[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.gizmag.com/best-vr-heads et-gdc-2016/42377/ >
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: Mqr9JX.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Mqr9JX.gif
3 MB, 480x270
http://www.gizmag.com/best-vr-headset-gdc-2016/42377/

>PlayStation VR's PS Move controllers are another matter altogether. We're baffled as to why Sony is recycling a pair of Wiimote-like controllers that first shipped in late 2010 – for a late 2016 virtual reality platform.

>As its best-by date would suggest, PS Move's tracking accuracy is far below that of the Rift and Vive, to the point where its tech gets in the way of a high-quality experience. Trying to swing a sword in Golem was a laborious task: if you swing the Move controller too quickly, tracking goes completely to hell, and if you swing too slowly, you're now adapting your gameplay to the technology – ideally it's the other way around. And even when swinging slowly, they still track more like a Wiimote than the high-end Rift or Vive.

>Sony's headset is the cheapest, and its PS4-powered visuals are going to be mid-ranged compared to the PC-powered Rift and Vive. We can live with that alone, as that doesn't necessitate its experience will be mid-ranged. But PlayStation Move is so bad, it actually creates something closer to a low-end experience. We're utterly perplexed that Sony, a company that has historically made console gaming as high-end as possible, is taking this cheap shortcut.

>The Oculus Rift and HTC Vive cost a lot more than PSVR – in the Vive's case twice as much – and if you already own a PS4, that discrepancy is even wider. But based on our extended demo time at GDC, we can't even recommend PSVR right now, even when taking into account its much cheaper price.

Now that the dust has settled and PSVR is the worst of the three options. What happened?
>>
>>331639397
Even Sony admitted it was the worst.
>>
>>331639397
>Now that the dust has settled and PSVR is the worst of the three options. What happened?
>>331640737
>Even Sony admitted it was the worst.
Well people that had hand on PSVR said it was on par or better than oculus.
>>
>>331642971
>Well people that had hand on PSVR said it was on par or better than oculus.
Nobody said that.
>>
>>331643472
Not him but a person I get to talk once a month literally said that today. Yes, he tried both.
>>
>>331643532
Then he was comparing to a dk2 or something because that's just dumb.
>>
>>331643676
Oh. Now that you said it, he did. And I called him out for it.
Shit, my memory is terrible.
>>
>>331643472
haven't you connected to 4chan nearly, after sony conference the only one thing they talked was why PSVR is better than oculus because RGB screen.
>>
not even surprised. Rift and Vive are rich daddy toys for gamers that can afford to spoil themselves. to think the PS4 version would be on their level is just a foolish assumption.
>>
>We're utterly perplexed that Sony, a company that has historically made console gaming as high-end as possible

Yo starting with PS3 this is plain bulshit. The PS4 is even farther behind for its time.
>>
File: You're all idiots.png (250 KB, 1736x830) Image search: [Google]
You're all idiots.png
250 KB, 1736x830
Friendly reminder, if /v/ says its gonna be one way, you're almost guaranteed it'll be the other way.
>>
>>331646238
Oh I remember the early days of VR. If you made a thread about Oculus Rift it was just full of
>eye strain
>neck pain
>just a screen glued to your face
>3D TVs
>just like in the 90's
>I have no idea how it works but I still know everything about it

I said from the first day that it'll be huge and here we are. /v/ is good in analyzing games before they come out but the hardware is shit with all the fanboys and shilling nowadays
>>
>>331646526
You what? Most VR threads are still exactly like that.
>>
Just wait for the PS MOVE+
>>
Man, melee has to suck dick for pretty much all VR since it only works for light weapon wagglin. It's not like they're gonna tell you to add 10 pound weights to your motion controller.
>>
>>331646785
True, but much less than couple years ago
>>
>>331646872
No PS move+
I mean, I'd like one, but there won't be one.
>>
>>331647104
If those PS4.5 rumors end up being true I don't see why they wouldn't.
>>
>>331647104
Yes there will. They've upgraded everything but the PS Move. The Move feels more like fat wands than any of the competitors. It needs a do over. Something without just a D-pad. Either thumbsticks or a touchpad.
>>
File: playstation_vr_glove_patent.jpg (38 KB, 640x504) Image search: [Google]
playstation_vr_glove_patent.jpg
38 KB, 640x504
>>331647342
>Kotaku
That's a pretty big IF.

