[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Final Fantasy Tactics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Is this the pinnacle of the SRPG/TRPG genre? I'm not being facetious, I'm really looking for a comparable game

>mfwihnfw I literally had a "teleports behind you" summoner character with Equip Katana and the time mage's Teleport
>>
Shameful bump.
>>
The classic Shining and Langrisser games are up there too. Tactics Ogre doesn't have as good of balance, but beyond that, it's on par. Then you have stuff like Arc the Lad 2 and the better Front Missions scattered around.

FFT still stands as an example of an srpg with decent balance, good maps, a good level of challenge, a good plot, good characters, good unit variety via the job system, solid gameplay mechanics, and a suitable need to actually utilize, you know, tactics/strategy.

What more does an srpg really need? Is it the best? I dunno. But it's a contender for it.

But then there are also people who honestly believe that FE and Disgaea games are good srpgs.

>inb4 old FE was

Thracia is the only FE that was a good srpg.
>>
>>331545670
Front Mission 6 when?
>>
>>331544006
It certainly has one of the best plots.
I know that's not as important to some people, but this genre just lends itself to storytelling, and I appreciate when there's a good narrative.

For me it's TO:LUCT or FFT as top.
Fire Emblem ranges from shit to decent.
>>
Front Mission 3
>>
>>331544006

Shining Force I & II on genesis are at the very least comparable. I personally think Shining Force II is on the same level of FFT. Might be nostalgia tho
>>
>>331544006
Advance Wars is so, so good. Especially if you are going to play with other people.

I miss the AW:Online threads on /v/
>>
File: tumblr_m960saDJf11qjl7iv.jpg (22 KB, 500x488) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m960saDJf11qjl7iv.jpg
22 KB, 500x488
I tried getting into Fire Emblem: Awakening because FFT is one of my favorite games, but it just wasn't doing it for me.
>>
>>331546558
>level up
>0 stats gained!
It's a garbage game desu.
>>
>>331546487
Advance Wars is good, but it's not a RPG
>>
So why does no one name new gen console games? Is Fire Emblem really all there currently is?
>>
LUCT is better
Front Mission 3/5 are also solid
>>
>>331549078
The genre hit its output peak at gen 6, then dropped off drastically. Other than the PSP, gen 7 didn't have many, and neither does gen 8. Most of the big classic series other than FE and Disgaea are dead.

But there are some decent newer ones.

Devil Survivor 1-2
Jeanne d'Arc
Mercenaries Saga 2
PSP Tactics Ogre remake
>>
>>331544006
No, the strategy elements are ass in this game. People remember FFT for the fantastic story (before Matsuno jumps the shark like usual with his demon shit towards the end) and flashy jobs in spite of the "strategy" required for this game.

LUCT is much more strategic. But even then it still has the Matsuno ayydemonslmao BS later on.
>>
>>331550098
>LUCT
>more strategic
>canopus/archers clear every ranged enemy unit with ease, cleanup's a breeze

At least FFT makes you wait a good while before you start getting gamebreaking shit.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.