[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reminder and TES thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: 16985-1-1336920358.jpg (124 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
16985-1-1336920358.jpg
124 KB, 1024x768
When will you nostalgia turbonerds admit that Skyrim is the best open world TES out of the 3?
None of your "arguments" hold up.

>muh quests
Actually, Skyrim has more solutions than your boring only one possible outcome quests.
>muh combat
Skyrim just removed the unnecessary clunkiness and tedium
>muh boring linear draugr dungeons
First, there aren't only draugr dungeons. This is made up by people who never played the game. Second, they are arguably mostly the same as the previous games dungeons, you just conveniently forget this fact.
>muh immersive npcs
Walls of text and horrible voice acting aren't immersive. Also the conversations in Oblivion are just random nonsense and their schedules only serve to get them to die stupid pointless deaths whereas Skyrim npcs behave like true Nords.

Face the facts grandpas. It's time to go to the retirement home.
>>
>Actually, Skyrim has more solutions than your boring only one possible outcome quests

Let me stop you right there and say that it's all on the writing, just because a quest has multiple ways to be completed doesn't mean shit if the writing isn't good.

"Go kill this man" can be just as engaging as any branching quest as long as the writing is good

I agree with you on everything else, but i won't say that Morrowind and Oblivion's worlds are bad, it's just that between the 3, i think Skyrim is the best one (Although i have seen better worlds in other games)

Skyrim is the best in the franchise so far, that doesn't mean Oblivion and Morrowind aren't good either, they are still GOAT to me but Skyrim is just better
>>
>>331644298
Thanks, friend and I see your point on the writing. I was expecting to immediately get shitposted, but you proved me wrong. I'll take 1 thoughtful post over a 100 shitposts every day.
>>
>>331645351
Same, i just hate the /v/ syndrome where if you like one game in the series then you must hate the other ones
>>
>>331644078
Not going to even bother reading.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>331645918
Yeah, I hate the irrational hatred people have for TES. I like them all including Daggerfall which I forgot to mention.
Just getting tired about people who obviously never even played Skyrim hating and making shit up about it, not to mention ignoring all the flaws of the previous ones. Though I'm not saying Skyrim doesn't have its fare share of flaws.
>>
>>331646441
>fare
*fair obviously
>>
File: 1443134276885.jpg (48 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1443134276885.jpg
48 KB, 400x462
>>331644298
>Skyrim is the best in the franchise so far

Yeah, if the franchise started with Morrowind.
>>
>>331646441
It's trolling, anon. Everythign is trolling. You should troll too. It's fun.
>>
>>331644078
>moar solutions
"Go to X dungeon and find Y macguffin" is really the only quest
>combat
Anything's better than Morrowind's combat, sure, but between TES IV and V, spellmaking was removed, and the magic system could no longer be combined with any but one weapon type. Unarmed isn't a developed skill anymore, and so on and so on
>Not just draugr! And other games had draugr too!
First, you're right. There are draugr, bandits, draugr, falmer/automata, draugr, mages, and draugr. Second, in what other TES game were all the variety of undead replaced with ALL DRAUGR ALL THE TIME except the occasional wimpy skeleton or dragon priest? There aren't even real zombies in this
>I don't like reading!
Bitch, don't complain about well-written text not being immersive when comparing it to "WE NORDS ARR PROWD FUCK ELFS DURR HURR"
>>
I started Oblivion yesterday for the first time and so far I had a guild leader trying to get me drowned, helped a woman undo a curse that made some stinky gremlins follow her aroud and entered a painting where I fought painted trolls with turpentine.

In Skyrim that would be 2 draugr caves and 1 bandit cave.
>>
>>331647487
>Bitch, don't complain about well-written text not being immersive when comparing it to "WE NORDS ARR PROWD FUCK ELFS DURR HURR"

To be fair, people criticize comics when they include walls of text, same could be said about videogames

>"Go to X dungeon and find Y macguffin" is really the only quest
Again, just because a quest has multiple solutions or multiple paths doesn't mean shit if the writing is awful

>Not just draugr! And other games had draugr too!
Do agree, they really need to start vamping up the enemy variety, it fits the world of Skyrim but it felt boring after a while
>>
>out of the 3
>3
>>
File: Dawnguardvampirealtar.png (674 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Dawnguardvampirealtar.png
674 KB, 1366x768
>>331647487
>Second, in what other TES game were all the variety of undead replaced with ALL DRAUGR ALL THE TIME except the occasional wimpy skeleton or dragon priest?