It makes no sense dude, PS4 is what? 2 years old? Think about that, that would mean they were making 4.5 from before 4 was released. If there is a 4.5, and its highly unlikely, its just PS4 slim.

The reason you can tell the rumor is bullshit because the main point of the rumor is 4k gaming. Even PC needs a really good machine to play at 4k, a console capable of playing 4k at this time would cost nearly a grand, sony already learned their lesson about that shit with the PS3 release.

Sony at least knows enough not to segregate the playerbase while the console is still in its infancy.

>>331647534
>Yes there will.
Except no.
>It needs a do over.
It most certainly definitely does, its so shit that it doesn't even belong in this generation, but they've said a couple times there won't be a Move+, more than likey it'll be phased out for the sake of an alternate VR controller. (image related)
>>
>>331647823
>more than likey it'll be phased out for the sake of an alternate VR controller. (image related)

Well that's what I mean? Whatever it is or what it'll be called, Move will be replaced. PSVR might see an update with it too. These VR headsets aren't going to have console type life cycles. It's going to be every 2 years or so. Probably 3 years for PSVR.
>>
File: _wiimote_comparison.jpg (21 KB, 410x403) Image search: [Google]
_wiimote_comparison.jpg
21 KB, 410x403
>>331648045
>Well that's what I mean? Whatever it is or what it'll be called, Move will be replaced.
That's a different thing entirely, Move+ Implies a very specific iterative step.
>>
>>331648183
I don't rule it out either. Sony is going to replace Move is all I'm saying.
>>
>>331646526
>it'll be huge and here we are with barely any vr games and ZERO vr in the mainstream
>barely anyone even has the hardware necessary to report it at a non-migraine inducing framerate, and they won't for the next decade or so.
>I WAS RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING, VR IS HUGE RIGHT NOW
wew lad
oh and
>/v/ is good in analyzing games before they come out
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>331648602
>barely any VR games
Already tons more than last gen consoles combined
>barely anyone even has the hardware
True, but that doesn't mean it can't be huge
>VR IS HUGE RIGHT NOW
But it is, haven't you noticed? It may not be the mainstream primary gaming gadget that can be found on every normies house, but it surely is the future of gaming.

>HAHAHAHAHA
I don't know how new you are, but what I've seen it is. Only exceptions were DE:HR that shared some opinions and some MMORPGs.
>>
>>331648602
>and here we are with barely any vr games and ZERO vr in the mainstream
Wait... wait... are you telling me that...
No...

Are you saying that Before something comes out, There are no games for it?

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! SOMEONE CALL KOTAKU!! EXCLUSIVE FUCKING SCOOP!!!
>>
File: wew lad.jpg (687 KB, 1026x1020) Image search: [Google]
wew lad.jpg
687 KB, 1026x1020
>>331648602
>>it'll be huge and here we are with barely any vr games and ZERO vr in the mainstream
Well Considering that oculus, Vive, and PSVR aren't even out yet, the fuck you expect? Games don't come out before the platform retard.
>>barely anyone even has the hardware necessary to report it at a non-migraine inducing framerate, and they won't for the next decade or so.
Well Considering that oculus, Vive, and PSVR aren't even out yet, the fuck you expect? Can't own shit before it comes out retard.
>>I WAS RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING, VR IS HUGE RIGHT NOW
Well Considering that oculus, Vive, and PSVR aren't even out yet, the fuck you expect? Everyone is pretty hype considering they're not even out yet retard.
>wew lad
wew lad.
>>
>>331649245
future, but not for a very long time. And yeah it does mean it can't be huge. If people don't have the hardware and they can't afford to upgrade, they aren't going to spend the money on top of that to buy vr.
>already tons more
There's no AAA-grade games out. No full length games, just indies that could never land on a store shelf. Some major games have been adapted, but that's not enough.

>YOU'RE NEW
I've been here since long before the ME/tortanic shitstorm brought in droves of retards. /v/ is wrong about plenty of games, like Life is Strange and Watchdogs.
>>
>>331649641
yo hes talking about people not having a powerful enough PC to run VR on
but that obviously doesn't apply to the PSVR, and apparently Valve are currently pulling a bag of tricks out their asses that can massively improve performance, too
>>
>>331649361
The dev kits for oculus have been out for years. It's not going to get popular for a long time because barely anyone has the hardware to handle it and devs aren't going to put a lot of funding into creating games that most of the population can't run.

