[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any modern games work on this operating system? Vista seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: file.png (119 KB, 483x354) Image search: [Google]
file.png
119 KB, 483x354
Do any modern games work on this operating system? Vista seems to have caused much controversy, but left quietly. Windows 7 is allegedly built upon Vista, so I guess that means any game that can run on 7 will run on Vista?
>>
>>331666372
Most games should work but anyone running fucking vista for a home computer in current year is a retard
>>
>>331666635
But Vista was the grand daddy of the modern, big brother "I can't let you do that" operating systems that are the norm now. By definition, it is a modern OS.
>>
>>331666372
Most likely. Question is... why choose Vista?
>>
>>331666372
XP only has support for DX up to version 9
Vista only has support for DX up to version 10.
Windows 7 only has support for DX up to version 11.0
Windows 8 only has support for DX up to version 11.2
Windows 10 has support for DX up to version 12.

It should be pointed out that XP has already hit end of life and no longer receives any sort of support from Microsoft leaving it wide open. Vista is also nearly to that point and is effectively already there since Microsoft doesn't care about it. If you are still using Vista for some reason it is highly advised that you switch to another OS. Windows 7 is not a good long term solution as it is less than 4 years from its end of life and Microsoft will drop support for new hardware in less than 2 years.
>>
Why do you have a system that still has Vista on?

Upgrade to 7 or 10 already.
>>
>>331667258
>implying any games worth getting have DX11 operation.

>Windows 7 is not a good long term solution as it is less than 4 years from its end of life and Microsoft will drop support for new hardware in less than 2 years.

Good goy.
>>
>>331667390
Where did I say you need Windows 10? Its time to accept that if you don't like Windows 10 its time to look at the only real alternative. Otherwise your only option is to bend over and wait for the forced upgrade.
>>
>>331667745
>forced upgrade

Of course.
>>
>>331667978
Microsoft has started pushing out more updates that will automatically download Windows 10 and then start the upgrade without any user interaction.

Even if you somehow avoid their pressure to upgrade you have to face the fact that Microsoft is attempting to lock game devs into their UWP console/tablet app platform that will block games from coming to older versions of Windows. Plus remember that two years from now your hardware upgrade options will be severely limited, and that four years from now your system will be left wide open.
>>
>>331666901
At least UAC actually worked in 7 and didn't give you 7 prompts if you tried to open your documents
>>
>>331668324
>Microsoft is attempting to lock game devs into their UWP console/tablet app platform
Back to r/pcmasterrace with you. They aren't forcing devs to do anything and UWP has literally the same effect that Steam DRM has.
>>
>>331668324
I will go at it like this:
I'll use windows 7 for as long as I can, since I've never done a single update at all, and when the time comes that I can't proceed with it, I'll switch to Linux.
>>
>>331669187
The problem with that strategy is that's what everybody is planning to do. If everyone waits till 2020 then we're all fucked. Linux will still be that goofy 1% of the PC gaming world that gets hardly any support and Microsoft will have had years to tighten their grip on the balls of all the game devs forcing them into their new Windows 10 app ecosystem.
>>
>>331669640
How are they forcing devs into the win 10 app ecosystem? Devs that aren't owned by microsoft or aren't shitty mobile devs don't give even half a shit about having their game alongside p2w angry birds ripoff #643563
>>
>>331669640
>If everyone waits till 2020 then we're all fucked.

Linux requires more effort than Windows. No matter the amount, it just does. Therefore, the situation won't change.
>>
File: romanovs legacy.jpg (9 KB, 219x230) Image search: [Google]
romanovs legacy.jpg
9 KB, 219x230
>>331667258
Vista supports dx11
>>
>>331669747
Windows 10's app store requires the use of UWP.
To get full access to DX12 your app has to be UWP.
Some Windows 10 devices will only run UWP apps from the app store.
Microsoft has apparently been quite open about the fact that ultimately they would like to expand the number of devices that can only run UWP apps from their store possibly in the future using this as a differentiation between the less expensive home version and the pro version.

>>331669759
>Linux requires more effort than Windows.
This is the problem that the Steam Machines were created to solve. Windows only ease of use advantage is the inertia that it gets from being pre-installed on hardware.
>>
>>331670393
>Windows only ease of use advantage is the inertia that it gets from being pre-installed on hardware.

Also installing programs and Windows itself. Though that might've changed, I've not touched Linux in years.
>>
>>331670549
Installing software in Linux has been easier than Windows for a long time. If its desktop software, get it through your desktop's software installation solution (Gnome Software for instance). If its a command line app then you get it with a single command. Then you have containerized stuff which is really awesome. If its not available from one of those sources then you just grap it and run it the way you would an installer on any other platform.

