[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ruins of Myth Drannor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Pool_of_Radiance_2_Map.png (143 KB, 591x416) Image search: [Google]
Pool_of_Radiance_2_Map.png
143 KB, 591x416
4chan, I do need your help. I need a game, basically, to get lost there, something, where nothing would rub me the wrong way. There was one such game, which was perfect for me in times like this. It was called "Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor" (and yes, I do know, that it's universally considered a horrendous pile of dogshit, I really loved that game though and it became very special to me, I dunno why, it just did). But I have already completed it, and starting it once again simply wouldn't work. I saw all there was to be seen in that game.

Here is what I need (and what I apparently saw in that game). I need a game, a dungeon crawler, with huge branching exploratory levels (for the first dungeon level of RoMD, it took, like, 20 hours for it to be completely cleared out - and it was a single location, no loading screens) with a minimal amount of story-related chokepoints, with absolutely minimal amounts of text of any kind (and where there is text, the less flowery and more informative it is, the better, and the less voiceover there is, the bettes), party-based (I really don't want a blobber, so either isometric, or 3D with a possibility of top-down camera) and semi-tactical (either turn-based of RtwP), on a good solid engine, which would allow for at least 60 fps, VERY smooth, with VERY responsive controls (so that your guys react immediately to any command you give them, no blown-out preparatory animations, like in Soulbringer and NWN, no huge input lags like in ToEE, nothing, if I click in order for my character to run there, he should just MFing start running there as soon as possible), with informative, non-flashy graphics and art-directions, simple, informative animations - with the additional requirement the any animated stuff should be as smooth as possible, no janky spritework (yes, IWD, I'm looking your way) anywhere ever. It should be as unpretentious as possible (and RoMD was probably the least pretentious game I've ever seen and played)...
>>
>>321647523
What's next, Daikatana worship?
>>
>>321647523
You're basically looking for Triangle Wizard.
>>
>>321647523
... no LSD-inspired AWSHUM color palette, no AWSHUM orchestral Jeremy Soule music, no wisecracking companions which just don't shut the fuck up, no "jack in the box" random encounters and edgy scripting with spawns every 5 meters, no melodrama, no "oh you will be constantly affected via poison while on this level - and now let's see how you'll deal with these fiery guys who are impossible to be reliably hit, and now this room with unavoidable trap and an endless monster spawner" (yes, Shadow Tower, I'm talking about you), nothing. Like, just you - and this huge godforsaken eerie place the insides of which you are trying to explore with no help or external guidance whatsoever, sort of like a fantasy-ish archaeologist.

Say what you will about RoMD, but I really felt, like, in some sense, I was exploring a real place, where, countless ages ago, someone lived, and now there are only bones, the wind and the echo your steps.

I really want the game that would recapture that feeling.

And no, Ultima Underworld, Pathways into Darkness, Souls series, Beyond Divinity, Arx Fatalis, Wizardry 8 are all good games to some extent, but the don't really fully fit the role of RoMD's successors for me. And I simply don't know where else to look for such a game.

So, here, this thread.

Thank you for your attention and time.
>>
>>321647778
Actually, I really liked Daikatana's 2nd and 3rd episodes (Greece and Norway), and, even though the 1st one (cyberJapan) was fucking horrendous gameplay-wise (and I was playing on Shogun difficulty as well, although, patched for saves), level-design-wise it was pretty neat and interesting.

All in all, I've seen much worse FPS games.
>>
>>321647841
Hm. Interesting. Rogue-like though...

Is it another perma-death & generated-levels kind of game? That's actually a crucial thing, that I should've written above, I can't, for my very life, stand the computer-generated levels. I need to know, that what I'm trying to explore in the game is, in one way or another, meaningful, that it was laid out, by someone, specifically that way, for some purpose or another, and is not, like, a random combination of possibilities, churned by a generator on a whim. Else I just feel like I'm wasting my time (I don't know why, but I can't help it, I need to know, that level-design of a game was set in stone by someone with some purpose in mind), which makes for me impossible to continue playing such a game.

Are levels in Triangle Wizard static and custom, are are they, in fact, generated for each... try you make at the game? And is there a traditional save system, or perma-death mechanic?
>>
^
>>
>>321649398

Dude... Did you play Sacred?
>>
>>321650958
He did say it should be party-based. If that isn't such a big requirement, the first Divine Divinity pleasantly surprised me a couple of years ago, too.
>>
>>321650958
No. Isn't it giant overworld wasteland instead of a giant labyrinth though? Not that I'm stating that it wouldn't fit the bill, but...

Also, what's with the special effects, story/quest integration, etc?
>>
>>321651516
DivDiv is a lovely (even if somewhat janky mechanics-wise) game, but I wouldn't say it's particularly close to what I'm looking for.
>>
>>321651516
Also, I did mention Beyond Divinity up above.
>>
>>321647523
Did you try naissance, op?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.