[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dota2 and CS:GO only popular because of the marketplace? Are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: index.jpg (12 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12 KB, 300x168
Is Dota2 and CS:GO only popular because of the marketplace? Are there any other steam games where you can sell virtual stuff for 300$?
>>
They're popular because Valve dumped money into pro gaming until they became popular.
>>
There's a $500 limit on Steam Wallet so these cartoonish exaggerations will never be accurate
>>
>>331520420
Both games were super super popular before having any kind of marketplace or virtual items.

DOTA was super popular during WC3.

CS has been one of the most popular games since like 1998.
>>
>>331520513
They're accurate.
Source: I have a friend who often buys and sells knives and other skins
>>
>>331520513
>implying

>steam

>wallet
>>
>>331520592
so basically the recipe is: take super popular game + add marketplace.

Why didn't Blizzard do this with Starcraft2 ?
>>
>>331520513
Have you never heard of 3rd party sites where they sell skins for real money? Look at opskins or something like that and tell me $300 is an exaggeration.
>>
>>331520825
Because RTS is a dead genre.
>>
CSGO sure. It was having worse numbers than CSS and CS1.6 until the skin update.
>>
>>331520420
Nah, they're popular because both games are legitimately deep and take a long time to master. They were popular prior to Valve getting their hands on them.

They have both been around for over a decade each (1999 and 2003). When GO was very unpopular for instance, there were still tons of people on 1.6 and source at about the rates of TF2 during its heyday.
>>
>>331520420
>Is Dota2 and CS:GO only popular because of the marketplace?

Yeah, absolutely.

The fact 1.6 and the original Dota were popular as fuck before markets were a thing is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>331520420
EVE
and before they took down the AH Diablo 3
>>
File: 1458525235316.jpg (55 KB, 708x708) Image search: [Google]
1458525235316.jpg
55 KB, 708x708
I don't think so, personally. If TF2 hadn't done as good as it did with the marketplace stuff, it wouldn't really make that much of a difference.

DotA was popular for being a WC3, with the only other alternatives being Heroes of Newerth and League at the time. League just doesn't have the same level of depth as DotA. Heroes of Newerth had some weird business decisions with being P2P, then B2P, then F2P, but I can't speak much about the actual game.

CS:GO was the natural evolution from Source and 1.6. Especially since it was going to have ranked matchmaking. It was only natural that people would move over to Global Offensive. And even if the veterans didn't move over, new people would come in and fill the void as new generation Counter Strike players.
>>
>>331520513
There are knives on websites like OP skins that I've seen for $3000+

Apparently the awper from Na'Vi payed $10,000 for his dragon lore awp.
>>
There isn't nearly as much expensive cosmetics for Dota as there is for CSGO
>>
>>331520420
cs go went from 15k-20k ppl to 200k in less than a week after they added skins
>>
>>331520420
CS:GO had quite big player base before skins, but after the update it got very very huge
>>
File: VoOWnVv.jpg (190 KB, 1047x445) Image search: [Google]
VoOWnVv.jpg
190 KB, 1047x445
>>331526314
That's bullshit and you know it
>>
yes, csgo is only this big because of skins and gambling. the fixes needed to make csgo a good game will never happen since it could possibly fuck with their million dollar revenue stream. csgo prints money
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.