but maybe i fucked up
>>
>>331723842
For the column ones I pretty much just guessed, my brain shut down on those. I was able to make some progress logically though; for that one I think the first step is to be sure you're starting at the right circle.
>>
>>331725796
Yeah, I know soon as a dot gets sectioned off, it's fucked, but I can't figure out how to NOT make that happen. Every pattern I've tried alienates at least one. I'm starting from the left-most circle, as the right seems to fuck one dot over right at the start and the center is useless(?)
>>
>>331726020
Welp, finally got it. Wow was that unsatisfying.
>>
>>331726168
And the next puzzle is retardedly simple. What the shit is with the balance in this game?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.