I feel like Skyrim had an entire expansion built around other kinds of Undead though.
>>
>>331646698
>>331647801

Come on, who plays TES 1 and 2 anymore, they are basicly forgotten by now. That's being pedantic
>>
>Oblivion allows spell casting regardless of weapon and shield setup, and you can make spells
>Skyrim only allows spell casting if free handed, but does allow dual casting even though it's not a cool and funky way of combining effects and getting powerful or interesting combos; also can't create spells

Certainly could be better. They left out a lot of fun and good pieces of the game, like physic weapons being flails and shit. Also spears. And why do giants and mammoths get so pissed at you when the early game footage showed them being nicely passive until you smack them in the nose? That's just outright stupid.
>>
I bought ESO and dropped it later.Did they fix the game or is it still shit?
>>
>>331644078

I played and loved MW and OB when they were both released. I agree with this post.

I'd also like to add that I think Skyrim improved and added a lot of things to the franchise which I'm happy with. There's fewer skills, but there's way more perks. You can advance destruction into three different branches, depending if you want to play with fire, ice or shock for instance.

I do miss attributes, the removal of them sucked balls. Also, Speechcraft needs to be somehow reintroduced into the genre. Merging it with Mercantile is a good idea, but you have to implement it somehow. Take a cue from Fallout 3 and NV and have some dialogue options only available to speech masters.

Smithing was exellent tho, I like that addition. I wouldn't mind reintroduction of weapon and armor degradation, however. It'd also make smithing as a tool more useful.
>>
File: 1458589059598.jpg (151 KB, 1046x847) Image search: [Google]
1458589059598.jpg
151 KB, 1046x847
>>331646698
>its a "daggerfall is good" post
>>
File: image.jpg (865 KB, 1670x1862) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
865 KB, 1670x1862
>>331647875
>old games are good
>>
What kind of playthrough are you guys doing to keep the game fresh? I've been doing a hunter playthrough with the hunter mod, frostfall, realistic needs and diseases etc., and that's kept me going for a while. But even that is starting to get stale.
>>
It's obvious Beth started phoning it in after Oblivion. They had to make sacrifices for the presentation because people had certain expectations for next-gen titles post Morrowind, but you can see all the places where they went full lazy Jew with Skyrim. They couldn't be bothered to relicense SpeedTree. Absolutely no fucking charm. Half-assed dragon fights. Radiant garbage. You can climb that. There isn't a single quest in Skyrim half as interesting as "A Brush with Death."
>>
>>331648176
>cant combine different spells
This right here
This is the straw that broke the camals back for me. Combining different spells for unique effects would've redeemed the lower quantity of spells, redeemed the no custom spells, redeemed wasting weapon slots for spells, and hell would've even served as consolation for that shitty mages guild questline
>>
File: 1418450891867.png (1 MB, 1330x1000) Image search: [Google]
1418450891867.png
1 MB, 1330x1000
>>331644078
I'm replaying skyrim now, finished the dawnguard quest, destroyed the brootherhood, done some daedric quests, but the main quest and the guild quests are so fucking bad, i can't even bother myself to do it.

Now i'm going to solstheim to do everything that there is to do there.

I would say skyrim is the best TES, but mostly because of the gameplay.
Morrowind you are a snail, stamina is a shit system.
In oblivion you have sponge enemies that need 10 fireballs to die, also the leveling is shit and you get no useful rewards for exploring.
>>
>>331653748
>not Whodunit?
>>
>>331647487
Most of the creatures are reskinned Draugr. Bonemen, Mistmen, ash-things, skeletons, etc.

All quests were bad, roleplay is non-existent, it's just play-pretend now. consequences are basically gone. Those are the things that ruined this game.
>>
>>331644078
DOOD, EBIN BAIT! XDXDXD UPVOTED!!!!1!1!1!1!1 TROLLOLOLOL!
>>
>>331644078
Skyrim isn't the best, but it has the most ambitious and impressive mods out of the three most recent TES games.

What Skyrim really excels at outside of the ambitious mods that have been created and are being created for it is as a photography and waifu simulator.

You can take some really beautiful scenic shots if you have strong enough hardware to go all out with graphics mods. I mean like all out. Highest resolution textures you can find for everything. Grass density turned up as high as you can get it to go. Every possible shader effect you can use with ENB at their maximum.

It can still look fairly nice on old hardware, but Skyrim at its maximum is really really really beautiful.

It's too bad the actual official content of the game is so bad. The quests are inferior to their predecessors and just feel like a chore to go through after the first time you've done them.

Dawnguard was okayish but Dragonborn was without a doubt the pinnacle of the game's official content.
>>
>>331654791
>In oblivion you have sponge enemies that need 10 fireballs to die

The thing is though it really depends on the type of build you had. For example even at 100% difficulty I could 1 shot almost anything unless they had spell reflect/absorb or something that resisted my magic.

