[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>two thousand and fucking sixteen >this is still the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9
File: FFVII_Materia_Menu_1.png (82 KB, 633x433) Image search: [Google]
FFVII_Materia_Menu_1.png
82 KB, 633x433
>two thousand and fucking sixteen
>this is still the best and most innovative magic/skill system in vidya
>>
Playing it for the first time, can I ask a question?

Would it be worth it to not equip magic materia to someone you want to just melee or is the str deduction not worth giving up magic?
>>
Junctioning was more fun and provided more specialized/complex builds, IMO
>>
>>331383965
Materia system was cool. I liked FFX's system too
>>
>>331384103
Worth it to master "All" materia
>>
>>331384103
if they hit harder than the spells, then yes
they don't really have classes in 7 though, everyone is flexible
>>
Treasure of the Rudras had a cooler system
>>
>>331384103
Don't go overboard with it. As you go along you'll get a lot more useful physical attack materia.

As long as you don't overload someone with Summons you should be fine.
>>
>>331384265
That's what I was feeling. Materia just seems to allow anyone to be any "job" at any time.

Tifa seems shitty though. I can't aim her limit. Lower stats compared to everyone else also.
>>
>>331384103

Most of your damage is from weapon attack and levels in that order. The strength reduction is absolutely meaningless unless you are using x8 ultima materia or something.

even on your melee guys you should have some utility/healing magic
>>
But the most innovative magic system is actually from a different Square Soft game that came out years earlier
And that's the mantra system from Treasure of the Rundras
>>
Dominions 4 magic/skill system is better.
>>
>>331383965
Lots of games have better systems and ones that don't make every character near-identical.
>>
lolwut

Materia was extremely broken. Fun, but broken.
>>
>>331384103
I didn't even bother about my stats equipping whatever Materia that I wanted, always gave everyone Hypers to get Limits going, and battles were still fucking easy.

If you're a Stat Nazi, learn Mind Blow with Barret, drain the Midgar Zolom's MP after learning Beta for Enemy Skill (put everyone on the back row) and then Trine later from a story boss after Cosmo Canyon which will kill most everything through the big changing point, and just use minimal Materia.
>>
File: 1307790645902.jpg (51 KB, 488x410) Image search: [Google]
1307790645902.jpg
51 KB, 488x410
>>331383965

This is bait right? It was so streamlined and it didn't take much thought to mow through everything. FFVII was casual as fuck.

>>331384125

Very easy to break though. You had shitty junctions and you had overly powered game breaking junctions. I actually went through disc 1 oneshotting each boss since Squall hit for 4000.
>>
>>331384474

Tifa, Cloud, Barret(with his level three), and Cid all are the "best" characters, since stats matter little, and you can max everyone to 255 via sources. Those four characters all have limits that can hit for 9999 multiple times. IIRC, Yuffie has a multi hit level 3 limit, but hers doesn't reach 9999 each hit, even with max stats and ultimate weapon.
>>
>>331385013
All JRPGs are casual as fuck.
>>
>>331384103
Just equip it to gain levels on it. Most of 7 is pretty easy to go through. Not counting the Weapons, the biggest challenges you'll probably run into is Yuffie's sidequest (if you do this before the date scene) and the boss you fight when getting the submarine.
>>
File: yo.png (345 KB, 1017x758) Image search: [Google]
yo.png
345 KB, 1017x758
>>331384474

I have Tifa as my glass cannon. Gave her all my strongest materia (enemy skill materia) and stat increasing consumables. Would have probably done this all for Aerith but since I know what happens to her....

Also Beta is a fucking bitch to get, took me like 20 tries.
>>
>>331384681
This. FFVII is by far my favorite FF but that has a lot more to do with it's story, cast, OST, and general atmosphere than the gameplay. The game's easy as fuck and a lot of that has to do with the materia system.
>>
>>331384103
I usually have one character that uses mostly non-magic materia, like D Blow, 2X-Cut or Cover. Usually Cloud, since he's got the best strength and great physical attacking limit breaks. Then I have one character with an Enemy Skill materia and whatever utility or attack spells I want to throw on that. The last character will be loaded up to be the mage, with Ultima and Cure/All along with most elemental magic.

