[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's your game going, /v/? You ARE making a game, right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 108
File: gamengines_0.png (43 KB, 442x756) Image search: [Google]
gamengines_0.png
43 KB, 442x756
How's your game going, /v/?
You ARE making a game, right?
RIGHT???
>>
No.

I guess I could try. Which of these would be best for someone who can program but doesn't want to make everything from the ground-up?
>>
>>331540102
bad, people in the Unity forum don't really answer questions
>>
>>331540207
Do you want to make a 3D game or a 2D one?
>>
>>331540363

2D.
>>
Modeling a character right now, then I'll see how far I can get in UE4 without programming knowledge
>>
>>331540504
Game maker if you don't mind learning the language.
You could use Unity as well but its not really built for 2D games.
You could also build an engine in SDL if you want to code in your own language.
>>
Refactoring a lot of old code. It was starting to be a pain adding new things.
>>
I want to make one, and I'm a pretty avid programmer, but I'm not much of a drawer...
>>
>>331540825
Alternatively you can check the wikipedia article about game engines for nonproprietary engines.
>>
>>331540102
Today I'm gonna learn Tyranobuilder. Already know Renpy pretty well, but Tyrano has much better exporting/publishing options. Just need to finish swiping art assets off the web to practice with.
>>
File: ppee.jpg (34 KB, 448x347) Image search: [Google]
ppee.jpg
34 KB, 448x347
>Played games my entire life
>Read tons of stuff on balance, gameplay and game direction
>Seen games rise and fall and learnt from their mistakes
>Grown a very elitistic and perfectionist sense of taste that

Have ideas for 2 amazing games, but my builds will be mediocre and fail.
Why even live
>>
>>331541368
Just make place-holder pixel shit, then hire (an) artist(s) once you're half way done.
The most important part of a game is the GAMEplay, so you need to get that up and working before anything else.
>>
>>331540825
>but its not really built for 2D games.
How so?
>>
>>331542686
Well for starters Unity is a 3D engine.
>>
File: mygameue4.jpg (550 KB, 1569x873) Image search: [Google]
mygameue4.jpg
550 KB, 1569x873
It would be coming better if i knew how to code ;^) But I know how to make them nice game assets so im just graphics whoring in Unreal engine.
>>
File: mygameue4a.jpg (591 KB, 1569x873) Image search: [Google]
mygameue4a.jpg
591 KB, 1569x873
another shot
>>
>>331542936
There is an option for 2D. So?
>>
File: mygameue4b.jpg (527 KB, 1569x873) Image search: [Google]
mygameue4b.jpg
527 KB, 1569x873
and another
>>
>>331540347
Unity forums are retarded, I've see more action in unity japanese forums than unity oficial.
>>
>>331542595
Playing games doesn't mean you know a thing about how they work.
Quit wallowing in your self loathing, and actually do something
Undertale was made some dude, and look how well it did.
If you have such great taste and direction, then you should easily be able to make some okay shit.

>>331542686
A lot of people complain that Unity is glitchy when it comes to 2D.
Also, vector graphics tend to fair better than pixelized graphics, which may be a problem if you're going for a certain art-style.
>>
>>331543357
>>331543225
>>331543117

Anon that's are nice assets, are you going to share it?
>>
File: github avatar.png (78 KB, 409x437) Image search: [Google]
github avatar.png
78 KB, 409x437
>>331540102
I've been coding the framework for one in python while someone I know has been writing scripts. I'll probably take a week off from work soon to actually get it all done. It shouldn't really take that long. I can't wait to have all the tools built and then just treat it like rpg maker.
>>
>>331542595

Stop being a wuss and giving up before even starting. Start with GameMaker, check tutorials, build prototypes, you'll get there eventually. That's what i'm doing right now and i'm having a blast.

GameMaker is a breeze to understand if you know any other programming language. It's very similar to Javascript and thats easy as fuck. Learn the basics and it becomes a magnificent playground
>>
File: 1452566339468.png (31 KB, 212x204) Image search: [Google]
1452566339468.png
31 KB, 212x204
Is GameMaker good to use if I want to use my own hand drawn art, animations, and stuff? A lot of GameMaker stuff I've seen is primarily pixels or sprites, so I don't know if it's limited in that way or not.
>>
>>331543259
Unity's 2D mode is pretty subpar compared to its 3D mode. Its really bloated for what it is, because its built on top of a 3D engine.
Also Unity is Spyware
>>
I can't code. I can't draw. I can't make music. All I have are ideas and the ability to write, but that doesn't mean shit. I am more interested in designing tabletop games. It's something I could possibly do, whereas I will never make it in vidya design.

Which really sucks, because I actually have two big connections in the indie game scene not saying who, sorry and if I had any modicum of talent in video game design I would have great support.
>>
>>331543736

You can use any asset you want as long as its 3D. But you better plan how everything meshes together on the grid. You can customize the size of the grid but it stays a grid.
>>
>>331544364

Of course I meant 2D, not 3D
>>
I´ve got a ton of different ideas but my ideas always grow too big for me. But also I don´t want to settle for some shitty minigame.

Currently I said fuck it and kinda work on one idea. Nothing to show yet as I´m still fleshing out the idea. I´m not gonna start until I´m done with that. Then I can make visual stuff and code. I hope I manage to get past a certain point, where I´m so far done with the game that I just can´t abandon it anymore.