Linux software management is so good Microsoft copied it.
>>
>>331670549

Installing programs on linux is easy.
Just open your package manager and search. ezpz.
>>
>>331671848
Except for games.
>>
>>331672102
You get those the same way you would on Windows through software sources like Steam, GoG, or Humble.

In Steam its exactly like it is on Windows, you click install and the game installs and then you play it.
>>
>>331672513
I was implying availability/compatibility.
>>
Daily reminder that Windows 10 is pretty damn good when you disable the tracking
>>
>>331672649
The Linux 'nogames' meme is stale. There are literally thousands of games now and major publishers like 2K, Capcom, and SquareEnix are starting to support it.

Besides what's the point of perpetuating this falsehood now? Windows is going in a direction that I doubt many of us here agree with so we should be seriously encouraging the use of alternatives while we still can. Worst case scenario is that few users switch and the current resurgence of Linux gaming dies prior to the Windows 7 EOL date and everyone is then fucked.
>>
>>331672804
>when you disable the tracking
Literally impossible. Some of the functionality is built into the kernel and does not respect the user space options. Your only real option to disable the tracking is to not allow Windows 10 direct access to the systems network hardware by running it virtualized on top of a trusted system, most typically a Linux host.
>>
>muh Linux meme
Android is the only hope against windows. It already has a bigger userbase, and when it goes into the desktop, it can gain huge traction by offering better software than on linux
>>
>>331674179
>being this dilusional
>>
>>331674529
>hasn't seen N preview

They're already beginning the move
>>
>>331666901
>But Vista was the grand daddy of the modern, big brother "I can't let you do that" operating systems

No, that was Unix.

Vista was the first version of Windows NT that had similar levels of user permissions built in, instead of giving you full admin access from the get go.
>>
>>331674179
Android is properly referred to in this context as Android/Linux. Linux developers have already experimentally succeeded in running standard Linux user spaces on top of Android. Including running Steam on top of x86 Android/Linux. Currently there are a number of differences between Android/Linux and a more standard desktop GNU/Linux with regards to drivers x11 vs egl, desktop opengl vs mobile opengl es, etc. In the near future though both will use EGL drivers and both will use Vulkan for their 3d graphics in addition to both supporting desktop GL and mobile GL ES.

So in the future a hypothetical desktop Android/Linux for x86 systems would to a game developer deploying a game for Steam would look exactly like any other GNU/Linux system. Steam already includes a bundle of userspace libraries for dealing with running on non-standard distributions of GNU/Linux in this context Android/Linux is just a bit more non-standard.
>>
7 and Vista are the same core NT version (NT 6 and 6.1)
so anything that works on 7 works on vista
>>
>>331674869
But the mainstream will just refer to it as Desktop Android, thus the Linux name will just be dropped for better brand recognition
>>
>>331675050
Technically, no. You could thank dx11 games and .net runtimes
>>
>>331675120
Regardless as with SteamOS from a developer perspective Steam for Desktop Android and Steam for Linux will be virtually indistinguishable. This is one of the major advantages open standards that can be used everywhere as opposed to proprietary single platform solutions.
>>
The only real problem with Vista today is that there are so many little annoyances you have to use third party programs and hacks to fix, especially coming from 7.

>no taskbar translucency
>no translucency on maximized windows
>no desktop picture slideshow
>no W7 style taskbar, stuck with the old inefficient classic style
>can't put a link to the downloads folder on the start menu
>no OS TRIM support (sending the command from an application is possible, but very very few applications exist to do so and it's also much less efficient than having the OS do it)

The overall aesthetic is also arguably uglier nowadays; lots of yellow green and icons that were clearly born from jealousy of early OS X. But at least you're safe from Windows 10 and it doesn't really perform worse.
>>
>>331675232

DX11 works on Vista with the platform update and all .NET runtimes except 4.6.1 work with both Vista and 7.
>>
>>331675784
True, but Vista is EOL about a year from now. So after April 11, 2017 it will likely be more dead than XP.

Face it, clinging to the past isn't going to help. Its not a good long term solution. If you don't like the way Windows is going the sooner you get off of Windows the better off you'll be.
>>
File: pilk.png (173 KB, 596x686) Image search: [Google]
pilk.png
173 KB, 596x686
>>331676184
>So after April 11, 2017 it will likely be more dead than XP
>birthday is on April 11
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (83 KB, 940x446) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
83 KB, 940x446
>>331676184

It already is more dead than XP.