Eventually you can get HP and MP boosting materia, so you can really help define the roles even better. You can really do whatever you want and still breeze through the game though.
>>
>>331385013

To add to my comment, this pic back in 2013 when I bought the PC rerelease version on Steam. I think killing Midgar Zolem before going past the swamp is one of the more enjoyable battles in the game since you actually have to put thought into materia mixing.

>>331384474

Stats really don't matter that much. It's almost unnoticeable aside from Aeris.
>>
File: Fucking Demonbane over here.png (187 KB, 540x665) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Demonbane over here.png
187 KB, 540x665
>>331385331
Do it with Aerith. Holy shit, that cutie patootie becomes a fucking pink WMD with the right loadout.

The cast sort of levels even if they aren't in your party, so you don't have much to lose by just using her short of maybe not getting their limits, but those are extremely easy to grind for. The difference is, you're going to be forced to use aerith at a certain point where there's multiple above average-difficulty bosses, and that's when you're gonna wish you had concentrated on leveling her.
>>
>>331385560
>I think killing Midgar Zolem before going past the swamp is one of the more enjoyable battles in the game since you actually have to put thought into materia mixing.
>pair up fire and elemental
>thought
>>
>>331385738

I had a feeling someone would reply with that.

Also Bio, defense stance, tranquilizer ect.
>>
>>331383965
Two Worlds II might have been mediocre but even it had a more innovative magic system than any Final Fantasy.
>>
>>331385560
Killing it is fucking easy. Getting Beta is the part that can be kind of a pain in the ass.
>>
>>331383965
The SaGa skill and spell systems blow Materia out of the water and exist in games that aren't a total joke even if you're retarded, it's not even a contest.
>>
>>331385738
>>331385954

these, once you get beta, you can wreck EVERYTHING on disc 1 because its way OP for its mp cost. does far more damage to everything than any spells you got, even shit that is weak to X element that isn't fire.
>>
>>331385954
Putting someone in the back row and bringing tranqs has nothing to do with materia.
You really only need fire resistance (and if you aren't grinding Beta will still one-shot you even with fire/elemental). Added Effect/Poison isn't necessary (can you even get added effect before the Midgarsolom)?
>>
>>331386224
you kidding?

i love the SaGa games, like Frontier, but its just "use X skill X times until MAYBE you learn a newer skill"

you know how many times you use punch or kick as Red until you learn something new? about 1 billion fucking times!

BUT

its all worth it to learn that sweet sweet DSC
>>
>>331386224
>SaGa skill and spell systems
>lol no exp system
>continue to stab monsters to get a skill when the RNG feels like it
not fun
>>
>>331386270
Trine and Aqualung are equally broken, have much faster animations, and don't require you to go fight one of the only semi-difficult fights in the game.
>>
>>331386301
i think so
i remember getting beta before i went in the cave
i used traq, def and fire element and i was only taking i think 300-400 HP
>>
>>331386476
but you don't get them as early as beta, so if you want it easy, its worth the grind, which isn't hard.
>>
>>331386701
I'd have a higher opinion of Beta if that part of the game wasn't so incredibly easy that you could dominate it with Matra Magic.
>>
>>331386472
the combos were cool
that was always cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MACWyquliyo
>>
>>331386445
>but its just "use X skill X times until MAYBE you learn a newer skill"
That's skill acquisition, not the actual skill system itself.
>>
>>331385730

Hm, I see.

I did give her my strongest healing materia, and 9/10 she easily heals everyone to full health whereas the others can only heal one person to like 80%.
>>
>>331386867
that too, its a poor mans beta at that part of the game. strong enough to mess up most enemy groups and only 8 fucking mp
>>
>>331386476
You also get them much later than you get Beta. Aqualung also costs a lot more MP.
>>331386605
I definitely remember being left in critical HP on one character with the other two dead after Beta. Then again I run from most fights if they're too easy. Still it's also dependent on RNG heavily since the snake can just eject the character who has elemental equipped and then you're fucked.
>>
>>331384125
Junctioning was shit and required you to grind whether you were drawing magic or refining items. Also you couldn't even use your best spells if you wanted to keep your stats, fuck that noise.
>>
>>331385730
Aeris is the most broken character in the game even with default equipment and no materia because of Fury Brand.
>>
>>331385730
>What is Barrier?