>>331544125
If you have connections, then ask them if you can watch over their shoulders for some time, maybe you can get into game design, not the visual, audio or coding, but the mechanics of the game. Maybe the guy who writes the game design document and keeps it updated.
>>
File: shootthemarrows.webm (1 MB, 1240x916) Image search: [Google]
shootthemarrows.webm
1 MB, 1240x916
I'm going to be working on low/high arcing stances for the archers today, still not entirely sure on how to balance them. Low arc is meant to be precision shooting but low damage/range while high arc is meant for high damage/range but low precision.
>>
>>331545479
I know it´s an unimportant detail but the archers take about 4 days to get up the ramp and start shooting. Is there a reason to make it go up so fast?
>>
>>331545896
Do you mean why it goes fast at the end? I wanted to show that the archers actually chase when an enemy goes out of range and I speed up so the webm didn't last a minute. If that wasn't your question I'm sorry.
>>
File: 1404949990836.jpg (389 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
1404949990836.jpg
389 KB, 1284x980
>unity
>>
>>331544364
>>331544881
Okay. Thank you.
>>
Could I make a PC game support splitscreen play, then have it set up so you can split between multiple monitors, so you could hook four monitors to your PC and have each player have a screen to themselves?

How many input devices can a computer handle? I know you can run up to four computers then a mouse and keyboard.
>>
>>331546274
>Could I make a PC game support splitscreen play
For the longest time I've been trying to figure this out. All I want is to have two cameras showing two images on the same screen and I can't figure it out.
>>
>>331546678
Rocket League does it well. I don't know how they do it though.
>>
>>331546274
>How many input devices can a computer handle?
If you're talking gamepads, the piece of shit that is Xinput can only handle four.
>>
>>331546048
not what I meant. You have the date showing on top and it goes so fast. The archers? shoot one arrow every 2 days. I think it goes by way too fast. I´ve seen other RTS games do the same thing and it always bothered me.
>>
>>331546274

This is somewhat complicated.

A computer can theoretically handle an infinite amount of monitor inputs. The only thing stopping it is the Graphics card and its input count, as well as software.

You just need to detect the multiple monitors, and based on that, perhaps guess the resolution type their using based on that input (2 1920x1080 monitors could be 3840x1080 or 1920x2160) and propose that resolution in a graphics setting option.
>>
>>331540102

Is gamemaker free worth getting?
>>
Anyone got good guides on creating art style and giving your game proper art direction?

Anyone here working on those things?

I've been wanting to work on an art style like Halo Reach but with more vivid colors like earlier games in the series, and kind of focus on more of a painting look, rather than going for realism.

I'd like to acheive that look mostly with texture work and making fitting lighting models and particle effects rather than resorting to using a shader to make it look "painted"
>>
>>331548082
So like some modern games let you change what monitor the game displays in the settings. So I could use something like that but put new things of the game onto that monitor selected so you can have your split screen across several monitors
>>
>>331547331
Oh the date is just a mechanic I implemented but never got around to make it go like it should, at the moment I plan for days to take 15 minutes (this will probably change). It's just so low to test if it actually worked.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-11+at+08.09.57).png (7 KB, 237x251) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-11+at+08.09.57).png
7 KB, 237x251
I've made approximately no progress in the last month
Its going pretty well
>>
>>331549634
get to it treebro
>>
>>331548813
The issue with applications right now is that they don't fare well with the idea of "splitting up". The issue being that every program is ONE application, ONE application display. and the Operating System only allows focus on ONE application at a time. The OS loses focus on the application once you click on another application.

And overcoming this might be more work than it's worth.

So instead, when making the resolution, let's say, 3840x1080 (because that's what the user has in this example), the program will now make the game that wide, and since you know the horizontal resolution is very expanded due to two monitors, you can divide on the horizontal resolution where two players can now play (one on the left, one on the right)

So you have the right idea, you just need to remember that the scope is that it's one display for an application.

Also, you might want to implement multi-processing for a more smooth effect.
>>
>>331549693
Soon™
Also has anyone worked with Godot before? How does it fare compared to other 2D engines?
>>
>find an old 2d game project i was working on years ago
>decide to update it and release it
>since it's old, the resolution is kinda low
>try to change the resolution for a more modern one
>it fucks up the entire code.

damn it, past me, why couldn't you future proof your shit
>>
>>331548456
>Anyone got good guides on creating art style

Well, on the topic of shaders and rendering:

Go into photoshop or blender or whatever you use for rendering and fiddle around with the settings until you've perfected your art style. Then, go into your game engine and try to replicate the rendered composition with the shader tools available.

>and giving your game proper art direction?

Learn to make concept art. And if you don't know how to draw, paint, or construct a composition, don't even bother.

>Anyone here working on those things?

Yes. Not going to post anything though.
>>
Anyone who recommends Game Maker needs to fuck off. Game Maker is pretty much unlike everything else due mainly to its unique programming language but also its interface.

If you want to make a game, you're gonna have to learn how to program. For 2D, I recommend Monogame. For 3D, I recommend Unity. They both use C#, which is my favorite programming language since its, in my opinion, a perfect balance of simplicity and complexity. Even people who don't know how to program should be able to look at C# code and get the jist of whats going on.
>>
>>331551695
>If you want to make a game, you're gonna have to learn how to program.
nice meme
>>
How far can I get in UE4 dev without programing skills
>>
>>331552249
You can't.
>>
>>331552249
I've got zero programming skills and are making this at the moment.
>>331545479
>>
>>331552779
Just all blueprints?

