[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How common are gaming PCs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: budget-gaming-pc-side[1].jpg (60 KB, 770x511) Image search: [Google]
budget-gaming-pc-side[1].jpg
60 KB, 770x511
According to an anon in another thread there are far less of them out there when you get in the "real world" among the casuals than /v/ and places like PCMR would imply.

I know about 6 guys under the age of 25 who play games on a regular basis, and only one of them currently own a desktop PC, and that one is an old prebuilt only capable of being a facebook/essay typing machine. (should be probably count myself as well, since I do have a gaming-grade PC).
>>
>>331573017
>MUH ANECDOTES
>>
>>331573017
And I know like 10 guys around 30 who all have gaming PCs. What's your point?
>>
>>331573212
>>331573114

>How common are gaming PCs?
You guys are embarrassing.
>>
According to Steam statistics, medium-to-high-end gaming PC are very uncommon.
>>
>>331573976
Isn't a GTX 970 the most popular GPU? that can max out most games at 1080p/60fps.
>>
>>331574094
Only 4% of Steam users use a GTX970. In average way, way weaker GPUs are used.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
>>
>>331574094
It's the most popular compared to the others, but actual sales numbers are impossible to come across. If you can find them I'd be very grateful
>>
>>331573976
because they're either not using steam, or probably don't take part in the hardware survey.
>>
>>331574573
If someone has a high end gaming card you can pretty assume they also have a steam account.
>>
>>331574573
While that may be true, at the end of the day Steam statistic are actual data, not anecdotes or assumptions.
>>
>look up display resolutions
>1080, 768, 900 and 1024 make sense.
>Then 1680 x 1050
What? I've never even heard of that.
>>
>>331573017

Any laptop with a i5 can play anything on low or at lower resolution. It's not really a big deal if you don't own a nice computer you can still be master race
>>
>>331575218
It's a 16:10 resolution you used to find on bigger laptops. People who still use those 17" HP Pavilion laptops would have that resolution.
>>
>>331575543
And it so happens most of the old laptops like this one:
>>331575673
have i5 CPUs in them. They make passable platforms for playing your Minecraft or Rocket league or whatever the current thing is the young'uns play these days.
>>
>>331573017
I can't see them being that common. Given the fact devs rarely develop for high end hardware, and Steam shows lower resolutions are more common.
I have a 980, and aside from poor optimisation I don't feel like anything pushes it.
>>
Didn't the Steam hardware survey come back saying something like 7/10 steam users are using integrated graphics?

I remember it being something ridiculously high.
>>
>>331575218
How? Almost all 1080p PC monitors allow this.
Think of it like the 16:10 equivalent of 1600x900. It's the next common display resolution below 1920x1080
>>
>>331573017
I work in a kitchen with around 18 other chefs/kp's and maybe 15 or so waiters/managers

Of all that only 1 person has a "rig" and it was prebuilt. Everyone else has either tablets, laptops or just use their phones.
The "gamers" in the places are pretty much all xbox one or ps4, no nintendo consoles at all or even anything before ps3/360
>>
>>331573017
mid/high parts cost hundreds of dollars

kids wont have them unless they are smart with money.
>>
>>331576305
Probably because of laptops. I'd like to see a desktop-only survey but that would be difficult in practice. OEM desktop sales are dying so people who do buy a desktop are gamers or power users.
>>
>>331573017
gaming PCs probably make up less than 1% of PC sales; what you have to remember though is that most PC sales are large OEM orders for corporations
>>
if you think steam survey is an accurate representation of how many people try to actually play games you're a fucking moron
I've installed steam on like 5 different computers but I only actually play games on 1 of them, I just use the other ones for chat room shit
>>
>>331573017
They're common enough for people to forget that computers are used for more than gaming.
>>
>>331577000
Yeah, like ricing your Linux desktop and bitcoin mining.
>>
>>331573017
I'm mostly from /tg/. and most of my gaming circle have the 970 or the 390 for GPUs, and an i5 or better.
Something else to keep in mind is that what is considered good here is way overkilll for normies.
My pc is at the high end of mid tier gaming desktops, and even then, that alone probably puts me in at least the top 15% in terms of specs.
>>
Having a desktop just for internet browsing etc is becoming not really a thing anymore. Everyone is just going to tablets/phones now.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.