C'mon, guys, seriously.
>>
File: imgThe Last Remnant10.jpg (138 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
imgThe Last Remnant10.jpg
138 KB, 1280x720
>>331383965
anon...
>>
variety is better than having "the most innovative magic/skill system in vidya"

you will get bored eventually aka I prefer lots of different systems
>>
>>331387028
>Aqualung also costs a lot more MP
Doesn't it cost 34 while Beta is 35?
>>
>>331387228
see
>>331386224
>>
>>331383965
not getting every master materia on everyone
>>331386867
>>331386995
beta is for finishing golden saucer before disc two
>>
>>331385215
>I only play Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and avoid the games before IV
>>
File: 2015-11-03_00072.jpg (599 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-03_00072.jpg
599 KB, 1920x1080
>>331383965
It's not even the best system about slotting colorful spherical gems.
>>
>>331387505
Trine can do that too and it isn't really missable.
>>
>>331387223
>what is Big Guard
No, you come on
>>
>>331385331
Tifa is terrible with magic. her equipment doesn't give her enough slots for a very very long time.

Give it to Red.
>>
File: 1437511905969.gif (3 MB, 264x240) Image search: [Google]
1437511905969.gif
3 MB, 264x240
>No reason not to make an entire team of Red Mages with identical builds, just swapping around elements and unique Materia
>Enemy Skill is the only relevant Materia for 90% of the game regardless
>Buillds only start being a thing for the last 1% of the game, and even then, most of them require absurd amounts of pointless grinding
>the best and most innovative magic/skill system in vidya
>>
I didn't like it. It felt really clunky and disorganized. There was no way of auto organizing the system, you had to swap out characters to find some materia. Also, I really don't think it matters which character you put Magic materia on. Also regarding accessories, it was stupid how someone couldn't wear nothing. They always had to wear something so it was hard to optimize equipment early game. Whole game was completely easy, I didn't even grind. Last boss and area was easy as shit and I wasn't even over leveled. Fun game tho
>>
>>331387617
with beta you just put on one materia and let everything else break. and its the weakest materia so you get a bigger bang for your buck if you break all the other materia iirc.
>>
>>331384224
No it's not. It doesn't matter. You don't need to sell it to make money, you already make a shit ton of money. Also, there's no use for all that moneu
>>
>>331387689
You have to know which enemy to Manipulate AND THEN Manipulate them to get that. And that one's kinda out of the way.

Just use Wall.
>>
>>331387865
I don't even think the system is that great but both of those are wrong. There's an "Exchange" option when sorting that shows every characters' materia slots and allows you to de-equip even people not in your current party and you could remove accessories by pressing square.
>>
>>331383965
I love playing Path of Exile just for the Materia throwback. Totems, Summoned Armors, and Golems can do some crazy shit when plugged into a 5 or 6 linked gear piece. My favorite is still one from near launch where someone figured out how to make a totem that randomly teleports around casting ice walls at enemies.
>>
>>331387930
if anything, enemy skill with all the skills is the most powerful. costs nothing to equip, can give your party a full heal and status heal, multiple element damages and powerful at that, free ether with hammer, and big guard covers your defenses.

AND YOU CAN GET 3 OF THEM!
>>
>>331384334
>Start playing it right after the English translation is released
>Name one of my spells something like "Gayray"
>The spell plays a weird sound with "GAYRAY" in pink letters flying through the enemies
I still chuckle every time I think about that.
>>
File: 376473-45.jpg (87 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
376473-45.jpg
87 KB, 640x480
I don't know if Materia was the best system. It was pretty good, but mastering some materia took a lot of grinding.
I can't really remember a rpg system that it was really really good right now.
The only thinh I can say is that FFX-2 had one of the best and funniest battle system.
>>
>>331389019

I always liked the feel of the garment grids.
The only thing I didn't like was that to use Special Dresspheres you had to link up all the lines of a garment grid (and I didn't know you could turn off dressphere animations haha).

I wish they would have shown what a garment grid actually LOOKS like.
>>
>>331385331
I got the enemy skill materia, but do I need some other materia to learn enemy skills? I didn't understand how to use it or what it actually does.
>>
>>331389927
No. Just the enemy using the skill against you. It copies some enemy attacks. There are some ones that can be missed in a run so... just try to get Beta for the serpent on the map (Midgar Zolom) and you're pretty much done for the whole 1st cd.
>>
>>331383965

>no reason not to make every character the same
>no reason not to crutch on Enemy Skills
>only difference between characters on the high end is Limit Breaks

Wow. So good.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.