[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a video game you hated at first but ended up loving?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: 151192-Rogue_Galaxy_(USA)-2.jpg (132 KB, 300x424) Image search: [Google]
151192-Rogue_Galaxy_(USA)-2.jpg
132 KB, 300x424
What is a video game you hated at first but ended up loving?
>>
If I hate it, why would I even try it?
>>
>>331644930
My only problem with Rogue Galaxy was that the ending was terrible
>>
King's Field 4. It was the first game in the series I played, and the extremely slow pace combined with the somewhat bland environments right at the start was pretty offputting.

>>331644930
I had the opposite experience with Rogue Galaxy. It looked great at first, but the more I played it the less I liked it.
>>
Final Fantasy XIII
it's pretty alright

>>331647716
same here about Rogue Galaxy, I think I liked it at first becasue of the potential and promise I saw with it, but it fell flat halfway through and suffered from the many issues of being too easy, worlds being too big for the slow walking speed of the characters, and having pretty shit 100% completion rewards
>>
>loved Rogue Galaxy when I was younger
>they release it on PS4
>OH SHIT SON TIME FOR A REPLAY
>realize I dont actually like it at all now

The thing I loved the most about the Dark Cloud games was the sense of weapon progression and that you were constantly working towards something. Rogue Galaxy never had that feeling for me, especially when you can make the Earthshaker pretty quickly and never have a need to ever use another weapon again. I liked the characters, I did like the story, but the gameplay just feels flat for me now.
>>
I don't think that ever happened. If I hate a game early on, I just drop it and play something else.

There were many cases where the game started out promising and I liked everything about it but then ended up hating it though. Rogue Galaxy is one example.
>>
>that extra dungeon in rogue galaxy

Maybe I'll finish it over the course of 5 years
>>
File: 1444656325253.jpg (235 KB, 900x689) Image search: [Google]
1444656325253.jpg
235 KB, 900x689
I tried RE4 and quit on 3 separate occasions before I could even get passed the initial village sequence because I just could not get a feel for the controls. When I finally did muster up the patience to keep playing, the game wasn't bad. Still not anything like classic RE but at least okay.
>>
>>331648198
op here! I stopped playing Rogue Galaxy at the start. I hated the scottish robot and fucking Steve. I randomly picked it back up and actually really enjoyed it. I wish there was a lot more to it but I like the idea and it's a pretty chill game
>>
File: MYST.jpg (194 KB, 950x950) Image search: [Google]
MYST.jpg
194 KB, 950x950
On the Sega Saturn, mind you. Was painstaking to traverse the island with that shitty controller. The atmosphere was what won me over though. That vague sense of isolation and exploration was great.
>>
>>331648379
>I just could not get a feel for the controls
>not anything like classic RE but at least okay.

But RE4 still uses tank controls. I'd think it'd be pretty easy to get into
>>
>>331648496
>I stopped playing Rogue Galaxy at the start.
>I hated the scottish robot and fucking Steve

That's the fucking opening sequence. Glad you gave it a second chance and enjoyed it
>>
>>331644930
I guess I'm on the hate it phase right now. I played that game and I got bored and never played it again. Haven't played it in forever so things may have changed now
>>
>>331650087
>they made a Sega Saturn port of Myst
>they made a Phillips-CDI port of Myst
You learn something new everyday.
>>
>>331651834
Don't know what to tell you, man. Maybe it was the alternating between aiming and moving, maybe it was something else. I just couldn't get a feel for it at first. It is different than the earlier games, that's for sure. I think once I stopped thinking "Resident Evil" and started thinking "Gear of War" is when the control scheme started to make more sense to me.
>>
>>331644930
Resident Evil
>>
>intro is bland with stiff character animation
>cover mechanic seems almost non-existent
>shit writing
>shit stealth

Dues Ex HR. This was my initial impression of the game before picking it back up last year, while waiting for MGSV.

I was never more hype than hacking computers to read someone's email and sneaking past that giant mech in the basement of building that was under construction. Mgsv was going to be so great. Deus Ex HR is one of my favorite games ever now, though. More so than V.
>>
>>331653717
>Maybe it was the alternating between aiming and moving,
But that happens too in the classic games.
>>
Dragon Age Origins.
I dropped it after the first combat thinking
>The fuck is this shit?
I was expecting something like KOTOR.
I picked it up a year later and finished it. It was alright. I still hate the engine they used, the characters always looked like shit to me.
>>
Monster Hunter 3
>>
>>331653717
>I think once I stopped thinking "Resident Evil" and started thinking "Gear of War" is when the control scheme started to make more sense to me.
>Implying RE4's control scheme is anything like Gears of War
>Mfw

I really don't understand you, but ok
>>
>>331644930
FFXIII
Took over 20 hours, but I grew to really like it.
>>
File: 1777895_0[1].jpg (27 KB, 540x309) Image search: [Google]
1777895_0[1].jpg
27 KB, 540x309
The remastered Uncharted games. I played through them the first time each like a gallery shooter and was frustrated by the waiting for heads to pop out of cover and by the speed at which you're killed by certain weapons. I went on the net after beating the third looking for some gameplay discussion to soothe my butthurt and it turns out I was playing them completely wrong because:

> If you break line of sight with enemy AI they only track your last known position
> If you flank them they're now out of cover and, more often that not, choose to leave and find new cover
> I completely missed the steel-fist mechanic, where you can one-hit melee a wounded enemy
> Different enemies, like shotgun troops and heavies require blind fire
> Firing side-arms over ledges is much more fun that chest-high walls
> Most, but not all, environments are designed for choice in how you approach the fire-fight

Most of this meaning that you're supposed to play much more mobile than I had been up to that point. In fairness I think the games did a bad job at explaining that it wasn't Gears of War. Regardless, since then I've returned and platinumed UC2.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.