How hard is it to have a real programmer go back and replace your blueprints with real code?
>>
File: 1449024247305.png (171 KB, 374x347) Image search: [Google]
1449024247305.png
171 KB, 374x347
>>331551695
>you can't program in gamemaker
>>
>>331553030
Pure blueprints. Got no clue on your second question, but EPIC is working on a solution to convert blueprints to c++ when you package your project so the performance issue is solved with blueprints (but this is just a theory for them and nothing they've got working).
>>
I'm making a romhack, if that counts.
>>
>>331553428
Blueprints are still programming. Anything you make in Blueprints translates almost 1:1 into code.
>>
Got uni deadlines, no devving for another week or so.
I didn't dev after the previous batch of deadlines either. Fuck everything. Breaks are pretty much the only time I get shit done even though I don't really spend that much time on university shit.
>>
if only detecting the light levels at the spot your character is standing in was easy

all this shit about FPrecomputedLightVolume and other shit that is so beyond my knowledge
>>
>>331553340
I never said that. In fact, I said Game Maker did have a programming language, therefore implying that you can program in Game Maker. I stated the programming language is horrible and unique only to the application, where as languages like C# and Java are universal.
>>
How should I go about learning to use unity?
>>
Eh. Have to do pathfinding for my enemies and I just kinda got bored. Pathfinding is hard when you don't know how to program.
>>
>>331553959
they have beginner tutorials on their website I believe. After that, come up with something simple you want to do and then google "[thing you want to do] in unity"
>>
>>331553959
Download Unity
Google "Unity Tutorial"

Done.

Alternately, if you can't into programming and/or art.

>spend 2-3+ years learning how to program/do art
>Download Unity
>Google "Unity Tutorial"
>>
File: flood fill.png (37 KB, 820x843) Image search: [Google]
flood fill.png
37 KB, 820x843
>>331554056
>Pathfinding is hard
I thought so too until I read about the flood-fill method. Here's something I programmed in a few hours in flash after reading about it.
http://www.sdmsolutions.ca/

Here's the concept explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0XFafeGjsI

essentially you start with the spot you're on and then check to see if you can move to adjacent spots, if you can move to those spots, add them to an array of spots to check. Loop through that array and for each one, check to see if you can move to their adjacent spots, and add the ones you can to the array to check. Loop thought this as many times as needed.
>>
Should I take real classes about how to program/make games or should I just learn myself? What is best?

At this point it feels like having a real education in making games is a meme.
>>
>>331555209
>it feels like having a real education in making games is a meme.
it IS a meme
>>
>>331555270

Why?
>>
>>331555209
Real education in programming is also a meme, you can easily learn it on your own through practice. A compsci degree is most likely worth it though, if you're interested in theory.
>>
>>331555381
because whether a game is good or not is completely subjective and can't be taught

there is no such thing as "game specific" programming
>>
>>331542595
Split your ideal game into smaller parts.

Make those just for the sake of finishing them.
When you're done, try to polish/improve them.

After a year or two you'll have all the knowledge required on how to make your ideal game.
>>
>>331555209
>Should I take real classes about how to program/make games or should I just learn myself?
Programming is basically just a language. It's like asking if you should take a class to learn French or if you should just learn it online. If you're motivated you can do it yourself. If not, you can pay someone to give you assignments and learn it that way.
>>
>>331551695
This is an incorrect point of view. It would be beneficial to learn programming, but it is not required to use software like Game Maker. What's more important is learning concepts introduced in programming, which can be taught in a variety of manners.

Knowing an actual programming language would also make you able to use a variety of other things and not just Game Maker, but again it is not required.

The Undertale fiasco from a while ago is indicative of all of the above points. It sold like hell and the creator had no idea how to program.
>>
>>331553914
gml is great in my opinion
>>
File: lovelogo.png (7 KB, 374x120) Image search: [Google]
lovelogo.png
7 KB, 374x120
I'm creating a tutorial series that teaches you how to make games with LÖVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUPbSJ5wF0k
>>
>>331555976
Forgot to mention this before, but C# also has the benefit of more resources online. Though, from experience, GML doesn't have the worst online resource guide.
>>
File: bob.webm (1 MB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
bob.webm
1 MB, 512x384
bob BY divine trash
>>
>>331556672
nice meme game, love the fraps logo, very vaporwave
>>
File: tumblr_mlpq66blYd1qf28joo1_500.jpg (116 KB, 466x522) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlpq66blYd1qf28joo1_500.jpg
116 KB, 466x522
>>331556731
thanks
>>
>>331543736
Yes, I've worked on hand drawn projects in the past with no issues in GM.
It can technically do vector work too but it looks iffy from what I've seen.
>>
>>331556672
Source?
>>
File: laserCannon2_031816.gif (2 MB, 435x339) Image search: [Google]
laserCannon2_031816.gif
2 MB, 435x339
I just put the Laser cannon in my game. Working on the chainsaw now.
>>
File: friendly.png (222 KB, 967x539) Image search: [Google]
friendly.png
222 KB, 967x539
>>331557106
http://gamejolt.com/games/animal-hell-rabbits/133451
>>
What do you do when you don't know what to do next?

