[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Darksiders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9
File: 1439730932350.jpg (394 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1439730932350.jpg
394 KB, 1920x1080
>amazing visual design, with unique locations, creatures and protagonists with lots of detail
>unique setting and plot that builds upon the mythology laid down by its predecessors
>very good combat system, not DMC3/4-tier but definitely up there with GoW and better
>long and thorough story that covers the entirety of a broad world
>lots of cool RPG elements, stats and skilltrees as well as multiple equipment slots for shitloads of customization for an action game
>different sub-weapons and a fucking gun can make for some flashy and fun combos
>hated by /v/

Why?
>>
Is /v/ too ADD-ridden to complete a 50 hour game?
>>
>>331621559
Tons of people on /v/ like it. Is this a falseflag post to drum up discussion?
>>
File: 605803487.jpg (30 KB, 272x600) Image search: [Google]
605803487.jpg
30 KB, 272x600
>>
>>331622360

No, see I've never met a single person on /v/ willing to argue for the quality of DS2 (I know you read that as Dark Souls 2).

So I kinda' wish I was falseflagging.

>>331622361

That makes 3! And that picture's only funny when I'm on my 15th bump on page 10.
>>
>>331622271
not strictly related, but fuck a 50 hour game
like... I get that certain games (mostly RPGs or games with heavy RPG elements) can achieve that quite easily, but I'm starting to get real sick of games trying to be like 15hour + all the time
I would a thousand times rather a solid 8 hour game with no filler and decent to strong replayability than a 15+ hour game that feels like a slog any day
>>
>>331622610
>15hour +

If a game can't entertain you, it's not a good game. Making the game shorter to try to finish before you notice is not good game design by any stretch of the imagination.

A good game should never be afraid to be confident.
>>
>>331622610
but nobody played the order 1886
>>
Mostly to argue with >>331622610 but I felt Darksiders 2 did enough RPG-things to actually call itself an RPG with a straight face. Sure it was an ACTION based RPG but it still had enough stats and customization and gear to call itself an RPG by today's standards.

Come at me.
>>
>>331622360
>Tons of people on /v/ like it

I have never seen a person on /v/ (except maybe OP) who came to this game's defense.

And I fucking hate vanish-captchas.
>>
>>331622610
>I would a thousand times rather a solid 8 hour game

I want to point you to reddit, or kotaku or neofag or something, but I'm honestly not sure you'd be welcome THERE either.
>>
>>331621559
>>amazing visual design
awful visual design
>>
>>331625357

No, though.

The characters look unique, colorful and detailed.
The areas are filled with architecture and design that fits their origin.
And the enemies aren't bland reskins but fit their local and the theme of the dungeon.

You can argue that it's too grindy, or that it's too long, but you can't look at this game and say that it looks objectively bad, because that's just downright wrong.
>>
>>331621559
Fuck you guys I'm getting this on the Wii U.
>>
>>331625609
>Wii U

There's a Wii U version? Anyway, you should. Shit's pretty fun.

Get into the habit of dodging early. Death is nimble as a motherfucker and you have to play to that strength as the guy isn't really as tanky as War.
>>
>>331621559
Taking about first game
- extremely boring gameplay
- very shallow visual design
Couldn't bear it for more than an hour or so, never gave II any chance. THQ blew it so hard I couldn't believe that shit
>>
I liked it, but the fetch-quests and that ending really fucking disappointed me, though I knew it was gonna happen. I was hoping for more dialogue among the siblings. Also, I really wanted a proper War boss fight in the arena, though it wouldn't make sense.
>>
>>331625761

The gameplay in the first one was (charitably put) playable. Not good, but functional. I totally agree though that you could really feel the growing-pains in the early stages.

That being said 2 does the combat a LOT better.

The visual design I can't really argue for or against because it's incredibly subjective, but DS2 has some sweeping environments and cool-looking characters. However, if you think War and Death look overdesigned, and think that's a bad thing, then you probably won't ravel in the artstyle of the second game either.
>>
>>331625816

I kinda' liked that they forced you to go up against War as the first (or was it second?) boss of the game to highlight how much tankier War was and how much quicker Death was by contrast.
>>
>>331625943
>That being said 2 does the combat a LOT better.
I just wish some of his abilities were less awkward to utilize during combat.
>>331626020
I found it nice how they used his attack grunts from the last game during it, but I really wanted a more buffed up version to fight as a bonus, with more moves and stuff.
>>
>>331625725

Yeah, remember when the WiiU came out and they built up that strange ensamble of two year old third party games including Darksiders 2, Arkham City and Mass Effect 3... only the third one.
>>
THE BEAMS REDIRECT THE BEAMS
>>
>>331626164
>I just wish some of his abilities were less awkward to utilize during combat.

