[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm playing through this game for the first time, and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: media_cloud_big.jpg (153 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
media_cloud_big.jpg
153 KB, 800x600
I'm playing through this game for the first time, and I'm at the Northern Crater on Disk 3. My party level's ranges from late 40's to early 50's. Am I underleveled? It's really hard, and I don't usually say that about games. I'm just seeming to die a lot.
>>
When I was playing this game in the 4th grade, I died at the first boss. I never picked it up again.

You're fine.
>>
>>331319141
I'm not sure if it works like that anon
>>
The crater itself is harder than Sephiroth. You're almost to the end, so just spam your strongest spells and healing items.
>>
>>331319332
NEVER TALK TO ME OR MY SON EVER AGAIN
>>
>>331320615
I'm trying, but I keep getting one shot'd by l4 death
>>
have you been running from every fight or something? I don't remember what level I was when I beat the game, but sepiroth died before he could even use his supernova move. ff7 becomes easy as shit as soon as you leave midgar.
>>
>>331321201
Level up once then.
>>
>>331321326
I don't think you can run from fights, or at least I haven't.
>>
just spam dat dere KOTOR
>>
>>331321506
>tfw lvl 5 death
>tfw coding fucks up an enemies attack list so he only uses a move once
>tfw ocd kicks in when you dont max out your enemy skill materia
>>
You're at the level I was the first time (a little bit higher actually), you're going to be fine. It's the intended level. It will feel satisfying.
>>
>>331319141
Did you have a manual? The game's shitty translation screws you over, you're meant to NOT attack when the scorpion's tale is up, but the manual provides a guide for the first boss.
>>
your'e not under leveld per se it just has a difficulty spike there at the end
>>
>>331321738
Thanks. It just seemed really tough, but maybe I was just having bad luck.
>>
>>331321795
Yeah, this game does seem to have that, it took my like a month of sporadic play to beat carry armor
>>
>>331318913
Depends. Have you levelled your materia? Do you have KOTN? Do you have the best weapons?

In preparing for the ruby and emerald weapons, I levelled too far, to like level 70 something. The final boss was too easy and no fun, I wanted to listen to One winged angel a bit longer.
>>
The final boss scales to your level so you're not underleveled. The cave itself is harder than the final group of bosses.
>>
>>331321931
What's KOTN? I haven't level all my materia, but I have level the main ones. Right now I'm spamming summons and bolt 3.
>>
>>331321931
>first time playing
>"do you have the best summon materia in the game and the best weapons"

Why the fuck would he have those on his firat playthrough? Why would he want to on his first playthrough?
>>
>>331321942
This is a common misconception. He only "Scales" in that he gains stats if you have any characters at level 99.
>>
>>331318913
I think that's on the low end. It should be possible but you may have a hard time with it. I think late 50s / early 60s is recommended.

If you want to grind for a few levels, the monsters in the forest around Mideel (in the South) are your best bet. It shouldn't take you too long.

Grinding won't help against the Lvl x Death spells, you just need to not be that level.
>>
>>331321812

As a general advice do remember to use your portable save point wisely so you don't have to trek the entire crater each time, if something goes wrong.
>>
>>331318913
You are fine but be sure to bring maiden kisses or esuna. You'll need it
>>
>>331322029
He probably means Knights of the Round. It's the best summon materia in the game, but it takes a lot of time (and a lot of chocobo breeding / racing) to get. It's awesome but honestly you don't need it on your first playthrough.
>>
File: level up!.png (7 KB, 427x98) Image search: [Google]
level up!.png
7 KB, 427x98
>>331321795
>>331321908
>mfw played so much and was grinding because I enjoyed it
>Massively overleveled, killing everything with Flash and 4x cut and not even taking the time to cast spells or summons

That was nothing though. I had a maxed out character with 9999 HP, 999 MP, 16 in all weapons and 99 in all abilities right after where you get Mithril weapons in Final Fantasy 2.

I admit rather trivialized the rest of the game.
>>
>>331321764
That's not a translation issue. Barret's dialogue is broken up into two lines. I guess idiots just stop reading after one and blame the "translation."

The whole line is
>Attack when its tail is up
>and it will counter with its laser!

Or something similar
>>
>>331322129
I always put it right before the final boss. Is that not the preferred place?
>>
>>331322385
The problem is it's broken into two sentences. There is punctuation at the end of the first line.

"Attack while the tail's up!" is how it appears.
>>
>>331322059
>he's never 100%'d a game on the first playthrough without a guide
Casuals.
>>
>>331322317
>I had a maxed out character with 9999 HP, 999 MP, 16 in all weapons and 99 in all abilities
Stats go to 255 tho, not to 99
>>
>>331322435

I do too, but some people use it recklessly. That's why I said wisely.
>>
>>331322385
No dude, I've played the game a million times, its "Be careful! Attack while its tail's up! Its gonna counteract with its laser!"

Don't wanna burst your bubble where you tried to sound intelligent and superior, but that's clearly two separate sentences. Any reasonable person who read that would think its telling you to attack while its tail is up. It clearly is the fault of shitty translation.
>>
>>331318913
Crater is hard. If you spent any time in the Sunken Gelnika you would be more than overleveled for the northern crater though
>>
>>331322435
I prefer to put it in the exp grinding portion of the cave.
>>
>>331322528
Not in Final Fantasy 2. Weapon Skills only go up to 16 too.
>>
Problem with first boss is that no other enemy becomes that strategic for the rest of the game
>>
>>331322668
The Sunken Gelinka isn't even long. why would it make you overleveled
>>
>>331322771
what are you talking about? there was that fight where you need to use holy weapons against the undead something in cosmo canyon. there was the fight in the shinra tower where you need to have ranged only, and there was the fight with hojo's monsters where you need to attack the thing behind it so they stopped regenerating.

the scorpion guard is hardly "strategic".
>>
>>331322029
you're doing it wrong then. the only good summons are knights of the round and phoenix, which I'm guessing you don't have. you were supposed to have been using the enemy skill materia to get trine, big guard, and white wind. those 3 spells are enough to carry you through everything but the optional super bosses.
>>
>>331322029
do you have ultima? make sure you level ultima, its the strongest magic in the game by far but you need to level it to be able to even use it.
>>
>>331323214
enemy skills kinda break the game for the first disc at least and make it no fun. if he's playing for the first time, there's no way he'd know which enemy skills to get and where.
>>
>>331322893
Because you grind the new materia it gives you there.

Like grinding the x2 cut to x4 cut
>>
>>331322771
Guard Scorp isnt strategic. Its just the same as the first "Boss" in FF6

The only thing that made Guard Scorp remotely tricky was the terrible translation suggested to attack whilst its tail is up rather than not attack.
>>
>>331321669
Wait only uses it once in a playthrough?
>>
>>331321201
Just try to keep your party members lvl away from multiplication of 4. Or just run away from enemies that cast Lv4 Death if your party member's lvl is in the range of multiplication of 4. And if you wanna grind materia growth points, fight the small orange critters.
>>
>>331323461
How do I get ultima?
>>331323214
What do those enemy skills do? I have the enemy skill material but only magic hammer.
>>
>>331324215
You get Ultima in the crater

The enemy skills are one strong attack, one grants you protect, haste and shell and the last one heals all the party
>>
>>331324215
>How do I get Ultima

Did you stop the train from destroying Corel in Disk 2?

If you did, you get it for free. If you didnt, you buy it from a dude in the Corel ruins for 50k gil
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.