Should I like make a huge list of shit I still need to do?
>>
>>331557415
>Should I like make a huge list of shit I still need to do?
Yes. One approach to keep you on task is to basically plan every detail of the game on paper before you start. Plan the assets you'll need, the story, the game logic, everything. Then put it all into a big ordered list of things to do. Once you finish that list, you should be finished the task you wanted to do.
>>
>>331557415
Yea, I make a list of things to do.

That doesn't mean you're going to actually cross things off the list in order. If you're like me, you're sporadic, and you end up adding more to the list than taking off.
>>
>>331556672
0_0
>>
>>331540102
so uh

hows cryengine? is it actually free?
>>
>>331540102
i "made" a small fencing game and stopped working on it cos it was more of a project to learn basic movement and collision.
no art or music or anything

but today i found out that one of my friends makes digital music and asked him if he was willing to make some for it and he said yes!
so now i guess il touch it up and get working on it again..
Still need someone for art tho
heres a link if anyone is interested

sourceforge dot net/projects/fencing-master-5000/
>>
>>331550790
It looks nice, but I don't know if it really offers anything that the other mainstream engines don't. It's less popular which means googling problems will be harder.

I do like the look of its scripting language, but again there will be less information online since it's pretty new.
>>
i've dropped to a smaller project for the fourth time now because i keep taking on stuff i'm not equipped for

now i'm at a 90% text-based, fully-procedural star-trek-starship simulator -- no audio, no visual stuff outside my sphere of competence, minimal unique writing -- and i've still got myself in over my head

at least i'm still making progress, even though i have no idea if the game's going to be any fun or not yet, much less if i'll ever get close to getting it there
>>
>>331558058
what you making it with?

seems interesting
>>
>>331558124
right now i'm prototyping in a simplistic winform via c#. originally i was just using the console, but windows console isn't flexible enough to handle fully independent output + input

i'd prefer to write in c/++, but this way I can hopefully port most of it to unity if it turns out to be good enough to justify adding a visual component
>>
>>331554631
It has garbage time and space complexity. If you have a large area, or call this method often, then seriously consider stepping up to A*. It's pretty easy to implement.
>>
>>331558480
>>331558480
Fuck A* and fuck you too, math poweR!
>>
Just finished my character movement and physics scripts, now have to deal with actual gameplay.

It's going to be rough because I'm nearly clueless about creating child objects
>>
What's a good low level(1-2) enemy for a RPG that isnt something like a fucking rat?
>>
File: I don't know anymore.jpg (75 KB, 552x276) Image search: [Google]
I don't know anymore.jpg
75 KB, 552x276
>>331558714
I guess that's one way to make implementation decisions.
>>
>>331555976
GML is awful. It has so many problems. The only good I can say about GML is that it does its job.
>>
>>331559182
>It has so many problems
namely?
>>
>>331559054
Slime
>>
>>331559054
Sentient clump of moss
>>
>>331559054
Imp
<Element> Sprite
Slightly anthropomorphized plant
Baby version of some other monster
Bat
Animated training dummy
>>
>>331559054
Living scarecrow/strawmen.

Hobos.

Dust golems.
>>
>>331558401
cool. ye going as low level as just a language and compiler does make any graphical fidelity quite hard.

GL :)
>>
>>331559215
any fucktard can use it, learn some c++ first
I'm on my second year of programming and using iostream.h like a boss
fuck your mother
>>
File: 4,7Zoll_Orange_level7.png (472 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
4,7Zoll_Orange_level7.png
472 KB, 1334x750
Just sent it in to Apple for review.

But i also just noticed.. could it be that Apple/iOS does not cache any in-App-purchases automatically, like google does?

If that's the case i'm already seeing my first update, i got a restore purchase button in a sub menu, but having to go there after every start would suck bad...

If everything goes well though, i plan to make it public on april 6 or 7.

I'm gonna tell you guys and probably drop some promo codes for pets or maybe a puzzle pack here.
>>
File: 1431019520361.jpg (200 KB, 1135x931) Image search: [Google]
1431019520361.jpg
200 KB, 1135x931
>>331559627
>any fucktard can use it
that's a good thing though

stop being elitist when you have no arguments at all
>>
>>331540102
No.

I tried once, it became obvious very quickly that I couldn't make the kind of game I wanted to make as just one person.

So, not desiring to make shitty pixel platformers and VNs, I shelved the ambition.

Maybe in 20 years software will be advanced enough or I'll be wealthy enough to make my ideas real.
>>
>>331559649
Only for iOS, or for Android too?

It looks great anon, best of luck
>>
>>331559248
>>331559305
>>331559398
>>331559415
Thank you. I think I'll go with living scarecrow. I was planning to make the first area some type of farmland anyway.
>>
>>331559765
>>331559765
I have argument0 just for you stupid ass , deadbeat bumbfuck
>>
>>331559818
Both, i actually mainly developed it on android and at the end made a quick check how it runs on an iphone.
That's why i just noticed the purchase thing now. That has never been a problem on android.

And thanks!
>>
>>331559979
>nothing else to say
I figured you were shitposting
last reply to you
>>
>>331559627
>language idealism
Spot the 2nd year.

