[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the final verdict on Darkest Dungeon? Does the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: 1428549910844.jpg (176 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1428549910844.jpg
176 KB, 1280x720
So what's the final verdict on Darkest Dungeon? Does the game justify the grind? Is it worth it?
>>
>suddenly everyone is dead and you can't do shit about it
no thanks
>>
>>331640893
Found it kinda dull myself. The artwork and presentation is nice but other than that it didn't really do anything for me.
>>
>>331640934

what?

game isn't THAT hard. i mean i've cleared all 3 tiers of bosses and i'm up to the final dungeon and I've lost maybe 10 guys.
>>
>>331640934
>This snowflake wants revival capabilities in DD

Go back to Final Fantasy, Cindy.
>>
>>331640974

The gameplay is fun. It allows you to get pretty tactical about things. And yeah, art direction is fucking stellar.
>>
good early and mid game but champion runs and darkest were a shitty grind fest with ''exploit the most op strategy this patch to minimize losses''
Pretty dull game, superb art and voice work.
>>
Starts fantastic. then you notice that you are mostly grinding and that the best strategy involves sending out meat for the grinder early on. This kills you attachment to the characters. It didn't care about them like I did in XCOM. I only cared about the gold that they costed me.
Then you notice that you are fighting the same enemies with no changes over and over again. Then you play in the cove and get tired of the bullshit. In the end you drop it but don't uninstall thinking that you will play again soon. You won't.
>>
Worth $25 or wait till it goes on sale?
>>
i liked it better when it was called progress quest
>>
I like it but it can be a massive pain in my arsenholer. I enjoy edgy things but it's not an atmosphere that makes me want to continue playing. You can do everything right and still get unlucky enough to lose a character you've invested a lot in. It's all part of the charm though, don't pretend like you don't hate yourself.
>>
>>331641087
>darkest dungeon
>gameplay
that's a huge stretch and you know it.
>>
>>331641317

Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at. Had immense joy for all of two weeks, and haven't touched it since. Is this just inevitable?
>>
File: 1454620006078.png (69 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
1454620006078.png
69 KB, 226x223
>>331640934
If everyone dies it's your fault.
>>
>>331640893
It's great but it can get unreasonably grindy in the late game. It kind of ruined the game for me for a while, to be honest.
>>
>>331641528
>taking three crits in a row and having 3 guys at deaths door suddenly is my fault

ok
>>
>>331641402
>progress quest starts as a joke
>gets a legitimate fanbase
>people start cloning it and charging for it
>the clones are successful

Everything needs to end.
>>
File: 1458236414335.jpg (54 KB, 765x430) Image search: [Google]
1458236414335.jpg
54 KB, 765x430
CONTINUE THE ONSLAUGHT
>>
>>331641726
somethingsomething turn order speeds stuns or something

who gives a fuck the "game" is nothing but a dull grind.
>>
File: ntwita.jpg (33 KB, 478x351) Image search: [Google]
ntwita.jpg
33 KB, 478x351
>>331641087

Still loving the Cove music. Best in the game. Perfect atmosphere for the setting.
>the party has been through several rooms thus far.
>a couple traps, but no actual encounters...
>suddenly, the party hears them.
>the deep drums, the guttural chorus, the conch horns.
>it's a pelagic war song.
>and it's getting louder.
>your party readies itself. company's coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehVjReIo8T4
>>
>>331641834
>cow clicker started as a joke
>people legitimately got way into it
>suddenly cookie clicker
>same thing happens
>now many of these non games are on steam and people play them for hundreds of hours and in some cases pay actual money to make the numbers multiply faster

Why did this happen
>>
File: 1458627513585.jpg (32 KB, 604x403) Image search: [Google]
1458627513585.jpg
32 KB, 604x403
>>331641941
DESTROY
THEM
ALL

>instant diamonds
>>
>>331641317
>the best strategy involves sending out meat for the grinder early on.

Except that's not the best strategy at all?

In fact the start of the game is easy enough that I'm not sure how you think that's a strategy at all. Character death is actually really rare in the first tier of content.
Always go on one camp quests, 0 camps don't give you enough opportunity to heal up and 2 camps are sooo long that you'll get worn down by attrition.

You're going to need heroes that you've actually invested in eventually as the difficulty rises, so you may as well just start building them up with gear and skill levels right away because it simply makes advancing easier.
>>
File: click clack snip snap.png (207 KB, 508x599) Image search: [Google]
click clack snip snap.png
207 KB, 508x599
>>331641726
In all but the most unlucky encounters you could have played better and avoided being in a situation where you get mass critted.
>>
>>331642135
I know it was mostly just really bad luck but it's still pretty bullshit that that can happen at all. The run was mostly going fine before that happened.
>>
>>331642229
You've just got to learn to play methodically and safe.
Use status effect even when you don't necessarily have to, heal up even when you don't necessarily have to, always carry a spare of everything and always make sure your character are dual purpose so you have a secondary healer/stunner/damage dealer/ect.
>>
The game is really good, but the late-game grind is obscene. It has apparently been nerfed in the recent patch but honestly I'm so drained from completing the game that's it's going to be while before trying a NG+ with the changes.
>>
>>331640893
It's fun until you've seen all of the content (bosses etc.) except for the darkest dungeon itself.

After that it's just tedious grind for bigger numbers.
>>
what should be a fun hard dungeon crawler turns into a child rearing simulator.

all your characters are faggots and go insane with despair when they see a guy pull lint out of his pocket.

worst of all though is that you pretty much have to run multiple teams to even play the game, which is not fucking fun in the slightest.
>>
>>331640893
The game would be immeasurably superior if they cut the amount of grinding in half

It's really enjoyable until you start getting into the Darkest Dungeon itself
>>
>>331642015
>people are starting to legitmately believe games would be better without any sort of player interaction
>>
>>331641312
Hits the nail on the head.

>>331641512
Yup, just let it go.
>>
>>331640893
There isn't much grind in the latest build desu. You can exchange heirlooms and recruit higher lvl heroes that have upgrades purchased. The game is in a great spot atm.
>>
>>331644234

>You can exchange heirlooms and recruit higher lvl heroes that have upgrades purchased.

Really? That fixes a lot of the grinding issues.
>>
>>331644395
Yes. Also, the antiquarian allows you to get some insane hauls when you take her and she works really well with some classes like HWM or MAA with their riposte ability.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.