>Vista is EOL about a year from now

And 7 and 8.1 have been EOL since they decided they were going to force you to use IE11 and then put adware into IE11 updates.

Besides, security updates are pretty useless anyways. If you matter you're going to be hit by a zero day, if you don't matter it comes down to program exploits and the idiotic user running this_is_not_a_virus.mp4.exe.
>>
>>331676745
I mostly agree with you. Security updates became largely meaningless once Microsoft started using them to push things other than actual security fixes like their spyware and their forced upgrade system.

Still at the same time using an OS that doesn't get security updates leaves you open not just to 0 day attacks, but also to old attacks that should have been fixed which are often the most virulent.

Just another reason to get off Microsoft platforms altogether.
>>
File: wakarimasen lol.jpg (119 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
wakarimasen lol.jpg
119 KB, 640x480
>>331677545

While I agree with you in theory, in practice most people (including myself) are willing to give up some potential privacy and safety in order to be able to plug in a printer and have it just work.
>>
>>331677545
How come people just accept the fact that Windows is becoming spyware? I mean, I thought most people got even a little apeshit when something of that sort got brought up, and yet it seems like relatively few actually give a shit.
>>
>>331677976

Snowden and the NSA happened. People realized that they're being watched every hour of every day, and so they hardened their hearts with the comforting "I'm not doing anything illegal, so I don't have anything to hide" rhetoric. Look at how many people use the faulty 'well if you wanted privacy you wouldn't be on the internet in the first place!!' argument when it comes to spying and datamining.
>>
>>331678150
>I'm not doing anything illegal, so I don't have anything to hide
are people really this fucking stupid?
>>
>>331677951
While I haven't found a need for a printer in years, printers that follow the standards and that don't require the use of scumware to work should function when plugged into a Linux system. Linux support for usb hardware today is excellent.

>>331677976
Its the boiling frog phenomenon. They're comfortable where they are and they don't notice that things are changing around them faster than they're able to react.
>>
>>331678354

They believe what they're saying, yes. Technically they aren't wrong at the point they say it either, but laws change and enforcing them at all requires a framework in place, such as an OS that can remotely delete programs that are deemed unacceptable by an overpaid man sitting in an air conditioned room a thousand miles away.
>>
>>331678835
>ch as an OS that can remotely delete programs that are deemed unacceptable by an overpaid man sitting in an air conditioned room a thousand miles away
it's sad, but we probably are moving towards something like this.
>>
>>331679175
If you use Windows 10 you're already there.
>>
Just buy a mac, it's getting more and more games and it respects your privacy.
>>
>>331679505
Unfortunately as a gaming platform OS X is behind other platforms. All video cards on it only support OpenGL 4.1 because Apple controls the drivers on the platform. Also unlike every other platform Apple is attempting to force the use of their proprietary Metal API over Vulkan.

GNU/Linux is the better choice. OS X only has more games at this point because it got Steam earlier but the library on Linux is rapidly catching up.
>>
>>331679302

Or Windows 8/8.1, or any version of OS X that includes the App Store (patched Snow Leopard and later), or any mobile device that runs Android or iOS.

>>331679505

>Spotlight will still identify your location based on your IP address even if you disable Location Services

It's dead, Jim.
>>
>>331680029
I just wish I was more handy with Linux. I've never been too bright about Operating systems in general - in the case of how to use them effectively, as I guess I'm more casual in that regard.
>>
>>331680636

Most people claim Mint is the best one for beginners. Ubuntu is alright if you remove the Amazon spyware package, although it's supposed to be removed starting with the next official release anyways. You could try one out in a VM and see if you can use it effectively at least.
>>
>>331680636

You git gud just by using it for a while.
>>
File: daggie.jpg (101 KB, 639x588) Image search: [Google]
daggie.jpg
101 KB, 639x588
>>331680928
>You could try one out in a VM and see if you can use it effectively at least
good idea. Thanks, honcho.
>>
>>331666372
I know why people never liked Vista, but I can honestly say I never had any problems with it.
>>
>>331680928
Mint is a bit problematic in its security practices.

If you use any of the spins of Ubuntu other than the Unity one it never included the spyware. For users coming from Windows I usually suggest either Xubuntu, or Ubuntu Mate both of which offer very traditional desktop interfaces.

Personally I use Ubuntu Gnome because I like its unorthodox interface that encourages keyboard use, but its definitely not for everyone.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.