C++ has so much tedium anyway, and its (potential) performance increase over C#/Java doesn't amount to much, especially considering how much faster you can implement anything in those languages.
>>
>>331560078
that's right , fuck off, go suck your mom's tits

>>331560167
if you can't program in c++ you shouldn't touch a computer, stay on consoles
I
>>
File: 1393513355418.png (50 KB, 142x172) Image search: [Google]
1393513355418.png
50 KB, 142x172
I want to make my game but I come back from a crappy job everyday and have just enough to time to eat and shitpost
>>
File: 1334306830156s.jpg (3 KB, 121x126) Image search: [Google]
1334306830156s.jpg
3 KB, 121x126
>>331560520
>it's tedious
>YOU CAN'T DO IT
>>
File: c++ for idiots.jpg (53 KB, 637x579) Image search: [Google]
c++ for idiots.jpg
53 KB, 637x579
>>331559215
In order of importance:
1. You cannot define structures. This is the #1 problem with GML. There are times where I don't want to make an object solely to hold data. The alternative is to use a data structure, like ds_list, and just remember what each index means. This is GameMaker's biggest problem.
2. There are no variable references/pointers. You can use an array or data structure as a workaround, but it doesn't solve the problem.
3. Functions are defined by each individual .gml file. This makes it impossible to define private inner helper functions. It can also really clutter up your project.
4. You can use a single equal sign in an if statement.
5. No ternary operator.
6. Parentheses are not require around if statements. This is a stylistic, but it teaches bad syntax and makes code look awful.
7. Data structures must be manually managed. Not a very important thing, but modern game engines handle memory management for you. As a result, it's very easy for novices to cause unintentional memory leaks. Only arrays are managed for you.

Those are the ones that come to mind. There might be a few other things, but those are my biggest peeves with GML.
>>
>>331560595
really? that's it? troll response images?
lol fuckturd
>>
Pros/Cons of Monogame?

I wasn't even aware it existed, been using Unity. Would it be a real pain to port over the C# scripts or is the difference so minimal that it is relatively pointless.

2D game, by the way.
>>
>>331560763
>C# scripts
>>
>>331560674
going back to php after gml gave me SOOO MANY syntax errors for brackets and ;s
>>
>>331560674
I accidentally a few words, but I want to emphasize that the first three are 90% of GameMaker's problems.
>>
>>331560886
used to calling them that merely because thats what Unity forces you to call them.
>>
>>331560674
and in non-programmer terms, what do any of these mean for a game?
>>
>>331540102
no,i'm not making a game and probably never will since
>i can't program
>have got no ideas for a plot
>too lazy do even start the project
>it will eventualy be bad

why even try ?
>>
Making a 2D hack and slash game. It has permadeath unless you can successfully date and impregnate town NPCs.
>>
>>331560705
You said something logically inconsistent. I replied with a MEEEEM. Do you know how this website works?
>>
File: Senzanome.jpg (206 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Senzanome.jpg
206 KB, 1920x1080
>>331540102
pretty well.
i'm working on it since last tuesday
>>
>>331560981
literally nothing
unless you're making a giant 3d game in game maker memory leaks don't matter
no perfect syntax just makes game code more efficient
and if there's something you can't do, you just make a dll.
so really there's no problems unless you're an autist
>>
>>331560907
GML teaches a lot of bad syntax with its liberal syntax. I debated adding lack of semi-colons as a point, but it's not a huge problem. Lua doesn't use semi-colons. But the equal sign in an if-statement and lack of parenthesis in if-statements teach bad habits.

>>331560981
Nothing. This is entirely from a programming perspective. It has its problems, but GameMaker is still a very capable engine. GML does its job.
>>
>>331561106
the only logical inconsistent was your mother for not aborting you
>>
File: 6 secrets.jpg (2 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
6 secrets.jpg
2 MB, 3008x2000
>>331561093
>better post in a thread that I have absolutely no interest in
>>
I don't have any concrete ideas of what I'd want to make.
>>
>>331561265
if you think you're the shit let's see your game you nodev
>>
>>331561375
I've got good ideas but I don't know how to make them. Let's work together, we can split profits 50/50.
>>
>>331560674
>4. You can use a single equal sign in an if statement.
>5. No ternary operator.
>6. Parentheses are not require around if statements. This is a stylistic, but it teaches bad syntax and makes code look awful.
These ones I don't mind at all. The rest, yeah.
>>
>>331561265
ebin
>>
>>331561409

why? so I can add one more turd into this thread?
for some reason everyone here thinks that indiedev=free to post whatever turd
have some dignity for fucks sake you useless fucks
>>
>>331561605
>he has no game
>>
File: Senzanome2.jpg (206 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Senzanome2.jpg
206 KB, 1920x1080
>>331561191
>>
>>331561265
lol
>>
>>331561605

requesting an edit of that "hey baby can I buy you a drink" comic with the caption reading "NODEV HAS NO GAME"
>>
File: Senzanome3.jpg (202 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Senzanome3.jpg
202 KB, 1920x1080
>>331561764
>>
>>331561605
What a ray of sunshine.
>>
>>331561740
if this
>>331561764
>>331561191
or this
>>331545479

is your definition of game then you're seriously more retarded than I thought
>>
>>331561952
it's more than you have
>>
File: Senzanome4.jpg (219 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Senzanome4.jpg
219 KB, 1920x1080
>>331561891
>>
>>331543259
>>331542686

unity is a 3D engine. when you make a 2D game in unity all you are doing is ignoring one of the dimensions. the "2D" option is literally just a toggle in your project to lock the editor's view (e.g. purely cosmetic/UI oriented)

that being said it works perfectly fine for 2D, dont listen to other anons
>>
>>331561513
I should have emphasized that the first three are 90% of GameMaker's problems. The rest aren't that large of a problem. Though despite them, it's still my go to engine for 2D games. Of everything I've used, it's the easiest engine to get something on the screen and moving.
>>
>>331561191
>>331561764
>>331561891
Cool models. The two bars should be closer together. Lighting needs a lot of work.

