[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, we're all agreed that open world was a mistake, right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: mgsv-the-phantom-pain.jpg (307 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mgsv-the-phantom-pain.jpg
307 KB, 1920x1080
So, we're all agreed that open world was a mistake, right?
>>
not really
>>
>>331198632
game that got open world in sequel yes 100%
>>
>>331198632
Not really, no. Could've been done better though. There could have been smaller amounts of outposts and more detailed bases like Camp Omega from GZ. The sandbox in GZ is great, because the base was so detailed and expansive. TPP needed more of that, OKB Zero, Oil Field, and Mansion are great areas in TPP but lack the level of attention that Camp Omega had.
>>
you are a mistake anon
>>
>>331198632
The whole game was a mistake.
>>
MGS has always pretty much been hallways and corridors. They were just masked by increasingly elaborate setpieces. Everybody remembers the larger bases or more open areas because they were refreshing.

Open world really expanded on that. The freedom to choose how, when, with what and with whom you infiltrate a base was a perfect addition. The real problem was there's fuck all in between the bases of note besides outposts. They really could have expanded on the interactivity between bases.

That said, the best parts of the game were Afghan HQ, Oil Field, and OKB Zero. I'd rather have had a few more of those than a 30th checkpoint or a big barren savanna.
>>
Not entirely.

I think a mix of both would have been ideal. Some large (or just one) open world map like Afghanistan for side missions and exploring, with a series of Camp Omega style large singular maps with various ways to approach an objective.
>>
File: 1429814479012.jpg (95 KB, 330x357) Image search: [Google]
1429814479012.jpg
95 KB, 330x357
>>331198632
i can agree with this at this point
>>
They should have used the GZ scheme for missions and secondaries

"Then we wouldn´t get an customizable MB!"

WHAT CUSTOMIZATION? MB is by far the most dissapointing aspect of the game.
>>
>>331198632
>3d infiltration choices

they are a success.
>>
A lot of cool areas with many ways to approach (Oil field, Afghan Base, etc.) but too many shit outposts. Africa felt very unfinished compared to Afghanistan.
>>
I loved Metal Gear on the PS1 so I pirated it the other day, played through the god-awfully long prologue and got bored after four hours.
>>
>>331199993
You don't need a big empty desert for that, just open levels.
>>
>>331198632
>remove support
>up the difficulty
>make helicopter travel expensive as fuck

There you go, game is fixed. It's only bad because most people spend their time going in and out.

If you restrict yourself from flying via chopper and using any kind of support, the game is a thousand times better, and much closer to, say, MGS3, where you really are on your own and must rely on whatever you can salvage.

The open world was just underexploited.
>>
File: 4MFiHFX.jpg (83 KB, 530x878) Image search: [Google]
4MFiHFX.jpg
83 KB, 530x878
2 giant Open Worlds was a mistake. It should have been like 5 smaller ones instead.

Better variety and better pacing, I can't believe I'm saying this but MGSV needed more handholding and more chokepoints to drive the story along better and give it some momentum. Hearing that you were going to Africa was a great feeling, it actually felt like you were progressing. I was so hype for a snow level and then after Metallic Archea it's "Hahaha! Nope! Back to Afghanistan!"

Such a bummer.
>>
>>331200224
>If you restrict yourself from flying via chopper and using any kind of support, the game is a thousand times better, and much closer to, say, MGS3, where you really are on your own and must rely on whatever you can salvage.

I did neither of those and still found it too easy.

Fultoning soldiers was too damn cheap, I never needed to hide bodies. Just tranq the fuck outta everything and send it flying. It should have been so expensive that you scan a soldier and say "Ok, do I actually WANT this guy?"
>>
Either have multiple smaller maps (GZ size) or make the open world interesting. Maybe different PMC's fighting each other in Africa; rebels fighting in Afghanistan? Random encounters against Skull units? Something to break the monotony
>>
>>331200545
Well by removing support I meant that as well. With low support, you only get a dozen fultons. When you can't return to motherbase, you pick your soldiers more carefully.
>>
>>331200545
This. It would have been so much more challenging if I had to infiltrate a base and either hide the bodies or just slip past them. There's no penalty really for tranquing everyone and sending them up, up and away
>>
File: mgs4_gameplay.jpg (160 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mgs4_gameplay.jpg
160 KB, 1280x720
>>331200548
>Maybe different PMC's fighting each other in Africa; rebels fighting in Afghanistan?
It's really strange that they didn't do this given that MGS4 had soldiers fighting each other, seems like a real wasted oppurtunity to repeat it on a larger scale.
>>
>>331201152
>It's really strange that they didn't do this given that MGS4 had soldiers fighting each other, seems like a real wasted oppurtunity to repeat it on a larger scale.

Last gen consoles.

No way MGSV could handle battles like MGS4 and still be open world, this is most likely why they also scrapped mission 51, they simply couldn't get it to work by having all of Mother Base assist Snake.
>>
>>331198632
Nope. We do, however, all agree OP is a melted dildo.
>>
hubs > linear levels > open world
>>
>>331198632
The open world wasn't the problem. It was the lack of content per square kilometer.
Although this poster is more correct >>331199568
>>
>>331200545
You don't really get that many fultons though. Yeah, you can waste it on shitters and have to clean out your base regularly but that also requires you to call in for resupplies more often, which can be a pain
>>
>>331201524
I don't think hubs would work for metal gear.
>>
>>331202212
>It was the lack of content per square kilometer

That's a stupid metric. Having content stuffed everywhere makes the map feel less differentiable
>>
>>331199568
This
>>
File: assassins creed unity.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
assassins creed unity.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>331202385
Yes, you don't want to end up like a typical Ubisoft game.
>>
File: 1446109892278.jpg (75 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
1446109892278.jpg
75 KB, 768x576
Pic related is where most of the funding/dicking went
>>
A lot of the open world pissed me off. The most annoying part was the fact that in a lot of missions the starting LZ was sometimes a mile away from the objective so the first few minutes are spent sprinting to the objective and around a pointless guard outpost. Seriously, more than half of the OKB Zero mission area is irrelevant, why drop me off way outside of the base? Sure, I could have chosen to start in a hot zone, but then it's just plain retarded because the helicopter takes a scenic route at turtle speed while the enemy is completely fucking blasting you with AA turrets and you have to go full lethal if you don't want to die before landing.
>>
>>331202720
I actually cleared that fucking map...
>>
Yup
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.