There are some things that feel out of place. I never fucking got why they decided to give Death a gun. A FUCKING GUN.

The guy's DEATH, what the fuck does he need a gun for? Trying to work that shit into a good combo was a pain and a half.

I'm pretty sure Death even says out loud at some point "Isn't this suppose to be Strife's weapon?".
>>
it's a long game.
and i loved it.

it felt like a journey.

Soundtrack was god tier as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cufiWPwrE1Y

I don't care about what /v/ or anyone else says.
I love both Darksiders games, probably the best series i have played in the past decade, along with Dark souls.
>>
>>331621559
Here's my personal complaints:
>Open world, but empty in-between areas
Makes me sleepy unless I'm in constant combats, which is boring after awhile
>Music
Same as above
>Exploration
Death is supposed to be the most agile horseman, but he has no double jump wtf? It limits exploration severely and after awhile I just stopped counting the moment I asked the game 'that platform should be high enough for me to jump over'.

Yeah, nitpicking at its best. But I agree with you on some points you mentioned, and its art direction is basically what carried me to finish the game.
>>
>>331626490

Jesus Christ lay off the SweetFX, brother. I agree about the soundtrack.
>>
>>331626319
Well, Death uses plenty of different weapons. I'm not too bothered by it, but it felt like a pretty useless part of his arsenal, overall.

Overall, I enjoyed the combat, but it still needed some polish.
>>
Why do so many people claim that /v/ hates this game

I've only ever heard people say that nobody likes it, nobody ever actually disliking it

it's an okay game and I don't see why anyone would say anything else

I thought the rpg elements were poorly implemented, the "look at the stats of the old item" feature didn't work properly because the stats that actually mattered, effects like crit rate and what not, that wasn't listed, so I had to do more menuing than I'd have preferred to - and then in the end it didn't matter much because you would just become too strong in no time and beat everything up. DS1 with the standard "fixed scaling" made for better balanced fights. In general combat was, eh, I can't say it wasn't fun because the animations and designs and music and everything was so hype, but you could really just button mash through and neglect 90% of your abilities. they gave you complex skill trees and abilities and shit and you never needed anything. felt like so much wasted potential. Oh, and 5 star boss fights in this game.

World's pretty but you do a bit too much wandering around and not seeing a lot till you get to the setpieces

3.8/5 fun times
>>
>>331621559
the first one was apart from the background story a very generic zelda clone.
It was fun, but nothing special.

in the second one they went full retard with the RPG elements and made the base game far to easy. Do anyone remember struggling at any part of the game?
>>
Do I have to play the first one to enjoy the sequel?
>>
>>331626552
Not him but:
>but he has no double jump wtf?
What the fuck are you even talking about. Why would Death have a double jump? The guy runs up fucking walls.

>It limits exploration severely
No it doesn't. The game wasn't built around double jumping. In any other game I could kinda' see your point but double jumping in DS2 would've just served as a crutch for those who couldn't pull off the incredibly simple platforming.

>'that platform should be high enough for me to jump over'
Can't argue with this one. There were several times where platforms were JUST out of reach and it bugged me to no end. I'll give you this one.
>>
>>331626735

Nah but the story is connecting.

Summarized though, all you need to know is:

>You're one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, Death, and your brother (protagonist from the first game) War, went to Earth a little early and accidentally unleashed holy war between heaven and hell a little prematurely, accidentally wiping out all humanity in the process. The Charred Council (the statues that employ the horsemen and fantasize about "balance" over all things) imprison War, and it's your job as the good brother you are to go clear his name. That's what Death is doing in DS2.