>>331561952
>what is work in progress
Damn this is some sperg.
>>
>>331562015
I already took a shit an hour ago, maybe we can wait couple more hours.
>>
File: incompletedream[1].jpg (229 KB, 2107x1186) Image search: [Google]
incompletedream[1].jpg
229 KB, 2107x1186
>>331561952
>"woooow you call this a drawing? Have some dignity for fuck's sake, why can't you just draw the owl directly? "
>>
>>331562087

DUDE BLOAT LMAO
>>
File: how to make an owl.webm (648 KB, 408x578) Image search: [Google]
how to make an owl.webm
648 KB, 408x578
>>331562235
Pictured, this is how real artists draw stuff.
>>
>>331561952
So what is your so called definition of a game then anon?
>>
>>331562101
I've actually taken to using HTML5 stuff for quick ideas. There's a little bit of busywork involved the first time around to set up events, but it's super easy to recycle that. And while JavaScript can scar the soul a little bit, in many respects it's a better language than GML.
>>
Working on some art assets for my 2D stealth game I was talking about in the last thread.

Sprite-work is god-damn time consuming.
>>
>>331561510
60/40 since I'd have to learn how to make games
>>
>>331562235
the saddest part is all these retards using 3d engines with assets, that they can even code x++;
It's like retard strumming a guitar with all strings open telling us "look at this awesome song I'm working on"
>>
File: 1335013673729.png (29 KB, 317x266) Image search: [Google]
1335013673729.png
29 KB, 317x266
>>331561952
>Not enjoying looking at games in various states of development
>>
File: Untitled.png (237 KB, 802x632) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
237 KB, 802x632
>2016
>not using Vulkan
>>
>>331562305
Got any actual proof it has an effect?

Its a reasonable assumption, but its still exactly that.
>>
too busy animating porn to work on gaem
>>
>>331562108
Actually i'm just working on the fighting mechanics right now.
The model is a placeholder, i found it on a site where you can download models ripped from games.
Also the bars are shit right now, ue4 doesnt seem like to render a widget for the player 2 screen; everyone should have his own HUD since you can target different enemies
>>
>>331562554
>games
it's shit m8, here this is the best game in here right now
>>331562587
>>
File: 1419933082208.jpg (26 KB, 244x662) Image search: [Google]
1419933082208.jpg
26 KB, 244x662
are these the kinds of people who call themselves "indie developers", insult others despite making mediocre games and then proceed to have a mental meltdown on twitter when everyone calls them out on their shitty game?
>>
File: 1456832699179.png (368 KB, 658x369) Image search: [Google]
1456832699179.png
368 KB, 658x369
>>331562531
Wow you're right, I guess we should stop having these threads and only post if we already have a released game on Steam.

How dare people be amateurs in an amateur game dev thread.
>>
File: mikan.png (240 KB, 360x438) Image search: [Google]
mikan.png
240 KB, 360x438
>>331562531
Shit analogy. It's more like someone who can't play an instrument using a sequencer.

And guess what, that's okay.
>>
>>331562839
Instead of posting bait you could post something constructive.
>>
>>331562964
I#m talking about that one shitposter ITT
>>
I was in another thread.
My team has been working on a game.
I'll post current game footages,
Please share your ideas!
First is one of the companions face.
>>
>>331563042
My ideas for what? Your game?

m8 you should think of that before starting up Unity.
>>
>>331563042
Dynamic hair
>>
>>331562839
apparently
take a look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j55Ik20xPe8

he's your average /dev/ poster
>>
>>331563121
You forgot homer face.
Here's our main menu
>>
>>331563238
refer to
>>331563000
>>
>>331563042
Combat footage
>>
>>331563441
I'm impressed. The lighting, materials and character models don't look that great but I really like the hair physics.
>>
>>331560674
1.- This is the biggest problem of all. They kinda addresses it in recent updates, by somthing called ACCESSORS, that work with ds_maps and are kinda like hash maps.

2.- This one is KINDA implemented. You can pass around variables and force it to be used as reference with the prefix @

3.- This one sucks. You can use scripts to emulate some functionality.

4.- Bad design. Shit sucks

5.- I can live without it

6.- Agree

7.- Agree
>>
I work in game publishing company, I like your work keep it up.
>>
>>331564378
Thanks!
I'll work with artists to make materials and models look better. For lighting, I'm studying to handle in Unity and will keep on polishing!
>>
I'm an animator whos exploring game maker, and i was hoping someone could answer my retarded questions (i got a copy of game maker pro when it was on humble bundle last year, didnt try it till now).

On the topic of state machines.

Let's say i have a part of the game where it's like a visual novel, but i want there to be a mini game.

I have a 'room' with the mini game, and so i assume i'd load that room in with the state, and the code would work there.

But from what i saw in tutorials, the code in the states/script folder is whats responsible for controlling those rooms, but all the tutorials up till now had me make code inside of objects and then place those inside of rooms to work.

