[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Civilization: Beyond Earth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: PurityDiplo[1].jpg (239 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
PurityDiplo[1].jpg
239 KB, 1920x1080
How did this turn out to be? The good? the bad?
>>
It turned out to be shit. My friends and I all have hundreds of hours in civ 4 and 5, and couldn't last more than 10 hours in beyond earth
>>
The Ugly
>>
>>331440706

After the expansion I'd say it's a solid game.

Needs more content though, but I'm guessing they've abandoned the series.
>>
Civ V minus the fun plus muh diversity.
>>
it's a worse civ 5
maybe if it gets another expansion or 2 but I feel it might be too late
>>
Its fun at first with the affinity system, a tech web instead of the traditional civ's tech tree and the whole exploring an alien planet but once you get past the novelty phase you realise just how shallow the game really is (and how barebones it is when compared to CiV).

Shame, because i kinda liked it (the new diplomacy system added by the expansion is quite nice).
>>
It feels cool when you start out with the game due to different affinities, tech web and alien stuff, but it is brought down by how samey every game feels after a while. In previous Civ games every victory type required a completely different approach, in BE every victory except domination is a science victory. You research a thing, you build a thing, half of the planet declares war on you, you survive 20-45 turns and then you win. That applies to all of them. There are small cosmetic differences like settling terran settlers and sending soldiers into the emancipation portal, but it matters little because the way you approach every victory is still the same. I hope they release another expansion and make the victory conditions more varied.
On the positive is that it's a pretty fun game if you just wanna play a few matches and forget that it exists.
>>
>>331442756
To be fair, every victory in Civ V except domination is essentially a cultural victory.

Without culture you can't protect yourself from a cultural victory, you can't unlock the necessary social policies to win, and you can't really beat culture heavy civs in terms of diplomacy or production.
>>
All the planets look like shit, the civilizations have very little personality, the tech tree is horrible, all the icons look the same and the wonders have no flavor.

Only the units look somewhat good.

It's Civ V, except inferior in all matters.
>>
I played one game ever around when it came out. I went with Harmony and so did almost everybody else, built a billion trade routes and then clicked end turn after building the mind thing until I won. It's just not fun, nothing happens the entire game except fighting the aliens at the very start and there's almost no differences between the civs or memorable leaders.
>>
Is it better than Alpha Centauri?
>>
>>331440706
The expansion really made it significantly better, for the first time in Civ history diplomacy actually works and makes sense
>>
>>331445937
Just different games. Alpha Centauri is much more interesting, but also sometimes clunky
>>
It's pretty good. Played it for about 400 hours now.
The hate it gets here is just banter and trolling. Everyone actually really likes it.
>>
>>331440706
Absolutely and completely BLAND.
The game is so fucking void of any taste, flavour or anything resembling variety it makes vanilla a great and strong flavour by comparison.

Basically Civ 5 (which is already bad) minus all the fun, minus any semblance of decision-making, minus any impact of any building or tile improvement, minus decent tech tree, plus shitload of micro around trade routes

And if you ever played or even heard about SMAC, then BE is "Beyond Shit", that's how god-awful it is in comparison, even as a humble spiritual successor.
>>
>>331445937
>Better
>Than Alpha Centauri
Let me re-itterate what you've just said:
"Is a random, uninspired and bland game better than one of THE best 4X ever made?"

Hell no.
It doesn't even look like equal to Alpha Centauri. It does look like a punch bag, but for the creators credit they were open from the start they are not trying to make AC2 or anything like that.
>>
The AC and civics mod made it fun just for nostalgia's sake, but it wasn't updated for the horribly balanced expansion. It's a mixed bag, and certainly not worth the price they're asking for any of it. I'd say the whole thing's worth maybe $30.
>>
>>331445937
AC is basically an upgraded Civ 2 with a new coat of paint and some incredibly compelling writing. BE is basically a sidegraded Civ 5 (as of the expac, at least) with a new coat of paint and some incredibly boring writing.
>>
>>331446043

Yeah, diplomacy actually made sense with the expansion. Let's hope they add another one because the game can still be good.

>>331446221

>Everyone actually really likes it.

Eh, no. There are plenty of reasons to be disappointed with it.

>>331445937

SMAC was great because you didn't play as factions as much as you played as ideologies and the background and writing was excellent.
BE tries to imitate a lot of it but while adding its own style and it does a pretty disappointing job with it. The writing isn't all that interesting, and the narrator is incredibly boring. Despite being a game about exploring a alien world it doesn't feel alien at all. The enviroment is boring as hell, aliens lose their threat lategame, and while the three post-human affinities are neat it doesn't feel unique enough. Sure, they have all unique models and geared towards certain gameplay, but it's only three different ideas compared to AC which had over a dozen in the form of factions.
>>
>>331446885
>Alpha Centauri
>Upgraded Civ 2
- I will take Semantics for 500, Roger
- "A statement that describes something in a way that makes it seem less pronounced, important or serious"
- What is "understatement"?
>>
>>331440706
I'd call it more "The Ugly"

It had a few good points and a few bad point but overall I still go back to Civ4/5 depending on mood
>>
>>331446221
>The hate it gets here is just banter and trolling.
How about no?

The game is genuinely bland and poorly executed repaint of Civ 5. It gets only worse if you are familiar with SMAC, toward which it is a spiritual successor
>>
>>331446885
>AC
>Writing
Dumb fictional quotes does not make a good story, especially not when all the quotes are irrelevant and unchronologically placed
>>
>>331447457
Civ 4 with what mods?

Is there anything better than Cavemen2Cosmos. It might be unstable as fuck, but it's probably the best mod for any Civ game in existence
>>
File: 1392660096546.jpg (24 KB, 627x498) Image search: [Google]
1392660096546.jpg
24 KB, 627x498
>>331447521
Your reply
>>
>>331447581
Risking sounding like a pleb here, but I really only played with the mod that lessened unit stacking.

