[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Symphony Of The Night overrated compared to the other Igavania
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 2e153dx[1].png (216 KB, 482x362) Image search: [Google]
2e153dx[1].png
216 KB, 482x362
Is Symphony Of The Night overrated compared to the other Igavania titles?
>>
Not really, considering that they were all heavily patterned after SotN.
>>
Played it after the gba castlevanias (aside from dissonance) and was appalled how easy it was. Starting on COTM might have given me the impression metroidvanias were supposed to push back a bit more. Gorgeous in graphics and music though. Cant deny that.
>>
>>331376930
All the others are far, far too influenced by SotN.

I mean, I very much enjoyed Aria of Sorrow/Dawn of Sorrow. I thought the soul collecting was the most original thing the series had done in a long time, and it made Dawn highly replayable. But both Sorrow games are HIGHLY patterned after SotN, right down to equipping an item in an appropriate fight to continue onto the "hidden" castle. Portrait of Ruin at least made that fight rather interesting.

Order of Ecclesia tried to be a bit different, going almost the CV2 route with towns and different areas, but it didn't really turn out that amazing.
>>
File: Lisa.jpg (238 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
Lisa.jpg
238 KB, 500x489
>Hates God
>Has World's largest Cathedral
>>
>>331376930
Harmony of Dissonance/Aria of Sorry doublepack on GBA was the peak of the series
>>
Nah, it's not overrated.

It objectively has one of the greatest soundtracks in the series, art style, atmosphere and great variation in gameplay.

The only flaws of the game would be the completely unnecessary stat/leveling system, and the frequent lack of difficulty.
>>
>>331379457
>The only flaws of the game would be the completely unnecessary stat/leveling system,

this literally ruined the witcher 3
>>
>>331379457
>The only flaws of the game would be the completely unnecessary stat/leveling system, and the frequent lack of difficulty.

For these reasons, CoTM is better.
>>
>>331379592
No. Mary Sue plot and generic overworld DA: I-esque camp item farming ruined Witcher 3.
>>
>>331379637
No it's not. It's not that much more difficult and everything else is a step back.
>>
>>331376930
That pic... he's going after that rare drop, isn't he? I think that one took me the longest to get.
>>
Not SoTN but fuck it
>PSP first model
>playing original Rondo of Blood first level
>everytime I walk the background gets dark as fuck
>can't see the fucking crows
Goddamn
>>
>>331379457
What about the lack-luster level-design?
>>
>>331380115
It's Metroidvania. It's expected to have lack-luster level design.
>>
>>331380049
>rare drop
What does he drop? And most importantly, why would I care if I can just use Alucard's Shield + Shield Rod and be literally invincible?
>>
>>331378183
Dracula's big on irony.
>>
>>331380264
Nah, famm. Not necessarily.

AoS has way superior level design to SotN.
>>
>>331376930
No. It had the most content and best atmosphere by far. They've all been pretty good but they're all just trying to copy SotN instead of surpass it.

That said, I'd love to see someone make a new 2D castlevania that pushed modern gaming platforms as hard as SotN pushed the PSX.
>>
It's not overrated. It deserves every single bit of the praise it gets. The only flaws it has are some unpolished mechanics and lack of difficulty.

The game can still be played to this day and be a we inspiring.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.