[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give 1-10 score for the CRPG Renaissance.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: 1323246567.jpg (1 MB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
1323246567.jpg
1 MB, 2400x2400
Give 1-10 score for the CRPG Renaissance.
>>
File: going to die.jpg (30 KB, 256x247) Image search: [Google]
going to die.jpg
30 KB, 256x247
>tfw you fell for the CRPG Renaissance meme
>>
>>331259207
fuck off back to codex kid
>>
I want to play a lot of those games. I probably never will.

If I were to play only one, which one?

I love Fallout 1-2... So I guess Wasteland?
>>
>>331259049
2/9.
Still no "Neverwinter Nights"-tier multiplayer game.
>>
>Nostalgia pandering: The genre
>>
>>331259853
fuck off back to codex kid
>>
>>331259890
I don't even know what you're talking about.
>>
>>331259256
>>331259890
what is codex kid?
>>
Didn't play any of those kikestarter games.
>>
>>331259890
I'm hearing alot of good things about rpg codex lately, maybe I really should head there
I'll still be around to shit talk your shit taste though, don't worry
>>
>>331259991
Probably some meme from some obscure CRPG site, just like everything about CRPGs nowadays: obscure genre full of memes.
>>
>>331260103
if rpg codex appeals to you in any way you need to hang yourself
>>
CRPG is a genre that aged like nigger cum. We should let it die
>>
2/10

Underrail and D:OS are the only ones worth a damn
>>
>>331259049
AoD: 7/10 I liked it a lot but it's just too much of a CYOA
D:OS: 5/10 good combat system, but everything else is not up to Larian's usual standards including music, even if it is understandable ;_;
SitS: only played a few hours so far, withholding judgment for now
Returns: couldn't finish 3/10
Dragonfall: maybe one day
Hong Kong: same
PoE: 6/10 it's okay, had a lot I liked, a lot I disliked, but generally my feelings are positive
Underrail: 10/10 game of the year
Wasteland 2: not interested
>>
Thanks to Underrail alone i can give a solid 9 to it.
>>
Is Underrail that good?
>>
File: 1446701181324.png (51 KB, 900x688) Image search: [Google]
1446701181324.png
51 KB, 900x688
>inb4 underrail is the only game thats said to be good because its made by one person and less than 10 people on earth played it

You contrarians are so predictable.
>>
>>331260359
>D:OS: 5/10
>PoE: 6/10

opinion discarded
>>
>>331260472
That's what I was thinking. Never played Underrail, but the game that gets the most praise is usually the most obscure one.
>>
>>331259049
why are so many of them turn based though? the best crpgs back then weren't which was good because turn based is absolute shit
>>
>>331260629
Real time with pause is absolute shit and you should be shot if you advocate it over turn based.
>>
>>331260503
Don't really care. Most people hate PoE because it didn't live up to their expectations, because they wanted Obsidian to deliver. I can respect this.
But I feel the same way about Larian and D:OS. So take that low score as a sign of my disappointment.
>>
I always play these kinds of games when I want to sleep.
>>
Even though D:OS has the best combat system on the list, it still got boring after a while and it has the worst story out of all of them. So its a 5-6/10 game.
>>
>>331260429
Yes and no. It is genuinely a fantastic game, but has little mass appeal and a high chance that it won't click for you.
>>
>>331261381
The story and characters are any good?Or it's just focused on exploration and combat?I might buy it
>>
>>331259049
I love the genre but each and every one of those games had at least one game breaking shit mechanic

sux
>>
>>331261892
pray tell
>>
>>331261682
>Or it's just focused on exploration and combat?
Mainly this, with an incredibly versatile character building system. How do you feel about having to draw your own map in an exploration centric game?

>The story and characters are any good?
This is a trickier question, so I'm going to say maybe.
>>
>>331259049

AoD: 10, probably my favorite CRPG of all time now.

DoS: 6 solo, 8 co-op. Combat is enjoyable, but the writing was surprisingly bad for a Larian game and reusing a lot of the music was a bummer. Still, that combat played with a buddy was good.

SitS: 4. Haven't played it enough to give it a better judged rating, but apart from the setting being really cool the clunky combat (Disturbingly easy to misclick constantly) annoyed the shit out of me.

SR Returns: 4. Pretty shit combat, shit writing, and story shits itself after the murder investigation.

SR Dragonfall: 8. Really well paced campaign, well done writing (Nothing original but it's almost all executed well), improved combat, pretty damn enjoyable.

SR Hong Kong: 7. Dragonfall only with worse pacing and less enjoyable writing. Still pretty decent.

PoE: 7 (After patches and DLC). Was pretty awful at launch, but now that they've fixed some Sawyerisms like no longer being able to trip ghosts with grease it's a tolerable Infinity Engine-like. The story is still pretty garbage along with most of the characters, but you should be playing for the combat anyway.

Underrail: 6. Too many complaints to go in to great detail, but TLDR summary is too much of a pain in the ass for too little payoff. Also something that can only be played for the combat.

Wasteland 2: 4. Lemme just close on your sniper with my melee dude in one turn, theeeeere we go.
>>
>>331259049
Solid 8 for the lot. Enjoyed these cRPGs a whole lot more than I expected.

Balancing issues and some shit writing, but that's standard.
>>
File: 1458122585576.png (196 KB, 1211x1259) Image search: [Google]
1458122585576.png
196 KB, 1211x1259
>>331262608
>PoE
>you should be playing for the combat
>>
Serpent in the Staglands looks interesting but not that many people bought it...

how come?
>>
>>331263809
Didn't advertise for shit. It's like /v/ and RPGcodex that know about it, and no-one else.

Both communities are insular as fuck.
>>
>>331262083
Not him but when you say drawing is it kind of like etrian odyssey map making or am i going to need a pad of paper?
>>
>>331264165
You'll need some good old pen and paper. Drawing in the game EO-style would be suffering of the highest caliber without touchscreen controls.

Well, actually you might not need it, getting lost is not that easy. But it helps to calculate the shortest route to your destination.
>>
>>331259049
I give the entire thing a strong 7, weak 8. None of the games were bad (and that includes PoE), but none of them really blew me away either. Although I haven't given the directors cuts of Wasteland II and D:OS a try yet
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.