Join the real world.
>>
>>331649843
>yo hes talking about people not having a powerful enough PC to run VR on

I know, but again, PC hardware improves biannually, anyone with half a brain isn't going to build a vive-ready PC now when vive isn't coming out for another six months.
>>
>>331649937
>The dev kits
>>
>>331649937
>People should have VR ready PCs by now because there are Dev kits out there.
>its not going to be popular because people aren't buying/making PCs too early so they're obsolete by the time consumer version comes out.
>All these devs making games don't count because I said so

>This level of dellusion and lack of understanding how development works.
>Telling others to join the real world.
How about you plop out of your mothers vapid cunt one of these days and join the actual fucking real world you basement dwelling tinhat faggot.

jesus fucking christ. I'm leaving this thread before I catch whatever inbred brain aids you fucking have that is turning you into a sub-nigger.
>>
>>331649793
>And yeah it does mean it can't be huge
No it doesn't. I'm not talking about commercial success, but overall VR happening right now. Tons of devs support it and literally no one has said it's shit and not cool.

>no AAA-grade games
And that's a bad thing? I don't know where you've been the last years, but it's the indie titles that have been better than AAA-releases

>I've been here since long before the ME/tortanic
And I've been here since Boxxy. If you look at different sites and reviews of games, /v/ has been the most reliable.
>Life is Strange
/v/ said it's going to be tumblr-the game before it came out and that's what it is? Sure, there are now lots of people who like that game, I'm not sure why, but before it came out /v/ knew what was about to come.
>Watchdogs
/v/ knew it was shit as well
>>
>>331650358
did you just say vapid cunt
whered you get that from
>>
>>331649641
I'm talking about video cards, processors, literal hardware you fucking moron. Barely anyone's system can handle VR right now and the average person won't be able to for the next decade or so. Sony can't change that overnight.
>no games what do you expect
No AAA games are being DEVELOPED you retard, you can't launch your GROUNDBREAKING new hardware and expect it to be big without a decent launch title.
It's just a cashgrab for tards willing to spend $700+ on hardware no one is developing for.
>wew lad
>wew lad
wew lad
>>
>>331643532
Shill
>>
>>331650358
>all this mad over your buyers remorse
The average PC isn't going to be VR ready for a long time, get the fuck over it. If you honestly believe that the average person is going to turn their prebuilt skyrim-running trash into a $1000 + pc just so they can spend even more on vr you're fucking retarded. Hardly anyone can afford that right now.

>These 30+ indie devs are going to change gaming
Go back to /pol/ you delusional fuckface
>>
>>331650821
You literally need only a 970 to be "VR Ready". Valve even tries to get Vive to run on older cards like 680
>>
>>331649641
Fucking sauce? Google has nothing.
>>
>>331650395
>no devs have said it's bad
Why would they? The devs working on it want it to be big and say it's flawless and the devs that aren't know that VR will be big one day and they aren't going to stick their neck out for no reason
>all AAA titles in the last few years have been bad
>most indie titles in the last few years have been good
Just plain wrong. Indies need all the support they can get, but AAA titles haven't been that bad. Plenty of good AAA on console and the best AAA game on PC in awhile has been GTAV, Overwatch (from what reviewers have said) But that's besides the point, NONE of the vr games made by indies have been full fledged games. They're usually nothing more than short minigames, almost like tech demos. No multiplayer on the level even COD yet and certainly no single player adventures past shitty horror walking sims.

>tumblr-game
Now I know you just believe everything you read on /v/
>they knew it was shit
No, /v/ praised watchdog when the trailer dropped like it was the best game at E3. It wasn't until the game was actually out that everyone started calling it shit.
>>
>>331650943
The average person would literally need:
A 970
A late-gen I5 or better
A new motherboard
A new powersupply
And about 8 more gigs of ram.
That's a lot of money on top of the VR itself.
And that's assuming that the combined hardware even runs it at a consistently decent framerate. You've got this thing strapped to your head, fps drops past 30 are going to make you sick after about 20 minutes.
>>
>>331651640
>>no devs have said it's bad
Let me rephrase. No one has said it's shit, except people from /v/ who have never tried it

>Plenty of good AAA
Haah waaw, not really. One or two good AAA games, and tons of good indie games.

