[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the worst game mechanics? >playing Cthulhu Saves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: CSTW 2016-03-19 22-08-27-18.png (132 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
CSTW 2016-03-19 22-08-27-18.png
132 KB, 1600x900
What are the worst game mechanics?

>playing Cthulhu Saves the World
>boss fight
>enemies get 10% stronger every turn, including the boss
>>
>>331373584
Go play some Wizardry 4 and then come back and try bitching about a boss getting a slight stat boost each turn.
>>
>>331374513
>10%
>slight boost
>fight goes on for 17 turns
>someone dies every turn as I revive someone else
>>
>>331374739
You're not playing the game right if you're still in battle after 17 turns.
>>
>>331375010
>grinding for seven hours is the only way to play!
Fuck off, I do take time to level, but I'm not going to spend hours grinding so I can blast through the game at max level.
>>
>>331375181
>grinding argument
Every JRPG, every time
You don't have to grind, you just suck.
>>
>>331374739
So kill the fucker faster.

>someone dies every turn as I revive someone else
You're clearly playing too defensively, both if you are letting the fight go on that long and if you can revive characters that often. It looks like the boss fight is designs specifically to force you to go all out, as opposed to defensive heal-turtling your way through the fight. Get better and kill the boss faster, before it starts knocking off your party members in a single hit.
>>
>>331375525
It's not just the boss fight that's designed that way. It's a game-wide mechanic. Enemies get stronger as the fight goes on.
>>
>>331373584
anon that game was easy as fuck, even with that mechanic
>>
>>331375469
>>331375525
neither of you have ever played this game before and do not know the sheer beefyness of this boss, those side enemies deal just as much damage as the boss and are just as beefy while the boss is there, trying to "go all out" leads to a party wipe in 3 turns
>>
>>331373584
>fight gets harder the longer it drags out
that's incredibly logical, though, and anytime a game does this, it's simply a way of letting you know that you're doing it wrong

>inb4 "wahh why is their a wrong way to a play a game?!"
>>
>>331375797
see >>331375770
don't talk shit about things you don't know, you just look stupid
>>
>>331375181
>hours grinding
negro just clean some levels, the game has battle limits per map, you don't have to grind for hours
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (23 KB, 480x472) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
23 KB, 480x472
>>331375770
>neither of you have ever played this game before and do not know the sheer beefyness of this boss
Bitch, please. I love Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World. You just don't know how to play.
>>
>>331375901
I don't need to know shit about the game to defend the mechanic. If he get's beefier as the battle drags on, it means you either need to bumrush him or you need to win the buff/debuff game. It certainly sounds hard, but I very much doubt that it's intended to be unwinnable.
>>
>>331375962
>I love Breath of Death VII
Like I said, you've never played it before and now you're trying to claim you love a game that is HORRIBLY desgined

You know you're anonymous, right? No one can trace your post to any other identities, you don't have to pretend you're some hotshot

>>331376201
>I don't need to know shit about the game to defend the mechanic
7/10 I'm aggravated
>>
>>331376201
no game is ever intended to be unwinnable, even the hardest shit can be done if you are up to scatch
>>
>>331376263
>I don't need to know shit about the game to defend the mechanic
I don't

The mechanic isn't exclusive to this game, and it's one of the best ways of telling you that you need to readjust your strategies. I mean, there are certainly times where it'll simply broil down to a numbers game where if your stat isn't x, you'll never win but that doesn't mean the mechanic of buffing every turn is bad
>>
File: happy mask.jpg (57 KB, 503x503) Image search: [Google]
happy mask.jpg
57 KB, 503x503
>>331376263
>you don't have to pretend you're some hotshot
and you don't have to think you know everything about anyone
I do love BoDVIII. It's not my favorite game of all time, and it's certainly not a masterpiece, but it's certainly not horrible. It's a nice little game with a neat battle mechanic.
It's not a triple-a title and I didn't pay $60, so I can forgive it's flaws, and the battle system is not one of those flaws.
>>
>>331376817
3/10 for trying to push it past being called out

>>331376967
10/10 I believed you
>>
>>331377030
number/number I can't defend my opinions so I'll meme at you
>>
Defend this bullshit
>>
>>331373584
Level scaling.
>>
>>331377595
jesus christ
>>
>>331379269
>slogging through DC later trying to do things you missed
>>
>>331376263
kek you're getting fucking mad anon, does it irritate you when people figure out game mechanics in a game better than you?
>>
File: pleased snake.jpg (61 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
pleased snake.jpg
61 KB, 720x540
>this whole thread
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.