That is literally all you need to know.
>>
>>331626790
I unconsciously compare DS2 to Ninja Gaiden in that MC has no double jump but can runs up a wall. In Ninja Gaiden however, there's no moment where I think 'maybe it's supposed be overcome later when I have the double jump', whereas in DS2, that moment is literally everywhere. Also, double jump is also in DS1 and pretty much a staple in combat-oriented action game, so why not implement in DS2?
>>
>>331626735
Iirc you get a little "last episode on dark siders" intro and that'll all you need. Story is kinda... on the side anyway. The little subplots within are what make the deal, not the overarching pseudo-informational bible stuff.
>>
>>331627110

While I see your point more clearly now, I'd still argue that it makes for an equally tight design. The fact that there are some things you just can't get to until you can double jump encourages the use of the environment to get to places, which is more original than pressing X twice, IMO.

Also, the reason it was in the first game was, as you might remember, that War fought a fucking lot of airborn enemies. The angels were always winged and most of the demons and shit too (not all of course, but a lot). You didn't have any ranged weapons or any effective aerial gap-closers to you needed something to sustain you in-air.

While I don't think DS2 would have been hurt a terrible lot by having a double jump in the game, I don't think it'd add as much either.
>>
The main issue is that the ending of 1 left a great cliffhanger and 2 was a side story that blue balled people from what they wanted.

And then THQ died and the studio folded. I think Deep Silver has the IP now, so who knows if it'll resurface on day.
>>
>>331627624

In late-2015 I read that a third one was on the way.

Not to mention Death's side-story was a lot more interesting than War's main-story if that makes any sense IMO.
>>
File: 1455934897859.jpg (31 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1455934897859.jpg
31 KB, 600x600
I liked it, but it had a bit too many puzzles in it for me personally
>>
>>331625725
>>331625609
The Wii U version has an edge over every other port because the gamepad allows for on-the-fly weapon switching. Something to consider.
>>
>>331627191
>>331627031

Thanks you two. I really appreciate it. Which version is the best one to pick up at the moment?
>>
Just bought this today for ps4. Have to say its a surprisingly fun and entertaining game. I hope it maintains it all the way through to the end.
>>
>>331627782

How so? Like swap between multiple sub-weapons or main-weapons?

Because switching between main and sub on the fly was a thing in the Deathfinitive (fuck that's a retarded name) version of the game too.
>>
>>331628045
>Deathfinitive
Speaking of that, didn't it run worse compared to the original release, despite being on superior hardware?
>>
>>331627954

The PC version is, as always, the best if you have the hardware. It has some bug that forces you to vsync so don't expecet 144fps though. They might have fixed this in latter days.

The WiiU version is also good and I read somewhere that it sneaks in a few good tweaks, but I can't really confirm it.

That being said you really can't go wrong with any of them. Have fun Anon!
>>
i got the deathinitive edition for free but i read on steam forums its yet another game that was abandoned by its devs. oh well.
>>
2 ruined everything 1 had
>>
>>331628124

It ran worse on PC because the modifications to the engine didn't really run as smoothly on PC. It ran about the same for consoles though, and looked better and more detailed.

I still didn't really feel it NEEDED a re-mastering or re-release but whatever, and I heard it sold pretty well, which is nice for them.
>>
File: original.jpg (97 KB, 1000x300) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
97 KB, 1000x300
>>331628134

I think I'll go with the Wii U version. Thanks anon.
>>
>>331627954
I'd suggest starting with the first one. Ultimately I think it's just a matter of preference as to which one is better, they are pretty damn similar apart from a small number of pros and cons each, so you might as well start with the first one.
>>
>>331622508
>No, see I've never met a single person on /v/ willing to argue for the quality of DS2 (I know you read that as Dark Souls 2).

maybe because they got bored after a couple of hours...
>>
>>331628173

1 had nothing. 2 was a decent Zelda+GoW hybrid. 1 was inferior in every way. Come at me.
>>
>>331628045
Swap between different sub-weapons. You can normally only have one sub-weapon equipped at a time (either the fast fist weapons or the slow polearm weapons) and have to use the pause menu to switch. The gamepad lets you switch which subweapon you have equipped without needing to pause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIyd4En00L8

>switching between main and sub on the fly was a thing in the Deathfinitive
That's how the game's always been.
>>
>>331627954
>>331628291
Oh nvm thought you were thinking about which game. Might as well play the second one right away
>>
>>331627031
War is innocent he didn't do any of that he was framed by the council and is blamed by the devil's and angels.
I don't even think he's imprisoned the ending of the first he released the other 3 horseman to help him
>>
File: 1454466669573.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1454466669573.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>331622610
You made me physically sick after reading your post.
>>
>>331628356

Oh, I didn't play the pre-Deathfinitive version so I thought it was something new they'd added. That does look cool though. I might look for it on the WiiU next. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>331628206
Eh, then I'll probably grab it on PS4.
I don't mind playing through it again. Hopefully controls have been revamped to make abilities less of a pain to utilize.
>>
>>331628349
2 was boring as fuck and was just a dungeon crawler
1 had an open connected world and a actual real story
>>
>>331628436

2 was an action RPG game.