I had tons of different Weakness to Magica 100% spells that I stacked.Heck you could even make yourself invisible on cast.

>Weakness to magica/fire 100% for 50 seconds, invisibilty on self for 10sec

Something like that^
Basically different named spells but with same effect that you could make at spellamking altar could stack. I had like 6-7 of those which means my magic damage on them increased by 600%-700% and well you could basically 1 shot anything with a simple fireball. Heck you could make and stack AOE weakness spells too.

Or the alternative could be alchemy/poisons since they're not affected by difficulty or anything else(Except immunity) and at max level alchemy you could make some really good ones with little effort.

Another good alternative ofc was conjuration which honestly in Oblivion felt kinda OP. You could also buff you creature up with something like increase strength/armor and so on. Your summoned creatures were literally beasts.

Say If you played a shitty barbarian with 0 buffs/magic like in skyrim you'd definitely have problems especially on higher difficulties.
>>
>>331654791
Tes gets progressively worse like most series, casualization is making it shittier over time. Skyrim is garbage plain and simple. You also admitted to being a casual retard who cannot figure out simple mechanics.
>>
TES has great ideas with poor execution
>>
>>331656547
What if you're not playing a mage?
Nobody had a problem with Morrowind magic either, all the complains about the combat were about the miss miss miss, and Oblivion merely replaced that with annoying tanks.

It's just a different kind of bad.
>>
>>331658523
>Annoying tanks
Unless you're talking about something like 70%-100% difficulty which >>331656547
described there wasn't really a problem?

On normal even with something like 1 handed/shield you could easily kill stuff with a few hits...same with stealth archer. Depends on the weapon, you're level, stats and what you are killing. Like does it have tons or armor? For example with 100 stealth you could even ignore armour entirely.
>>
>>331659557
Not my experience but ok.
>>
>>331659839
ok
>>
Is stealth archery the only fun way to play Skyrim?
>>
File: 1418432885932.png (121 KB, 241x204) Image search: [Google]
1418432885932.png
121 KB, 241x204
>>331644078
>OP will forever be forced to post bait because it's the only thing that gets anon's attention
>There will never be a TES thread with honest opinions and criticism
>>
>>331644078
NEVER SHOULDVE COME HERE
>>
>quests
skyrim's questlines are dogshit. The main story was boring as fuck, as was the mage's guild, thieves guild and dark brotherhood. (btw that's pretty much all the quests)
The radiant quests are bullshit too. Going into X cave to get X lost/stolen object is not innovative or fun.

>combat
the combat is better than less clunky than the previous installments, but is still absolute shit.
Combat feels stiff and floaty. Weapons have no impact to the opponent and it feels like you're missing every swing. There are no combos other than light attack repetition, which feels like runescape combat to me.

>dungeons
almost every dungeon of the game is confirmed to be full of draugr that drop nothing but ancient nord weapons and low value gemstones. the ones that aren't are full of bandits. There is maybe 10 actual interesting dungeons that aren't copypaste bullshit.

>NPCs
the NPCs have no life to them. They have no personality and they say nothing of interest. The AI is absolutely horrific. followers frequently get in your way or get lost trying to walk over something as simple as a rock, and forget trying to be stealthy with one. They run straight into combat guns blazing and get knocked the fuck out 9/10 times.

desu the whole series is shit apart from lore. if the concept of the elder scrolls was pasted on to an actually decent engine that doesn't feel like something from 1995 and was developed by a team with even an ounce of talent, they would be some of the greatest games to ever exist.
>>
Literally Skyrim is rated and loved by just about every gamer who enjoys rpg...
OP is triggering me as Oblivion and Skyrim are probably some of the biggest game breakers of their time.
>Literally spend years playing skyrim
>>
>>331660928
>Going into X cave to get X lost/stolen object is not innovative or fun.
And here's the best part. They did it much better in 1996 with daggerfall. It had multiple possible objective locations, non linear parths, and timed quests. Not to mention in skyrim you don't even gain reputation as rewards for quests since the whole system was removed or dumbed the fuck down.
>>
>>331644078
>muh combat
But compared to Dark Messiah the combat is pure garbage.
>>
> all the complains about the combat were about the miss miss miss

You coudn't even build a character in fucking Oblivion. I don't even want to hear how you messed up in Morrowind if you ever played it.

Friggin casuals
>>
>>331651549
>Smithing was exellent

Really now. So installing a space shuttle main engine on a weapon dealing 9999999999999 dmg, walking around pushing one button and 1 hitting everything is considered excellent. This is probably the cause for>>331658523
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.