I can still play it for hours, I might look into a few
>>
>>331447690
But seriously, whats so good about a generic "the planet is alive" storyline?
>>
I played 2 games of this trash and then uninstalled it

did they ever manage to fix it? or did they just whore out DLCs and abandoned it?
>>
>>331447581
>but it's probably the best mod for any Civ game in existence
That title goes to Fall from Heaven 2. Literally what every fantasy 4X should strive to be
>>
>>331447913
what's the best mod for Civ 5?
>>
>>331447804
It has less to do with Planet and more to do with the factions themselves, the differences in their AI, and the quotes that further develop them. The cinematics for certain projects and researches coupled with the overall theme of mankind's inherent barbarism made for a very compelling game. It was pretty revolutionary at the time, and very few strategy games have come close to imitating it.
>>
>>331447804
>I never played the game
Then go try it

And I'm not gonna take your bait any further, so go find someone else to argue with

>>331447739
Nah, it's cool. I was just curious if anything better showed up lately. C2C got its moments, most notably being unstable as fuck on biggest maps with numerous civs on it (game's written for 32-bit, so it simply runs out of RAM and the mod is trying to cheat on that in different creative ways)
And I still advise you to go out and try C2C anyway. If you don't feel like exactly starting as a caveman unable to even speak, you can always skip to the "standard" start of 4k BC, missing only exploration (since that's the main thing you do during the pre-sedimentry phase)
>>
>>331447913
>Fantasy
Instantly dropped

>>331447826
The expansion pack puts more paint here and there, but the game still is fucking bland and badly designed
>>
>>331448310
It's actually hilarious how they released two major flops (BE, then Starships) attached to Sid Meier's brand.

Can they just spend more effort/time/money on Civ 6 instead?

Btw not looking forward to Civ 6, judging by the declining quality of their games
>>
>>331448553
I've played civ since 2 on playstation, and honestly, it's not that the games get worse, it's just that the novelty is all worn out.
>>
>>331448553
I'm with you idk what they're doing. I guess trying to change up the formula in minor ways but they seem like massive steps backwards everytime
>>
File: CivBE AI.jpg (1 MB, 1280x3170) Image search: [Google]
CivBE AI.jpg
1 MB, 1280x3170
When are they going to invest into improving AI instead of just giving it more cheats per point of difficulty?
>>
It's Civ5 with a sci-fi coat of paint, which makes it better as far as I'm concerned but I never really liked Civ all that much.
Just played a couple games when a new one gets released and then dropped it. Did the same with this but I enjoyed it more.
>>
>>331448553
I'm not looking forward for Civ games after Civ 5 debute. The game kinda rubbed me the wrong way in every possible direction. Expansions SLIGHTLY helped, but it was still clear they made a shitload of bad decisions in basic design and then had to drag them further.
And since my brother, who is still having hopes for the series informs me what's going on, Civ 6 looks like classic case of "same shit, only worse"

>>331448778
It's not the novelty, really. I can still spent ages playing Civ 2, SMAC and modded Civ 4. Hell, even Civ 3 can make it for a decent game, even if just on multi.
But the general quality of the "series" is on constant and noticable decline. SMAC was the peak and everything after it is only getting worse. Civ 3 was a very mixed bag of good and god-awful elements. Vanilla Civ 4 was just horrible, but then expansions fixed most glarring issues and this is the rare case where "mods will fix that" is the case - modded Civ 4 is the best thing out there. Same with "reboot" of Colonization - vanilla is awful, Religion and Revolution mod is epic.
But Civ 5 is just a traversy to the franchise and the legacy of it. Expansions barely help with that, since the game is flawed on the basic level. And the AI is ALWAYS horrible, no matter what.
BE goes a step further, as it removes everything that makes the Civ 5 mechanics and replace it with even more blandness.
So the series in general IS getting worse and worse, but at least previous games could be fixed with decent mods.

>>331448835
I mostly hate the excuses for the changes, usually based on single-person experiences, as they used ascended fanboy as game designer
"Oh, I can't use artillery, let's then remove stacks forever, because they are bad design and dangerous!"
"Oh, I can't defend my cities, let's then turn cities into units!"
"Oh, I think the diagonal-straigh ratio is cheating, let's introduce hexes instead of adding one line of code to take 4/3 movement point when making diagonals!"
>>
>>331450236
>"Oh, I think the diagonal-straigh ratio is cheating, let's introduce hexes instead of adding one line of code to take 4/3 movement point when making diagonals!"

This

So much this.

Fucking Heroes of Might and Magic got that and it was what? '95? And shitload of games based on squares use that as "anti-cheating" measure, so you gain absolutely nothing from the diagonal-to-straight path ratio, while retaining ability to move into 8 directions. Hexes always fail the moment you need to go from left to right and from right to left, because suddenly you have to make a zig-zag. And that means AI will have problems with pathfinding, no matter how careful you are.
>>
>>331440706
>a game
>90% based on an already existing game
>the devs used their developing time of many years to remove content

dont bother
>>
File: yo.jpg (61 KB, 340x515) Image search: [Google]
yo.jpg
61 KB, 340x515
>>331440706
Its just boring and bland. The look of cities is atrocious when half looks like one type and half looks like another. Hybrid affinities should change the way your cities look but they don't, and there aren't enough units to make it interesting. Which sucks because the fantasy behind them totally works. And I don't want to play as any of the civs since they're all boring as fuck. I couldn't even tell you their names.
>>
>>331441071
They'd be pretty stupid to do that, Civ V sold like 10 Million copies.
>>
File: This.jpg (49 KB, 1039x250) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
49 KB, 1039x250
>>331451317
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.