[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>more and more system requirements need an i7 Is it time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (16 KB, 264x191) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
16 KB, 264x191
>more and more system requirements need an i7

Is it time to upgrade?
>>
no they just don't know how to optimize
>>
None of those games actually use hyperthreading, so no. A decent i5 (especially overclocked) is still more than enough.
>>
Such as? I'm still running a g3258 and have yet to run into problems. Suck a dick OP.
>>
it's not uncalled for but not necessary either, a decent i5 is still good enough to handle anything coming out
>>
>>331266414
No, November is. Zen will be out forcing Intel to drop prices and on top of that you'll have black friday deals as well.

4 cores / 8 threads isn't going to be enough for many upcoming games. You're going to need at least 6 cores / 12 threads.
>>
>buying games made after 2006

Get a load of the fucking retard.
>>
>>331266683
AMD would offer 8core/16threads Zen CPU
>>
>>331266596
Games don't have to enable hyperthreading specifically the OS should handle that for them. I think the thing you're not understanding is that currently games tax a single thread heavily and so hyperthreading won't benefit them because the single thread performance is the bottleneck, and when you have a single taxing thread that will prevent additional threads from being able to use that core. Next-gen game engines on the other hand will not have a single heavily taxing thread creating a bottleneck. They will be able to use as many threads as the CPU can provide for them.

To put this more simply, the primary benefit of an i5, single thread performance will not matter as much, the main drawback of the i5 on the other hand only supporting 4 threads will neuter performance.
>>
>>331266414
>system requirements
>ever accurate
Are you retarded?
>>
File: all-threes.png (42 KB, 660x525) Image search: [Google]
all-threes.png
42 KB, 660x525
>>331266414
Just did. Video card is my next purchase. Waiting on the next GTX.
>>
>>331267615
>I think the thing you're not understanding is that currently games tax a single thread heavily and so hyperthreading won't benefit them because the single thread performance is the bottleneck,
That's exactly what my post implied.
>>
>>331267481
Its going to be interesting to see just how many variants of Zen we see. The claims that its cores are grouped into clusters of 4 seems to have been disproven so we could see quite a variety beyond 4 and 8 core versions.

I wouldn't be surprised to see AMD maintain some version of its current pricing structure.
$100 - 3 core / six thread
$150 - 4 core / 8 thread
$200 - 6 core / 12 thread
$300 - 8 core / 16 thread
>>
>>331267718
I seriously hope you're going to use that CPU for something more than video games, huge waste of money otherwise
>>
>>331267880
No, you implied that because most games now don't utilize more threads that more threads don't matter and advised people to buy an i5 and chip that will soon be functionally obsolete.

You can't overclock your chip out of being crippled.
>>
File: 1435482838690.gif (855 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1435482838690.gif
855 KB, 500x281
>not waiting for Zen

do you even computer
>>
File: falconhoof.jpg (68 KB, 944x531) Image search: [Google]
falconhoof.jpg
68 KB, 944x531
>>331267941
Well it was either that or a 2nd *new* 3DS. A happy home builder bundle, imported plates, and a new memory card. Or a 3 day bender of loud bars full of people who I have nothing in common with.
>>
>>331267135
Your mom got his load last night
>>
>>331268050
>I buy new hardware in the hopes that future games utilize it
classic mistake anon
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.