1 was just an action game.

2 had a plot that centralized around characters.

1 had a plot that was centralized around events that took place before the game began.

2 was an open world exploration game.

1 was linear to the FF13-degree.

1 did nothing 2 didn't do better.
>>
>>331628559
>2 had a plot

thats a good one
>>
>>331622610
>>331622754
>>331628406
I think the idea is, devs shouldn't be making a game 50 hours long if it doesn't have content for 50 hours. Dark Siders 2 has quite a bit of wandering around empty spaces, the game would be richer for having some of that be cut out, it's not that a 50 hours experience is a bad thing but that crafting a worthwhile 50 hour experience is a tough thing. And yeah, when an AAA game has "only" 8 hours worth of playtime, chances are those are gonna be more fulfilling than a good chunk of the 50 hour games out there.
>>
File: Crowfather.png (278 KB, 408x530) Image search: [Google]
Crowfather.png
278 KB, 408x530
>>331626613
I feel you my man.

I wish i could go back to 2012 to play it for the first time one last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJD5kNdgY4s
>>
>>331621559
But it's generic in every sense of the word and has an ugly blocky, thick design that is usually over designed.
>>
I like the Darksiders games, but they feel really "generic fantasy" to me. Not quite as generic as something like Kingdoms of Amalur (which came out at the same time as DS2 and is basically the same game but worse in every way), but to start with the premise of an action game based on Abrahamic mythology with angels and demons engaged in epic battles for control of the universe, where you play as one of the harbingers of the apocalypse, and then reduce it to fetch quests and WoW-style pauldrons on everything, just feels like wasted potential. Maybe that's just me.
>>
>>331628596

2 had plenty of plot. Death wanted to get to the Tree of Life and got integrated heavily with the Creators, learning more of the world around him in the process.
>>
>>331621559
I'm playing the first one now (got bored and bought one of those 2 buck a pop g2a "random premium" keys)
It's okay I guess, the combos are fun, but these ember/fire fat dudes are bullshit, you can't use any Arial combat on them as they just knock you out of the sky and deal massive damage.
does it get better, or is it just so so all the way through?
>>
>pants on head retarded control scheme on pc
>horrible optimization
>deathfinitive edition only makes it worse
underneath that it's really good but whoever mapped controls on pc has obviously never seen a keyboard before
>>
>>331628624

People overplay the "walking around" aspect of DS2 so fucking badly and it makes me mad. You barely had to do any "walking around". Fuck, I think I rode my horse a dozen times in the game because fast travel (and two-way fast travel at that) exists, and only then for 5 minute treks across the land.

Did you people just not use fast travel or something?
>>
>>331621559
I don't know what you're talking about, anon. I loved both the first and the second game.

> Mfw we'll never get a sequel with the other riders.
>>
>>331629152

In November 2015 they confirmed that another game IS on the way.

That being said, it's been radio-silence since then.
>>
i lvoed the first one but the second one felt bland to me.
i disliked the rpg drop elements as they felt tacked on, and every single area was just
>enter room
>solve puzzle
>maybe some goons show up
>move on to next room
the spooky skeleton place was cool though
>>
File: 1456994762029.jpg (65 KB, 552x528) Image search: [Google]
1456994762029.jpg
65 KB, 552x528
>>331621559
>very good combat system
>bayonetta combat without dodge offset
>good
>>
>>331629010
Obviously I'm talking about riding the horse from area to area. And the fast travel spots were far and few between from what I remember, never near where you had to go. Because what I do remember is spending more time than I would have liked riding from A to B, and definitely not because I neglected fast traveling. That's all I can say, sorry if it maddens you...?
>>
>>331622610
Agreed. Didn't manage to finish Alien Isolation because the game just dragged on and on and on.
Darksiders 2 length was ludicrous, even the much more tight 1 was a bit of a slog towards the end.

I think 15 hours is just fine but 20+ can be a lot unless its an RPG.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.