[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rocket League
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: friendly reminder.jpg (130 KB, 1175x434) Image search: [Google]
friendly reminder.jpg
130 KB, 1175x434
Does anyone here play this shit?

In only one month I've put in 100 hours already, holy fuck why are there no threads for this? Even /vg/ doesn't have a general for it?

>fun as fuck
>requires real skill
>easy to get into, incredible amount of depth making it hard to master
>great graphics and sound design to boot
>cheap as fuck if you get it during a steam sale
>real money tournaments available, if you're into that sort of thing

Discuss.
>>
>>331240920
/vg/ used to have a thread for it for a few months. I'm 400 hours in and play it while listening to podcasts. Fun game.
>>
I usually get bored or agitated after a few matches, but It's good to kill 20 minutes with
>>
>>331241196

Really? I got burnt out on 3v3's which I played for like 80 hours and then switched to doubles and it's been a blast.

I seriously can't take 3v3's anymore. I don't have friends that play the game unfortunately (although at this point I might start recruiting from randoms to have 1-2 good people to play with in ranked) but 2v2 is the best. Even if my teammate sucks (which is rare, usually they're at least "average" which is good enough) I can handle a 1v2 if I really try. Or at least put up a good fight.

I honestly can't get enough of the game atm. I'd even be willing to admit I'm addicted to it, even after 100 hours it's really fun for me, personal opinion perhaps but still.

Just sad to not see threads up about it anywhere, really wish I had a home to discuss it on 4chan.
>>
>>331241608
why do you hate 3vs3? it seems that 2vs2 just boils down to stale gameplay
>>
>>331241608

What I mean is: 1v3 is basically impossible, and especially if you're already 2-3 points behind, if your team sucks you're fucked. Not surprised Solo Standard (basically 3v3 with all randoms only, no parties) is the most unpopular ranked format.

In 2v2 though you can reasonably do well even if you get a bad match, if you're skilled. As someone who works for a living and has played just hearthstone for over a year it's really refreshing for me to have a game where my ability as a player is 100% the determinant of whether I win or lose. I love it.
>>
>>331240920
I don't really know why it's never discussed on 4chan anymore but I play it daily with people I met through other game generals in vg

>>331241608
3's are frustrating. 2's are where its at. Sometimes it's really annoying when you get slammed by a good counter in 2s because defending is rarer. But usually it's better than the chaos of 3s. And 4s are just madness.
>>
it looks really simplistic for public uncoordinated play. is there VoIP? And there still aren't any maps that actually change gameplay, are there?
>>
I was surprised by no /vg/ thread too, but what is there to discuss? It's my favourite game of the past year at least but there's nothing to really say except it's fun as fuck to play for a long-ass time
>>
>>331241608
Also holy shit playing with randoms for 3s, that sounds TERRIBLE. I rarely play 2s with strangers but when I do it's a complete tossup. Either I get someone who is as good as me, or he's a complete fucking idiot whos just warming up for when HIS friend gets online.
>>
>>331242071
There's in game voip but it isn't locked to teams.
>>
>>331242071
There's Wasteland (the Mad Max map) that everyone hates because of the awkward wall bounces, and 3 other rocket lab maps that are in their separate playlist
>>
>>331241196
>agitated after a few matches
The tilt is real. I've had people ragequit when I spam nice shot after an own goal. I've gotten annoyed before by it but I usually just shut it down and focus on play.
>>
>>331241768

I posted without seeing your message but basically >>331241858

1v3 is basically impossible.

2v2 is basically 1v1 with a "helper" or "buddy". I've had plenty of games thus far where I could basically solo against 2 people.

The dynamics are basically a setter (someone who sets up the shot), a spiker or "striker" (someone who hits the set up shot into the goal), and a defender or goalie (someone who plays defense/prevents goals). From my experience, in 3v3 you have 1 person for each of these. In a good team this works very well, but in a shitty team you get fucked because you can't play offense and defense at the same time. You can rarely set up the shot for yourself and also hit it in. You HAVE to rely on your teammates, period. End of story.

In 2v2 you have a similar dynamic with a piece missing. Oftentimes even if I have to work like 1.5 people instead of 2, I can still get weak setups I can hit in because I'm skilled. I can still steal the ball away from the opponents. Many times they essentially act as one person. 2 people both going after the ball for example, so that when they fuck up I can take advantage and get a goal because I'm more skilled.

1v2 is possible, 1v3 isn't because 2 people can constantly fuck you up while 1 person will always hang back for defense. 1v2 will have 2 people going after you but no defense so if you get it past them, you score.

Hopefully that explains it, if you have more questions feel free to ask. Like I said I have 100 hours in (steam-recorded), there are certainly plenty of people better than me (some of the best have over 1500 hours from what I've heard on streams), but feel free to ask and I"ll do what I can to answer.
>>
>>331242292
>that TRON looking multi level map
shits just crazy, I can never predict where it will go
>>
>>331240920
I like it a lot but I gave up discussing it here because people called me a shill and a streamer and refused to listen.