So how would i transfer the code out of the objects into the scripts so the states would work?
>>
>>331564849
I'll be errogant and overconfident to think that you refer to our game.
Thanks!
We'll keep working hard and consistent on it!
>>
File: ayyywebm.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ayyywebm.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
It's coming out just fine.
>>
>>331546192
Eat shit and die
>>
File: ShotGun Pong Gameplay.webm (3 MB, 520x364) Image search: [Google]
ShotGun Pong Gameplay.webm
3 MB, 520x364
Making a spooky version of PONG but with guns instead of pads. Posting spooky progress next.
>>
>>331565436
Should've just ignored him.
Now you gave him what he wanted.
>>
>>331565190
I know you'd like to have your question answered and you've heard this alot, but it seems like you could either use programmers or to learn yourself coding properly.
I'm a programmer.
I think I vaguely understand your problem, but not sure with different terms you're using.
>>
>>331565275
Em, I was talking in general, specifically people that have genuine ideas in their gameplay.
They know who they are.
>>
File: Skeletons.webm (3 MB, 720x504) Image search: [Google]
Skeletons.webm
3 MB, 720x504
>>331565573
sorry for the poorly cropped webm
>>
>>331565190
don't know if that answers your question but once you load in the room you'll also need a spriteless object inside that room that has all the code you want to run in that room
>>
File: 100px-Feel_Suicide[1].jpg (5 KB, 100x120) Image search: [Google]
100px-Feel_Suicide[1].jpg
5 KB, 100x120
>>331565623
I'm sorry anon.
>>
File: Okay-Meme-Gif-05.jpg (22 KB, 389x419) Image search: [Google]
Okay-Meme-Gif-05.jpg
22 KB, 389x419
>>331565756
>>
>>331565735
Yeah sorry, just starting out with the whole coding thing, i'll probably slap myself with what i said there in a few months aha.
>>331565983
Right, so maybe i just misunderstood something.

i have a room with a player spawn in centre, and enemy spawn at top that generates enemy. The code for player/enemy spawn is inside the OBJ of those things.

The state switcher is to switch the controls to make them work for the game, so if i want spacebar to shoot instead of being next page, i'll use the script state.
>>
File: 234082082.png (224 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
234082082.png
224 KB, 640x480
>>331565190
It sounds like you want something like
script_execute(state); in your step event of an object, and then have the state change based on some criteria. Although I am not 100% sure on exactly what you are asking.
>>
>>331565310
Looks good. Only think was that the particle effect for block destruction took me out of the NES style
>>
Rpgmaker. Wat do?
>>
>>331555832
what fiasco?
>>
>>331566193
an rpg
>>
>>331565190
I THINK you are mixing up your concepts.

States are the idea of having diferent kind of states and the program doing diferent things dependign on the state it is in. It has NOTHING to do with rooms or scripts per se. (You could see GM rooms as states if you want to, but it depends on the way you are coding your game)

Scripts in game maker, are more like global functions that can be accessed globally by anyone/anything in your game.

So, to do what you want, you could just make all the logic of the minigame with objects, place them in a room called, MINIGAEM and just change to that room when you need it.

As for storing information accross many rooms, myself, i use a permanent invicible object that i create at the start, and store all the information there, so it can be accessed by diferent parts/rooms of the game. There are other ways of doing this, but i find this to be the easist one.
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-20+at+02.51.10).png (10 KB, 339x504) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-20+at+02.51.10).png
10 KB, 339x504
>>331566315
Undertale releasing probably
>>
>>331566193
an adventure game
>>
>>331566315
It was revealed he had a switch statement with over 600 cases or something similar.
>>
>>331566319
Making a meme vidya game. How fucked am I?
>>
>>331566570
you're not fucked you're just boring
>>
>all these devs using unity, IDEs, twine.
Learn yourself a real functional programming language like Haskell and make a real game. Saying unity makes a game is like saying twine or RPG maker makes a game.
>>
>>331566524
oh, i thought maybe someone was trying to port it or something and it was such a mess that they couldn't
>>
>>331540102
I don't understand this "oh I should be making my game, shit" If you don't want to do it why make a game then? It makes no sense
>>
>>331566524
lel, i didnt think anyone used switches
>>
Reminder that overgrowth is STILL in alpha kek
>>
Unity is probably the worst thing to happen to the indie scene.
>>
>>331565573
would buy as long as I get different unlockable shotguns with laser sights and blunt attachments
>>
>>331563042
if that's supposed to be an albino, please note that human albinos have grey eyes, not red
>>
How is cryengine? humble bundle is having a sale on assets and it got me thinking on it.
>>
File: 1414814080737.gif (774 KB, 276x220) Image search: [Google]
1414814080737.gif
774 KB, 276x220
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3qzk21ZgcB_SHRXRDFGeWNEbGM&usp=sharing
>>
>>331566932
agree
>>
>>331567014
Poorly documented, horribly optimized.
>>
File: 1420323086678.jpg (18 KB, 264x379) Image search: [Google]
1420323086678.jpg
18 KB, 264x379
>>331563152
More than I've done
What am I doing with my life
>>
>>331567014
Generally considered to be like UE4 but with more bugs. Just use Unreal, tbqhf.
>>
>>331566768
Man haskell was weird. Eventually understood it.

