[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>in development hell for almost a decade Has there been any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 160318.jpg (600 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
160318.jpg
600 KB, 1200x1600
>in development hell for almost a decade

Has there been any games which turned out fantastic or above expectations after a very long dev cycle?
I can't think of any.
>>
>>331329203
Black Mesa
Sonic Robo Blast 2 (even though technically it's still in dev)
>>
>>331329203
Define long > 5 years after public announcement?
>>
>>331329203
Half life
>>
>>331329332
>Black Mesa

Still no Xen, but yeah I guess that still counts.

>>331329421
2 years passing after expected release.
I guess STALKER also counts then, even though it could have been much better than what was delivered.
>>
Team Fortress 2
>>
I honestly thought The Division was going to be atrocious after its delays and how long it took to come out. But it's not a bad title at all. Fun loot grind.
>>
File: i_30436.jpg (413 KB, 832x456) Image search: [Google]
i_30436.jpg
413 KB, 832x456
Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

The development hell for the next Kirby game after 64 started in 2000 and it didn't actually release until 2011. They scrapped a lot of work and three prototypes along the way that spanned three (almost four) console generations.
>>
File: Resi4.jpg (91 KB, 300x425) Image search: [Google]
Resi4.jpg
91 KB, 300x425
>Scrapped and reworked several times over.
>Early version becomes Devil May Cry.
>Final version becomes one of the greatest and most influencial games of all time.

Literally can't beat this.
>>
>>331329203
TF2 was good. Even if you dislike what it became, the vanilla Orange Box was a good purchase, and a better pirate.
>>
Max Payne. It was considered vaporware for a while.
>>
Shadow of the Colossus

Thread over
>>
>>331329203
Duke Nukem Forever finally saw the light of day and it wasn't bad.

Wasn't great, but I'm not going to complain about it.
>>
>>331329972
>planning and development started in 2002
>game came out in 2005
>"almost a decade"
>>
>>331329863
>the game that single-handedly killed the Resident Evil series

On the bright side Devil May Cry was a fun, if bumpy, ride.
>>
>>331329806
>next Kirby game after 64
Sorry, next console platforming Kirby game.

In that span of time, handhelds had Nightmare in Dream Land, Amazing Mirror, Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad, and Mass Attack. Consoles also got spinoffs with Air Ride and Epic Yarn.

This one Kirby game was in development during the entire time that those 7 other Kirby games were created.
>>
>>331329913
Oh man I still have an old magazine from 1996 which is comparing the tech aspects of the early build with Tomb Raider 3.
>>
>>331330147
>Implying RE4 ruined the series.

Don't kid yourself Anon, it had been going down the action path ever since RE2. All RE4 did was change the camera really. It was a linear function from the start.
>>
Repeatedly defying this expectation is the reason people still have faith in Valve.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.