I hit Master about 2 weeks ago @ 345 hours. I haven't compared that to other people but it probably makes me a pleb.
>>
>>331242487
I don't play those very often but that one's definitely my favourite
>>
>>331242490
I'm about halfway through Expert at ~150h
>>
File: file.png (85 KB, 304x159) Image search: [Google]
file.png
85 KB, 304x159
>>331242424
how do you practice big air shots
>>
>>331242145

Yeah true but like I explained here: >>331242424 I feel like it's at least REASONABLE to be able to 1v2 people if I'm skilled enough.

I'm only just starting into ranked now though, most of those 100 hours are into non-competitive (because I respect it and felt I needed more practice before trying "for real"), I might feel differently in higher ranks and with more experienced people, it's hard to know. That said I've had a blast with 2v2 because I've felt like I could do so much more with a "buddy" to back me up, like Duels+ basically imo. 1v1 + a helper is what it feels like.

3v3 feels closer to chaos in all honesty. 1v1 feels too cheesy for my taste so 2v2 feels best from my experience.
>>
File: mind blown yeti.gif (2 MB, 386x329) Image search: [Google]
mind blown yeti.gif
2 MB, 386x329
>>331242736
you go to fucking aerial training
>>
>>331242887
nah those give me random bullshit I never see in a real match.
>>
>>331242490
I'm Master at 300 hours. It doesn't matter at all. Rank matters more.
>>
>>331242736

Do you mean aerials? i.e. hitting balls that are in the air?

I've asked this of streamers before and they say to go into training mode and just practice in non-ball-cam "hovering" from one side of the court to the other. Then after you get comfortable with "levitating" across the field for awhile, go into Pro Aerial training, and just practice "touching" the ball that's held in the air over and over. It doesn't even matter whether you hit it into the goal at first, just that you can touch it 100% of the time.

In short: the training is extremely helpful. Do it a lot. Otherwise watch streamers of the game. See how they play and try to copy it. Better yet if you don't understand something, ask them about it. I've watched a lot of Dareyck thus far and he tends to be a very educational-focused streamer, if that matters. Streamers on Twitch, if that wasn't clear.
>>
File: 2.jpg (79 KB, 296x368) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
79 KB, 296x368
>>331240920
its pretty fun.
>>
>>331242071

VoIP is in game but it's kinda weird.

I just communicate to teammates with the pre-made emotes (I use a xbox 360 controller so these pre-made messages would be sent via the D-pad (like left-left is "Great pass!" or up-up is "I got it!").

If you actually had at 1-2 friends to play with it'd probably be better done via skype or teamspeak. But in all honesty the D-pad commands work just fine for me (at least 100 hours in).
>>
>>331243098
see: >>331243243

Training just gives you a "feel" for the mechanics and gives you a place to practice on a somewhat real target.

You do that first and THEN you play in non-competitive and test your ideas out on a live ball.

Understanding the fundamentals is ESSENTIAL. Only then can you move forward. It will help you so much.
>>
>>331243243
>>331243858
>Dareyck
Thanks.

I have used free play and the aerial training but having infinite boost and easily predictable ball paths with no other players hasn't helped me.
>>
>>331244759

Like i said, it's mostly about getting a "feel" for it, for testing out ideas.

Obviously you then need to test it in a real-life situation. Why do you think I played non-competitive for over 90% of those 100 hours I've played thus far? I'm even worse because most of those were me raging at bad teammates in 3v3's.

But honestly, watching good players will help you a lot. Just watch and analyze what they do. Try and copy them. You'll try and you'll realize how hard it is to do some of the moves they do. It doesn't matter. What matters is that you're "aware" of the common moves that they do, how they hit balls.

Then when you play, I think a useful tactic, especially in non-competitive, is just to try to HIT the ball. Just touch it. It doesn't have to go in the goal. Go for a ball that's set up high in the air, if you can touch it in the air, that's a victory.

It's all about small victories. Over time when the small victories because common you can move up slowly over time. That's what is so great about the game. You can start out with simple fundamentals and slowly, progressively, move into more difficult techniques. And as you do you get better.

But only once you've developed a proper foundation.

Ultimately it's about making sure every time you go for the ball, wherever it is, you at least "touch" it, if not direct it exactly where you want to go. Masters can not only touch it from anywhere (including going up the wall or flying from the right of the ball to the left and hitting it then to the right) but also direct shots into the goal most of the time wherever they hit it from.

It should make you happy that there is such depth to the game. Because it's 100% skill. A more skillful player will beat a less skilled one pretty much all of the time, so any improvement you make as a player is not for naught.

Compare this to Hearthstone where even if you're the best player in the world, you will still get fucked by RNG half the time.
>>
>>331245695
damn. i appreceiate your devotion at least. haven't played the game before but might pick it up on a sale now tbhfam
>>
>>331245695
A lot of what you wrote is what I tell my friends. Don't get fancy, just hit it. Strive for 100% accuracy. Don't try to make every shot the killing blow, just keep it in play and away from our goal. Eventually kill shots will line up, you don't need to force them.

The difference between me and you is I've spent nearly all 17 of my hours played with friends playing competitive. We get trounced sometimes and sometimes we trounce.

High air is the weakest part of my game and what I need to improve. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>331240920
I think there aren't any threads because it has a reddit community. I don't even like reddit but I think these newfags just get instabuttmad when they see it because theyve been trained to.

I'm at about 300 hours
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.