Still weird tho
>>
>>331567087

So not worth it then? Even for smaller games?
>>
>>331567141
Especially not for smaller games.
>>
>>331566524
is that game maker lingo? i dunno what it means.
use an analogy
>>
>>331566768
ahahahahahahaha
function programing language to make games.
are you still in college taking system programming or something?
having fun with racket?
If you could say so confidently, why don't you prove it by making a game with those functional programming languages?
>>
File: 1448292115382.gif (2 MB, 275x154) Image search: [Google]
1448292115382.gif
2 MB, 275x154
>>331566768
>a real functional programming language
>a real game
don't delude yourself

there are plenty of great games made in shitty engines
there are also plenty of shitty games made in great engines

whatever works for you, works
>>
>>331567208
Imagine an electrician installing 100 light switches to control a bulbs dimness instead of a dimmer switch.
This is what Toby did.
>>
>>331566768
yeah sure lemme go make a game in lisp real quick
>>
>>331567208
imagine a lever you could pull in 600 directions, each with a unique outcome
>>
>>331566982
I like the idea. Would these attachment be cosmetic only or would you like to have actual weapon upgrades that make the game easier?
>>
>>331567039
That is some fucking nice music.
Is it yours? I'm talking about the Blob 1
>>
>>331567208
A really fucking long chain of if, else if, else if, else if, else if, else if, ...[600 more]
>>
>>331566825
That was also a part of it but not strictly related to the discussion. Nintendo wanted the game on their platforms but since GM has to export modules for WiiU or 3ds or w/e, it would require a remake/rewrite sort of like Spelunky.

People judged the creators because they had no knowledge of programming outside GM.
>>331566887
They can be more efficient than If statements if you have a lot of cases. Personally i'm more of a fan of tree-based structures than linear structures for things with a lot of elements.
>>331567208
A switch statement is a type of control mechanism present in pretty much every modern language.

switch (4chan)
{
case 1: print("Shitpost"); break;
case 2: print("Post"); break;
default: print("Get off 4chan");
}

Imagine 600+ cases.
>>
>>331564585
>They kinda addresses it in recent updates, by somthing called ACCESSORS, that work with ds_maps and are kinda like hash maps.
I forgot about accessors. They do make using ds_list, ds_map, and ds_grid tons more usable. It never did occur to me to use ds_map with string keys. Though I'd still prefer a native way so it's not always obj[?"key"]. It's a band-aid to the problem.

>2.- This one is KINDA implemented. You can pass around variables and force it to be used as reference with the prefix @
This one is news to me. I knew you could use an operator with arrays so that you're not copying it when you write to it. But I didn't know you could do that on other variables.

>5.- I can live without it
Ternaries are something nice to have, but it's no deal breaker.
>>
>>331566419
I see, thanks that helps. By invisible object do you mean you make a global.store, place it inside an obj and have the obj off stage in every room? Wouldn't just having a global.store work like that regardless if that was on stage?
>>
>>331566993
You've got it right!
Her overall design is albino, but not necessarily one. She's an exiled princess of an underground world, and her red eyes represents her nobility as well as her phrenic power.
There are low but some dark fantasy magic in our game.
>>
File: 1412558760899.jpg (78 KB, 1249x686) Image search: [Google]
1412558760899.jpg
78 KB, 1249x686
>>331567396
I wish. Squamish is a part of the same track.

https://youtu.be/R8SO93JlxRQ
>>
>>331567236
Working on an engine right now, got a C++ front end for graphics and keeping everything else functional. Monads are important
>>
>>331567534
oh ok so she's the generic "special" "chosen one" tripe

got it
>>
>>331566524
What the fuck

What does toby needed to do that required so many fucking cases.
>>
File: Viri.jpg (188 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Viri.jpg
188 KB, 1920x1080
>>331566993
Here's her concept art
>>
>>331567530
an invisible object is simply any object you do not assign with a sprite

you can still place them anywhere inside the room, they will not be visible at all though and they will not interact with other objects in the room unless you make them
>>
>>331565756
Thanks anon I'll give you a call.
>>
>>331565310
Are the little boards supposed to read アンシ? If so, what is it?
>>
If unity is so terrible why do you guys talk about it so much?
>>
>>331567774
Because we're bitter fags with a dream and no talent
>>
>>331567774
It's just nodevs shitposting because they can't make a game even with all the spoonfeeding
>>
>>331567619
It was probably dealing with enemy types or something. I can imagine a beginner (but determined!) programmer having a huge switch statement to decide how much damage an attack should do by looking up the id of the enemy.

if (enemy == "flower")
health -= 1;
else if (enemy == "skeleton")
health -= 4;
else if ...

The sane way to do it would be to have that data stored on the enemy, or some other more organised structure.

health -= enemy.attackDamage;
>>
>>331567354
Don't you diss Lisp man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM1Zb3xmvMc
>>
>>331567101
I've try to make a game all by myself and kept on failing for numerous reasons. Some people scale their game very well and has well-rounded skills, but that wasn't me. I found a team each with unique skills and we're working together to make a game.
I'd say pick a part of making game that you like. Modeling, coding, rigging, animating or from many more.
Study hard on it, and look for a team to work with or form your own team.
That's what I've learn struggling to make a game since highschool.
>>
File: Subroutine2.gif (729 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Subroutine2.gif
729 KB, 800x450
Puzzle Game, it's early days.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 108

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.