> NONE of the vr games made by indies have been full fledged games
No shit, the devices aren't out yet. The launch lineup has those full fledged games

>no single player adventures past shitty horror walking sims
You'd be surprised, those shitty horror walking sims can be 100x better in VR than on a regular monitor

>>331651949
Depends on what you call an average person. Sure if you think of normal people who maybe have a laptop or some old pre-built office PC. But if we're talking about your average gamer I'd say most of them have a good enough computer minus the GPU for VR
>>
File: robot-repair-adaptive.jpg (61 KB, 1000x581) Image search: [Google]
robot-repair-adaptive.jpg
61 KB, 1000x581
>>331650821
>The average PC isn't going to be VR ready for a long time, get the fuck over it

Define long

http://uploadvr.com/valve-cost-vr-graphics/
>>
>>331639397

Well no shit

VR needs custom tech tuned specifically for it

Here sony is recycling shitty move controllers and that camera.

Sonycucks will shill anything though
>>
>>331652967
In 7-10 years. That's a long time, especially in the games industry.

>The high cost of this one component bumps up the price of the overall PC needed for VR to around $1,000.
That's just using bare minimum components as well. Valve can do all they like but they aren't magicians. They can't control how much Nvidia sells for using older hardware, however well optimized, is going to result in framedrops and the like. Even if you managed to cut the price down to $750 the average gamer isn't spending that much RIGHT NOW, let alone with an extra VR price tag on top of it.

People right now are still using GT cards in prebuilts anon. It's gonna take a long time.
>>
>>331653676
Did you even read the article I linked? Seems like you didn't given the response. They're using hardware from 2 generations ago and getting good results. You can get a 680 for like $150.
>>
>>331652906
You're missing the point, no one is developing the amazing full fledge games you want for vr. You can't expect the hardware to launch well without good launch titles to back it up. There's a reason AAA devs aren't making anything right now and that's because they realize it won't reach a large enough audience to make a good profit. It'll be about 3 or 4 years before they even bother.

I'm not calling vr shit either, I want it to be honest. But it's not going to happen for awhile and you're out of touch with the mainstream consumer if you think otherwise.
>>
>>331653893
did you? Even on old hardware like a 680, you're still spending 500-600 dollars on a single card. Add that to the other components needed like a decent cpu and a new psu and it's well out of most people's price range.
>>
>>331654020
>no one is developing the amazing full fledge games you want for vr
Not yet. And I don't want full games, I'm completely fine with all the games we already have. You can spend tons of hours to them too

>You can't expect the hardware to launch well without good launch titles to back it up
I'm not sure if you know the amount of dev kits sold and already pre-ordered Rifts and Vives.

>There's a reason AAA devs aren't making anything right now
But they are. CCP Games, Crytek, Slightly Mad Studios, Frontier Developments, Harmonix and so on. And like I already said, there are 5x more indie devs making games and many of them look even better than the AAA-titles.
>>
>>331646217
I thought the PS3 was ridiculously powerful for its time, which led to its $599 price tag.
>>
>>331654249
*on a single card plus the other components
>>
>>331653676
>you're still spending 500-600 dollars on a single card

The fuck are you talking about? A 680 is like $150.
>>
>>331654249
You're acting like $200 over a PS4's price is something extravagantly more expensive.
>>
>>331653676
Foveated rendering is going to happen in far less than 7 years or even 5 years. It's going to happen in the next generation which is going to be 3 years max. 2 years is more likely. There's already working options now.
>>
>>331654706
It is to the average consumer. When you present a $600 price tag with another $500 price tag for the headset, you're zoning out a lot of people.
>>
>>331654967
The HMD price tag needs to go down but claiming that the average PC isn't going to be ready is ridiculous. When optimized rendering gets down then your average joe is going to be able to run a bunch of games. Even the launch titles with the Vive can run on a 770 just fine right now. Not everything is going to be Star Citizen.
>>
>>331639397
>you're now adapting your gameplay to the technology – ideally it's the other way around
Romero was right

DESIGN IS LAW
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.